Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Welcome to the 2023 Late Night TV thread! This is the place to chat about late night shows on the broadcast networks and the Daily Show over on Comedy Central. HBO's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and (urg) Real Time with Bill Maher have their own, separate threads. I don't even know if a fully-exclusive streaming show like The Problem with Jon Stewart counts as "late night" but I guess you can talk about that too here since I don't see another place to discuss it. Many just watch the clips online but here at the Home for the Internet Elderly we still consume media the old-fashioned way: Linearly while typing far, far too many words at each other about it.

We're coming out the other side of an historic 5-month writer's strike, which shut down late night TV (among many other things) from May 2 until tonight, October 2. Suffice to say, the AMPTP thought they would starve them out, but in the end they came to their senses and made a loving deal. As this marks the end to the longest absence of any new late night programming in recent history--the 1987 and 2007-08 strikes, while lasting 150 and 100 days respectively, saw shows returning without writers much sooner than their strike's end--and as such serves a natural break point to get a new thread up and running. It was a good thread, with a joyous OP that celebrated Craig Ferguson, Conan O'Brien, David Letterman, and was precipitated by the turnover of NBC's two weeknight franchises. Since then, a lot has stayed the same but also, some stuff has changed since that thread first went up 9.5 years ago in February 2014 (and here is a handy link to said thread). Let's do a quick rundown of where we were and how we got here.

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
11:34:30/10:34:30c, NBC; streaming on Peacock

Jimmy Fallon was promoted from Late Night, where he had carved out his niche in the field as a fun, lightly-experimental installment of the franchise that had previously been home to groundbreaking comedy from David Letterman and Conan O'Brien, to the big time as the sixth* (seventh if you count Leno twice :rolleye: ) permanent host of Tonight on February 17 2014. The excitement for this new era of Tonight, which marked its first permanent return to New York (and historic Studio 6B) after Johnny flew west in 1972, soon faded, as Fallon quickly supplanted Late Night's weird sketches and occasional filmed parodies with endless celebrity games. A turning point came in September 2016; less than two months before the presidential election, Fallon, in a characteristically-toothless interview with candidate Donald Trump, gave his hair the tussle heard around the world.

In the dark years that followed, his show would steer away from the heavy political bent that others would take and be more (though definitely not completely) politically-neutral, which may partially explain the show's decline in ratings and its endless parade of showrunner teams. While executive producers come and go on any show, this exceptionally-high turnover rate has led to a discordant viewing experience. For example, in 2019, then-showrunner Jim Bell eliminated the opening montage entirely, though that experiment ended after just a couple months (this was part of a larger trend in the industry, with networks pressuring shows to get to the first joke as fast as possible). Currently (or at least, the year or so prior to the 2023 WGA strike) the show's "monologue" is really comprised of micro-bits, designed to be sliced up and posted to social media, interspersed with Fallon's usual trad mono jokes.

Personal take: I've seen every episode of this dumb show and the main reason is because I've seen every episode of this dumb show. I was a fan of his Late Night and was overjoyed at the return to New York. After 2016 and the long wait for the new show to gel became evident in its futility, I should have quit the show but I guess I'm ride or die for this goofy rear end in a top hat. He's crap at improvisation and cannot do his job without segment producers mapping out every move for him, but his sheer enthusiasm and love for what he does carries it just enough to stick around. He's the only one of the four network hosts to have filmed his own "coming back" promo, because of course he couldn't pass up the chance to do so:

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1708753716688396409

And of course, the legendary Roots crew from Philadelphia.

Late Night with Seth Meyers
12:35/11:35c, NBC; streaming on Peacock

Taking over for Fallon the next week, Seth Meyers began the fourth era of the franchise on February 24 2014. Of the four remaining network talkers, his is the most unrecognizable compared to its original form: He came out to deliver a standing monologue, in a suit, with the band on stage left, then hopped onto a swing-out platform containing his desk and chair as the band played him over. He would then deliver either personal anecdotes, or do traditional late night desk bits. Sometimes there were stage sketches performed. By that fall, the set had been entirely re-done, the band was on the right, and within another year he was starting the show seated, and as the 2016 election drew Closer, so did the Looks. Initially increasing in frequency to two a week to keep up with the manic pace of the news, the mania failed to end and in fact increased after the election. A Closer Look had become the defining bit of the show.

