Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i was blissfully unaware myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I just finished Granbelm

Because the people I was watching it with insisted on talking over large portions of it I have retained very little memory of the first two thirds of the show (often about how they didn't know what was going on or what any of the characters' motivations or goals were).

The last like 4 episodes I got them to shut up and pay attention to though and those 4 episodes loving kicked rear end, I loved them

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

this is very strange because granbelm is 90% characters explaining their motivations by volume

that's literally what i said!

i got them to shut up by pausing 10 seconds into a scene and asking "hey can anyone explain to me what these characters are talking about?" and when no one could (myself included), a quick 10 second investigation revealed that it was definitely not because the show was being coy or subtle with the topic of the conversation, and actually directly stated several details that were being asked about and speculated on

anyways turns out when you read the words on the screen without a bunch of unrelated noise distracting you, the plot suddenly flips from "impenetrable" to "easily understood and in fact, you can inference many missed details by examining what the characters are saying"

i'm honestly mad i had to listen to them say the show was "fun in a trashy, stupid way" for weeks and then when they got quiet for 5 minutes suddenly all anyone wanted to talk about was how raw and powerful the stuff happening on screen was

just loving pissed man!

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 15, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

anyways even though i only have a working memory of a third of the show it was really good, would definitely recommend granbelm and it's kind of nuts i don't ever see it get talked about

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

rewatch it tbh. the early eps are cool too

I do remember the stuff with Anna

I love anna

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i bought armored core 6 earlier this week but have played under two hours of it because i got very frustrated by the control schemes. controller feels so much better than kb+m, but also i can not Go Up and also Look Around without mangling my hand which is a dealbreaker for me, i like looking and moving at the same time

kb+m meanwhile, has default controls where if i want to use my left/right shoulder rockets, while i am locking on i am physically incapable of moving left and/or right. i do not want to learn the muscle memory required to hold the e key and potentially rapidly press the d key at the same time.

i am hoping to play more when i have some more time because the game is otherwise dope as gently caress, and i sat down yesterday to work out kb+m controls that don't make certain important actions mutually exclusive due to the limitations of the human hand

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

armored core has a reputation for needing 3 hands but i think you might have a better time remapping your controller a little or putting in a few more hours and seeing if you can adapt

sadly, there are only 4 shoulder buttons on the controller, and therefore only 4 buttons that can be held while also using the analog stick. between 4 weapons + Go Up there are more than 4 actions that potentially require holding a button, so i'm pretty stuck there. i mangled my hand beating demon's souls due to sprint on hold x and i really don't want to repeat that now that i'm not 19 and have much more substantial Wrist Concerns. no, i refuse to learn to not constantly refocus the camera on my latest object of attention.

i literally just played a test mission with my new kb+m rebind scheme and while the new muscle memory i need to learn is awkward, being able to do all the things i want to do at the same time felt shockingly liberating lol. i just need to find time where i'm both sober and don't have other obligations like the one i'm about to run off to

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

don't listen to 'em only losers chew their food

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched the newest dragon ball movie today

i thought it was great. it was clearly laser targeting nostalgia/lore as hard as possible and it turns out i like remembering when thing happened

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it was also, like, shockingly good looking? the animation was slick and while i could tell it was 3d models i really had to squint to notice the vast majority of the time

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really loved the kid goku flashback they had at the very beginning getting everyone up to speed on all the lore they were about to delve into

kid goku jumping around with a rotating camera was really good, made me sad it was just a couple animation cuts

rotating cameras in general rule and it's one of the better things about cg anime

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also nice to get like a relatively low-level story with just a bunch of comedy.

piccolo should be the main character of more things, he's great

i like how he's the only character who at all acts responsibly about the child in the first half of the movie and then he's recklessly irresponsible with the child and the guy he raised for the second half

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've got a promotion interview coming up i should be preparing for but instead of doing that i'm just thinking about how much i should be doing that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

monoke and spirited away loving own

controversial take i know

grave of the fireflies i'd have a hard time rating against their other works because of how different it is. i feel confident in saying that i like it more than nausica or castle in the sky though.

