Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
That's weird. I had the s21u and it got covered in microscratches but I haven't had any on my s23u. I've been pretty impressed by how much more resilient the screen has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

bull3964 posted:

Nothing seems to be doing some far more interesting stuff. The 2(a) seems like a legit great little device and it's a shame it's not officially being sold in the US.

I got a Nothing Phone (2a) two weeks ago to replace the Nokia G50 I had before, and it's amazing how much better this phone is. Speedy, responsive and looks good, and the cameras are quite nice. The glyphs are kind of a gimmick but they don't detract from what's overall a great device. Shame it somehow manages to attract dust and fingerprints though.

Obligatory sample photos:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i want to complain about google maps, and i'm not sure it's an android specific thing, but that's where i think most people wind up using maps anyway

i drive to work every day and sometimes take different side streets depending on the day/traffic/situations. i live in los angeles so it's always a guess as to what the gently caress is going to be going on any given day.

anyway, google maps will usually tell me to go down the same streets with a few variations, but i've come to learn that some streets are actually better/faster than what is suggested. so if maps tells me to take street A but i wind up taking street B bc i remember that A has a weird traffic light situation, then my ETA will jump down by like 5 minutes. other times, maps will show me street C as an additional option with the tooltip of "5 minutes faster" or something similar. i'm having a hard time understanding why google maps would not just always prioritize whatever route is going to be the absolute fastest. if it can't predict that street B will be 5 minutes faster before i actually take that route, then that's somewhat more acceptable. but still, if it knows it's faster after i turn down that street, then it stands to reason it would have already known? at the very least if it is going to show me a faster route on the map, it shouldn't make it optional, it should just make that the route.

i suppose you'd have to factor in variability by the minute as new data is gathered? but it's gotten to the point where i don't even really follow the suggested route anymore and have learned better than the algorithm which way is going to be best.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Have you deselected "Prefer fuel-efficient routes" in the navigation settings?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bull3964 posted:

Have you deselected "Prefer fuel-efficient routes" in the navigation settings?

yeah. i originally had that selected but have since unselected it.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I just got an email from Google saying they're automatically opting me in to device tracking. I'm pretty opposed to any kind of tracking even if it's encrypted and meant to find a lost device, and doubly so when it involves automatically being opted IN.

Despite turning off the tracking on my phone, the web portal still locates it immediately. It even lists the phone as having "Find My Device turned off", which is just :bravo:

How the hell do you actually opt out of this?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ShoogaSlim posted:

i want to complain about google maps, and i'm not sure it's an android specific thing, but that's where i think most people wind up using maps anyway

i drive to work every day and sometimes take different side streets depending on the day/traffic/situations. i live in los angeles so it's always a guess as to what the gently caress is going to be going on any given day.

anyway, google maps will usually tell me to go down the same streets with a few variations, but i've come to learn that some streets are actually better/faster than what is suggested. so if maps tells me to take street A but i wind up taking street B bc i remember that A has a weird traffic light situation, then my ETA will jump down by like 5 minutes. other times, maps will show me street C as an additional option with the tooltip of "5 minutes faster" or something similar. i'm having a hard time understanding why google maps would not just always prioritize whatever route is going to be the absolute fastest. if it can't predict that street B will be 5 minutes faster before i actually take that route, then that's somewhat more acceptable. but still, if it knows it's faster after i turn down that street, then it stands to reason it would have already known? at the very least if it is going to show me a faster route on the map, it shouldn't make it optional, it should just make that the route.

i suppose you'd have to factor in variability by the minute as new data is gathered? but it's gotten to the point where i don't even really follow the suggested route anymore and have learned better than the algorithm which way is going to be best.

I just use tom tom which can be janky to setup and run but it avoids all traffic great

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gently caress it I'm a filthy phone toucher I went and upgraded to the S24 Ultra. the trade in offer for the S22U was too good to pass up. transferring the e-sim with T-Mobile was pretty painless too

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scam Likely posted:

I just got an email from Google saying they're automatically opting me in to device tracking. I'm pretty opposed to any kind of tracking even if it's encrypted and meant to find a lost device, and doubly so when it involves automatically being opted IN.

Despite turning off the tracking on my phone, the web portal still locates it immediately. It even lists the phone as having "Find My Device turned off", which is just :bravo:

how the hell do you use a Google Pixel and are suddenly worried about being tracked lmao

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Scam Likely posted:

There are two different things happening here. Your phone location is tracked via GPS/wifi triangulation, this has been a feature for years. The new Find My Device is reporting observed Bluetooth devices, particularly so there's data on 'dumb' devices like a tag in a backpack. You can turn off the Bluetooth reporting, but I don't know if it's possible to turn off the phone location reporting.

