Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rinkles posted:

Haven't watched D Bloodlust in a while, forgot how divine the visuals are

Everytime i watch the film i find more and more things to appreciate. Especially with the background visuals and smooth animation. The attention to detail especially in the opening scene is top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its probably my favorite anime movie visually. either that or the space cobra movie

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Watched CMLL tonight and they had Dark Silueta and kept hearing it as Dark Suletta and now I want a Lucha Libra sequel to G Gundam

Dark Suletta is a honey badger instead of a tanuki

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I watched vinland 2 it was very good I liked it a lot I’m glad it had that final episode because in my mind I was convinced there was no way it could continue I think I liked it more than s1 thorfin becoming likeable is good I like likeable characters also the other big guy of mysterious age was very likeable okay

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Dark Suletta is a honey badger instead of a tanuki

Thus Killing Bites

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kater posted:

I watched vinland 2, it was very good I liked it a lot. I’m glad it had that final episode because in my mind I was convinced there was no way it could continue. I think I liked it more than s1. thorfin becoming likeable is good. I like likeable characters, also the other big guy of mysterious age was very likeable, okay.

Einar is cool, too, and I love that final episode of him going home with Thorfinn to Iceland.

The confrontation with Canute was also terrific character stuff for both him and Thorfinn. Thr comparison of a King's power against that of God especially sticks in my mind. A King can command legions, take what he wants, shape the world of men to his will, and yet for all that nigh on infinite might, he can't even command the wind or the waves.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm Dark Suletta

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

all the bocchi's and jellyfish's and watamotes we've had and the one thing that really hits my heart in years of watching anime about social anxiety is seeing this poor kid in Viral Hit nearly torpedo his own date in his self-loathing. drat, didn't expect this one to sneakily slide into my aots contenders

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Einar is cool, too, and I love that final episode of him going home with Thorfinn to Iceland.

The confrontation with Canute was also terrific character stuff for both him and Thorfinn. Thr comparison of a King's power against that of God especially sticks in my mind. A King can command legions, take what he wants, shape the world of men to his will, and yet for all that nigh on infinite might, he can't even command the wind or the waves.

The waves thing is apparently a real quote, unsure how much it was used to disparage god tho.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It bums me out that there's been no more seasons of watamote. I want to see tomoko and her idiot high school friends animated. Except komiyama.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Uchi animated would be good

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

may I have a Suletta Pic I need it for (av)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

may I have a Suletta Pic I need it for (av)

https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/6427929

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL5CYZirUPo&t=100s

It's just a PV but I hope it's an actual project cause I want an actual good Wixoss anime set in that timeline since the original 2 series (I really, really still don't like Lostorage)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/d0nut2x/status/1783932096932696347

drat, it took effort but Level 99 Villainess's CG now looks good in comparison.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZKxITHVPJk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh hell yeah my local theater in Ottawa is playing a bunch of Ghibli movies both dubbed and subbed through May and June.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh is that why spirited away was screening here today

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think my local theatre is piggybacking off events happening stateside but I'm here for it. Lots of classics in there that I have to show my friend if he wants to go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GKids basically does this every summer, yeah

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just started a full rewatch of Attack on Titan, and everything really does hit different when you know the entire backstory.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished playing klonoa phantasy reverie. they continue to be perfect video games

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At da movies to see Spirited Away. Wish Ghiblifest wasn't opening with it because they closed with it last year but heck, never a bad time to revisit it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks to the pre-movie ads I now know that June 25th is when GKids does their physical/digital release of The First Slam Dunk. Mark that on your calendar, gamers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Reiner's the one who talked everyone into saving keeping the Attack Titan from getting eaten in the Battle for Trost!

Ahhhhhh! You son of a bitch! :argh: This loving show.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 28, 2024

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
trip report: the kumiko asuka study date episode is so fricking good. we've spent like 25 episodes questioning asuka's authenticity/sincerity levels and we finally find out that she might be more driven than anyone else in the cast, her front is almost some kind of twisted penance for her perceived selfishness, and she truly respects kumiko as a friend.

been thinking about this clock shot for like an hour

https://i.imgur.com/etXngNn.mp4

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
also euphonium weaponizes these silent solo performances better than anything else i've ever seen. definitely cried from this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKCY_pCPi8

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

After the first few episodes of Euphonium, realized there’s not much ‘club president-centric sports’ anime.
Lots of manager and club president stuff this season you don’t usually see.