totoro was good but i am definitely not the target audience for that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

one big reason i rank howl so high and mononoke so low is that i like War Is Bad content and i dislike making that point through depiction of insanely badass violence. part of the same reason i dont love evangelion. its simply too sick and goes too hard (there are other reasons)

i do think that war is bad movies that aren't focused on how cool violence is are important to have. but fundamentally violence is cool and badass, and truly great war is bad works are ones that can leverage this fact rather than try to ignore it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i agree, but doing that in a way that does not also look cool and badass is ultimately near impossible without sabotaging your ability to depict said violence in a complex or not-one-note way.

every day i must physically restrain myself from writing an essay about gundam thunderbolt

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i haven't seen howl but you have done a good job of giving me a reason to

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm not sure i agree with the "it's your fault for thinking it's cool" take

i do think monoke takes good efforts to depict its violence as gruesome and shocking though. ashitaka shooting his arrow and seeing it rip both of a guy's arms off is an image that sticks with me.

Ohtori Akio posted:

post the thunderbolt essay btw

there is not just one

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

theres a clear effort to create a gruesome effect but it ends up in a funny place like horror films or evangelion: it is very easy for the created effect to be "lol badass" rather than "oh wow that sucks" especially on repeat viewing. how well the intended message is sent is an aspect thats critical to my overall opinion of a work

i dunno i think it just ends up being both at once, they're not mutually exclusive

Ohtori Akio posted:

post all of them coward

i'm going to bed now but give me any aspect of the film to write an essay discussing and i will abruptly interrupt whatever is being talked about here at some point tomorrow with a big wall of text for people to say "i'm not reading that" to

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I got out of bed to come back and say "that was a silly thing to ask, obviously it will be about the use of violence and how it evokes an emotional reaction from the audience"

This new prompt will be difficult, as I know very little about women's hair styles. However, I will endeavor to deliver.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Work today has obliterated any desire I may have held to be a person and not semi-conscious sludge

New priority tasks have also been created for after work, which I must do rather than lay in bed and groan for 3 hours

My commitment to writing about women's hairstyles in gundam thunderbolt today is wavering, however, for now it remains intact

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

please feel no obligation. however, if you'd like, a sense of challenge and adventure in writing about women's hairstyles is out there

not writing the essay is the path of cowardice and shame

it may not happen today however

it will strike when least expected

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Instead of doing any of the things I was supposed to do or said I'd do, immediately after work ended i:
1. Ate 2 tacos
2. Fell asleep

My only regret is that I bought 3 tacos

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I have an interview tomorrow that I have not prepared enough for, but also the new mattress I ordered arrived well ahead of schedule today so moving all that poo poo around has me far too tired to get out of bed

Oh the bright side, my bed is definitely more comfy now

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The budding wednesday night anime night has been cancelled on account of gently caress me but luckily the historic thursday night anime night is not forecast to be affected

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

What did people think of the new Trigun?

Visually stunning and the writing I very much enjoyed aside from a few spots where they needed some more connective tissue between character beats.

On the whole after rewatching original trigun I found that I liked stampede quite a bit more. The only new take on the characters I don't super care for is wolfwood - he could have had the edge toned down for at least a few scenes.

If you expect it to be the same as the original show you'll be disappointed though. "If people wanted the original show, they could just watch the original show" is an idea stampede took to heart and it provides a very different presentation of the same story concepts and themes. Comparing and contrasting them and how they handled particular elements I find really interesting because of how stark the difference is.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 21, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a vash who, instead of building an outward persona he can hide his feelings behind, is simply so worn down by his guilt that he isn't really capable of hiding it is a substantially different character. You can see him trying and failing to form that outward persona that the original show's vash had down perfectly, it's pretty cool especially in the context that stampede is essentially the backstory to a new version of the original story's events - this is a younger vash we're watching who isn't yet responsible for the destruction of july

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Guilty worn down Vash in Stampede is honestly my biggest issue with it because his attitude in the original show was its living breathing soul. He didn't just sit down and accept bad things happening. His relentless positivity in the face of the brutal poo poo he deals with makes him so endearing. Stampede starts out with that same contrast but very quickly loses it and goes all in on the drama side. Sad Vash needs happy Vash to be compelling IMO.