It sucks that everyone is being opted into a potentially privacy shattering system by default, but Find My Device needs a critical mass of data to actually become useful and it does have incredible potential for helping track down lost or stolen items. If Google didn't opt people in, everyone would continue to complain about how Apple's tracker tag ecosystem is so much better.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The only way to opt out of being tracked is is in your imagination

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
this is probably a stupid question but i used samsung messages up until getting the S24U and now i'm being ushered into using google messages again, which i don't think i've used since i had a Pixel

is there any way to force it to use the system default larger notification popups? the little mini banners are a little annoying to me, and i know i can tap the arrow next to it to have it show the regular notification, but if there's a way to just have that be the default it would be great

e: never mind i am stupid. i just had to change notification style from simple to detailed in system settings rather than looking for it in the app settings

barnold fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 3, 2024

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Jiro posted:

I've been looking at upgrading but also wanting to keep a headphone jack and expandable memory since I listen to and keep gigs and gigs worth of podcast episodes on my phone to listen to when I'm traveling out in the sticks/on a plane etc.

Jiro posted:

I've never really trusted saving Data to the cloud, Apple or otherwise. I like keeping that poo poo with me, and have no problem letting those images along with apps that I want to carry over eat up the phone space and keep audio media on a removable micro sd. :shrug:

Makes more sense to compromise with an external USB C microSD reader like this instead of compromising the device by restricting your options to the number of devices which still have a slot. While there are downsides to not having it integrated into the device (i.e. you'll need a splitter to charge at the same time), the upside is that an external reader can more readily hotswap cards. So grab one of these cases and you'll be wielding TB's of media like liquid extensions of your body

Scam Likely posted:

https://support.google.com/android/answer/14796936

From what I can tell the "Find your Offline Devices" part is the actual new thing being rolled out, the "Find Devices" setting works exactly as it did before this new rollout (i.e. it just disables the ability to ping, remote wipe and lock the device). Do you have Location History/Maps timeline switched off? I assume its being pulled from there, especially since IIRC they recently made a song and dance about a new ability of making that become device only in Google Maps.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

I vaguely recall some neighborhoods pushing back against Waze routing people through them. Maybe these faster routes are intentionally removed/de-emphasized at the request of residents?
https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/a21212/how-homeowners-fighting-waze/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here are the levels.

quote:

Off: Your device’s encrypted recent locations won't be stored and your Android device won’t participate in the network. What happens when you turn off offline finding.

Without network: Your device won’t participate in the network. You can still locate your offline devices with their encrypted recent locations that were stored when they were online. Offline finding without the network.

With network in high-traffic areas only (default): Locate your offline devices with their encrypted recent locations or the network in areas like airports or busy footpaths. Offline finding in high-traffic areas.

With network in all areas: Locate your offline devices with their stored and encrypted recent locations or the network in high-traffic and low-traffic areas. Offline finding in all areas.

"Without network" is how find my device used to work if you had it turned on at all.

The reason why they have two different levels (high traffic and high/low traffic) is due to aggregation. Everything is encrypted and secure, but the "high traffic" option (which is the default) adds an extra layer of anonymity since it has to be aggregate pings.

quote:

With aggregation, the Find My Device network waits until multiple Android devices have detected a lost item. Find My Device then shows the owner of the lost item a center point calculated from the multiple location reports.

So, you leave your bag in a coffee shop. Someone walking down the sidewalk picks it up. The barista picks it up, other patrons pick it up, some people next door pick it up. When you search for it, you get the centered aggregate position. By doing the aggregation, you aren't getting the location data of any one person so the privacy burden is lessened.

The low traffic area ones mean that you could get a ping for your device from a single encounter (or, your device could ping someone else's lost item when your phone is the only one around). Because there's not enough people for aggregation, your phone only has its location to report where it pinged the lost item. Thus, a location given to the person of the lost item is more exact to your actual location when you encountered the tracker.

The data is still encrypted and that person has no way of finding out anything about the device that pinged it, but it has less anonymity so that's why its not the default.

Obviously, the levels are framed around the precision that tracks your device because it's a two way road. You aren't allowed to say you want your device/trackers to be found in low traffic areas while not participating in low traffic reporting yourself.

