Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I need an MMO to hold me over until, eventually, Riot decides to ruin my life financially, socially, and mentally. Is this game still kicking and screaming with those multi-million dollar battles? I used to play Guild Wars 2, but they removed Mac support, so I stopped complaining about that. And WoW is too fantasy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coasterphreak posted:

The thread title should be interpreted literally.

Bear this in mind.

drat. Options are limited at the moment. Doesn't help EVE is also Apple Silicon native so I'm gonna give it a shot.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Libluini posted:

don't do this, my friend

there's a reason "Winning EVE" refers to not playing it

I play League of Legends. Nothing can hurt me more than League already does.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coasterphreak posted:

don't be the goon in the well, it's not a good look

I won't. Gonna try to knock out this tutorial and then go from there. Is there any best race? Or does it not really matter and I should just pick which one looks the coolest?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Bad King posted:

Minmatar ships are fast and flighty, though medium autocannons are in a sad state when compared to other medium weapons. I like them a lot. I think they're the most beloved skirmish boats of all the other factions.

Amarr ships don't need no stinkin' ammo, and do well in pvp. You can even LARP as a US evangelical christian.

Gallente are fine, I guess. Brutix Navy Issue and the Enyo punch above their weight class. Drones are basically cute and cuddly robot friends. Hybrids are their turret guns, and they either melt the steel plates off of opposing ships at touch-me ranges (blasters) or plink from 100km out and miss half the time (rails)

Caldari are corporatist scumbag fascists who can't even get their technology stolen well enough for a capable pirate faction battlecruiser. They are an entry drug into the Gila though, and they are mostly missile boats (HAM!) or blaster boys (but less-so).

It doesn't matter for new players. It's really cosmetic.
Caldari are corporate shills.
Amarr are church moms.
Gallente are french.
Minmatar are 21st century red sea pirates and 11th century steppe rus.

Did somebody say Corporate Shills? I just finished Succession, so this is right up my alley of screwing over people for money.

E: I can't type

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 17, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Bad King posted:

You can scam folks legally in this game from any faction. I mean, they live under the auspices of anarcho-capitalism that pokemon evolved into populist corporate fascism where you get a sleeping cube and protein paste if you're a good statist; they include advertisements in stations that shout, "don't drink that FOREIGN cola, drink OUR cola."

I guess they also have ECM bonuses, which can be hilarious.

That sounds extremely fun. I'm assuming there is also a big market that is kinda player-led?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Bad King posted:

Yes. Everything in-game is player derived or player-driven. The NPCs seed some things into the game at some stations and consume things in others (these are called trade items, a holdover from when the game design centered around copying Elite); think of it where everything that you shoot, everything that kills you, and everything that you consume (including drugs) start with a player clicking a button at some point in the chain. Many times, it's many many buttons.

This leads to really interesting things, such as player-driven market manipulation for many items, and people selling things at below manufacturing cost because they don't account for time being intrinsically valuable ergo making it impossible for folks to justify encroaching on their markets because they're not themselves sadists.

So, in theory, the market can crash like in 2008? That is really interesting. So everything kinda has a $ to ISK ratio as well. Wow.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I just loaded into the game for the first time as a badass-looking corporation gunner, and this interface is anything unlike I've ever seen. What the hell...

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Bad King posted:

Learn the shortcut keys. Yes. The interface is something.

The game runs on 1 second server ticks. The interface is built around this restriction, and the game is a 2.5D submarine simulator.

At least the game looks insane. Lots of detail.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So, the tutorial let me die. Nice. The scale here is also kinda bonkers.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm ready to raid corporations with the FEDs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Bad King posted:

I'd delete that in-game self-doxx but also you're just setting yourself up for donations now.

What's posted is posted. Live by the forum rules, and die by the forum rules.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coasterphreak posted:

Holy loving lol you are about to understand Eve online very quickly

No. I don't understand why I can't use a joystick to fly my frigate.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coasterphreak posted:

you are playing the wrong game, nice things turn and run in the other direction as fast as actually possible

I can see that. Click this, click that, click click click

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I got bored playing this and almost got scammed at Jita.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm gonna give this game another go. I got bored with it in about a week and tapped out. I logged back in and saw I got donations from players. I have no idea what to do with all this money. I was watching videos on how to explore wormholes and exploring by doing the minigames, so I might try that. I also saw I needed to apply to a guild so I applied to Goonwaffe. But I have no idea what to do. I'm currently sitting in Amsen but I want to go to Jita since the video I watched said to make that your homebase but yeah. I will take any recommendations. I have about $200mil to spend so I will take any guidance or advice.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

floppyspud posted:

For goonwaffe read the thread they have in PGS which will explain the recruitment method, applying in game won’t help.

Jita is just a major trade hub, if you are joining goonwaffe don’t bother going there because you will end up in nullsec anyways.

Don’t spend it on anything, keep it until you find something you need.

I only spent money on my new Heron and started training scanning skills, so a slight $2mil dent, but I think I will be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm still learning this game, but wormholes are very temptingly cool. I've been flying the Astero, and the appeal of living in a wormhole only grows as I continue exploring in them.