Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nature’s vaccine comes free with every third carton of milk. :blessed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

U-DO Burger posted:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/livestock-poultry-disease/avian/avian-influenza/hpai-detections/livestock

New update from the USDA, looks like they're letting people test their (dairy) cattle for free reimbursement now.

According to their new document, Federal Order Requiring Testing for and Reporting of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in
Livestock,

Huh, that's a lot more testing. What prompted that?

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/news/industry/usda-now-requiring-mandatory-testing-and-reporting-hpai-dairy-cattle-new-data

LOL WHOOPS :unsmigghh:

Lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Great news, everybody!

We won’t have to wait long to see if the virus is viable.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Great news, everybody!

We won’t have to wait long to see if the virus is viable.

in a way this is actually comforting since if it was, we'd already be dead

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So got the novavax for me and my oldest today. They had just gotten a new shipment because the old ones had expired and the new expiration date was… either May 1 or May 31. so yeah, we have the tools for a limited time only.
(paying for it was fun. my insurance only covered it if it was administered by a doctor at a minute clinic, which was inside the CVS but they didn’t have any. The pharmacy at the CVS prescriptions counter had it, but as it is not administered by a doctor my insurance refuses to pay for it. Bonus American health care lol: CVS/Caremark does our prescription coverage, but doesn’t include vaccines).

as I have major surgery in less than two weeks I opted to pay for it out of pocket rather than to wait for the minute clinic doc to order some or ‘get some shipped’ (even though they’ve never had it before at that location) or I could call around to all the minute clinics in the greater Chicagoland area to see if any had it in stock.

we have the tools. the tools are mere steps away. no, you can’t have those tools only the specific brand of tools and only administered by the specific credentialed people we decide. Yes everyone from firefighters to paramedics to nursing students was dispensing them like candy out of the backs of vans and in conference centers and stadiums and high school gyms a few short years ago, for free, but that’s enough of that, don’t want you gettin any ideas.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

So got the novavax for me and my oldest today. They had just gotten a new shipment because the old ones had expired and the new expiration date was… either May 1 or May 31. so yeah, we have the tools for a limited time only.
(paying for it was fun. my insurance only covered it if it was administered by a doctor at a minute clinic, which was inside the CVS but they didn’t have any. The pharmacy at the CVS prescriptions counter had it, but as it is not administered by a doctor my insurance refuses to pay for it. Bonus American health care lol: CVS/Caremark does our prescription coverage, but doesn’t include vaccines).

as I have major surgery in less than two weeks I opted to pay for it out of pocket rather than to wait for the minute clinic doc to order some or ‘get some shipped’ (even though they’ve never had it before at that location) or I could call around to all the minute clinics in the greater Chicagoland area to see if any had it in stock.

we have the tools. the tools are mere steps away. no, you can’t have those tools only the specific brand of tools and only administered by the specific credentialed people we decide. Yes everyone from firefighters to paramedics to nursing students was dispensing them like candy out of the backs of vans and in conference centers and stadiums and high school gyms a few short years ago, for free, but that’s enough of that, don’t want you gettin any ideas.

well we wouldnt have the tools anymore if you used them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

in a way this is actually comforting since if it was, we'd already be dead

There are enough idiots drinking/selling raw milk that if it the cow strain of H5N1 were highly transmissible to humans via milk at this time, we’d already be seeing deaths.

knock on wood

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Can bird flu be transmitted by raw human milk?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Platystemon posted:

There are enough idiots drinking/selling raw milk that if it the cow strain of H5N1 were highly transmissible to humans via milk at this time, we’d already be seeing deaths.

knock on wood

Yeah and the raw milk trend is growing. Let's hope this sticks like this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
POV: you are a USDA inspector:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rick posted:

Yeah and the raw milk trend is growing. Let's hope this sticks like this.

yup. just in 2024, CO, MI, RI, and WV are legalizing its sale :justflu: it's already legal in 11 others

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

knock on wood

would they even bother testing someone who died of raw milk consumption tho

not ‘of’ campylobacter but ‘with’ campylobacter.

or better yet bring back ye olde cholera infantum as COD

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://i.imgur.com/YkRlHXf.mp4

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
all current and future deaths are from natural causes, nothing to report here!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Oracle posted:

would they even bother testing someone who died of raw milk consumption tho

not ‘of’ campylobacter but ‘with’ campylobacter.

