Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/RickABright/status/1783178470681407834

Did anyone else caught that presser too?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/idea_alchemist/status/1782935124482363775?s=46

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Denmark puts its best and brightest on the Case of the Pandemic That Went Missing. Enter the RAToothbrush.

https://nyheder-tv2-dk.translate.go...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

quote:

School students have developed a toothbrush that can test you for corona

Over three days, over 200 young people have gathered in Copenhagen to show off the projects they have researched during the school year. A toothbrush head that tests you for corona every day. The brush head reduces the possible spread of infection and is easy to use.

Jonathan Elias Ewald aged 11, Mie Rowlandson Stokholm aged 13 and Alexandru Stanculescu aged 12 are the brains behind the solution-oriented idea. They are in the 6th grade at Sankt Petri School in Copenhagen, and here they represent the school in the Young Researchers competition. The group is responsible for one of the 100 final projects. 31 of the projects are made by young people from the capital area.

A new and scientific arena

Young Researchers is a natural science talent competition for students in primary school and secondary education.

- This is the first time that I am at a competition that deals with my interests, says Mie Rowlandson Stokholm. She points out that the school yard is often characterized by sports and especially football, where she does not feel at home.

For teammate Jonathan Elias Ewald, just such a competition is also of great importance.

- It means quite a lot. In the past, it was only football and handball. Now the focus is much more on science, and that children are also allowed to show their attitude to the world's science, he says.

Therefore, the project manager behind Young Researchers also wants to create a space for the young sprouts that has not existed before.

- The competition helps to give a sense of community, which strengthens well-being. It is also an arena where you can improve your skills, says project manager Katrine Bruhn Holck.

The competition runs over three days, where family, friends, schools and other interested parties can stop by Forum in Frederiksberg and see the many research projects.

Nerves outside the clothes

Mie Rowlandson Stokholm had been looking forward to the final for a long time.

- I am very excited and nervous. What if it doesn't go as you had hoped? she said before the big decision.

There had been bids for the whole big award show in Imperial, where the competition later moved to. Here was full of shiny medals, banners and red carpet. The young team won a bubble prize for their project. They were honored with a large check for 1000 kroner, and they received a nice tribute on stage for the great work. The whole group is ready to take part in the competition again next year.

"Nerves outside the clothes" is, incidentally, the main symptom of the cool new variant that just dropped.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Apr 24, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Used up all of our state of emergency declarations on eclipse viewing

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

so what im hearing is they arent going to test the sick dairy workers, theyre not going to release the genomic sequences, and they're still claiming its "asymptomatic" in livestock despite the reduced milk production and dead cows

also dont look at poultry litter, dont even think of looking at poultry litter

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Article:

We're not birds.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

$0.69 per pound of fertilizer is pretty good, hard to argue with savings like that

https://morganbulkinc.com/product/poultry-litter/

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

One thing that concerned me greatly is that from the limited genome data, there was a single origin of what is spreading in the cows. To me, that says that it was primed and ready to immediately take off in that species. It just needed to be introduced.

They also found some mutations in birds nearby that were traced to be from cows themselves. It's definitely airborne.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/katepri14608408/status/1783071451337445554?s=46

man this girl’s had it rough

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NeonPunk posted:

It's definitely airborne.

thats why they call it the bird flu

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

spiritual bypass posted:

thats why they call it the bird flu

does it infect UFOs too

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
cdc guidance is to avoid close contact with unfamiliar ufos

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

They also found some mutations in birds nearby that were traced to be from cows themselves. It's definitely airborne.

Maybe the cows are smooching the birds so they're passing the virus back and forth between them

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
it's probably the brown headed cowbird. pick a side jackass

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/significant-global-variation-in-national-covid-19-treatment-guidelines/

quote:

Most countries recommend at least one treatment that definitely doesn’t work

quote:

Of the 194 countries contacted, 72 didn’t respond. Of the remaining 122, 9 had no formal guidelines or couldn’t be accessed (1) and a further 4 didn’t recommend any treatments, so these were excluded,

lol
doing great

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

"Not everyone has access to the best treatment, so therefore we won't recommend the best treatment" - The WHO, probably, since they did that with respirators the other day

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Apr 24, 2024

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

she’s the best :allears:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I think a week or so again someone here mentioned Your Neighborhood Epidemiologist in the context of "sometimes good/helpful but often kneecapped by trying to walk a line between reality and centrism". I am heavily paraphrasing and I apologize to that person if I am mischaracterizing their position.

I do not read YNE with any regularity but get the email blast, so I was a bit surprised by that, because I am pretty used to stuff like this as headlines, which doesn't seem especially centrist-friendly

I can certainly believe that if I started really reading everything she and others have written there, there's a body of dangerous ideas in the mix, but if so that's disappointing because I have resisted the urge to unsubscribe, even though I usually don't read it, just because I find it refreshing to see stuff like this in my inbox as a reminder that not everyone is gaslit.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
you/i/we are not immune to propaganda

No one's perfect, take the wins where you can get them. Just acknowledging disease burden as a concept and saying 'maybe we should do literally anything other than social murder about it' puts you ahead of a pretty significant chunk of the cultural zeitgeist, so

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Like, nothing wrong with demanding better and trying to work towards that, but we're houseplants with complicated emotions it is fine to occasionally allow warm brain fuzzies*

*at least until this becomes the accepted slang for some novel CNS parasite or something idk

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

had to hustle hard to get Costco to give me another dose of juice. should have used immunocompromised like the last few times but instead I tried that I hadn't got the fall booster because I got got too close and then just plum forgot. luckily, when he looked me up he found my old address that showed I hadn't got one in two years :smug:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Love reading that the bird flu situation "is evolving".

