Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
i just use my max terror radius wesker and giggle regardless of match outcome

especially if i get sent to a tiny map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Geeze. Otz plays two games and then quits DBD for the day due to how mad he was. Not used to seeing that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Otz is currently ragequitting his DBD stream because the games are full of disconnecters and whiny babies and because the game's a mess.

E: and now he quit the entire stream because he was so frustrated he didn't even want to keep playing StS.

At this point I would maybe dispute the "game's fine, community's great" idea.

Not blaming him one bit, the guy's human. But loving hell it can be rough.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 22, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

At this point I would maybe dispute the "game's fine, community's great" idea.

I would be very surprised if anyone sincerely believed this game's community is fine. Otz probably has to put on the fog whisperer mask and pretend things are fine for the powers that be.

This game has one of the worst communities I've ever seen, and I've played MOBAs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh yeah, 100%. I play World of Tanks, the game where Eastern Europeans rehash their 500 year old national grudges and yell slurs at each other (which tbh is also about 80% of any given MOBA audience), and I'd say the DBD community is worse than that.

What's even better is the constant stream of assholes who come to the stream, see Otz having a good time with Slay the Spire, and yell at him to play DbD instead. You know, the game that made him so upset that he extremely uncharacteristically rage quit his entire stream.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’d still argue mobas are worse as people can only cuss me out in DBD post-game.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I’d still argue mobas are worse as people can only cuss me out in DBD post-game.

I've never received death threats, steam profile harassment, tracking me to other sites and harassing me there form my username, and other such fun surprises, from mobas. DBD is by far the most toxic community in gaming. It's not even close.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think anyone has been doxxed and then had the electrical line to their house cut yet, nor have there been any real life kidnappings over DBD. Still got a ways to go to catch up to EVE.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

It's crazy and depressing because the community has such moments of brightness. I had such sweet interactions from using the username "ask me for bug facts", like a Bubba who absolutely DEMOLISHED my team then *visibly* hesitated over my body and ended up letting me go. In endgame chat he said something like "I couldn't do it, I couldn't destroy bug facts" and shared his own favorite bug fact with me.

If you could just root out the toxicity I'd never stop playing.

I heard there's way more hackers recently too, god knows why, so I'm sure that's part of Otz's frustration. I hope the upgrade to UE5 in a couple days somehow helps.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Geeze. Otz plays two games and then quits DBD for the day due to how mad he was. Not used to seeing that.

That dude need to take a break or change how he do streaming because he'll just have a burnout at this rate

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I assume AFKers and hackers will only steadily rise since neither are ever punished or blocked sufficiently.

Otz could easily keep streaming as a full time job as a variety streamer but he'd still take a significant audience hit and we don't know what his personal life is like. If debts and bills are greater than the loss of DbD income then back to the salt mines.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 23, 2024

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Tiny Myers posted:

I heard there's way more hackers recently too, god knows why,

All hackers in dbd use the same program, which is on a subscription service. (The streamsniping lobby injection program is an additional cost) This program recently got cracked, so if you're looking to cheat in dbd you can now do so basically for free (after purchasing a new account from a bot that made 7 million of them on the epic game free weekend).
The uptick in hackers is for exactly that reason, now even the people with less money than sense can throw away :fivecbux: and watch killers ragequit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

L.U.I.G.I posted:

That dude need to take a break or change how he do streaming because he'll just have a burnout at this rate
Streaming is a pretty poo poo job unless you hit it big. A lot of streamers are absolutely terrified of taking time off, as there’s thousands upon thousands of alternative streamers people can go to while you’re away, and not everyone is going to come back upon your return.

And then there’s the whole being stuck in your niche as others have said here. Even a successful pivot to variety gaming or another game can still mean weeks or months of rebuilding an audience. Which means taking a pay cut for an unforeseeable duration which makes an already stressful job even moreso!

And in Otz’s case the frustration with the game could be amplified by a fear that he’s stuck playing this game for a living, which leads a nasty feedback loop of anger and stress.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 23, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Giving the game away for free on EGS way back when was honestly the kiss of death for there being any sort of effective anti cheating mechanism. The game still goes on sale for cheap but far less people would be willing to burn through dozens of accounts with their cheats if they didn't have a gigantic free stockpile from that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean if people were buying cheats for five bucks then the 7 or so dollars for a new account isn’t going to be much of a deterrent.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, but there's a difference between buying a couple accounts to use your cheats on, and having literally dozens. Obviously you would have people still doing that and mass buying accounts from shady CDkey sites or w/e but I still think it's a factor.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Pants Donkey posted:

I mean if people were buying cheats for five bucks then the 7 or so dollars for a new account isn’t going to be much of a deterrent.