Also the show completely wasted Legato.

I think the "point" of stampede was exploring different aspects of the characters with different attitudes. I'm glad they didn't just copy and paste in old vash again, I can still go and watch the old trigun. I really dislike these kinds of criticisms that are centered around the show diverging from what was expected of it.

I get that I like dark fiction a lot more than most people, and that's (probably? Idk my perspective is a bit warped here) a fair criticism of the show. But man "it needed to be more like old trigun" really burns my biscuits.

I'm also not sure I agree that stampede vash is all grimdark all the time, I'll need to rewatch again to better form an opinion on that I guess. He's certainly still full of optimism and idealism, and the show ends with him asserting that he's not wrong for that no matter what he's put through or what the reality of human nature is.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It doesn't have to be more like old Trigun but if you are intentionally diverging from the original show and the source material to do a new take then I'd rather you do something interesting with it. Even setting aside my preference for OG Vash and taking the new character entirely on his own merits, mopey "well I guess I deserve it" Stampede Vash doesn't do much for me. I don't know how to really describe it but it feels like he's too willing to take the blame for everything and get tarred and feathered for it mainly so that Meryl and Wolfwood have a reason to yell at him.

No, it was because he genuinely feels that they're right to hate him due to his role in the seed ships crashing? That's like his whole thing, unlike the original show his actions were a direct contribution to knive's ability to destroy the ships. His life is penance for that, every human he meets has categorically been directly affected by his actions. It's a bit of a different feel from bad stuff (including glassing a city) just happening around him because he's there. stampede vash can't reasonably be held accountable for what happened but it's a much more active role in how awful everyone's situation than OG vash, where he was mostly just a bystander after his outburst with the spider pushed knives from "has some uncomfortable but reasonable questions" to "complete psycho".

Like there's more going on with the character than the simplistic doylist reading that he has to be mopey so other characters have an excuse to react to him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Guys i love my new mattress

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mine has "pocketed springs" (this marketing says that's better than regular springs) and has a foam layer on top of that

I was expecting to want something softer but this is actually exactly the amount of sink I didn't know I wanted. I'm glad I listened to the reviews

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I I've nbeen . I'm happy for your new mattress man! A good night's sleep does so much

Thank you it really does

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've just been watching jjk and zom100 as they come out

afro samurai is up next on the anime night docket but people have been cancelling so :shrug:

i myself have mostly been rewatching gwitch while doing other stuff lately

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Didn’t know Made in Abyss was so taboo here

It's the reason namtab was only a mod for 1 day before quitting

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i am so sick and tired of being the guy who deals with the angry and insane clients at work

these last two weeks have been grinding me down guys what's a good anime i can be half conscious and not-sober for during my recovery time

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is Sabikui Bisco any good?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i actually got some very good news today so it was fantastic thank you

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when i was in college i went like 2 years wearing glasses that had a giant crack in them right in the center that i was constantly having to look around. i did this because i simply could not be assed to go get new glasses.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I was in college I got really into playing as relius in blazblue, and on top of lots of other unhealthy habits this hosed my wrist up pretty bad. I went to the doctor and told me I was experiencing nerve pain, and it was due to basically carpal tunnel syndrome but technically in a different location so it wasn't actually carpal tunnel.

Anyways he told he to take a bunch of aleve to reduce the inflammation in my wrist and after a month of doing that daily my wrist was cured*, and I never suffered from any issues. So aleve/naproxen sodium seems fine to take regularly, if you're a college aged man and you only do it for a month, by my personal anecdotal experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tactics ogre loving owns