Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

But the testing, done by polymerase chain reaction, or PCR, cannot distinguish between live virus or fragments of viruses that could have been killed by the pasteurization process.

next: just because we found culturable virus doesn't mean you can get infected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Steve Yun posted:

if there’s any way to n95 my nostrils I would do that first

The readimask trick works. it looks goofy as gently caress, but as long as you concentrate on breathing through your nose and not inhaling while talking, it should a pretty good line of defense.

I'd post the videos of it being tested, but I'm phone posting right now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there anything the vaccine cannot do?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

sterilize the virus

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I've always wanted chickens as pets and now that I finally have the chance I'm trying to decide if building a coop and getting a few hens would be a terrible idea or an amazing idea. Goons?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

yea. called it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

I've always wanted chickens as pets and now that I finally have the chance I'm trying to decide if building a coop and getting a few hens would be a terrible idea or an amazing idea. Goons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9V78UbdzWI&t=32s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lacrosse posted:

It’s a good idea.

Don’t listen to the haters.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
there's a study a decade old that shows pasteurization doesn't eliminate influenza A. evidence the FDA has put forth showing pasteurized flu milk is safe to drink? zero

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7197747/

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
need that giga-pasteurization where i can taste the char

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this whole article is amazing lol

quote:

H5N1 bird flu virus particles found in pasteurized milk but FDA says commercial milk supply appears safe

Testing conducted by the Food and Drug Administration on pasteurized commercially purchased milk has found genetic evidence of the H5N1 bird flu virus, the agency confirmed Tuesday. But the testing, done by polymerase chain reaction, or PCR, cannot distinguish between live virus or fragments of viruses that could have been killed by the pasteurization process.

The agency said it has been trying to see if it could grow virus from milk found to contain evidence of H5N1, which is the gold standard test to see if there is viable virus in a product. The lengthy statement the agency released does not explicitly say FDA laboratories were unable to find live virus in the milk samples, but it does state that its belief that commercial, pasteurized milk is safe to consume has not been altered by these findings.

“To date, we have seen nothing that would change our assessment that the commercial milk supply is safe,” the statement said.

The document was long on assurances but short on details of what has been undertaken or found. It does not specify how many commercial samples were taken or in how many markets, nor does it indicate what percentage of the samples were PCR-positive for H5N1. The statement did not indicate if the testing suggested the amounts of viral genetic material in the milk were low or high.

The FDA, which has been dodging questions for some time about the work it is doing to assess the safety of the milk supply, said it did the commercial survey as part of its efforts to assess the federal-state milk safety system in the context of the current outbreak of H5N1 bird flu in dairy cows in at least eight states across the country. As of Monday, 33 outbreaks in herds have been confirmed.

“Some of the samples collected have indicated the presence of [H5N1] using quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) testing,” the FDA wrote in a statement.

The FDA reiterated Tuesday that it believes the pasteurization process is “very likely" to inactivate H5N1, though the agency acknowledged that no studies have been done testing the impact of pasteurization on H5N1 viruses.

The virus, which has been causing outbreaks around the world for more than a quarter century, had previously not been seen to infect cows.

“Data from previous studies that serve as the underpinnings of the FDA’s current milk supply safety assessment show that pasteurization is very likely to effectively inactivate heat-sensitive viruses, like H5N1, in milk from cows and other species,” the FDA wrote.

The FDA emphasized Tuesday that testing of commercially available milk is ongoing, and this includes efforts to discern any potential differences between different dairy products, such as cream and whole milk.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

It’s a good idea.

:justflu:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Platystemon posted:

If only her daughter had been wearing an N95 this tragedy could have been avoided

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The US keeps millions of chickens in secret farms to make flu vaccines

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Every time I see this emote I feel bad that I forgot the border on the right side :negative:

Anyone know if admins will update it if I get them a fixed version?

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

U-DO Burger posted:

this whole article is amazing lol

quote:

but it does state that its belief that commercial, pasteurized milk is safe to consume has not been altered

commercial pasteurized milk beliefs!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-apr-13-me-hilleman13-story.html posted:

Hilleman was reading the New York Times in his basement office at Walter Reed on April 17, 1957, when he saw an article about a flu outbreak in Hong Kong that had already afflicted 250,000 people. He was struck by a reference to “glassy-eyed children,” which suggested high fevers.

In his usual earthy manner, he recalled later, “I said, ‘Son of a bitch. This is pandemic flu.’ ”

He ordered U.S. Army researchers to collect throat swabs from some of the Hong Kong victims, and his team worked nine 14-hour days to isolate the virus, which he showed to be a new strain of influenza. Blood samples from the U.S. public showed no resistance to the virus, indicating that it had the potential to cause deaths on a large scale.

Hilleman notified public health authorities about the danger and provided samples of the virus to vaccine manufacturers.

He also insisted that chicken breeders spare the lives of roosters that otherwise would have been slaughtered, allowing them to fertilize the 40 million eggs that were used to prepare the new vaccine.

