Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for September, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 6 6.12%
:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (Triple Crown Champion) 3 3.06%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 0 0%
:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) 1 1.02%
:cloudnine: IYO SKY (WWE Women's Champion) 2 2.04%
:gas: Saraya (AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 2 2.04%
:gritin: Chris Brookes (KO-D Openweight Champion) 3 3.06%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli ([u]FORMER[/i] ROH World Champion) 1 1.02%
:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) 75 76.53%
:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) 0 0%
:byodame: Rhea Ripley (WWE Women's World Champion) 2 2.04%
:bigwhat: None of the Above 3 3.06%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Following the August poll, for the third time this year MJF was the Champion of the Month, single-handledly making AEW equal New Japan's total wins for the year all by himself! With Athena out of the mix for August, MJF could not be denied, quadrupling the next highest result which was ALSO for AEW, via former AEW Women's Champion Hikaru Shida's 9 votes. Yuma Aoyagi had a respectable third place finish for All Japan, but with no ROH and no New Japan it was definitely AEW's month to shine, and nobody shined brighter than the man who main evented the biggest paid wrestling crowd of all time. The man who is better than you, and 52.63% of you knew it! August was MJF's!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Alex Shelley (Impact), Emi Sakura (Gatoh Move), Madoka Kikuta (Dragon Gate), Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's), Mizuki (TJPW), Roman Reigns (WWE), SANADA (New Japan), Tam Nakano (Stardom), and T-Hawk (GLEAT) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - MJF dominated in August, but in September he had some unpleasant reminders of a time when he wasn't on top of the world. Samoa Joe, credited with helping keep the CM Punk match viable at All In after another backstage brawl, was seemingly rewarded both for that and also the fact he's super loving cool by having him remind MJF of a time when he was just an extra to Joe's star. The two wrestled at Arthur Ashe Stadium for Grand Slam, where both men had no problem with cheating where necessary. But MJF proved the cannier of the two, making timely use of distraction to choke Joe out with a foreign object unseen and fulfill his promise to choke Joe out in the middle of the ring for insulting him. Joe even made a point of shaking MJF's hand afterwards, after all has no problems with shortcuts and cheating himself, and the "kid" proved himself a man by doing what Joe does... but better!

:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (Triple Crown Champion) - Aoyagi book-ended his month in wildly different ways, starting September by defeating ball-smashing veteran Satoshi Kojima and then ending it by defeating the very young (even younger than Aoyagi) Ryuki Honda to retain his title and extend his run of successful defenses to 4, surpassing former champion Yuji Nagata and equalling All Japan legend Kento Miyahara's last two runs as Triple Crown Champ to boot. In fact you have to go back to Suwama in 2021 before you find a champion who has held onto the Triple Crown longer. Can he keep it up?

Blake Christian (GCW Champion) - Christian meanwhile is speed-running the length of title defenses an All Japan Champion might hope for with 17 so far since June, and 6 in September alone! Defeating Francesco Akira, Leon Slater, Man Like DeReiss, Peter Tihanyi, Axel Tischer and Charles Crowley across America, England and Germany in a single month, he's really putting the work in.

:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) - Trinity defeated Alisha Edwards at Impact's Victory Road PPV in early September to retain her title, spending most of the rest of the month wrestling against Gisele Shaw and Savannah Evans.

:cloudnine: IYO SKY (WWE Women's Champion) - Having cashed in her Money in the Bank Briefcase to defeat Bianca Belair in 10 seconds in August before a quick win over Zelina Vega later that month, it was September when IYO had her first real challenge. Facing old friend (and often foe) Asuka, IYO eventually took the win after a near twenty minute match. There was some dispute over the finish, with Bayley and Charlotte getting involved, but the quality of the match itself was, unsurprisingly, highly praised.

:gas: Saraya (AEW Women's Champion) - With the Outcasts in shambles thanks to Toni Storm's (wildly entertaining) deranged antics, Saraya went into Grand Slam facing what was once her close friend. Ruby Soho still had Saraya's back, but the cheating antics of the three were now turned against each other. Toni looked to have the match won when she went for the hip attack on Saraya's surgically repaired neck, but Saraya dodged and blasted Toni to retain the belt in a very entertaining match. Saraya, after a rough start - understandable after such a long time "retired" - appears to be getting back into her groove as a wrestler.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - Athena, thanks to ROH's taping schedule, appeared to have a quiet August and September due to matches not airing till sometimes a week or more after they happened. But in September, she successfully defended her ROH Women's Title against Allysin Kay and then Angelina Love, with a match wrestled but not yet aired against Leyla Hirsch to come in October. Will next month's poll see Hirsch take her place? The only way to find out is to watch ROH or just look up the results for yourself now!

