Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

They are pretty hardcore about sending anything that doesn’t have a model (or for which the model is too old) to Legends, and not writing datasheets that they don’t make models for.

Unless you’re a Sister of Silence!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

So rumors floating around that everything red on this sheet is going to legends.

Everything in red on that list isn't in the codex. However, there are two separate groups included here, plus some minor misunderstandings

These units are Forge World units with datasheets in an Imperial Armour index. Nobody knows what's happening to these yet: They're all in Legends now.
  • Big Trakk
  • Grot Tanks and Mega-Tanks
  • Kill Tanks
  • Mega-Dread and Meka-Dread
  • Nobz on Warbikes
  • Squiggoth
  • Warboss on Warbike

These aren't in the codex or the IA index. They're almost certainly legends-bound:
  • Boss Zagstruk
  • Kaptin Badrukk
  • Mad Doc Grotsnik
  • Mekboy Workshop
  • Nob with Waaagh Banner - Technically retired but his ability was converted to the Bully Boyz detachment

And the rest:
  • Big Mek with Kustom Force-Field - Big Meks got a new mini and a complete overhaul. e: The old datasheet is in the Legends doc though.
  • Gargantuan Squiggoth - It's in the IA index but not your list. GW still sells it, too. e: Trapped in limbo. Doesn't appear on the Legends docs or on current ones.
  • Nob on Smasha Squig - Also not on your list but another extinct datasheet. Folded back into Squighog units and the Squigosaur Boss sheet. e: Didn't end up in legends because the leader of a squighog unit is a nob.

e: Hm, didn't see they updated Legends and the points costs docs just now

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 24, 2024

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I'm not seeing the updated downloads

edit - the legends sheets are updated, nothing else. I was hoping for a sneaky early balance slate lol

Tangy Zizzle fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 24, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

xtothez posted:

It's not a rumour they updated the 40k downloads page today

Just lol at anyone rushing out to buy FW models at the rate those units are getting axed these days

If you're going to buy forgeworld, buy it cause you want a cool model

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it sucks that they're axing the FW datasheets because a bunch of them worked well for looted vehicle conversions and such

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Being obliged to buy expensive hunks of resin that have ended up being a load bearing pillar of every competitive list is bad.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Difficult to avoid when a lot of the surrounding ecosystem seems to be focused on "competitive tournament" aspect of the game which obviously leads to disappointment when balance and model range changes are made.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm not sure how it would help Orks but the answer to Forgeworld resin woes consists of a plastic Scorpion II and Vampire Hunter/Raider.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
Having models you own become unplayable isn't great, but there's almost nothing that can't be a proxy for something else. Also lol to people who buy expensive tournament lists. It was tough to feel any sympathy back in 9th when ork players with nine squigbuggies got upset about the nerfs.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Potentially unpopular opinion here, but Orks fit the theme and the tone of the game the first few editions, but now they feel tonally inconsistent with the rest of the armies. Over the course of 40k's life it seems like GW has made a conscious effort to slightly change the theme of 40k to something slightly more serious and less slapstick or goofy, which happens to be the main characteristics of Orks.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I think that's why it's crucial for 40k orks to be like they are, they're a very necessary counterpoint.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Potentially unpopular opinion here, but Orks fit the theme and the tone of the game the first few editions, but now they feel tonally inconsistent with the rest of the armies. Over the course of 40k's life it seems like GW has made a conscious effort to slightly change the theme of 40k to something slightly more serious and less slapstick or goofy, which happens to be the main characteristics of Orks.

I think having looted Imperial vehicles and weapons also made them feel a little more integral to the setting as well

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

rantmo posted:

I think that's why it's crucial for 40k orks to be like they are, they're a very necessary counterpoint.

What rantmo said - They're a foil to the grimdark. They're what allows you to maintain the satire, (See also: Infinite and the Divine, Night Lords novels, etc.) and if anything, we should have more nods to it than less.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think the grimdark poo poo is lame and I really dislike the painting style when you see it anywhere other than in a painting video. More stuff should be like orks.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The original grimdark themes as outlined here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYR2W35YIjw were about showing how dysfunctional and broken the Imperium of Man is.

These days people revel in how edgy and dark it is instead, and it's supposed to be cool how everyone commits genocide daily instead of well the opposite of that.

Edit: Going through Horus Rising, and those themes are still there. Even before the Heresy started the book constantly shows how everyone goes against the Emperor's beliefs and ideals. Or you could say the heresy was already happening even before Horus started his march on Terra. But I don't know how much of that comes up in 40K setting.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 25, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

imo its less that 40k is 'serious now' and more that orks are the one faction that doesn't take themselves seriously

but to pick a few examples at random: sisters of battle have a tank that fires rockets from a pipe organ, necrons have a transport that is basically a giant ribcage, and almost every faction in the game insists on running into melee combat to stab each other with swords. including the 40-foot tall walkers, which carry chainsaw swords the size of a car

40k is still very loving goofy, the characters other than orks are just convinced that it is serious. some players are apparently convinced of this too

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The newest ork release is a big mek with a giant drill on a waldoed arm and a big goofy 50s raygun. He was released in a boxed set with a giant ork mecha with the proportions of a teddy bear, built out of scrap. Before that, the big release was barbarian ork cavalry riding creatures that are half head and 1/3 mouth, with the proportions and coloring of a turnip. I think orks are doing pretty okay when it comes to silliness.