This was twenty‐four years after the discovery of influenza virus under the microscope.

Consider what advancements we have made in the sixty‐seven years since. :nsa:

e: I regret to inform you that Hilleman has been cancelled for castigating our brave medical professionals.

https://mag.uchicago.edu/science-medicine/man-who-developed-40-vaccines posted:

Hilleman’s standards were high and his tolerance for mistakes was low. When he discovered Merck’s manufacturing division had tweaked his chemical inactivation process for the hepatitis B vaccine, creating the possibility of infecting children, he summoned the team for a legendary meeting, castigating them all as “goddamn meatheads.”

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Apr 24, 2024

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

quote:

Second, no university should permit full-face masking on their campus. This would not jeopardize the health of any persons — you could wear a medical mask to prevent the spread of viruses like Covid. But entire face coverings intended to disguise an individual should not be allowed on any university environment. This is not a free speech issue. It’s a public safety imperative.

ADL coming for Covid thread

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/23/opinions/columbia-university-protests-greenblatt/index.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
listen

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
do you want to know a secret

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
do you promise not to tell

whoa oh oh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
the government has secret chicken farms to make flu vaccines

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

hidden chooks. hidden jabs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7361134579987516715

dairy workers with flu symptoms are refusing to get tested

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Apr 24, 2024

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

:crnasickos:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Udderly ridiculous.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

how tf does each egg produce only 1 vaccine

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
An Mpox update!

Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update. There was about a two month gap without any cases reported.

WA State Mpox Dashboard
pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	741	+2
Hosp.	21	-
pre:
Recent
Week	Cases	Change
Apr-07	1	+1
Apr-14	1	+1
pre:
Older
Year	Quarter	Cases
2024	1st	5
2023	4th	28
2023	3rd	11
2023	2nd	9
2023	1st	30
2022	4th	55
2022	3rd	417
2022	2nd	207
2022	1st	0

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Platystemon posted:

It’s a good idea.

Thanks :) I spoke to a bird vet about this and they said if I keep my chicken run covered they should be safe from H5N1.

Besides, if we're all about to die I might as well get a little bit of joy before the end

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm going to now think those weird farms in almost completely abandoned places in Arizona are secret vaccine farms.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Well my mom finally got got. What's the fastest way to get a pax scrip now that test to treat is binned?

for those keeping score, it's now been 3 days since my mom started having covid symptoms and a prescription for paxlovid on account of being a very old lady with a bunch of auto-immune poo poo

her pharmacy still hasn't gotten the pax in stock yet

t o o l s

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

for those keeping score, it's now been 3 days since my mom started having covid symptoms and a prescription for paxlovid on account of being a very old lady with a bunch of auto-immune poo poo

her pharmacy still hasn't gotten the pax in stock yet

t o o l s

ah thats hosed :(

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

no lube so what posted:

ah thats hosed :(

if only someone who had something real similar to this happen before had some stashed and dropped it off to her on day 1 right after her doctor cleared her to take it

but that would be hoarding and bypassing the infinite, undeniable wisdom of this healthcare system that keeps trying to kill us, and we cant have that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phew. What a relief.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Phew. What a relief.

wow what a remarkably small number and not literally hundreds of thousands of animals in a poorly-regulated inhumane food industry just waiting to boil over into another animal reservoir possibly humans cool

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
i'm sorry i did your joke badly with more words but something something they say using as many words as possible is the essence of comedy right

anyways, this poo poo sucks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CIDRAP: Contaminated meat likely source of avian flu that killed bush dogs in UK zoo, preprint suggests

quote:

In the absence of evidence of other routes of exposure, the source of infection is thought to be frozen shot wild birds or game fed to the bush dogs, although the animals could have eaten sick wild birds that landed in their enclosure, the authors said.

"Clearly the feeding of wild shot birds to captive carnivores whilst infection pressure is high in wild birds should be discouraged in line with similar recommendations given to keepers of birds of prey, or in alternative, a rigorous risk assessment should be carried out before any carcass is fed to any of these animals," they wrote.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

its in the air its in the milk its in the blood

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Too underprivileged to afford the $45-a-term tuition, Maurice applied for and won a full scholarship from Montana State College and after graduating with majors in microbiology and chemistry in 1941, Hilleman won a fellowship to the University of Chicago.

That was a lot of money in those days.

It’s just about a thousand dollars in today’s money, which makes Hilleman’s poverty more pronounced, but imagine if state school were that affordable now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Lacrosse posted:

Thanks :) I spoke to a bird vet about this and they said if I keep my chicken run covered they should be safe from H5N1.

Besides, if we're all about to die I might as well get a little bit of joy before the end

a beautiful little Carolina wren set up a nest in my coop and I have to evict her :( at least she hadn’t laid yet, but it still bums me out.

it surprised me just how small the gap was she fit through. on the flip side I have had chickens for 3 years and this is the first time I’ve ever had a wild bird join them.

get chickens goon, they’re awesome. if you have a small area build a chicken tractor so they don’t destroy one patch of yard.