Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Ever since I was a kid, the sea's been calling.

So, I'm setting out to follow my dreams.

I'm gonna be KING OF THE PIRATES!

We're heading out to the Grand Line.

A treacherous stretch of ocean with bigger islands and bigger pirates.

One Piece is a 1997 manga and 1999 anime series conceived by Eiichiro Oda. But that's not why you're here. Twenty five years after the original (still ongoing) manga first reached the stores, Netflix decided to make a live-action series based on it. People were rightfully skeptical when news first broke out, but after the criminally underrated Netflix Cowboy Bebop series hit the airwaves two years ago, there's little reason to believe that this won't hit those same comfy feels as well! Plus, "Goda" himself had a hand in bringing it to fruition, managing it extensively. It looks incredible! Corny and a bit low-rent, certainly, but that's just part of the fun. The show centers on the "Straw Hat" pirate crew in a wacky alternate world where the captain aims to become the "Pirate King" by grabbing the most sought after treasure of all: "One Piece"!

Iñaki Godoy is Monkey D. Luffy, the captain of the Straw Hat pirates and a big dreamer. A super cheerful guy that is full of joy. And he eats a lot!

Emily Rudd is Nami, the cartographer/navigator of the Straw Hat pirates and an expert cat burglar besides. Cool, calm, collected, smart and essentially the older sister to all these goofs!

Mackenyu is Roronoa Zoro, the first mate of the Straw Hat pirates and an adept fighter who aims to be the greatest swordsman in the world. An unflinching badass to the core.

Jacob Romero is Usopp, the sniper of the Straw Hat pirates and a pathological liar. Funny and relatable, he's the crew member that you just want to cheer for.

Taz Skylar is Sanji, the cook of the Straw Hat pirates and a charming ladies man. Fashionable, talented and a gentleman, he fights with his legs, for the hands are a cook's most important tool.

Maybe a bit bold of me, but I truly do think this will be a watershed moment for anime adaptations, as it feels like it perfectly encapsulates the soul and wit of One Piece, one of the most popular mangas ever for good reason. Of course the worst nerds you know will find ways to nit pick about stupid stuff and be spoilsports, but this is why it's a good thing that Netflix is chaos dunking on them with this.

Official Teaser Trailer

Official Trailer

Inside the Story

Iñaki Godoy Meets Eiichiro Oda

My Sails are Set (Feat. Aurora)

Behind The Scenes With The Cast

Bringing The Straw Hats To Life

Fucker fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

stop this now

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Stairmaster posted:

stop this now

Never.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
One Piece | Inside the Story
Iñaki Godoy Meets Eiichiro Oda
My Sails are Set (Feat. Aurora)

Should about cover it.

Review of Episode 1 by recent, but all in fans of the manga

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Cheers. Updated the OP.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm looking forward to this first, and only, season of One Piece.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Behind The Scenes With The Cast Of ONE PIECE

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
One Piece Director Emma Sullivan On Bringing The Straw Hats To Life

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Only watched the first episode so far but it looks way, way better than most of the trailers made it look, and the actor they have playing Luffy, Iñaki Godoy, is doing a fantastic job. I have no idea if this is the type of show that will appeal to people who have never seen One Piece or not, but on the strength of the first episode at least I'd say it's certainly not another Cowboy Bebop.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Only watched the first episode so far but it looks way, way better than most of the trailers made it look, and the actor they have playing Luffy, Iñaki Godoy, is doing a fantastic job. I have no idea if this is the type of show that will appeal to people who have never seen One Piece or not, but on the strength of the first episode at least I'd say it's certainly not another Cowboy Bebop.

I have never seen a moment of One Piece in my life and have no idea what is going on beyond what has penetrated the broader culture, and I’m really enjoying the first episode. It has the usual seams that these adaptations have but the performances are pretty high quality. And yeah - Godoy is a highlight - he really sells it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've always found the source material ridiculously goofy, I tried so many times to get into it but I just couldn't. That being said, after having watched the first episode, they've really captured the essence of the manga / anime. The whole team is perfectly cast. It was a blast to watch and I had to make a concerted effort to stop myself carrying on with watching episode 2. Any moments that I found painful, I found painful during the anime as well. I'm pleasantly surprised and think if the rest of the episodes follow this level of quality and attention to detail, this will go down in history as live adaptation done right.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Watched the first episode and I enjoyed it! This is basically a live-action cartoon, and I mean that in the most positive way possible. Iñaki Godoy as Luffy is a golden retriever in human form, and I love that. I'll watch more later and there better be a season 2.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheOmegaVirus/status/1697194519962497240

Tumblr is jump scaring its users with buggy senchou

Lmfao

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOmegaVirus/status/1697194519962497240

Tumblr is jump scaring its users with buggy senchou

Lmfao
Haven't had a chance to watch the show yet but I'm giving it a 10/10 just for this

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Four episodes in, and they’ve done a pretty good streamlining this first chunk of the series. They’re also dropping in some understandable info bombs that come up like 300 chapters in way earlier. lol

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They fuckin got Ian McShane to be the narrator some reason?????????