When the pandemic hit, Seth lost the suit and, with the exception of the franchise's 40th birthday last year, when thread patron saint David Letterman was the guest, he has dressed casual each night. The tone has become much more casual these past few years, and A Closer Look has blossomed from its humble roots as a poor man's Last Week Tonight to an expert melange of deep callbacks, twisted tangents, impression camp, and of course commentary on the day's events. Along with Fallon's lighter fare, it has become NBC's mini viral hit with the vast online viewership of Youtube et al, many of whom have never seen an actual episode over the air and only know of these shows by what pops up in their feeds. To this end, Seth will return tonight with an oops! All A Closer Look episode to begin catching up on the last five months:

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1708753783398752352

Whether or not there's anything left of the 8G Band remains to be seen, considering they were down to three original members back in May.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
11:35/10:35c, CBS; streaming on Paramount Plus

Speaking of growing pains, the man who took over for Dave, Stephen Colbert. Not unlike Seth, his show's early days were marked by a lot of traditional bits and, as though desiring to get away from the politics-drenched trappings of his CC show, wasn't particularly heavy on politics (though it should be noted that one of Seth's first guests was Joe Biden, and Colbert's first night was blessed by Jeb!). After about six months, new showrunner Chris Licht came in and tweaked the show in ways that initially felt off but have proven to be fruitful. And of course, after the election, it became the show's raison d'etre, with monologues becoming so deeply saturated by one or two headlining news items that they created Meanwhile, a repository for the rest of what would be typical late night mono fodder in a pre-2016 world. Gone are bits like Midnight Confessions and Big Furry Hat and, honestly, good riddance, because I personally was not a great fan of them.

For that matter, the strangest thing is how they have someone like Brian Stack, yet I don't know that I've ever seen him do anything half as funny as his Conan stuff. Most of their cold opens leave me cold. And the bulk of his monologue is that mediocre "[thing in the news]? That's like [something else that would be like that]!" stuff that seems to have infected late night shows these past 7 years. Thankfully Sal Gentile and company have cooled it on that front over at Late Night. Meanwhile, over at the The Late Show writer's room, someone is still laughing heartily every time someone makes a dull analogy.

Still, I find Colbert comforting. Dude loving loves what he does and he's too smart to do so but deep down would probably do it for free. Look at this promo:

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1708753889065836620

The editor has no shortage of footage of him bouncing out and skipping to use. His show def has some of the facade that these shows do (e.g. the warm-up prompts the audience to do those "Stephen! Stephen!" chants before the taping begins), and he can be frustratingly centrist, but goddamn I will never not get a smile from seeing old man Noblet come out to those practiced chants. His house band, Louis Cato and the Late Show Band, is pretty damned swell too. From what I hear, it's worth seeing the show in person for them alone.

Jimmy Jimmel Live!
11:35/10:35c, ABC; streaming on Hulu

Finally, the elder statesmen of late night, Jimmy Kimmel has been plugging away now for 20 years. And for the first 14 years it was a largely apolitical show, liberal but not especially interested in being too loud about it. That all changed in May 2017, when he delivered this monologue about his then-newborn son Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmWWoMcGmo0

From that point forward, the show took no restraints in pointedly burning down the right wing ghouls who have themselves shown no restraint in growing louder and ever more fashy these recent years. While Colbert trips over himself to adhere to decorum, Kimmel drops his pants and looses sloppy wet farts. And I take great joy in it. Now that Late Late is gone, Kimmel's is the show I enjoy most (though Seth is a mighty close second). And he still has plenty of the bawdy humour that his show has become known for, which is nice, as "late night yelly man ROASTS Trump" all night every night does get tiring. Kimmel is the harmonious balance between the extremes of Colbert and Seth's GOOD DAY SIR takedowns and Fallon's (and Corden's, RIP) let's just play games and have fun nonsense. And my mans Guillermo. Can never have too much Guillermo.

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1708754023312998708

Cleto and The Cletones were restored to their rightful position in the opening montage on March 29 2022. Good.

As for The Daily Show, it will return in two weeks on October 16, continuing their search for a permanent host. And after ending their Late Late Show franchise in April, CBS was probably planning to put @midnight on sometime this summer, but, you know. So we got an extended goodbye from James Corden in the form of reruns that ended September 15. CBS currently has moldy reruns of Byron Allen's Comics Unleashed filling the spot until they get @midnight up and running.

And here's all the promos in one comp on Youtube, if you don't care to visit Twitter or, somehow, the site breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-WhZRJwZMk

I'll get the listing up later today, I have to go to sleep I have other things going on!!

