Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

K-On's fun (maybe 2/3 through S1) but I gave Hibike Euphonium a look and it really grabbed me... some quality high school band drama there... now have finished both seasons, the follow on movie, and have some various bits to catch before the third season starts up. Similarly recently finally got around to checking out Yuru Camp and it was great and the third season of that is almost here too. Yay.

Planning on giving MyGO a look given some recent chatter around here. Sounds a little more toward the drama than the comedy than Bocchi the Rock, which was a ton of fun.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Thank you, BanG Dream! It's MyGO!! for today's vocabularly word, "noraneko" (stray cat; alley cat).

Fun moment from episode six...
https://i.imgur.com/Ts5K7It.mp4

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's sort of a superset of "portal fantasy", which I think is the closest term-of-the-art in western genre writing.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

and TIL that the densha otoko OP is a homage to the Daicon IV intro (2m50s into the archive.org video)...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I took a couple Japanese classes almost two decades ago. Recently decided to try to scrape some of the rust off and see if I can get to a point of being able to read some non-trivial material, etc. Been using wanikani for the past month or so to try to build up some vocabulary (and kanji), and it seems to be helping (though we'll see how well it works as I delve more and more into new material). The simple daily lessons/reviews are easy to make a habit of at least. Acquiring vocabulary was definitely harder for me than learning grammar back then, so I'm hopeful.

One thing that's changed since the early 2000s is the widespread adoption of unicode/utf-8 sure as hell makes dealing with Japanese text online a lot easier than the Bad Old Days of fighting with EUC-JP / SHIFT-JIS / ISO-2022-JP encodings and so on. And there seem to be a lot more resources online for Japanese learning.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 3, 2024

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The Colonel posted:

i'll say wanikani is very much a thing for if the mnemonics work for you. they did not really work for me and the specific gamified set up it had made me feel more miserable and frustrated than anything and i've gotten a lot more help out of just building my own anki deck from any new vocabulary i run into.

I find the mnemonics kind of hit or miss, but it's been mostly helpful so far. The biggest thing for me was that it was zero effort to get going. I think it also probably has more value if you're starting from scratch (or re-learning after a long absence) than if you've already know a bunch of kanji and vocabulary.

I like anki, but getting it all setup well feels like a potential big distraction (at least for me). I do plan on spending some time with it and suspect that long term it may be a better solution due to all the customization possible. I know you can get it configured to require answers to be typed out (a feature I prefer to just self-grading your recall), and so on (having poked at template CSS and the like a bit).

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Actually *using* the language (reading, listening, communicating) does seem pretty important (both to make the learning more meaningful but also to better help retain the knowledge).

I'm leaning on the SRS flashcard-y stuff to help get my baseline vocabulary to a point where I don't need to look up *every* word when trying to read something, but definitely want to do more than reviewing flashcards before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I took two years of French in high school, did not retain much, and never really expected it to be relevant. Joke was on me -- my first real job was at a company cofounded by a Frenchman with a goodly number of French-speaking engineers on the team.