or better yet bring back ye olde cholera infantum as COD

TB

raw milk is a major spreader of TB

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/lauramiers/status/1783260569660785035?s=46

lol Leana been busy

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
all this antipasteur messaging is going to make the chuds gulp their nasty rear end milk even faster. i hope you're happy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Psycho Society posted:

all this antipasteur messaging is going to make the chuds gulp their nasty rear end milk even faster. i hope you're happy
I think most raw milk is sold and consumed in VBNMW states. libs love that stuff.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

thinking about the sheer amount of chicken and egg me and my friends handle every day :smith:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend	Total
Apr 14            -        -        -      + 616    ↓ 14.1%       616
Apr 07            -        -      683       + 34     ↓ 6.3%       717
Mar 31            -      720       37        + 8    ↓ 21.8%       765
Mar 24          916       51       11          -    ↓ 18.4%       978
Mar 17           75       16        8          -    ↓ 17.1%     1,199
Thru 2023        55       64       15        + 1              178,799
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 14            -        -        -      + 200    ↓ 20.9%       200
Apr 07            -        -      250        + 3    ↓ 14.5%       253
Mar 31            -      257       39          -    ↓ 27.6%       296
Mar 24          360       -2       51          -    ↓ 12.4%       409
Mar 17           65        -        -          -    ↓ 16.0%       467
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               61,182

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 14            -        -        -       + 88    ↓ 13.7%        88
Apr 07            -        -      133       - 31    ↓ 23.3%       102
Mar 31            -      159      -26          -    ↓ 10.7%       133
Mar 24          191       -41      -1          -    ↓ 24.4%       149
Mar 17            6        -        -          -     ↑ 2.1%       197
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               17,974
Total occupied inpatient beds (excludes ICU beds) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Apr 14            -        -        -      + 637     ↓ 9.5%       637
Apr 07            -        -      693       + 11     ↓ 7.7%       704
Mar 31            -      763        -          -    ↓ 16.8%       763
Mar 24          917        -        -          -    ↓ 10.9%       917
Mar 17            -        -        -          -     ↓ 7.5%     1,029
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -              117,194
Total occupied ICU beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ICU in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Apr 14            -        -        -       + 42    ↓ 19.2%        42
Apr 07            -        -       63       - 11    ↓ 32.5%        52
Mar 31            -       77        -          -    ↓ 31.3%        77
Mar 24          112        -        -          -    ↑ 23.1%       112
Mar 17            -        -        -          -          -        91
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               13,132
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 14            -        -        -          -         -          -
Apr 07            -        -        -       + 16     ↓ 5.9%        16
Mar 31            -        -       17          -    ↑ 70.0%        17
Mar 24            -        2        8          -    ↓ 37.5%        10
Mar 17           14        2        -          -    ↓ 27.3%        16
Thru 2023         6        1        -        + 2                1,961
Notes on Data and Limitations:
  • In this post I provide alternative visualizations for the overall weekly disease activity and reporting on weekly confirmed case positives, emergency department (ED) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients/occupied hospital beds, and confirmed deaths. Additionally I provide changes in COVID-19 activity due to backfill.
  • Trends are calculated based on the % change in the totals for the most recent week of data compared to the second most recent. This differs from the state's trend % as they are doing a % change of a % of ED visits and hospitalizations, respectively.
  • Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previously published weekly reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report.
  • These graphs were put together by using a multitude of resources spanning from the Washington State Department of Health all the way to the CDC and HHS. All of these state and federal reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday 7-day definition.
  • Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.
  • All numbers except for cases and deaths are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Totals are extrapolated by applying the state's weekly hospitalizations or ED visit % to the HHS' reporting of hospitalizations and ED visits due to all causes. Beds occupied by COVID-19 is the weekly average multiplied by 7 days, and beds occupied by influenza is from HHS reports.
  • A COVID-19, Influenza, or RSV death is only counted by the state if data is complete (cause of death is attributed to the disease and there is an associated laboratory positive test with no period of complete recovery between illness and death). The only exception is that RSV does not need a test, only that it is indicated as cause on the death certificate.
---
Sources:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.

pre:
Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.
County		Shed ID	Ref.	Date	Trend	7-Day Change
Jefferson	PT	(1)	Apr-17	UP	    + 550%
Mason		Biobot	(4)	Apr-20	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Skagit		ANA	(1)	Apr-18	UP	    +1470%
Skagit		MV	(1)	Apr-18	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Whatcom		LYN	(1)	Apr-18	UP	    + 120%
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]
Island		COUP	(1)	Apr-19	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Island		OH	(1)	Apr-19	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Snohomish	APP	(1)	Apr-18	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Snohomish	ARL	(1)	Apr-18	UP	    + 220%
Snohomish	EVR	(1)	Apr-17	UP	    +  40%
Snohomish	STAN	(1)	Apr-17	UP	    +  15%
Snohomish	256	(3)	Apr-19	DOWN	    -  40%
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]
King		BWT	(1)	Apr-17	UP	    +  25%
King		KCS	(1)	Apr-17	DOWN	    -  25%
King		WSPT	(1)	Apr-16	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
South Puget Sound & Southwest

pre:
South Puget Sound & Southwest
Clark		MRPK	(1)	Apr-17	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Clark		SNCK	(1)	Apr-18	UP	    + 110%
Clark		VWS	(1)	Apr-17	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Lewis		Biobot	(4)	Apr-14	DOWN	    -  25%
Pierce		CC	(1)	Apr-19	DOWN	    -  15%
Pierce		PUY	(1)	Apr-18	UP	    +  60%
Thurston	LOTT	(1)	Apr-17	DOWN	    -  30%
North & South Central Wash.