The cheats are €36 a month (roughly $38). An account is anywhere from $5 to $15 depending on if it has the DLC or faked playtime attached. The vast bulk of the money is spent on the hacking and not on ban evasion. Which is why it getting cracked and going free is such a problem for the game, anyone can find five bucks lying around.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 23, 2024

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I wish the rest of the world had actual laws against hacking like south korea does.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I agree but I do worry about how laws are very often used as a broader cudgel. Remember Capcom getting super mad and cracking down on all mods due to that naked Chun Li during a tournament being bad PR? If you word it as something like "unlawful tampering with game code to gain an advantage", that can apply to a lot of benign mods or accessibility software. You might think it's easy enough to say where cheating begins and ends but does a tech-illiterate court agree?

I think DBD needs to be harsher and stricter with punishment in general, not just for hacking but also throwing games, and provide an ingame recording feature of some kind, or ability to play back a match from the perspective of the other players. Something that would make cheating far easier to catch and report, instead of expecting everyone to be recording with OBS and submit a manual ticket.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

I think DBD needs to be harsher and stricter with punishment in general, not just for hacking but also throwing games, and provide an ingame recording feature of some kind, or ability to play back a match from the perspective of the other players. Something that would make cheating far easier to catch and report, instead of expecting everyone to be recording with OBS and submit a manual ticket.

They need to add a surrender button first. Failing that, something to deal with the situation where there's 2 survivors and multiple gens left so you either play hide and seek and hope the other one gets found first or you give up and go next so you don't waste everyone's time.

Yes, I'm going to keep harping on this because it keeps happening on both sides and I am so tired of it. I'm even more sick and tired of being the one giving up to just end the game and the killer slugging for the 4k so I have to spend minutes on the ground for the crime of trying to end the goddamn game.

They also need to stop adding survivor archive challenges that all but require you to throw the game. Sabo in terror radius, hide in terror radius without being caught, take protection hits, etc. The blind/stun the killer x times in a match are especially bad since they encourage either wasting every pallet in the map or trying to blind at all costs instead of doing anything useful at all.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tiny Myers posted:

Agreed, but sadly on that front the classic excuse of "that's really hard to do" is actually valid. If the game hasn't been designed from the ground up to do that kind of recording, it's going to be a massive job to add in after the fact.

I also forget. Is DBD P2P or does it run on dedicated servers? If the latter, they should definitely be logging the match events and player ticks, because that could be used to automatically detect things like subtle speed hacks etc.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think it launched as P2P but has dedicated servers now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pants Donkey posted:

Streaming is a pretty poo poo job unless you hit it big. A lot of streamers are absolutely terrified of taking time off, as there’s thousands upon thousands of alternative streamers people can go to while you’re away, and not everyone is going to come back upon your return.

And then there’s the whole being stuck in your niche as others have said here. Even a successful pivot to variety gaming or another game can still mean weeks or months of rebuilding an audience. Which means taking a pay cut for an unforeseeable duration which makes an already stressful job even moreso!

And in Otz’s case the frustration with the game could be amplified by a fear that he’s stuck playing this game for a living, which leads a nasty feedback loop of anger and stress.

You just need took at Dowsey. He wasn't as big as Otz, but was definitely one of the bigger streamers. He decided DBD killing his mental health wasn't worth the money so he quit and started streaming other games. Now when you look he's got 200-300 people watching him at peak times.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yep, writ large people who follow gaming streamers are just looking for someone they can tolerate while they veg out with a game they like, and not someone who they actually enjoy regardless of what they're playing.

Which sucks; I rarely watch livestreams at all, but I love the giddy joy Otz shows in so much of his non DBD content when I check out other stuff of his on Youtube.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Agreed, but sadly on that front the classic excuse of "that's really hard to do" is actually valid. If the game hasn't been designed from the ground up to do that kind of recording, it's going to be a massive job to add in after the fact.

I also forget. Is DBD P2P or does it run on dedicated servers? If the latter, they should definitely be logging the match events and player ticks, because that could be used to automatically detect things like subtle speed hacks etc.

Unfortunately, no it can't. There's a huge number of reasons why, but the most prominent is this server can't tell between somebody who's lagging and somebody who speed hacking, and there's no way to realistically fix that. Any system that tried to detect speed hacks like that would be flooded with false positives.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1782771542675378221

Assuming this is all random perks all the time I really hope it becomes a permanent mode and not a few days only.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1782771542675378221

Assuming this is all random perks all the time I really hope it becomes a permanent mode and not a few days only.