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
WHO/CDC UPDATED GUIDELINES: Wash your hands if you want idk

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
ok if we know ultra pasteurization temps can kill it why are we wasting time with uv emitters and not attaching flame throwers to our faces instead

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

lol wait who wrote this?
:parrot:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

so what im hearing is they arent going to test the sick dairy workers, theyre not going to release the genomic sequences, and they're still claiming its "asymptomatic" in livestock despite the reduced milk production and dead cows

also dont look at poultry litter, dont even think of looking at poultry litter

Please ignore all the dead sealions too, bird flu in only in remote parts of Texas.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If you check BNONews' twitter, be advised there's a heartbreaking nestcam video of a falcon dying of what's probably bird flu followed by her chicks :smith:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
that sucks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/drericding/status/1782929841232228847?s=46

pasteurization might be working? the h5n1 found in milk might be viral fragments, which PCR testing can’t distinguish from live virus

gonna stick with ultra pasteurized just in case

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Apr 25, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/drericding/status/1782929841232228847?s=46

pasteurization might be working? the h5n1 found in milk might be viral fragments, which PCR testing can’t distinguish from live virus

dna molecules intact enough to match the test primers don't necessarily mean the virus is viable but it's a very bad sign and indicative that there definitely could be viable virus in there. interpreting it in any way positively or as good news is akin to saying something like "well this guy is pointing a gun at me but we don't know if it's loaded." sure, but also, yikes.

i'd start buying ultra-pasteurized product only right about now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
yeah

at the very least we know they’re still milking sick cows and shipping them to groceries

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

“I still believe that the risk is very low for any live virus activity in milk,” Osterholm said, though he noted the FDA’s statement included too few details to show that. “It’s kind of an obtuse document.”

The FDA, which has been dodging questions for some time about the work it is doing to assess the safety of the milk supply,

This is about the strongest criticism you will ever get out of Mike Osterholm and the four authors at STAT. They personally believe that pasteurization ought to do its job here, but they are deeply dissatisfied with the FDA’s bullshit.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

U-DO Burger posted:

$0.69 per pound of fertilizer is pretty good, hard to argue with savings like that

https://morganbulkinc.com/product/poultry-litter/

wait, you can mail chicken poo poo to any address and it's perfectly legal?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
like right now? in large amounts?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s been a while since I’d seen such an exemplar of the science diagram as a shitpost.

doi:10.1016/j.bsheal.2022.08.001

quote:

In conclusion, after the integration of synthetic biology and AI optimization, RG, advanced biotechnology, has become an indispensable tool for molecular virology and the development of antiviral strategies. In order for RG to contribute to human public health, global governance is required due to its DURC property and global effects. Nonetheless, RG should not be viewed as Pandora’s box because the potential biosafety and biosecurity risks of studies involving RG can be anticipated and further minimized through education and training of relevant personnel, media publicity, oversight of laws and regulations, and other measures.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/livestock-poultry-disease/avian/avian-influenza/hpai-detections/livestock

New update from the USDA, looks like they're letting people test their (dairy) cattle for free reimbursement now.

According to their new document, Federal Order Requiring Testing for and Reporting of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in
Livestock,

quote:

APHIS will provide reimbursement for testing at NAHLN labs, including samples submitted for (1) dairy cattle suspected of disease due to clinical signs, (2) pre-movement testing, (3) producers interested in the disease status of their asymptomatic animals, and (4) samples taken from other animals on dairies associated with this disease event.

Huh, that's a lot more testing. What prompted that?

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/news/industry/usda-now-requiring-mandatory-testing-and-reporting-hpai-dairy-cattle-new-data

quote:

USDA is now ordering all dairy cattle must be tested prior to moving the animals across state lines as a way to help stop the spread of HPAI H5N1 impacting dairy herds across the country. This comes after a lab at Ohio State University detected genetic material of the virus in 38% of retail milk samples they’ve tested, data that also suggests the current outbreak is being underreported.

LOL WHOOPS :unsmigghh:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

U-DO Burger posted:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/livestock-poultry-disease/avian/avian-influenza/hpai-detections/livestock

New update from the USDA, looks like they're letting people test their (dairy) cattle for free reimbursement now.

According to their new document, Federal Order Requiring Testing for and Reporting of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in
Livestock,

Huh, that's a lot more testing. What prompted that?

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/news/industry/usda-now-requiring-mandatory-testing-and-reporting-hpai-dairy-cattle-new-data

LOL WHOOPS :unsmigghh:

SEEMS FINE

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

holy poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003