Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
coincidentally this week's 16bit sensation is about fighting against yospos style people who think ai is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1737790262402064744?t=CbPET8xBOTtTyHW5zBaE8A&s=19

Oh fun more AI. Vocals this time

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I tried an obviously AI translated series on novel updates the other day and it translated one character's name three different ways in a single chapter. they have a ways to go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stink Billyums posted:

they have a ways to go.

Yeah the way to go is into the dumpster.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MangaAlerts/status/1737905308582940684?s=20

DUNGEON MESHI IS A SIMULCAST

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't mean to be a sourpuss, but have Netflix's simulcasts ever actually been simultaneous? Wasn't Zom 100 running a few days late, for example?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It says January 4, which is the same day that it's premiering on Japanese networks

Sounds pretty simul to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fyi with the magus bride tl thing if you read they're paying a human to 'go over it' so really whats happening here is just a guy is being paid less to translate it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I assume Netflix has got it worked out so that their pipeline and the JP release dates line up for once but I won't be surprised if it slips once or twice. Meanwhile Hi-Dive managed to simuldub The Eminence in Shadow just fine and if they can do it I'd certainly hope Netflix, with its much higher per show budget, can.

Speaking of shadows and eminences it was a fun romp this season with multiple storylines in sequence concluding satisfactorily and an interesting hook for the upcoming movie.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Big Leg posted:

coincidentally this week's 16bit sensation is about fighting against yospos style people who think ai is good

That lady has some real wonky cleavage.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ibblebibble posted:

That lady has some real wonky cleavage.

she's stuck in the dark timeline, cut her some slack.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm going to destroy all the YOSPOS style people who think AI is good.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I was thinking of watching the latest Shield Hero season but I couldn't remember if I saw Season 2 or not. I can't remember anything about it! This show is so unremarkable I can't find a single memory of it in my head. It's possible I never even finished it because it was so bad. I can't remember a single plot point beyond the first 3 episodes of Season 1.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why were you thinking of watching the latest season of a show you don't like.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

why were you thinking of watching the latest season of a show you don't like.

Ah, therein lies the problem - they can't even remember whether they liked it or not.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Because surely this fantasy trash will be good!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Speaking of which, I finished watching S Rank Daughter and it was pretty mid but I still enjoyed it. The series deserved a better adaptation but a middle of the road anime is alright I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What part does it end at? I love the style of the manga but the anime didn't look like it translated across well.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It ends right after Angeline gets back to Orphen from the grand duke's mansion.

And yeah the unique art style of the manga isn't preserved at all.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
as is often the case, it wasn't bad but kinda flat and had I only watched the anime it probably wouldn't spur me to read the books

by the way the final novel is out in english from j-novel next month. there was also was just recently a new side story volume in japanese to capitalize on the anime, which I assume j-novel will get to next.

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 22, 2023

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
how does crunchyroll et al pick what shows get dubbed? eg the angel next door spoils me rotten has no english dub but it does have a hindi dub.

or is it a case of someone else did localisation and crunchyroll just happened to pickup the distribution rights?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The latter, I think. CR does have their own dubbing crew for some shows but not everything they stream was initially licensed by them. Really shows dubbed by CR themselves come down to whether they feel it's worth the investment.

It's also really, really annoying that CR dubbed shows rarely give proper credits for the cast and crew. There'll be a social media post on Twitter for a headliner or a voice actor announcing their role but it's nothing like the way Netflix credits their dub casts for all language tracks.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sadly, you apparently need a time machine to go watch it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Under Ninja was loving wild. 10/10.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I would say that I like Under Ninja, but I have no idea what the actual plot is and neither do the two friends I watch it with. I was actually convinced we had missed an episode or two.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It was a compelling advertisement for the manga.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the final episode's title vs. seeing what the context of it was in the episode was one of the best payoffs for the "episode titles are lines of dialogue" naming scheme

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Masterstroke to (major spoilers for Under Ninja) kill off the main character and then introduce three copies of him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im not sure how I feel about Under Ninja. It wasnt bad or anything, but Im still so confused about who are the good guys and who are the bad guys and why they even hate each other.

Invisi-dude and Strong Girl were kind of boring villains and having them off 2 main characters was a weird move. I cant imagine pulling that off without knowing you are going to be making a second season.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
the underlying plot of UN is (or seems to be) pretty much that one line in the intro about how when MacArthur landed in Japan after WW2 ninjas tried to assassinate him, but other ninjas stepped in to protect him - the ninja factions have been in a decadeslong secret cold war, and it's about to start going hot.

but the show seems maybe deliberately to be obfuscating that for most of the run - drops you in seeing the perspective of mostly low-level grunts who don't know the big picture (and anyone who does know isn't talking about it), then it front-loads some time jumps and a mostly unrelated sub-plot about a Russian guy to boot.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

cave emperor posted:

Masterstroke to (major spoilers for Under Ninja) kill off the main character and then introduce three copies of him.

I felt through a lot of the run of this show that I had no idea what I was watching and this fucken ending both absolutely reinforced that and also made me giggle like a child. That the copies are all more clean cut is cherry on the top lmao

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Shows I've finished (or will finish) this season:

Frieren: This is great. As others have commented on, it dips a bit more into familiar fantasy travelogue territory than the original premise suggested, but even as a less introspective "four doofuses on a quest" story, it absolutely works. This is thanks in no small part to rock solid direction, great voice performances, and animation that looks amazing in general, and really soars at times. The fantasy setting swings back and forth between generic to the point of cliched (any mention of a demon king is enough to make me roll my eyes) and genuinely interesting and thought provoking, and the episodic structure means that it never gets stuck in a rut for too long. Wonderful show, absolutely will continue to watch.