pre:
North & South Central Wash.
Benton		WRCH	(1)	Apr-18	DOWN	    -  40%
Chelan		WEN	(1)	Apr-18	DOWN	    -  40%
Grant		EPH	(1)	Apr-17	UP	    + 230%
Kittitas	ELL	(1)	Apr-18	DOWN	    -  50%
Okanogan	BRW	(1)	Apr-18	DOWN	    -  60%
Yakima		YAK	(1)	Apr-18	DOWN	    -  15%
Northeast & Southeast Wash.

pre:
Northeast & Southeast Wash.
Franklin	PAS	(1)	Apr-19	UP	    + 210%
Spokane		RP	(1)	Apr-19	UP	    +  40%
Spokane		SPK	(1)	Apr-19	UP	    +  40%
Walla Walla	WALLA	(1)	Apr-18	UP	    +  50%
Whitman		PLM	(1)	Apr-19	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by region then alphabetized by county and sewershed. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and 7-Day Change (approx. amount the trend has increased or decreased).

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

References with links to details on y-axis units, normalization protocols, data limitations, and sampling methods:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Anna Paquin walked the red carpet for her latest film, A Bit of Light, using a cane for assistance due to health issues that have left her with mobility issues

Let’s not speculate on Mrs Paquin’s health issues, just appreciate this comment on the article.

quote:

I'm 34 and started using a cane recently. Nobody has given me any poo poo for it, and it's actually cut down on the side eye I get for still masking everywhere. (I do not need to have my POTS worsened by catching covid a second time.)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Platystemon posted:

knock on wood

welp, guess the airborne vector IS everything once again

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I mean, nobody thought to test dead folks for bird flu at all so how would we even know if people are actually dying right now or in the past few weeks if we never tested them?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
congrats on ur second term

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38290272/#:~:text=The%20results%20of%20the%20reviewed,a%20%3E4%20log10%20decrease

quote:

reviewed studies generally indicate that human norovirus (NoV), Hep A (HAV) and Hep E (HEV) possess a high heat stability. Heating at 70-72 °C for 2 min significantly reduces infectious titers, but often does not result in a >4 log10 decrease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7197747/

quote:

relatively high thermal stability of highly pathogenic influenza virus has been previously reported for highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses (Thomas and Swayne 2007) and may thus be an important characteristic of influenza A viruses in general

Hey remind me again, how long does pasteurization usually take?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

what if I only drink the more expensive ultra filtered milk am I good?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Ultra pasteurization milk is made at around 138 to 150 Celsius but at a much shorter time. So... maybe yes? The risk is certainly lower with UHT milk

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I just eat my cereal in a bowl with purified water :smuggo:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Tbh I can cope without milk no problem. It's butter that I'm going to have a hard time dealing without.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/dgbassani/status/1783250553184645352?s=46

whoa whoa whoa 38%?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Company which was granted $96 million to produce nitrile gloves in the US still hasn't made any gloves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmS4Dy1oU-c

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Hey remind me again, how long does pasteurization usually take?

Just add artificial pasteurization flavoring, the public won't be able to tell the difference and it'll save a bunch of time & money!

Also "pasteurization" is apparently some French bullshit so you could just skip it altogether and call it "American-style milk"

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

mags posted:

I just eat my cereal in a bowl with purified water :smuggo:

Probably tastes better than the Cheerios with beet juice I had this morning.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Kragger99 posted:

might be the herbicides in the oats

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

NeonPunk posted:

Tbh I can cope without milk no problem. It's butter that I'm going to have a hard time dealing without.

I've made a significant dent in reducing the total animal products in my diet since 2020 but I cannot abandon butter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/danibeckman/status/1783235920969572551?s=46

we have techniques for differentiating between live virus and virus particles but aren’t using them for some reason

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Ultra pasteurization milk is made at around 138 to 150 Celsius but at a much shorter time. So... maybe yes? The risk is certainly lower with UHT milk

Prior virological assays done on UHT milk have shown basically nothing survives 138C for 2 seconds. Personally I wouldn't worry about ultra-pasteurized milk products unless somebody actually finds PCR-reactive dna or some other evidence that the process doesn't destroy viruses.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kragger99 posted:

Too good for piss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jon Irenicus posted:

I've made a significant dent in reducing the total animal products in my diet since 2020 but I cannot abandon butter

Nature’s Balance fake vegan butter ain’t bad