Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mordja posted:

Yeah, plotwise it's pretty much a 1:1 adaptation, just elevated by its...everything. Fightwise though, it's far and above what's in the manga.

To be honest I kind of think they went too far. The manga has a more subdued tone which I think adds to the atmosphere, so making everything bigger and better almost makes it into an entirely different work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Clarste posted:

To be honest I kind of think they went too far. The manga has a more subdued tone which I think adds to the atmosphere, so making everything bigger and better almost makes it into an entirely different work.

I think that’s the perfect way for an adaptation. Don’t change what shouldn’t be changed, respect the source material but take advantage of the medium. That way both have their strengths and are individually strong, and one doesn’t replace the other.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd agree with that. The spare fight sequences work better on the page. If they tried to match that in animation, I think the lack of spectacle would start to wear on people. It also helps to accentuate the contrast between the subdued character acting and buck-wild action sequences, which really makes the rare moments of clear emotion hit that much harder.

Like, Frieren's proud mage-mom moment when Fern nukes her clone works so much better in the anime, at least for me, because we've just seen how ludicrously powerful Frieren is in a fight.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I mentioned this a few pages back (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042890&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post538515597), but one place where I feel like the anime went above and beyond was much more elaborate backgrounds that showed off the world design well -- obviously having a full production staff helps a lot here...

The King's Tomb, for example was a pretty generic looking dungeon in the manga... compared to the design work they did in the anime...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It also had one of the few story additions they made, when Frieren and friends found that mural.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Interiors are possibly the weakest part of the manga's art, just too generic and characterless; made up of ruler-straight lines and spacious interiors, not really giving any sense of history or being lived-in. Even Richter's shop in the anime, spare as it is, is a step up in terms of atmosphere.

Not a position statement about which version is "superior", mind, I agree fully with this:

rio posted:

I think that’s the perfect way for an adaptation. Don’t change what shouldn’t be changed, respect the source material but take advantage of the medium. That way both have their strengths and are individually strong, and one doesn’t replace the other.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Also difference in staffing, time, budget, creative minds/hands on the material ...

Mordja posted:

It also had one of the few story additions they made, when Frieren and friends found that mural.

... which was a bit odd, TBH. They walk down a secret corridor, admire a pretty picture, then walk out again. Unless there's some payoff for that lore drop in the future, it didn't add much more than three minutes of running time.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

It was another moment to see frieren be happy for fern being happy. It's a cute moment.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, that whole story is filled with sweet little vignettes of Frieren admiring a piece of history. Hardly hurts to have one more.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I thought it was to show Sense that despite her appearance to that point, Frieren was capable of useful/first class mage things because prior to that it sort of looked like she was just bumbling around/having a good time in the dungeon to the examiner

I liked it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I thought it was to show Sense that despite her appearance to that point, Frieren was capable of useful/first class mage things because prior to that it sort of looked like she was just bumbling around/having a good time in the dungeon to the examiner

I liked it

Sense was there when Frieren shattered the barrier.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Sense was there when Frieren shattered the barrier.

Yeah in the previous exam stage where she wasn't the proctor

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It's a nice character moment that underlines Frieren's perspective on dungeons: she's utterly jaded by the lore and history, she perceives a dungeon as a series of puzzle setpieces to be metagamed for loot, but then she finds a reason to be interested because Fern is interested. It's a neat miniaturization of her larger arc.

(It also worldbuilds a little that dungeons in Frieren run on video game rules, but that is a tacit theme anyway)

More pragmatically, ep24 is high-energy mage battles back-to-back; you can practically hear the adaptation writer's room discussion on how to pace it out. The Denken workshop session gets padded a lot too.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mirage posted:

Also difference in staffing, time, budget, creative minds/hands on the material ...

... which was a bit odd, TBH. They walk down a secret corridor, admire a pretty picture, then walk out again. Unless there's some payoff for that lore drop in the future, it didn't add much more than three minutes of running time.

As a manga reader and fan of the worldbuilding, it was a pretty big deal.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, Kotobukiya is releasing this figure around October. Should I preorder it?
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/frieren-beyond-journeys-end-frieren-kotobukiya-913146

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised it is still available for preorder at some shops. But you know this is going to be one of those things that jumps 50% the minute it hits the secondary market. >_>

Edit: Also, I found this. :v:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/275653?o=4

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 9, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

So, Kotobukiya is releasing this figure around October. Should I preorder it?
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/frieren-beyond-journeys-end-frieren-kotobukiya-913146

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised it is still available for preorder at some shops. But you know this is going to be one of those things that jumps 50% the minute it hits the secondary market. >_>

Edit: Also, I found this. :v:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/275653?o=4

Get two, paint one brown and sell it somewhere as a very exclusive Copy Frieren. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Get two, paint one brown and sell it somewhere as a very exclusive Copy Frieren. :eng101:

I like this plan! This is a good plan! Let's go with this plan!