Apothecary Diaries: Another solid show. Part court intrigue, part medicine-based detective show, all well-made and engaging. I feel like I'm maybe less sold on this show than other though; while it's undeniably good, it does suffer from inconsistent writing (some of the plots-of-the-week have been real duds), and the shallow pool of characters means that Maomao has to carry the entire thing (particularly if, like me, you don't much care about Jinshi). It has been dipping its toes into more ambitious and impactful plotlines as of the last couple of episodes, so I'm curious to see how it will evolve in its second half. (Also, bring back the awesome rotoscoped animation from that one early episode please.)

Under Ninja: This show's an absolute mess in terms of plot and pacing, but it's an entertaining mess, for the most part. The flashback structure of the first couple of episodes ended up being largely unnecessary and mostly just crippled the initial pacing, and some of its later plotlines go absolutely nowhere, sometimes to hilarious effect (like the cat rushing to school only to be thwarted by a single door). The plot did end up tilting towards overly serious towards the end, but the show never stopped being funny, and its OP is an absolute banger. Above all, it remained completely unpredictable from start to finish; even if some of the details didn't quite work out, I do applaud it for that.

16bit Sensation: Speaking of unpredictable, this show did not go the way I thought it would. What started out as a love-letter to small-scale game development in the 90s ended up going somewhere completely different. Without wanting to spoil too much, I did not expect an eroge development slice of life comedy to pivot to commenting on the nature of AI in modern/future game development. I was close to dropping this after the first couple of episodes, not being particularly invested in the particular slice of nostalgia bait it appeared to be going for, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Also, Konaha is great, I will defend her awful Kaguya gremlin voice to the end.

Uma Musume: Sure, it's an advertisement for an awful gacha game (which is itself an advertisement for an awful "sport"), and sure, it's worse than the first two seasons by quite a margin, and sure, the plot feels like it's running in circles (haha), but on the other hand, it did get me to tear up more than once. It's not good, but it's still good at what it does.

Idolmaster Million Live: Pleasant enough, but genuinely does not have a single original idea. The only thing setting it apart from the other iM@S outings - or other idol shows in general - is the sheer number of idols this time around, but this also means that everyone outside of the main group gets reduced to one-liners and focus episodes.

Shows I dropped, in the order I dropped them:

Shangri-La Frontier: People seem to be having a good time with this, and good for them, but I absolutely hated the second episode. That fight scene at the bridge remains one of the most boring scenes of anime I've watched in a long time, and completely sapped my will to keep watching.

SHY: Being lukewarm on the manga - which looks amazing, but suffers from serious plotting and pacing issues - I was only marginally interested in the adaptation, and since that didn't appear to be shooting for more than "adequate" I felt fine dropping it after three episodes.

100 Girlfriends: Showed some promise in the first episode, but despite a somewhat refreshing, self-aware take on the ecchi harem genre, it turned out to still be an ecchi harem show at heart. Funny at times, but not for me.

Kamierabi: Dime-a-dozen plot, only checked it out because of Yoko Taro. Some promise - I actually quite liked the CGI character designs - but the main character was insufferable, and nothing about the plot interested me.

Pluto: For whatever reason, AI as a plot element doesn't interest me at all. Combined with the 60-minute episode format - which I guess was intended to make it seem more prestige-y, but mostly just resulted in glacial pacing - the odds were stacked against this show from the start, and I couldn't bring myself to press play on the third episode. I should mention that I have zero knowledge of Astro Boy, so that dimension of the story was completely lost on me as well.

Bullbuster: Awful monster CGI aside, this was mostly just boring. The idea of combining a mecha show with a workplace show is fun, but the mystery of the island ended up falling flat, and the plot was full of holes.

Undead Unluck: A promising, energetic start, but turned into something far more by-the-numbers once it got past the initial setup. Dropped it towards the end of the zombie arc.

Hishikuzu Telepath: This was okay, might actually undrop it if I need something to watch next season. Overly saccharine at times, but still enjoyable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And with that, Otona is over. That was alright for the most part and I liked that Splash Star finally got some love after all this time, not sure what the point of shoving Futari Wa in at the end ultimately was though since we never see them out of uniform and it's only vaguely implied what they're doing now (conservation work I assume).

That said, the Precure manga artists did do their own interpretation of what those 3 would look like as adults (they’re in the back next to Komachi):

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

catching up on this season's Spy x Family.
wow, stuff actually happening on this multi-episode arc here in the middle

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GateOfD posted:

catching up on this season's Spy x Family.
wow, stuff actually happening on this multi-episode arc here in the middle

Sometimes the boat is good.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes it's a nice boat.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Kwyndig posted:

Yes it's a nice boat.

tomorrow is the annual school days marathon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He'll never be the head of a major corporation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otona was kinda eh but it got me to watch yes which owned. mostly just not really sure who otona was for, cause it didnt really lean into the character dynamics enough to be a treat for yes fans, i doubt splash star fans wanted the weird het marriage stuff, and futari wa was barely in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

Sometimes the boat is good.

The boat arc is rad but really i think spy x family has good arcs in general

the thing that eventually killed my interest is how thoroughly those arcs always return to the status quo. the pace towards any kind of resolution for any of the larger story or character arcs is goddamn glacial, even for anime