Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

. The live action adaptation is literally just the prologue of the series.

The live action story goes up to chapter 95 of the manga, but considering it's up to nearly 1100 chapters yeah I guess that's just the beginning.

Edit-- ah I didn't realize it's only about half of the first season of the anime.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was sceptical before it started because netflix + live action anime but it's really good 4 episodes in

Mackenyu has no business looking that good as Zoro

Love that they casted a trans actor as Koby

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This is anime chat, but am I alone in thinking that Sky Island was insanely too long?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TriffTshngo posted:

it's after sabaody. i made the mistake of continuing until the timeskip and... man. anime marineford. woof.
I remember someone actually cut together a montage of Luffy running and screaming [a character]'s name. it was like 18 minutes long, of just him running and screaming. just shameful production, we're given the opportunity to see one of the most insane battles in any anime/manga ever and they don't even bother to give it a shoestring budget, so they just reuse animation and still shots and it's just awful

Marineford was the part of the anime where I legit just swore off the anime forever after hopping back in specifically for that arc, and stuck with the manga. I've seen some amazingly-animated clips from the current anime seasons that are seriously amazing, but I won't go back. Marineford was the bridge burning

CelticPredator posted:

If they get inaki to dub over luffy in either version I’ll watch it
use the theater of your mind to have his voice read out luffy's dialogue in the manga

Count Thrashula posted:

The live action story goes up to chapter 95 of the manga, but considering it's up to nearly 1100 chapters yeah I guess that's just the beginning.

Edit-- ah I didn't realize it's only about half of the first season of the anime.
there is a specific part right after here that is a very "tutorial's over, fellas" moment.

e:

The Kingfish posted:

This is anime chat, but am I alone in thinking that Sky Island was insanely too long?
week to week it was a bit long, but it has some truly all-timer moments in it, and the setting is just so amazingly unique, that I still think it's a great arc. It's completely standalone but also gives some great overall world building while the Strawhats fumble around, and the main villain is pretty great. Didn't watch the anime version though, so it might've not been great.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 4, 2023

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
We're all going to have egg on our faces when it turns out Skypiea was The Most Important Storyline all along.

Not least of which being that it foreshadowed (big time spoilers) Luffy having the powers of a god

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

e:

week to week it was a bit long, but it has some truly all-timer moments in it, and the setting is just so amazingly unique, that I still think it's a great arc. It's completely standalone but also gives some great overall world building while the Strawhats fumble around, and the main villain is pretty great. Didn't watch the anime version though, so it might've not been great.

The anime was still good then, and they made the decision that Zoro only swings on vines while making Tarzan yells. Fantastic. Unfortunately I can't find a clip that doesn't include fairly major spoilers for stuff that happens after East Blue.

Skypiea is the most old school adventure comic arc to date. Being largely self contained helps to make it a palate cleanser before the politics heavy arc that follows.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 4, 2023

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Nami actress's voice reminds me of someone I can't put my finger on, can anyone else hear it/help me out?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

She kind of reminded me of Maya Hawke in Stranger Things.

Sanji looked like the dude from Fitz and the Tantrums.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The way Inaki says fink instead of think, it's great.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Fucker posted:

the anime is p good for all of the parts of the story that this season adapts. howemstever its still 32 hours of a show vs just 8, so :sweatdrop:

Zeff didn't even chop off his leg with a rock, literally unwatchable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Avirosb posted:

Zeff didn't even chop off his leg with a rock, literally unwatchable.

Still think it was very rude of anime Nami to leave her hometown without at least waiting for Bellemere to be let out of the prison cell Arlong put her in so she could say goodbye!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Visited my mother this Sunday: She asked me when Nami and Zorro end up dating "In those comic books the Netflix show is based off". It's over, they cracked the code

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I absolutely adored the poo poo out of it have been geeking about it honestly nonstop lol :shrug: I've teared up several times throughout the season; the strawhats are so cute together and I love their interactions so much. I pretty much enjoyed all the characters, they brought them to life in an authentic, immersive way I feel like, and I love how they're fleshing koby out! There were several times where I was just grinning nonstop for minutes on end, as a diehard fan I'm really happy with that they managed to pull off here.

I'm also trying to convince so many god drat friends of mine to give it a chance; with at least the first 2 episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

Visited my mother this Sunday: She asked me when Nami and Zorro end up dating "In those comic books the Netflix show is based off". It's over, they cracked the code

Gonna be a looooooong wait for season 2 but goddamn am I excited for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The score kicks rear end and I’m rocking that poo poo nonstop

Very potc which is what I’ve been longing for

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, as a huge fan of the original manga I loved this adaptation. It's an awesome way to get your feet wet and enjoy the series as a newcomer because to me it doesn't feel like it's trying to replace the manga, just adapt it in a way that can be enjoyed by existing fans and newcomers alike. Reminds me of the Ace Attorney movie in that it has a lot of changes but feels so true to the spirit of the thing that it just makes me happy.