I would agree with you when it comes to AOS though. Thankfully, that's mostly offset by the fact that most of the zaniness got bumped to Gloomspite Gitz.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
40k is very serious, that's why there's a lady wearing a cathedral for a helmet playing the organ that shoots missiles out of the pipes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And yet Orks clearly used to be more silly than they are now

xtothez posted:

James you idiot, you MTO'd the wrong dread

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
idk Kommandos are still pretty silly

One of them is still wearing a beanie and has a space tommy gun. The Burna Boy has, well, burns all up his arms and he's wearing an oven mitt to hold his Burna. There's a guy with knives in each hand and also a knife in his mouth. The Nob is wearing an officer hat and a leather vest. There's a Kommando Grot and a Squig with dynamite strapped to it. The Comms Boy has a Shock Pistol that's basically just a big rear end spring.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

And yet Orks clearly used to be more silly than they are now

no, they used be more 90's than they are now. entirely different metric

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

At least to me all the new Kommandos look cool, I wouldn't call any of them silly or funny, with the exception of stuff like distraction grot and bomb squig tokens.

The oven mitt isn't really an oven mitt unless you paint it in a bright checkerboard pattern. Not like all of my guards aren't wearing huge mitts to hold their special weapons, and I don't see them being described as comedic relief all that often.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You're right. The other armies should be removed from the game.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Eej posted:

One of them is still wearing a beanie and has a space tommy gun. The Burna Boy has, well, burns all up his arms and he's wearing an oven mitt to hold his Burna. There's a guy with knives in each hand and also a knife in his mouth. The Nob is wearing an officer hat and a leather vest. There's a Kommando Grot and a Squig with dynamite strapped to it. The Comms Boy has a Shock Pistol that's basically just a big rear end spring.

tbh these models own. so much character

i should probably make an orks army at some point

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Eej posted:

Ork Commandos rule. Especially if you sing "Ork Commandos! Buy all our playsets and toys!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0n5ft-geXc

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Bad news everybody
That adepta sororitas combat patrol for 80 bucks including shipping WAS too good to be true. I got my money back but my heart is very heavy

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Do Space Marine Scouts not get a heavy weapon anymore? I was playing around in new recruit and didn't see an option for it.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
The ork kommando with the beanie is so good. Real 60’s British war comics vibes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Do Space Marine Scouts not get a heavy weapon anymore? I was playing around in new recruit and didn't see an option for it.

no, they still get a heavy bolter or missile launcher on every fifth guy. the sniper rifles are also heavy and got beefed up, but they're also 1:5 (albeit not shared with the HB/ML slot)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

sharkmafia posted:

imo its less that 40k is 'serious now' and more that orks are the one faction that doesn't take themselves seriously

but to pick a few examples at random: sisters of battle have a tank that fires rockets from a pipe organ, necrons have a transport that is basically a giant ribcage, and almost every faction in the game insists on running into melee combat to stab each other with swords. including the 40-foot tall walkers, which carry chainsaw swords the size of a car

40k is still very loving goofy, the characters other than orks are just convinced that it is serious. some players are apparently convinced of this too

Don't forget Deathguard, which embraces grossness in silly ways. Fat plaguemarines that are overflowing their armor, slime and entrails dragging behind their war machines, and sassy little nurglings all over the place.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh yeah how can you forget Sassy Nurgling

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

It's criminal there's no precious nurgling collection box.

I want every single little nurgling that's been made, especially that sassy one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

A starter-box sized set but it's just every faction's Weird Little Guys

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A starter-box sized set but it's just every faction's Weird Little Guys

oh my god

Ratlings Vs. Grots Vs. Plaguelings Vs. Termagaunts Vs. Tau Drones Vs. Kroothounds Vs. Whatever.

It's perfect.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I remember when 3rd changed the orks style to the current mad max one and left behind the more silly and colorful parts of 90's era orks. Some nerds cried really hard about that change. Nerds, nerds never change.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

I remember when 3rd changed the orks style to the current mad max one and left behind the more silly and colorful parts of 90's era orks. Some nerds cried really hard about that change. Nerds, nerds never change.

it was a bad change at the time! this is at the beginning of 3e, where they got rid of almost all of the goofy ork weapons, made orks surprisingly bad at close combat, and strictly limited their access to vehicles. plus, the only new plastics were the relatively skinny plastic gorkamorka orks, which were just okay.

it wasn't until the codex that they got some of the goofy stuff back (albeit in much tamer form) and GW released the brian nelson plastics with the giant heads and lantern jaws. people were a lot more positive about orks after that, although they still had some problems.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Munitorum Field Manual is up.

Cease to Hope posted:

it was a bad change at the time! this is at the beginning of 3e, where they got rid of almost all of the goofy ork weapons, made orks surprisingly bad at close combat, and strictly limited their access to vehicles. plus, the only new plastics were the relatively skinny plastic gorkamorka orks, which were just okay.

it wasn't until the codex that they got some of the goofy stuff back (albeit in much tamer form) and GW released the brian nelson plastics with the giant heads and lantern jaws. people were a lot more positive about orks after that, although they still had some problems.

It was a huge change, both in rules, lore and aesthetic, people getting mad at it was to be expected, just like it happens now everytime there's a substantial change. Fortunately, time has proved that going the GorkaMorka route was a home-run decision.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/25/warhammer-40000-metawatch-points-changes-inbound-in-the-latest-munitorum-field-manual/

Points updates are out!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Am I stupid or are the ork changes the same as January except the FW models got removed?

I guess it's just relative to the codex when January was relative to index?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yep all the good stuff in guard went up in points. Not surprising given the win rate.