*or eighth, if we count Jack Lescoulie and Al "Jazzbo" Collins, from the all-but-erased-from-history version of the show which ran for six months in 1957 between Steve Allen and Jack Paar's tenures, Tonight! America After Dark (January 28 1957-July 26 1957). Since there is such a dearth of detailed info on this forgotten show on the internet, I've reproduced, in its entirety, chapter 6 from Tonight! (Terry Galanoy, 1972). I have done light formatting to correct a few errors in the iPhone's transcription, but I'm not italicizing show names and like that, you'll have to use the power of imagination to see italics.

quote:

"Steve Allen doing anything is a hard act to follow. Steve Allen doing everything is almost impossible," said one reviewer.

"Impossible," echoed NBC sadly.

There are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of people around who saw the Steve Allen Tonight Show. There are tens of millions around who saw the Jack Paar Tonight Show. And every month over 200,000,000 people watch the Johnny Carson Tonight Show. But probably the only people who remember seeing the Tonight Show produced between Steve Allen's time and Jack Paar's era are the people who were on the show and their agents and relatives.

It was called, Tonight! America After Dark.

It went on as a cheap-jack, makeshift replacement for Steve Allen's Tonight Show on the Monday following Allen's Friday night farewell. Tonight! America After Dark was made up of snips and bits and pieces and dog-eared memos and groupthink and spur-of-the-moment inspirations from the programming department, from the news department, from the sales department, from the engineering department, and probably from the elevator starter at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

Despite its success, the Steve Allen Tonight Show had not been the favorite of every NBC executive. The news department still felt that the program should contain some hard news coverage and mini-documentaries on the day's news.

Several of the NBC executive production staff felt that Allen's format was too formless, too squirmy, too hard to handle, too easy a target for the FCC and other pressure groups.

Some of the salesmen and programmers in the Today-Home-Tonight group felt that the Tonight Show should have been an exact copy of the Today Show- in format, in appeal, and in sales. Under Allen, the Tonight Show had been a collection of musical numbers, comedy skits, ad libs, offbeat guests, audience interviews, remote broadcasts, book and music re-views, discussions, and an over-all feeling of laughter, of zaniness, of gaiety and good spirits.

The Today Show was profiled as a more sincere, more somber, straight-talking, eye-to-eye confrontation with the gloomy gray dawn and the day ahead.

Too, one programming executive pointed out that personalities like Steve Allen left NBC impotent when they walked out, died or moved to another network. The audiences were loyal to the personality and not the program and that was a trap that NBC shouldn't allow itself to walk into again.

The programming department writhed about like a headless snake-waiting for the late night hours to die. The head was gone because NBC's house genius, Pat Weaver, was gone.

Just before Steve Allen cut his five-a-week to three-a-week, Weaver and the younger Sarnoff had faced off in a Board of Directors meeting. The directors sided with Robert and Weaver was out, effective right then.

"The day of the Big Think is over!" one of Sarnoff's people jubilantly reported.

"Yes, it is," a Weaver man softly replied.

Three months or so after Weaver's run-in with Sarnoff, Steve Allen closed down his Tonight Show. There was now a huge hole in the programming department and in the late night programming.

Shufling the memos, the suggestions, the meetings, the letters, the conferences, the schedules, the availabilities and the ideas, NBC programming management came up with a new approach to late night television. It was planned to retain the old Steve Allen Tonight Show audience and to add millions to it because of a "broader appeal." Tonight! America After Dark was assembled as a late night variety and special features program which borrowed its attitudes from the Today Show and its style from Wide, Wide World. There were differences: this Tonight Show would concentrate on what America did after dark. Grand, general outlines called for the program to offer mobile-unit on-the-spot coverage that captured the tempo and pacing of night life throughout the country. The program would spotlight new and undiscovered talents; it would cover all facets of the entertainment world: night clubs, jazz clubs, restaurants, theatres, sports events. It would take itself seriously at times and visit a heart disease research clinic, an atomic energy laboratory, a political rally or a tornado-crumpled town. (Within two weeks after it went on the ait, mobile units interrupted the show with on-the-spot coverage of an airplane crash at Riker's Island, New York.) The program would also pack in local news, weather reports, theatre reviews, inventors, star-lets, politicians, sports scores, audience games and a dozen other features originating in New York, in Chicago and in Los Angeles.

To run all of this, they picked the boy-next-dorable announcer named Jack Lescoulie. To back him up, they hired a singer-talker named Judy Johnson (about six weeks after the show started), the musical Lou Stein Trio, and six newspaper columnists in three major cities. These were to be the "feature reporters," who would work from the mobile units.

In New York, they picked Hy Gardner, Bob Considine and Earl Wilson. In Chicago they selected Irv Kupcinet. And in Los Angeles they tagged Vernon Scott and Paul Coates.

