Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/AniNewsAndFacts/status/1773337381497606163

I mean The Boy and the Heron being Isekai is technically correct but it still feels kinda wrong to put it in that category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

hey i just finished this and it is so good that i think the entire adtrw chat thread should be recommended it once again. thats a tremendous graphic novel imo
i love the ending chapter the kid has a kinda hosed up family life because of course she does but she still loves her moms, shes just being teenage about it

i also like that the guy is like. an rear end in a top hat but not Literally The Worst Person to Ever Live. he has reasons for acting the way he does and realizes he crossed a line. itd be easy to write him as just cartoonishly evil with no interiority at all to try and make the leads come across as good as possible with literally no questions needing to be asked

good manga

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Boy and the Heron is 100% an isekai, not even technically. It just feels weird because modern usage of the term has a lot of web novel baggage.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

claw game handjob posted:

I am absolutely convinced one employer I keep barking up the tree of is just tossing every loving resume at machine-learning garbage before a human.

Just one?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My favorite AI story is the college professor who almost failed his whole class because he used chatgpt to check their papers for plagiarism without understanding how chatgpt works

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the plagiarism box would be a reasonable source to ask about plagiarism.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yesterday I saw a post from a college professor who gave amnesty to anyone who admitted using ChatGPT on their papers, and 23/25 of the students replied affirmatively

It was very depressing

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

i am very glad I stopped needing to grade papers before the advent of widely available LLMs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The Boy and the Heron is 100% an isekai, not even technically. It just feels weird because modern usage of the term has a lot of web novel baggage.
honestly isekai is the kind of term that it makes sense to adopt in english. its fairly easy to explain and it encompasses a lot of stories that there wasnt really a catch-all term for in english. like narnia also fits the description.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's sort of a superset of "portal fantasy", which I think is the closest term-of-the-art in western genre writing.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I used to freelance writing those lovely blog posts that clog up internet search bars and it paid fairly well back then. ALL of those jobs are pretty much gone thanks to ChatGPT and the like

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

My favorite AI story is the college professor who almost failed his whole class because he used chatgpt to check their papers for plagiarism without understanding how chatgpt works

please tell me he was fired for being fail

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Fluffdaddy posted:

I used to freelance writing those lovely blog posts that clog up internet search bars and it paid fairly well back then. ALL of those jobs are pretty much gone thanks to ChatGPT and the like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdMjqcjMVTc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
We’ll probably get another season of Frieren eventually, right?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
might be a game of leapfrog with bocchi and frieren for the next few years if the director insists on staying on both projects

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Endorph posted:

i love the ending chapter the kid has a kinda hosed up family life because of course she does but she still loves her moms, shes just being teenage about it

i also like that the guy is like. an rear end in a top hat but not Literally The Worst Person to Ever Live. he has reasons for acting the way he does and realizes he crossed a line. itd be easy to write him as just cartoonishly evil with no interiority at all to try and make the leads come across as good as possible with literally no questions needing to be asked

good manga

oh yeah the last chapter is incredible. a different manga might have chosen to dodge any of these issues or complications to tie things up in a bow or go hard on angst or be really satisfying but no, life doesn't usually work like that.

komari doesnt get a perfect happy ending either, she's still a small town gay who might not ever settle down with her dream girl, but she's living honestly and making positive changes in her life....that's what real wins look like

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Coaaab posted:

might be a game of leapfrog with bocchi and frieren for the next few years if the director insists on staying on both projects

a lot of the same staff is on bisque doll too. three megahits in a row is an incredible story for those guys (who are mostly younger) but also means that their docket is pretty, uhhh, full

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

seems too popular to not get more, whether they can get the same production team back is more uncertain

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

a lot of the same staff is on bisque doll too. three megahits in a row is an incredible story for those guys (who are mostly younger) but also means that their docket is pretty, uhhh, full

Combine all three

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Drop them all for an original.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

also its the same madhouse producer who passed on one punch man s2 to make stuff like acca 13 and sonny boy instead (and he was right to do so)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Combine all three
marin goes to a kessoku band concert dressed in frieren cosplay.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

tbh i would guess the most likely is they want to make another season but it's gonna take long enough (2026-7) that it's too early to announce it now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frieren was the rare anime actually getting big tv ratings, its definitely gonna get a s2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like, higher tv ratings than one piece

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I attribute some of that to timeslot and marketing, not sure how much of that will carry over to the next season

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

frieren was the rare anime actually getting big tv ratings, its definitely gonna get a s2

is there a good english source for ratings info like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

is there a good english source for ratings info like this

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-01-27/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-january-15-21/.206890

ann posts the weekly top ratings. not sure if theres a good english source for tv ratings for all anime

Coaaab posted:

I attribute some of that to timeslot and marketing, not sure how much of that will carry over to the next season
ehh. 11:30 on a friday night is a better timeslot than a lot of stuff gets but it isnt like, 6 pm on a saturday like daigo and conan have

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah that is a very high rating for whats essentially a late nite timeslot

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Meowywitch posted:

please tell me he was fired for being fail

It looks like he's still employed because Texas doesn't give a gently caress

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-01-27/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-january-15-21/.206890

ann posts the weekly top ratings. not sure if theres a good english source for tv ratings for all anime

oh right i remember looking at these because conan and sazae-san are always at the top

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the plagiarism box would be a reasonable source to ask about plagiarism.

The problem was that all he did was feed papers into the program and ask "did you write this" without realizing chatgpt was going to say yes no matter what

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Endorph posted:

ehh. 11:30 on a friday night is a better timeslot than a lot of stuff gets but it isnt like, 6 pm on a saturday like daigo and conan have
ah, i mistakenly thought it still retained that sweet-rear end primetime slot when the first four eps aired, no poo poo that's super good

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats the best app for mobile/ipad to read manga? I have a Shonen Jump sub but their app is terrible.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ulio posted:

Whats the best app for mobile/ipad to read manga? I have a Shonen Jump sub but their app is terrible.

Tachimanga on iOS can pull from all sorts of places and renders them quite well, looks great on iPad. I have it pointing to mangadex and dynasty reader. Free version has ads on startup though and no automatic backups. It’s $2 a month or $15 lifetime to make those limitations go away.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Sleng Teng posted:

Tachimanga on iOS can pull from all sorts of places and renders them quite well, looks great on iPad. I have it pointing to mangadex and dynasty reader. Free version has ads on startup though and no automatic backups. It’s $2 a month or $15 lifetime to make those limitations go away.

thanks for the recommendation, I’ve been reading using the browser on my phone like a chump for years now. its functional but this is so much better considering how ad-riddled a ton of these sites are. the other day I had to venture off of mangadex to read shangri-la frontier and actively lowered the brightness on my phone lest others on the streetcar see the pendulous titties of hot local milves in my area

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it autoloads the next chap as I scroll down? goated tech.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Glad you like it, it was a lifesaver for me while recovering from surgery last year :cheersdoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

Oh ya thats awesome thanks, I didn't know it could get stuff from Mangadex which I use for stuff not on SJ.