Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A live action adaptation of One Piece has no business being this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Can someone elaborate on what the Devil Fruit tradeoff is? Like, it makes you weak to sea water but it looks like sea water just takes away your powers until you find a towel. That's not really a tradeoff, when your great weakness just makes you a regular guy.

It takes away your ability to swim, being dunked in seawater leaves you completely paralyzed.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
We're all going to have egg on our faces when it turns out Skypiea was The Most Important Storyline all along.

Not least of which being that it foreshadowed (big time spoilers) Luffy having the powers of a god

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Overall I still prefer the original manga. Part of that is just that comics are my preferred medium over TV shows, but I also think that the cuts and general trimming down of things from the plot have cost the story some of the pathos that I love so much. Usopp's fight with Chu is good example, where the live action version moves at a good clip, but loses the moment where Usopp has to confront and overcome his cowardice rather than play dead and let someone else handle Chu.

BUT, I also think that by doing all this trimming they made the right decision of focusing in more on the friendship between the core cast. For example, during the Baratie storyline you lose the whole Don Krieg fight, but you gain a ton of scenes of the Strawhats just chilling out, talking, and arguing with each other. You flesh out their characters and how they feel about each other and the main themes of the story.

Anyway, show is good. Crossing my fingers for a second season.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The World Government are not good guys. It's hinted at in this season but generally speaking the more you learn the worse it gets. Them putting bounties on people who don't deserve it is just a matter of course really.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

HPanda posted:

*very little filler. Like “dude trapped in treasure chest on a random island” is a nice little character beat for Luffy, but I don’t think it ever really comes up again outside of the title page sub-stories.

That guy is vitally important because he’s the setup to a joke that Oda waited a literal decade to give the punchline on.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

HPanda posted:

Wait, I’m blanking on this one. Which joke?

During the timeskip, Gimon hooks up with a lady named Sarfunkle.

Not a great joke, but I respect the dedication.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SgtSteel91 posted:

I was watching Labyrinth and the puppeteer still holds up; they really should make Chopper a Jim Henson Co. puppet

:hmmyes:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Netflix would be smart

See, here's the problem

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Speaking of, I loved Nami's little bluetooth snail.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

The only "fix" you need is to not have Sanji be an rear end in a top hat. Or have him be an rear end in a top hat about something else, like nitpicking their cooking or something.

"OREGANO IS FOR SAVAGES!!!"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
For anyone who missed it, Jacob Romero's got the deets on season 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpdS4hgDXLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007