Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Added Under the Shadow (2016), available on Netflix. Persian-language film about a family living in Tehran during the Iran-Iraq war and they get haunted by something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

first movie of the month down: Suspiria (1977), watching it for the second time. one of the best vibes movies ever, every scene has a different and distinct color palette, gorgeous shot composition and of course the sets are incredible. not to mention one of the greatest scores put to film. the plot is nothing but who cares.

i'd alsol recommend the 2018 suspiria, its not a classic like the original but i liked it a lot and if you're a Swinton-head it's a must watch

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fungah! posted:

under the shadow. liked it well enough, didnt blow my hair back but at least its a modern horror movie that has a freakin monster in it instead of it just bein trauma. main actress did a great job, so did th kid. really glad i dont live in post-revolution iran

the scene where she gets arrested for leaving her house with her hair uncoveres was really harrowing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

symbolic posted:

first movie down in the form of Phantasm. didnt know what to expect going into it but it felt purely like the 70s in the stilted acting, overindulgent special effects, and ethereal and proggy soundtrack, and i really enjoyed it because of that. had no idea if i was supposed to laugh at the parts i laughed at (one of the Jawas running at Mike and the sudden camera cut to him screaming and sprinting past Jody having graveyard sex, the slo-mo shot of the Tall Man strolling down the sidewalk, "Are you sure it wasn't that retarded kid Timmy from down the street?", etc) but they helped balance out the horror shlock. was almost soured by the ending but the last-minute save of the Tall Man turning out to be real and dragging Mike through the window pivoted it. great, campy flick

You’re definitely supposed to laugh at those parts, don coscarelli is big on mixing horror and dumb comedy

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

watched Killer Klowns and i was not expecting it to have such high production values for such a low-rent concept. they really went overboard with the set dressing and it had one extremely sick matte painting. fun movie, got a couple good laughs, and the evil circus soundtrack was pretty good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rewatched Candyman (1992) it owns and its even cooler now that I live in Chicago. super gross and fairly gory film that draws a lot of dread out of racial tensions even before the supernatural stuff starts happening. but when it does start there are buckets of blood. can't believe all the bee stuff that was done in camera, Tony Todd is incredible in this. of course the Glass soundtrack is great. and it has a really strong ending, very cool that they finally let someone just scream like crazy right at the very end

also i forgot about the part with the retarded kid getting his dick cut off and the kid recounting the tale just solemnly saying "worse than death" or something like that lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Wicker Man - The first time I saw this movie I was expecting something a lot more like the movies Christopher Lee was starring in for Hammer. I'm always blown away by just how unique the vibe of this movie is. The music is great. I love how the protagonist is a grumpy rear end in a top hat while all the townsfolk are super friendly even though they refuse to cooperate with his investigation. The ending is wild. I especially like the inversion of morality a lot of horror movies go for. If he had slept with the Innkeeper's daughter when she tried to seduce him he would no longer have been a suitable sacrifice.

Feeling absolute comraderie with Christopher Lee as he calls the detective a dumb virgin

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wawtched The Thing (1982) for maybe the dozenth time, its absolutely a triumph of filmmaking. the talent involved in this film was immense and everyone was firing on all cylnders. love it, two thumbs up, twelve bags of popcorn etc. etc.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

Candyman (My own pick)

Man I love this movie

pinning the kills on helen, the fact that it ends with that repeating
the idea of legends perpetrating themselves, candyman needing to kill to keep up belief in him
the idea of a real person entering legend and becoming immortal, even if the legend isnt factual. we start learning the candyman lore, that he was killed for loving a white woman, and even before helen dies she's already entering legend tied to him and is shown as that woman from a century earlier

the psychiatrist fakeout and then kill actually happening

the scene when she gets processed into jail is so horrific. candyman is such a great villain, operatic and romantic but a total bastard

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

first time watching Videodrome (1983) and it loving owns. this is only the second "classic" cronenberg I've seen after Teh Fly and I want to just jump into watching Existenz or Dead Ringers or smth. loved the special effects, loved the conspiracy thriller mixed with surreal horror plot. just all around fun movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I enjoyed the exscreamvaganza, appreciated people bringing in some less mainstream recommendations. Hope to get to some more films next year, I ended up spending a lot of my free time on doomtober