Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Man forget Lucius, bring back Doomrider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Started on Horus Rising audibook since I might as well catch up on all this poo poo I missed out on, or not, we'll see.

But so far my main impressions are is that most of the book is "Hahaha, wouldn't it be crazy if we tried to murder each other, well good thing that will never happen". And space marines act very human, so they're all a bunch of assholes a lot of the time.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Space marine characterization is much better in HH than in books that take place in M41, part of why I like Chaos centric books so much is a lot of the chaos space marines just still act like they did in the Heresy which is pretty endearing. I'm about to start that new Emperor's Children warband book after I finish the last little bit of the most recent Dawn of Fire and I'm hyped.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

sharkmafia posted:

Orks would be cool for the 11th box set baddies, and entirely possible

it feels like there's not really a current lore reason to be it be eldar or tau, since they're kinda-sorta on the same side as the imperium in trying to avoid everything going completely to poo poo

then again, it's just a box set, so really they can do whatever they want

Radical Inquisition sock account spotted. Not even the Imperium is on the Imperium's side, most of the time. Xenos? *BLAM*

Also, the reason I like the Night Lords books is because I like that there's a spectrum of growth from the CSM. Some of them, still 'fighting the Long War', 'Death to the False' blah blah blah, and some are just over this poo poo. That's perfect for me, because it's the portrayal that'd actually happen.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Starter set factions lately have been those who have needed a range update or are the launch of a new range entirely. EC could fit but then why split them off now? Personally if I was a betting man I'd say Dark Eldar because they're the only ones that need a big range update and can also serve as an edition headliner villain. They are also in need of their big centerpiece model too (likely Vect) and, while that isn't exclusively an edition launch thing, all of the launch factions end up getting a big centerpiece model (mortarion, silent king, norn emissary).

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Maneck posted:

You are correct. The snotling base used to be a shared model as between Warhammer and 40k. It was most famous in 40k as being the ammo for the Shokk Attack Gun. I don't think they existed after 2nd edition.

This is so validating I was entranced with those little guys reading White Dwarf as a child but have basically never seen them acknowledged since and now Snotlings in general seem to have been cut

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Frog Act posted:

This is so validating I was entranced with those little guys reading White Dwarf as a child but have basically never seen them acknowledged since and now Snotlings in general seem to have been cut
The Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun still has snotlings on the model (they're the ammo for the gun) and it has the special rule called 'Deranged Snotling Assault'. My original introduction to Orks was Gorkamorka so I've always had a soft spot for both gretchin and snotlings and I'm thankful they're not completely gone.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lmaoooooo

Horus Rising part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_urWSSZgwU

Horus Rising part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TryfqARSEd4

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This interview can probably go into any thread on the subforum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh3SY57RBcI

It says space marine on the tin, but that's only there to bait you into watching an interview about sculpting, creative work, industry, and hobbies.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I feel like the dark eldar range is pretty solid at the moment, mostly just missing modern kits for a few notable things like grotesques, beasts, and asdrubael, all of which would fit a medium-sized mid edition codex update release. GW seem confident enough in the kabalite kit to have added a killteam upgrade sprue for it recently so it seems unlikely that they'd get replaced anytime soon.

Emperor's Children seem far more likely as a new edition Evil Antagonist, as they have zero plastics and are obviously getting a similar treatment to TS/DG/WE in the not too distant future. The only thing makes it unlikely is that they're maybe a bit too creepy to be the poster antagonists for an edition, but the AoS slaanesh redesigns have been pretty good on that front.
The launch box always has entirely new sculpts for both factions, and it's only maybe orks that need a proper update for their basic troops.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

They seem to be low key moving towards giving the Raven Guard some lime light, I could see a Raven Guard themed normal SM vs EC 11th edition launch box but tbh I think we're getting EC within 10th

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Nazzadan posted:

They seem to be low key moving towards giving the Raven Guard some lime light, I could see a Raven Guard themed normal SM vs EC 11th edition launch box but tbh I think we're getting EC within 10th

I would love to see Raven Guard get any kind of love, but I dunno if I've seen these low key signs you're talking about- to me, raven guard seem to be as neglected as iron hands. Those dang black templars strealing all the thunder for black painted armor

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, the way I figure it there's only a handful of options for starter kits.

Imperium factions obviously don't work, unless they replace the Marine half. In light of AoS needing to trim down the Stormcast range for blowt this is actually possible, but imo more likely for AoS 5th than 40k 11th.

Similarly, Votann, Tau, and Eldar aesthetically parse as good guys, so they don't really hold up as starter box foes.

Necrons and Tyranids just had their chance, and their plastic lines are fairly comprehensive and up to date.