:gritin: Chris Brookes (KO-D Openweight Champion)- After defeating Shigehiro Irie at Big Bang, Chris Brookes took the unusual step of laying out the next challenge for his belt himself. Calling out longtime friend and ally Saki Akai, Brookes challenged her to challenge him for his KO-D Title at Who's Gonna Top? in late September. With Akai soon to retire from wrestling, he saw this as his last, best chance to get a high profile match against her, and she readily accepted in true Saki Akai fashion by slapping him in the face to go along with her yes. The two, predictably due to their friendship, proceeded to beat the poo poo out of each other for our entertainment at the show, and God bless them both for it.

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (FORMER ROH World Champion) - Claudio's tremendous 9 month second reign as ROH Champion came to an end at last where - after years and years and multiple promotions and endless poo poo-talking, it all came down to Claudio vs. former friend/now bitter enemy Eddie Kingston with both the ROH and NJPW STRONG Openweight Title on the line. There could be only one final winner, only one person could be the better man, to finally end the years of animosity and poo poo-talking.

:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) - You can vote for whoever you want to this month and every month. But if you don't vote for Eddie, then I don't know what else you could possibly be looking for in pro-wrestling. You do you, friend, there is no judgement here, but goddamn if Eddie's victory and getting the handshake from Claudio as he finally ascended to World Champion status (depending on how you feel about Chikara) well... goddamn. Goddamn.

:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) - Jake Lee continued to reinforce his legitimacy as NOAH's top champion as he added Go Shiozaki to a murderer's row of former champions he has now defeated since coming over from All Japan. The problem now of course is that he's beaten all the top guys and NOAH is notorious for not being very good at building up their younger talent. With Katsuhiko Nakajima leaving the promotion, Kaito Kiyomiya descending into meme status as a loser, the only truly viable option left is Kenoh. A beautiful, angry, petty little man and a great choice for Champion were he to win... but also somebody who has already been champion twice and who is getting up in years himself. Perhaps then Jake Lee IS the future of NOAH, but we'll have to wait for the future to see!

:byodame: Rhea Ripley (WWE Women's World Champion) - Defeating Raquel Rodriguez twice in September over the course of less than two weeks, Rhea hasn't actually wrestled any matches for the rest of the month. I forgot to add her to a poll a couple of months ago and nobody even noticed, perhaps it's time to consider dropping one of the two WWE Women's Title matches from the poll? I won't ask, I'll just wait to see if anybody even bothers to notice I raised that as a possibility in this write-up. A fun little Easter Egg for you all!

:bigwhat: None of the Above - If seeing these options gets a big What? reaction from you, or you just want to see the results, then None of the Above is the option for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Eddie Kingston

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'd usually go Yuma because he rules and both his defences ruled, this is the month for Chris Brookes

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Write-in vote for Kris Stat.

Love Eddie but I take this too seriously and don't like voting for champs whose only match was winning the title so idk.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Chrissy B is having a wonderful first run as champ, but I cannot imagine voting for anyone other than Eduardo Moore (born December 12, 1981), better known by his ring name Eddie Kingston,

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Always seems weird having an AEW midcard title in these polls.

Anyway, I voted Yuma Aoyagi because I have too much of a backlog & have only seen about 15 shows from September, & the only title matches on those shows were Yuma Aoyagi vs Satoshi Kojima and Yuma Aoyagi vs Ryuki Honda.

Still deserves it mind.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Eddie Kingston

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The one month I could comfortably and happily campaign for Chris Brookes, Eddie Kingston had to come along and win the big one and steal my vote away. Unfair!

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

e_kingston_addresses_enemies.jpg

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

EDDIE
EDDIE
EDDIE
EDDIE
EDDIE
EDDIE
EDDIE
EDDIE
EDDIE

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

yonkers baby

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Yuma

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With 80% of the vote 1 day in with 4 days to go, Eddie is killing it. Don't forget to vote, especially if (when) you're voting for Eddie!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted for Rhea Ripley because she is pretty, and seems nice.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

It’s GOTTA be Eddie. Come on. It’s always been Eddie. He’s the Grand Champion of my heart. And this forum.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

YONKAHS ALWAYS WINS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Day 2 of 5 of the most important vote you will make for the next 2 years, and Eddie Kingston's lead has plummeted disastrously as he now only has 79% of the total vote! Eddie needs your votes to save him from calamity, only YOU can save him! Or vote for somebody else too if that's your bag, I'm not your boss (a little known law says bosses get to vote for you).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I voted None of the Above as I didn't see Roman Reigns