I've never seen a minute of One Piece but it's pretty fun. Looks like rear end though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One Piece's artstyle has pretty much three reactions

- you're put off by it and give up and never go back ever again
- you're completely fine with it from the get go
- you gave up due to the artstyle for a long time but you keep having friends who Can't Shut The gently caress Up About One Piece who eventually pique your interest again and you power through until you eventually get used to the style and realize that they were right all along :c00l:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

One Piece's artstyle has pretty much three reactions

- you're put off by it and give up and never go back ever again
- you're completely fine with it from the get go
- you gave up due to the artstyle for a long time but you keep having friends who Can't Shut The gently caress Up About One Piece who eventually pique your interest again and you power through until you eventually get used to the style and realize that they were right all along :c00l:

The other reaction is holy gently caress Oda sucks at drawing women

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Looks like rear end though.

Are you talking about the CGI? Cause all the CGI looks so blurry, mainly noticeable on the ships anchored at port.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's not just the CGI, it's everything about the direction and sets and costuming. It's that typical Netflix production issue where you can tell they spent a fuckton of money yet it still somehow looks cheap.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

drat, sheep man gets killed and his soul trapped in the Going Merry

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I am genuinely shocked at how good this ended up being. Like a lot of adaptations of other works, if you nail the characters then everything else has a better chance to fall into place.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

The other reaction is holy gently caress Oda sucks at drawing women
But he's great at drawing woman. Exactly one woman. Over and over.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just watched the first two episodes and drat this show is good. A few issues here and there (there are a few time the show weirdly pulled its punches and therefore took some impact out of scenes eg Helmeppo not hitting Rika, Higuma not throwing the drink in Shank's face, not seeing the bite that takes away Shanks' arm) but the action scenes have been great and the performances have for the most part been fantastic. The Buggy fight was particularly fun and well-done.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jerusalem posted:

Never seen the anime probably won’t either but this show kicks rear end. It’s giving me pirates of the Caribbean vibes and I’m a big fan of the first three’s insanity and weirdness. But don’t let this freak you out bc it’s not as jank as the sequels stories or whateve idk.

Luffy dude kicks rear end. The whole cast is fun. I’m having a good time watching this through the day

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Three episodes in, casting is pretty good and they seem to understand the source material well. It does have an obvious netflix touch that makes it look similar to bebop. But the writers here have done a better job of adapting the series here than they did with bebop i guess

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

how much emphasis is there on tall sailing ships and historically-accurate methods of sailing

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
There is water, islands and ships, past that don't expect actual viable sailing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Garp talks about rigging the ship that one time which I believe is one more reference to the practicalities of sailing than has ever been made in the manga

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmfao

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Usopp's nose isnt long enough.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Victorkm posted:

Usopp's nose isnt long enough.

I thought it was pretty genuinely funny that his Jolly Roger got rhinoplasty

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Garp talks about rigging the ship that one time which I believe is one more reference to the practicalities of sailing than has ever been made in the manga

That's only because Oda has moved beyond pedestrian wind power, and now it's all about Cola power.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't think its for me. Maybe I'll try again, but it just felt like they couldn't sell the material. Luffy's actor is the best of the bunch. Shanks is maybe the worst at capturing the feeling of the manga version.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

Three episodes in, casting is pretty good and they seem to understand the source material well. It does have an obvious netflix touch that makes it look similar to bebop. But the writers here have done a better job of adapting the series here than they did with bebop i guess

Yeah I feel the same way. It's got a certain charm that helps it overcome the Netflix sheen and make it loveable. I'm enjoying it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
One Piece... Is good?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm still enjoying this show but sometimes the goofiness is really hard to swallow. I've just watched the episode with the Black Cat Pirates and it's ridiculous. I'm definitely not the target audience but man if this was more gritty and dark, I'd eat it up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m so glad this isn’t gritty and dark. The goofiness and refusal to be ashamed of that side of the source material is exactly what’s making it work for me two episodes in. Iñaki Godoy is amazing. Definitely has some Netflix pacing and visual issues (is it the colour correction they use for everything? could be) but it’s a real blast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, One Piece - for all the big fights and corrupt world government and slaves and murder etc - is at heart an astonishingly goofy and silly series and I'm thrilled they managed (5 episodes in) to largely capture that feel so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

:agreed: I don't think they could have captured the free, goofy atmosphere by adapting the anime/manga too closely. The changes and departures capture the core mood and avoid the anime tropes that would be awful if they tried to pull them off.