What I love is that it kept stuff the anime changed, such as what happens to Zeff's leg and why. Other changes from the source material are understandable and any time there was one I wasn't hot on they would immediately do something that made me go "eh, that's fine, they got to do [x]". I particularly loved how they handled the villain of Syrup Village.

The only thing I wish they could have done is end Syrup Village with Kaya or someone ringing the bell and raising the pirate alarm, because I love the original arc to pieces and if they couldn't keep the Usopp Pirates I would have at least liked to see the villagers miss him and for his antics to live on.

Beautiful score, leans heavily into the fantasy, isn't ashamed of the source material, has awesome sets and fights...yeah, this is just great fun. I was smiling the whole way through. Glad to see series newcomers enjoy it too.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Just finished episode 8 myself. Big props to the production team, writers/directors, and obviously the actors for managing to do the impossible and make this insane cartoon work in live action while still keeping pretty much all of the spirit and soul of the original. It's by no means perfect, and I had a number of small gripes, but that's all they were. Small gripes. They nailed all the important stuff.

Final verdict: it ruled, big recommend.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Show is good and I am surprised. The wife liked the show and she hated the anime when I watched it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I never One Pieced before and I just watched this and then I watched the anime and I just saw the same thing twice?!?

Not bad at all

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Tokelau All Star posted:

Sanji looked like the dude from Fitz and the Tantrums.

I thought it was Maya Hawke until I saw a cast list, she looks and sounds just like her.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Watched the first 2 episodes with my partner. I’ve only seen the first 5 episodes of the anime, she has never seen the anime at all.

We both really didn’t like it, and don’t intend to keep watching.

If you’re a fan then I think you’ll love this show. But I feel it’s almost too direct a translation from the anime to LA, and in very superficial, aesthetic ways. By that I mean they’ll directly translate a character’s goofy costume, but not the scene showing you who group X is and why they’re the bad guys.

The costumes are distractingly insane, and normally I can get behind that kind of thing, but I feel they’re done very poorly in this. Everyone looks like an above average cosplayer. And in real life that’s a good thing! But in a tv show with a professional costume team, a lot of the costumes end up looking cheap and like they don’t fit into the world they’re supposed to exist in. The characters with strange outfits don’t come off as eccentric, but rather as people in a costume.

My partner is a professional in the costume industry (movies, tv, Broadway, etc.) and she felt the costumes looked poorly constructed and spotted several flaws and issues. Bespoke costumes in tv productions are typically cheaply made, but the goal is they shouldn’t LOOK cheap on camera. Certain things like Buggy’s hat stood out to us. The characters with more grounded outfits looked good, but everyone who wore something a bit goofier definitely needed some tweaking, they ended up standing out and not in a good way.

Some things just should not be translated directly from anime to LA, and costumes are one of them. The other thing is dialogue, especially when the source material is fairly corny and not strongly written in the first place. Dialogue being stilted in an anime is expected and is easily forgiven, but once you have people earnestly acting out that dialogue in LA it can come across as very awkward, and at worst downright cringey. I cringed every time someone shouted their special move.

If I had to rate these two episodes it would be a 4/10. The acting was not great, the story was not great, the characters were kind of annoying, the dialogue was really bad, and I just did not get it. It feels like something that was wholly not made for me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
About 10 years ago my wife and I started watching the anime. We made it around 100-ish episodes before tapping out. Way too much filler for us. But overall I would say we enjoyed it

One of my college buddies has been reading the manga for a really long time and is still keeping up so like twice a year I would ask him what happened in One Piece since last time I asked and he would give me the big stuff so I'm aware of things like the time skip and some of the big reveals later on

I originally had no interest in watching this until another friend said he watched the first episode with his kids who are One Piece fans and they liked it. So I said screw it I'll just watch th first episode

And now I'm hooked. According to my college buddy they added in a bunch of retcons from the last 25 years of the manga (for example showing Zoro fight Mr. 7 in episode 1 whereas that didn't happen in the mange for a long time), re-ordered things for the better, and just straight up changes some things (like Nami being with Luffy and Zoro at the Marina HQ to fight Morgan).