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I voted Eddie. Mostly because I somehow missed MJF vs Samoa Joe.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's unlikely they'll make a comeback at this point so will be happy with Yuma and Chris in equal second

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3 days in, 2 days to go, Eddie Kingston's calamitous plummet continues as he's now only got 75% of the total vote! Make your vote count, you cowards!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

getting close to the end. i know 100 votes is a lot to ask at this stage. but can you give me 90? remember all that we've been through and give your old pal something to get out of bed for tomorrow

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you for the three votes since i asked for votes. i feel energized and extremely positive about our future together. 90 votes is comfortably within reach. let's climb to the top of this mountain. we may be placing ourselves into a prime position for considering the prospect of going even further. how do you keep going up after you've reached the peak? let me show you something. this is a plan i came up with on computer.

We might could be unstoppable.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I voted, for Eddie Kingston.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You have one day left to make Cavauro's dreams come true!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Even though she is going to deservedly lose, and quite badly so, to Eddie Kingston. I stand by my lone vote for Rhea Ripley.

For she is pretty, and surely that deserves a single vote on an internet popularity contest.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

And Eddie isn't?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I want to change my vote to Christian Cage

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Even though she is going to deservedly lose, and quite badly so, to Eddie Kingston. I stand by my lone vote for Rhea Ripley.

For she is pretty, and surely that deserves a single vote on an internet popularity contest.

I dunno, Eddie’s kinda pretty. Have you seen those eyebrows??

Please don’t tell him I said this :ohdear:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vote to make it so that there's 100 votes. that would be a great way to ignore the poll and not look at it like you want to do

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

I want to change my vote to Christian Cage

Counterpoint, he once willingly had his hair cut into the Sting rat-tail.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gaz-L posted:

Counterpoint, he once willingly had his hair cut into the Sting rat-tail.

I want to vote for Christian Cage twice.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vote for the most deserving champion soon. right now if you can

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The world got a little less cold in September, as Eddie Kingston followed up his big ROH World Championship win by becoming The Kayfabe Octagon's Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Month. It was the first time he has ever won a month, and he did so in dominant fashion with over 75% of the almost 100 votes cast. The nearest competitor was last month's winner MJF, who only managed 6 votes, with DDT's Chris Brookes and All Japan's Yuma Aoyagi taking a joint 3rd place with three votes each. This is the third month ROH has won the Champ of the Month poll for TKO this year, but the first time it was the World Champion doing so, as the previous two wins came from Women's Champion Athena. With AEW celebrating it's 4th Anniversary in early October, it's remarkable to think that back when it started Eddie Kingston was seriously considering selling his wrestling boots just to help make a mortgage payment for the month. Now he's traveling the world, meeting his heroes, is New Japan Strong Champion, ROH Champion, finally got closure with long time rival/enemy Claudio Castagnoli, and more importantly than all of that has become The Kayfabe Octagon's Champion of the Month for September, 2023! Eddie Kingston, when contacted for comment, had this important message.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 7, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

The world got a little less cold in September, as Eddie Kingston followed up his big ROH World Championship win by becoming The Kayfabe Octagon's Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Month. It was the first time he has ever won a month, and he did so in dominant fashion with over 75% of the almost 100 votes cast. The nearest competitor was last month's winner MJF, who only managed 6 votes, with DDT's Chris Brookes and All Japan's Yuma Aoyagi taking a joint 3rd place with three votes each. This is the third month ROH has won the Champ of the Month poll for TKO, but the first time it was the World Champion doing so, as the previous two wins came from Women's Champion Athena. With AEW celebrating it's 4th Anniversary in early October, it's remarkable to think that back when it started Eddie Kingston was seriously considering selling his wrestling boots just to help make a mortgage payment for the month. Now he's traveling the world, meeting his heroes, is New Japan Strong Champion, ROH Champion, finally got closure with long time rival/enemy Claudio Castagnoli, and more importantly than all of that has become The Kayfabe Octagon's Champion of the Month for September, 2023! Eddie Kingston, when contacted for comment, had this important message.

Guess I never noticed that the lyrics to his song are "The world is cold, unless I'm champion of the month"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Guess I never noticed that the lyrics to his song are "The world is cold, unless I'm champion of the month"

Here are the exact lyrics, for those confused:

♪ Ayo, the world is cold, better bundle up
I said the world is cold, better bundle up
Ayo, the world is cold, better bundle up
If you see me staring at you, better knuckle up, come on
Ayo, the world is cold, unless I win Champ of the month
I said the world is cold, unless I win Champ of the month
Ayo, the world is cold, unless I beat Claudio Castagnoli that month
If you see me staring at you, it's my picture in the results for TKO's Champ of the Month! ♪