Death Guard and Genestealers are much smaller ranges, but are also full of new, characterful plastic. DG in particular just had their starter box in 8th.

Emperors' Children feel like they need to release in 11th, or needing a 10th index doesn't make sense.

The other two cult legions could use a Wave 2, but all their core units are already represented and it feels way too early to give them resculpts.

Knights are way too skew for a Chaos starter box, and undivided Daemons lowkey feel like an army GW doesn't want to push.

That means IMO it's down to original recipe Chaos Marines, Dark Eldar, or Orks. All three have old janky models to replace and conceptual space to grow.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the manager at the GW store yesterday hinted that there would be new drukhari models when their codex releases.

I went there to pick up kill team nightmare. I was thinking the CSM side of the kill team was all Raptors for some reason, I’m annoyed, I don’t really need more legionaries.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
huh warcom stealth released details of the Darktide board game

https://www.warhammer-community.com...iniatures-game/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svlPYd67yuI&t=45s

sadly it's re-packaged minis, not unique to the game. but it might be a really cheap and good way to get stuff like blooded traitors-primaris psykers and such for cheap I'll definitely pick this up if it's under 80 bucks so I have something to play with the casual normies that's warhammer related. I wonder if this system is similar to Underworlds, it has the same grid layout.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 24, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the manager at the GW store yesterday hinted that there would be new drukhari models when their codex releases.

Remains to be seen if it's one or several I guess.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

I wonder if this system is similar to Underworlds, it has the same grid layout.
It'll probably be based on Warhammer Quest/Blackstone Fortress. It also used hexes. The character cards look pretty similar too though they're using regular dice like Kill Team.

I'm pretty disappointed the character models aren't unique or reflect the game at all. They would've gotten my money that way. GW has always been so bad at tie-ins. I'm still waiting for models of the Ubersreik Five.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I'm still waiting for models of the Ubersreik Five.

Well they kind of exist, in that giant diorama someone did for Fatshark a couple of years back for Vermintide 2's 1 year anniversary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPU-PZQHEKY

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

It'll probably be based on Warhammer Quest/Blackstone Fortress. It also used hexes. The character cards look pretty similar too though they're using regular dice like Kill Team.

are those games any good? are they good for normal people/casual gaming?

just looked it up, blackstone fortress looks cool! do you reccomend it? I really like the minis!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 24, 2024

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

Well they kind of exist, in that giant diorama someone did for Fatshark a couple of years back for Vermintide 2's 1 year anniversary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPU-PZQHEKY
You know what I meant :argh:

Al-Saqr posted:

just looked it up, blackstone fortress looks cool! do you reccomend it? I really like the minis!
I haven't played one since Silver Tower, the first game of this type they put out. I thought it was great though. It has a good little campaign to play through and you'd have to run multiple sessions to get through them all. It'd be a good gateway game for newer players as all they need to worry about is their one model. Unfortunately, Silver Tower and Blackstone Fortress are both OOP, but you might have some luck scouring ebay. Blackstone had a bunch of expansions and some of them can go for a lot of money, especially the one with the zoat. Cursed City is the current version of the game, but it's set in AoS if that's a problem.

Since all that's a little confusing, here's a summary:
  • Silver Tower - AoS, set in a tzeentchian silver tower full of cultists and demons. They never did campaign expansions with this one, but they expanded the available roster of characters to ridiculous degrees.
  • Shadows Over Hammerhal - AoS again. Sort of a refinement of Silver Tower with a different campaign set in a city. Used existing models rather than new sculpts.
  • Blackstone Fortress - 40k this time with lots of new sculpts. They didn't expand the roster much, but there were a bunch of campaign expansions to add more variety and a continuing story of sorts.
  • Cursed City - AoS. Adventurers fighting undead. This one had a troubled start and disappeared under strange circumstances, but is currently available. It hasn't been expanded at all to my knowledge beyond maybe some character rules in White Dwarf.

I'm sure someone here can chime in on this. Like I said, I've only played Silver Tower and that was years ago now. If you're interested, I'd probably just grab Cursed City.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

You know what I meant :argh:

I know, that's why I specifically said kind of. :cheeky:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

really good for people who don’t already play warhammer. nice gateway drug. if you and your friends already have a big fully painted army then you’re probably better off just doing that, if they don’t then these one off games are hard to beat.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Catachans and Dark Eldar 11th edition

All IG models get a buff dude/ette version, similar to Krieg but more American evil

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

found a final copy of the blackstone fortress base game on amazon, for 160 dollars and cheaper than the new AoS warhammer quest, immediately snatched it since I cant imagine other copies being this well priced, also god drat escalation and the zoat costs 400 dollars so I think I am completely not able to expand the game sadly.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

[*]Cursed City - AoS. Adventurers fighting undead. This one had a troubled start and disappeared under strange circumstances, but is currently available. It hasn't been expanded at all to my knowledge beyond maybe some character rules in White Dwarf.
[/list]

There were at least two expansions - Night Wars and one other, but they were both "Oh, if you want to play this expansion, here's the minis you have to buy separately. Oh, and we're only doing one production run and then memory holing this poo poo."