Not only is the show a really good adaptation of the anime (what little I remember), but they're trimming off a ton of the fat and filler. If this show keeps getting renewed then I'll be sticking with it as a way to watch the series all the way to the end just for the streamlined nature of the story

All the actors were cast perfectly and everyone knocks the acting out of the park. The fight scenes are surprisingly excellent and the set design, wardrobe and makeup are all off the chain. They paid so much attention to a ton of little details that they didn't have to but they did it anyway and that kind of stuff matters to me

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Verisimilidude posted:

I cringed every time someone shouted their special move.

yeah sorry if you don't get a big smile at that then this was never going to be for you.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TriffTshngo posted:

yeah sorry if you don't get a big smile at that then this was never going to be for you.

pretty much

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

The other thing is dialogue, especially when the source material is fairly corny and not strongly written in the first place. Dialogue being stilted in an anime is expected and is easily forgiven, but once you have people earnestly acting out that dialogue in LA it can come across as very awkward, and at worst downright cringey. I cringed every time someone shouted their special move.

If I had to rate these two episodes it would be a 4/10. The acting was not great, the story was not great, the characters were kind of annoying, the dialogue was really bad, and I just did not get it. It feels like something that was wholly not made for me.

bet the majority of the dialogue that made u cringe was added in lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
netflix said each episode of this show cost 17 million dollars to make btw :mmmhmm:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That is phenomenally expensive. Well. At least we got one season!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I Am Fowl posted:

That is phenomenally expensive. Well. At least we got one season!

It's because they built all the sets and stuff. Future episodes would probably be cheaper because they already built the Merry and the Baratie set is almost certainly made to be easily changed around for filming non-fish ship restaurant stuff. It's still an expensive show, but the new numbers are misleading.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

That's EXACTLY what I was hearing! Thank you!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gyges posted:

It's because they built all the sets and stuff. Future episodes would probably be cheaper because they already built the Merry and the Baratie set is almost certainly made to be easily changed around for filming non-fish ship restaurant stuff. It's still an expensive show, but the new numbers are misleading.
There were also enormous delays during covid that probably inflated things

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only other TV-show to do real ships for filming was Black Sails and that show still had to take place 70% in dinky island interiors and the same beach over and over to make up for it. I wouldn't have any illusion about future seasons of this being cheaper, especially with Netflixs actor contract structure and the intensive use of visual-effects shots.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
You know, I really didn't think I would like this at all since "live action anime adaptation" is just always a bad time, but I watched the first episode on a whim and honestly, it's pretty good. You have to be willing to let yourself just enjoy the ride of magical adventure pirates, though.

Sincerely doubt they'll get another season, and if they do it's probably only if they started work and filming season 2 before now and just sort of get away with finishing it. It's a very large budget for what is likely a comparatively limited audience. But still, if they keep leaning into the silly, would love to see what they do with everything ahead. The only way any of this would keep working is if every aspect is genuinely sincere about the goofiness.

I also don't envy the job of whoever would have to make Chopper not look like a CG nightmare.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HPanda posted:

It's a very large budget for what is likely a comparatively limited audience.

it's the best-selling comic in the world(superman's in the lead but only as single issues, while one piece is almost on par with it but in VOLUMES), it's got quite the audience.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Fair point, but not sure the manga audience is gonna translate into the live action audience as well as they would want. I truly hope I’m wrong on that, though. Even just these first eight episodes were a fun ride, and I would love to see more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there has been fairly incredible word of mouth from what I've seen. lots of youtubers, from Geoff Thew to Moistcr1tikal and plenty of others, are getting the word out that actually this show rules.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Jerusalem posted:

have no idea if this is the type of show that will appeal to people who have never seen One Piece or not, but on the strength of the first episode at least I'd say it's certainly not another Cowboy Bebop.

Well my old friend J-Ru I can tell you I don't read manga or watch anime but OFMD reminded me how much I like pirate stuff and I spent both of my days off watching the poo poo out of this show. Set design, costumes, characters, world-building, I love it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HPanda posted:

Fair point, but not sure the manga audience is gonna translate into the live action audience as well as they would want. I truly hope I’m wrong on that, though. Even just these first eight episodes were a fun ride, and I would love to see more.

It's more popular than Stranger Things. So either the One Piece fandom is more than large enough on it's own, or Live Action One Piece is catching on.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

If it was just passing around in anime watcher circles, it would be a flash in the pan. But word is actually getting out that there's this new fantasy pirate show, like POTC, oh and there's an anime or something. That's giving it a lot more traction in the public eye at the moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mob posted:

Well my old friend J-Ru I can tell you I don't read manga or watch anime but OFMD reminded me how much I like pirate stuff and I spent both of my days off watching the poo poo out of this show. Set design, costumes, characters, world-building, I love it.

This reminds me that Our Flag Means Death is back soon! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I thought it was Maya Hawke until I saw a cast list, she looks and sounds just like her.

I got a lot of Miley Cyrus vibes from her face/brows