Extremely agreed. I think this is the sort of mode that has had the most demand, apart from maybe 2v8. Everyone loves the random perk challenges in the archives and a permanent way to play like that would be amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Umbreon posted:

Unfortunately, no it can't. There's a huge number of reasons why, but the most prominent is this server can't tell between somebody who's lagging and somebody who speed hacking, and there's no way to realistically fix that. Any system that tried to detect speed hacks like that would be flooded with false positives.

Good point. World of Warcraft has this kind of speed hacking detection, and it famously goes a bit haywire at times. Every WoW player has plenty of stories of them playing the game with zero hacks and the servers deciding to boot them when they hit the right (or wrong) combination of skills in the right place.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The new rift is here! Absolutely nothing for Sable and Unknown, though the former gets a shop outfit. Nea gets the deep rift for the second time in a row, Mikaela, Zarina, and Artist get the rest, and Doc gets the big boy ultra rare at the end. It is a spectacularly good Artist skin, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

The new rift is here! Absolutely nothing for Sable and Unknown, though the former gets a shop outfit. Nea gets the deep rift for the second time in a row, Mikaela, Zarina, and Artist get the rest, and Doc gets the big boy ultra rare at the end. It is a spectacularly good Artist skin, though.

https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1782787810526732481

The Trapper skin is fuckin great and the Doctor skin has a goddamn stogie. Legend.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Those are actually some good loving skins god drat.

And random modifier game mode, jesus christ yes please!

Tiny Myers posted:

I agree but I do worry about how laws are very often used as a broader cudgel. Remember Capcom getting super mad and cracking down on all mods due to that naked Chun Li during a tournament being bad PR? If you word it as something like "unlawful tampering with game code to gain an advantage", that can apply to a lot of benign mods or accessibility software. You might think it's easy enough to say where cheating begins and ends but does a tech-illiterate court agree?

You are gonna think this is a lovely take but I would happily trade mods and pretty much anything for knowing cheating is significantly curtailed.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Those are actually some good loving skins god drat.

And random modifier game mode, jesus christ yes please!

it loving better be permanent and not like 3 days again

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Search your feelings...you know it to be true....

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Relyssa posted:

That would make too much sense, its BHVR after all. We'll get it for three days, everyone will say how it was awesome and it should be permanents and we'll never see it again.

Or somehow they gently caress it up and the gamemode just doesn't work as it should or how any reasonable person would design a chaos mode...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There's a new bundle on the rift for 200 rift fragments (20 levels, normally $20) and unlock of the premium track (normally $10) that is $20 total, so you "save" $10 if you were planning on buying some levels anyway.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

Search your feelings...you know it to be true....

Kwolok posted:

That would make too much sense, its BHVR after all. We'll get it for three days, everyone will say how it was awesome and it should be permanents and we'll never see it again.

Or somehow they gently caress it up and the gamemode just doesn't work as it should or how any reasonable person would design a chaos mode...

it depresses me greatly that you're both almost certainly correct

also I really disliked the previous nea deep rift but this one is really tempting me over to play her more. i'm sorry yun jin i am very weak

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

As loathe as I am to admit it, I can see the business case for it being a limited event. Especially if all perks are available, even ones you didn't unlock (the previous "random" perk challenges were actually random loadouts). If everyone is playing that mode, then they might be less tempted to buy chapters for the perks if they have zero interest in the characters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Am I crazy or didn't they say the rifts would focus on the just released characters a while ago?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/dvveet/status/1782791048588046399

Datamined Huntress legendary skin and mori. Spoilered it in case you don't want to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

https://x.com/dvveet/status/1782791048588046399

Datamined Huntress legendary skin and mori. Spoilered it in case you don't want to see it.

It's not datamined, it's in the game as of the newest update.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I crazy or didn't they say the rifts would focus on the just released characters a while ago?

Pretty sure they did, and I see enough Sable around that she's certainly popular enough to warrant the inclusion.

Medullah posted:

As loathe as I am to admit it, I can see the business case for it being a limited event. Especially if all perks are available, even ones you didn't unlock (the previous "random" perk challenges were actually random loadouts). If everyone is playing that mode, then they might be less tempted to buy chapters for the perks if they have zero interest in the characters.

This is a level of forward thinking that bhvr does not possess.