So effectively no expansions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sort of like the BSF expansions then, although there most models came out on their own afterwards.

Although I think the Ambull is tied up in another mini board game.
While the bigger drones are just gone.

But yeah, half the reason why the Cursed City expansions were like that was because the issues that hit the first run of the game rolled so far forward that the models came out before the expansions alongside the Vampire army release for AoS.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is it normal to have Daemons in a CSM army? If you need a threatening monster for your launch box art you could use forked tongues and crab claws aplenty and still have the faction be Emperor's Children.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bohemian Nights posted:

I would love to see Raven Guard get any kind of love, but I dunno if I've seen these low key signs you're talking about- to me, raven guard seem to be as neglected as iron hands. Those dang black templars strealing all the thunder for black painted armor

The dioramas at Warhammer World were switched to Raven Guard vs Tyranids, the new Scouts have been painted up as Raven Guard, and there was something else I'm forgetting. It probably is nothing and wishful thinking.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Scouts painted as Raven Guard makes sense I feel. Especially for units implied to be sneaky and not just the usual kick in the door stuff.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I went there to pick up kill team nightmare. I was thinking the CSM side of the kill team was all Raptors for some reason, I’m annoyed, I don’t really need more legionaries.

If you just throw jump packs on them they will read as Raptors, I did that with a squad and I'm way happier with how they look than the actual Raptor/Warp Talon models

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

Starter set factions lately have been those who have needed a range update or are the launch of a new range entirely. EC could fit but then why split them off now?

Because they split off the other three already.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 24, 2024

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

There were at least two expansions - Night Wars and one other, but they were both "Oh, if you want to play this expansion, here's the minis you have to buy separately. Oh, and we're only doing one production run and then memory holing this poo poo."

So effectively no expansions.

Haha, I completely forgot about those. Now I remember there were some breakdowns on how much you'd have to buy and they were insane. Like you'd wind up with an entire vampire counts army at the end.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Haha, I completely forgot about those. Now I remember there were some breakdowns on how much you'd have to buy and they were insane. Like you'd wind up with an entire vampire counts army at the end.

picked up blackstone fortress, found a good price for it and it was apparently the last one they had in stock, so i snatched it. I'm perfectly fine to keep it to a single purchase with no expansions, and the minis alone I'm super excited to have in my 40k collection. thanks for the info!

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Cooked Auto posted:

Scouts painted as Raven Guard makes sense I feel. Especially for units implied to be sneaky and not just the usual kick in the door stuff.

There seems to have been a bit of an effort from Gallowdark onwards to paint the Kill Team releases (and depict them in art) as something other than the chosen ‘eavy metal main subfaction. Raven Guard scouts, orange squats, turquoise necrons, blue dark eldar. It’s a minor detail but kind of fun to see.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
cursed city left a really bad impression on me. rolling to act then rolling for success in a game barely more complex than heroquest just felt like time-chewing filler. even old WHQ with the tiles felt better. i'd never play cursed city over a game like descent or gloomhaven.

the darktide game looks like the combat arena games GW occasionally puts out, but this time using the kill team game math. it looks like a good way to teach people KT without needing to learn the game's targeting/cover/hiding rules at the same time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GhastlyBizness posted:

There seems to have been a bit of an effort from Gallowdark onwards to paint the Kill Team releases (and depict them in art) as something other than the chosen ‘eavy metal main subfaction. Raven Guard scouts, orange squats, turquoise necrons, blue dark eldar. It’s a minor detail but kind of fun to see.

Someone finally realised that Space Marines are more than just Ultramarines and Dark Angels. :v:

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
So rumors floating around that everything red on this sheet is going to legends.

People are pretty mad.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I think all of those were confirmed in the various reviews of the codex.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

rantmo posted:

I think all of those were confirmed in the various reviews of the codex.

The grot-tanks and squiggoths weren't mentioned but were assumed as part of the forgeworld to legends pipeline by anyone sensible. The people that bought 8 grot-tanks in the last week and a half however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

So rumors floating around that everything red on this sheet is going to legends.

It's not a rumour they updated the 40k downloads page today

Just lol at anyone rushing out to buy FW models at the rate those units are getting axed these days