As to what's being shown in the example above, I believe that's a nuance.

When off, your phone will not STORE AND UPLOAD the locations it's been when it's online. However, if your phone is on and connected to a network, find my device will contact it through the network connection and ask it where it is. I don't think you can turn that off short of not signing into your account. However, if your phone is off, or disconnected from any internet, I don't think it will know where it was last seen. Basically, if off you can still get realtime location of your phone as long as it can communicate with the network. It just won't be able to report where it last was before it was turned off/disconnected. I am not 100% sure of all this, but I believe that's what's going on here.

Keep in mind that any LEO can go to a judge and potentially get a subpoena for tower records to get your location even if your phone has GPS burned off of its motherboard. You have a cell phone, you can be tracked.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 3, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So if everything is encrypted, why does it matter if it's aggregated? Well, low traffic (especially a single ping) COULD be abused.

Say someone lives out in the middle of nowhere and they have the low traffic sitting on. Someone could remotely tell if they were home by hiding a tracker along their driveway or near the house (too close though and it would set off warnings about a foreign tracker). If the person let their phone behind when they planted the tracker, then they would know as soon as the location updated to the planted location that someone got home.

I'm sure there are other creative ways to abuse the low traffic setting, but that's why it isn't default.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

also you should be forced to take part, because the more devices that are enrolled in this the better chance of people finding their lost items. you have a cell phone, you're being tracked, this is a stupid line to draw

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you want to murder someone leave your phone at home, otherwise I don't care about tracking

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Any guides to decrapify a Samsung phone? Mainly the Samsung's own stuff, especially things that randomly throw notifications. I'm trying to prepare a new A15 for my mother who has never used a smartphone before and I don't want any confusing stuff to randomly appear.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Might sound patronizing, but you can turn on the Samsung “Easy Mode” in the settings and then restrict apps other than the ones she actually wants to use. Doesn’t really do what you’re asking, but it definitely makes it simpler for a first time user.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Your mind will be blown when you learn your location has already used for years to anonymously create traffic data for Google Maps

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
At this point the war over data privacy is lost and imho it's better to shrug and accept that someone is gonna track everything you're doing, rather than fight the windmills, jump through all the hoops to avoid being tracked and still have someone track everything you're doing. There's just no tangible benefit.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
It's not black and white. You can spread your services around, or use some privacy focused tools where it's most convenient, etc. An easy one is to switch away from Gmail, or stop using Chrome.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Might sound patronizing, but you can turn on the Samsung “Easy Mode” in the settings and then restrict apps other than the ones she actually wants to use. Doesn’t really do what you’re asking, but it definitely makes it simpler for a first time user.

Don't know Samsung, but a very important thing on my mom's phone was to remove as much stuff as possible from the pull down menu. She'd be constantly turning off Wi-Fi or going into Airplane Mode while fumbling around.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Yeah, I did that, but I wish I could remove the big IoT button below the quick settings as well.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Weird thing my parents do with their phones is without meaning to or understanding what happened, dragging icons onto and all around the home page, even dragging them off to new pages which confuses them even more, and that's when you get a call from the other's phone asking why "my buttons went away".

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a way to disable the "Your battery is currently being protected blah blah blah" notifications? It comes back every couple of hours after I swipe it away.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Quixzlizx posted:

Is there a way to disable the "Your battery is currently being protected blah blah blah" notifications? It comes back every couple of hours after I swipe it away.

What is kind of phone? I've never seen anything like this on a Pixel.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

hooah posted:

What is kind of phone? I've never seen anything like this on a Pixel.

Pixel 6a. Maybe you don't keep your phone plugged in all the time? It's when Android keeps the battery capped at 80% once the phone has been plugged in for long enough. Which is fine, I just don't want the constant notification showing up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Quixzlizx posted:

Pixel 6a. Maybe you don't keep your phone plugged in all the time? It's when Android keeps the battery capped at 80% once the phone has been plugged in for long enough. Which is fine, I just don't want the constant notification showing up.

Huh. Yeah, I usually charge wirelessly, but it often appears (or claims to be) full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

withoutclass posted:

It's not black and white. You can spread your services around, or use some privacy focused tools where it's most convenient, etc. An easy one is to switch away from Gmail, or stop using Chrome.

Yeah exactly what I was saying. Switching email is a huge hassle for absolutely no tangible benefit. Same for switching browser (all my passwords are stored in the cross platform chrome password manager)