Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doing a re-read of the early stuff after seeing the series and I really like how much more integrated Nami is into things, especially the fact she fights with her staff. One thing shonen battle is not great with is ladies fighting. Her stuff was Kaya was great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, one of my bigger complaints about one piece is that nami and a future crew member rarely if ever get fights of their own. nami has had a few during its run and they were usually very good(the one from the next arc is great), and the other character gets exactly one major fight of their own in the entire series until recently, and it's one of my favorites of them all, so it's a shame they don't get more time to fight.

And said crew member has an ability that could make for some very cool-looking fights but well. Hopefully the show gets that far.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Adder Moray posted:

Bebop was work for hire. They did what Netflix told them because there was no reason to fight them on it. If it turned out good, great. If it sucked, well, sucks for Netflix.

There were other warning signs, of course, like the showrunners not thinking Bebop is set in a dystopia. That said it does feel like a lot of Netflix's most well-regarded work they actually just stream and don't really have a hand in creating.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I'm definitely hoping we see Loguetown (again!) in season 2, there's some great stuff in there: Zoro meeting Tashigi and testing his luck against a cursed sword, Smoker having a :stare: moment when he sees Luffy laugh in the face of death, the man in the green hood, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

Re: Loguetown: I hope Tashigi fairs better in the live action. I finished Loguetown in my re-read and I hate that she's there to feel pathetic and make Zoro feel guilty and we never actually see her be good with a sword beyond disarming two randos.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teek posted:

The good thing about the season, would be that you aren't setting up new villains each time necessarily Aside from Wapol. Only really need to focus on 5(ish) BW agents? Croc, Robin, Mr. 1, 2 and 3? The rest of the agents can be more bit roles ala Kuroobi and Chu in season 1. You also can start building the villains throughout the season in various ways, with the more important BW agents directing the lower ranks.

Getting to see Mr. 2 Bon Clay, master of Oh Come My Way, in live action. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah part of the logic is there's no way they can afford to do two episodes of Little Garden. Heck I'm not sure they can afford to do one episode of Little Garden

Just imagine Marineford.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Continuing OP breaking gender norms God knows I'd want them to call Yamato 'he' in live action and have people's brains explode yelling about 'BUT THE VIVRE CARD.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

marchantia posted:

And Shakky. It's still a fair critique though.

It's true. Women in One Piece are either super hot, gonks (one character goes from one to the other) or hags. I was even vaguely irritated by the post-timeskip designs for Nami and another crew member.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If you want to check out the anime, get a hold of a filler list so you can avoid stuff. With one or two notable exceptions, none of them have that spark the Oda stuff does and the pacing can be kind of slow even so. Shonen Jump has a ridiculously low cost subscription to read it officially if you want to go with the manga even if you'll run into an oddity here and there, like their odd insistence on spelling it 'Zolo.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 20, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Jamie Lee Curtis and her muppet son, please Netflix I don't ask for much but that and a 15 season commitment.

And also billion dollar episode budgets for later seasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's just so weird there are these cool characters and then have them immediately do behaviors that make them unlikable! I mean I guess that's juxtaposition.

Part of it I expect is it's aimed at 8-13 year old boys who think that's the height of humor and how sometimes humor in Japan is just saying outrageous things. None of this is an excuse, mind.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gyges posted:

I do really want the Live Action to get a few seasons quickly just so I can eat popcorn and watch the rage filled tears as the internet flips out about it going Woke though. Newkama is some good poo poo. Next season we just just get a taste with Mr. 2.

I want Mr. 2's "I have GOT to stop jumping on every random duck I see." #GiveUsKarooCowards

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gyges posted:

I wonder if any of the various dubs have a deeper voiced Luffy, or if all of them do like the Japanese and English versions and have a woman do his voice.

Genuinely don't hear Luffy's dub voice as being high pitched. It's so low and gravelly that his actress can't sing high notes anymore.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Luff posted:

Looking forward to when Usopp's music gets around to the 12-18 string bass pieces

I wonder what will happen when completely new and unrelated character Sniper King appears. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ah, that 4Kids shade. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is an issue my wife and I ran into while watching and wondering if anyone else made the same mistake or if I'm just faceblind.

During the Kuro episodes, when they flashed back to Zora and his training, I thought his sensei was also Kuro. Cause the guy looked really similar to me, same color hair, and glasses.

Nah. They're both skinny guys with glasses, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doc Fission posted:

That's a bikini, silly

That does make me wonder about some of the costuming choices down the line for Emily Rudd.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd be happy if they kept it modest but I'd also be happy if they didn't

Like even looking forward into the future this iteration of Nami doesn't quite seem the dancing girl outfit type.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now that the strike is over Emily Rudd (and I assume the rest of the cast) is having a lot of fun on Instagram with stuff. It must be hard to hold your breath that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I got confused by the people all reporting on that it would be a "remake" and mixing in speculation vs. what was actually announced. Whoops. It does make me wonder if they'll try and make everything in the modern art style or what, which would be... interesting. FMAB-style could be good as long as they don't do what FMAB did and rush the opening arcs. Still, I would have thought this would have at least waited until the manga was finished.

One concern people do seem to have, rightly or not, is that it'll take the OPLA route and condense East Blue. Having reread that part of the comic very recently I didn't mind it when the show did it, but some folks are very attached to Don Krieg.