Most club/sport animes are from the POV of the younger new bloods. Granted, it is the 3rd season already so she did start off as the new blood

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

watch moshidora. the show about the girl who becomes baseball manager to cover for her sick friend, and goes to the bookstore to research but they give her Drucker's Management, the authoritative textbook on business management. so she runs the baseball team like a business

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Chotto Machete

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

Chotto Machete

This would be an excellent username for someone

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

bishonen danny trejo

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

homeless snail posted:

watch moshidora. the show about the girl who becomes baseball manager to cover for her sick friend, and goes to the bookstore to research but they give her Drucker's Management, the authoritative textbook on business management. so she runs the baseball team like a business

lmfao is this any good or is it just the premise

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For whatever reason my sleep deprived brain started thinking about Urusei Yatsura, which I've never watched. Why is Beautiful Dreamer considered such an important landmark in anime filmmaking? Is it indicative of the TV series at all or is it more like Mamoru Oshii's other films where he takes an existing series and spins it off into a distinctly Oshii joint, ala GITS or the first two Patlabor films?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'd say beautiful dreamer is fairly in line with the tv series

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Southern Cassowary posted:

lmfao is this any good or is it just the premise

I enjoyed what I had seen of it popping into snail's streams, but I haven't seen the whole thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1784933977758781906?t=BT2g2EbuJ-TNTy8bzQNykg&s=19

Oh drat UHD

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

For whatever reason my sleep deprived brain started thinking about Urusei Yatsura, which I've never watched. Why is Beautiful Dreamer considered such an important landmark in anime filmmaking? Is it indicative of the TV series at all or is it more like Mamoru Oshii's other films where he takes an existing series and spins it off into a distinctly Oshii joint, ala GITS or the first two Patlabor films?

While it's still a UY movie and UY anime it's the first work that Oshii start to show his distinctive style. It has the long panning shots and moments of introspection and it also really feels like a movie instead of being an extended TV episode with better animation

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

It's indicative of the tv series insomuch as while the situation they're in is more heady than how most of the tv series gets, the characters do for the most part react to what's going on in the ways you'd expect them to.

Far as the merits of the movie itself goes I really like this writeup from an Otaku USA article that covered all the movies, it sure says it far better than I can https://otakuusamagazine.com/best-urusei-yatsura-film-list-guide/

quote:

Beautiful Dreamer is probably the most famous and well regarded of all the Urusei Yatsura films, and with a lot of justification. Packed with ideas, it’s also masterfully executed by returning director Mamoru Oshii, building on what he had done so well with the previous year’s Only You. Oshii is even Oshiier than before, his love of reflective surfaces in overdrive, his observations on the disquieting mundanity of Tokyo acute in his depictions of the labyrinthine suburbs and the eeriness of its silent nighttime streets. it takes the same visual flair and confident handling of the series’ vast array of characters, and channels it into a story far more ambitious.

Taking in time loops and multilayered realities, the movie places the characters in a timeless dream that’s at least in some way their own creation (or at least the creation of one of them, and most of the others aren’t really complaining), which makes fo
r a surprisingly peaceful apocalypse by Urusei Yatsura standards. But how to resolve this problem is itself a problem for the film. A story about a time loop or dream reality is really a problem of not being able to progress and move forward with your life: it’s a problem of being trapped by some desire or trauma or compulsion that you can’t get past. What’s especially interesting about Urusei Yatsura, though, is that the nature of weekly television means the characters are already essentially in a time loop – even if they escape from the problem Beautiful Dreamer sets up, the world they will return to still won’t let them grow or move on.

So Beautiful Dreamer is a film with bold ideas, shackled to an ending that must inevitably push the reset button and restore the weekly status quo. How does the film do that and remain satisfying? It recognizes that the dream reality itself isn’t inherently the problem: the problem is characters getting what they want. Idyllic as the life they find themselves in is, the incompatibility between the characters’ own individual dreams begin to open cracks in their shared dream reality, and its integrity starts to break down. It is the realization that they don’t want the satisfaction of their dreams. In this way, Beautiful Dreamer feels likes a meta-commentary on the nature of the show itself, with the characters endlessly denied the satisfaction of their desires, and yet somehow content in their frustration.

Beautiful Dreamer wouldn’t be such a cherished film were it just for the ambitious storyline, however. It succeeds because it handles the characters better than perhaps any other film in the series. Like Only You, it takes care to establish its core cast early on, doing so via a funny ensemble scene of escalating chaos during preparations for a school festival (the ever politically correct students of Tomobiki High have brought a tank into the classroom for their Nazi-themed café). More than that though, it manages the difficult task of making Lum and Ataru’s relationship make sense in a way that’s both broadly sympathetic to both of them and that informs and sparks off of the themes of the story. For Ataru, it’s a point of pride to never admit his affection for Lum because her presence dominates so much of his life and the world he inhabits that he feels withholding his love is the only way he can keep a shred of independence. However, as Lum admits to nurse Sakura early on, the life she has now (which for her centers completely on Ataru and their friends) is one she never really wants to change – a life built on the foundation of his capriciousness and stupidity.

Like Camus’ Sisyphus, in her eternal pursuit of the faithless Ataru, we must imagine Lum happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which UY movie was it that technically adapted the end of the series again?

I haven’t really been following it (though I might soon) but how’s the second season of the reboot going and how close are we to the end of the manga now?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 29, 2024