Some had television shows of their own, most had heavy television experience. Because even NBC programmers realized that not all feature stories came from those three cities, the format also called for non-staff newsmen in places like New Orleans or Detroit to report in on fast-breaking or wacky news events. A few months after the program began, San Francisco became a regular reporting station and Miami Beach and Topeka had both been heard from.

The early format of the show demonstrated the concept of "something-for-everybody."

11:15-11:20: Jack Lescoulie and Constance Moore welcomed guest, began series of five-minute "teaser" switches to various remote units.
11:20-11:22: Alfred Hayes house, Brentwood, California. A remote pickup of this uniquely designed house, with a real Hollywood party going On.
11:25-11:29: Eli Wallach, in New York studio. An interview with this actor who just dropped in from his nightly appearance in Broadway's Major Barbara.
11:33-11:38: Beauty City, New York City. Switch to this all-night beauty parlor. Earl Wilson walked around with a microphone talking about this shop that handled people who couldn't get their hair done during the day.
He interviewed the owner of Beauty City and actress Dagmar, dancer Gretchen Wyler, a Copa dancer named Gwen O'Hara, and Miss Sweden.
11:38-11:46: Cut back to the studio and interview with Leonard Feather, the jazz editor of Playboy and author of the Encyclopedia Yearbook of Jazz. The other guest in the studio was trombone great J. J. Johnson, who played a number with the Lou Stein Trio.
At this point, Lescoulie said, "Say, wouldn't it be great if we had all twenty-four of Playboy's jazz winners on America After Dark one at a time, then all together!"

At eleven forty-nine they cut away from all that iazz, and went back to the California party to have Jolie Gabor, dancer Ann Miller and Linda Darnell tell us what a grand time they were having.

Fifteen minutes later the switcher cut Eli Wallach back in again and he did a reading from Sacha Guitry's Debureau, which is about a clown telling his son what it means to be an actor.

After four minutes of commercials, the cameras cut to the top of the Merchandise Mart in Chicago. Irv Kupcinet interviewed a man named Hal Connor who ran the Helitaxi port, one of the first helicopter cab services in the country. This was good for three minutes.
Back then to the Hayes house in California for five more minutes of party, then right back to Chicago, but this time, inside the Merchandise Mart at the NBC studios. Here, Kupcinet interviewed ex-world's heavyweight champion Joe Louis about his back tax bill of one million dollars. Louis ended the interview by saying it wasn't his fault he owed the money.

By now it was twelve-thirty and the cameras cut back to the New York studio and an interview with Red Auerbach, coach of the Boston Celtics pro-basketball team, and his star players, veteran Bob Cousy and newly hired Olympics star Bill Russell. This went on for six minutes.

Then two more minutes of J. J. Johnson playing more jazz.

Then six more minutes of Beauty City while the girls came out of the driers.

Then three more minutes of that increasingly drunker party in California.

And finally it was twelve fifty-six and everybody said good night.

Despite the straight men who had the Tonight! America After Dark format buckled down, it shifted almost nightly.

Three weeks after the program went on the air the producers added "The World Tonight", a news segment run by New York columnist Bob Considine.

A month later they gave Hy Gardner a nightly ten-minute strip called "Face to Face" in which he interviewed a personality currently in the news.

A month after that they added "Hy Gardner Time"—another five-minute filler of no great significance. One of the features on this segment was the "Look Alikes" spot. In these minutes, Gardner showed pictures of a well-known personality and an average citizen and asked the audience to guess who was which. Interestingly enough, this device or ones like it (wryly captioned photos, baby pictures, etc.) have been used steadily throughout the Tonight Show from Allen through Carson.

The producers of America After Dark juggled everything but tenpins.

They gave Considine a second news spot for a daily human interest story or editorial on the day's news.

They added a straight man-on-the-street interview.

They fired the Lou Stein Trio in March and replaced it with the Mort Lindsay Quartet. They fired the Mort Lindsay Quartet in June and replaced it with the Johnny Guarnieri Quartet. In July they fired them.

They waited for Jack Lescoulie to become Dave Garroway or Steve Allen or even Kukla, Fran or Ollie and when he didn't they fired him the third week in June and hired another "disc jockey" (this was based on the fact that Allen had been a "disc jockey") named Al "Jazzbo" Collins who worked in a bizarre set called the Purple Grotto. He lasted from the end of June until the end of the show, which wasn't all that much longer.

The native columnists became restless, too. Within a month of going on the air, California columnist Vernon Scott quit and was replaced by Lee Giroux of the Los Angeles NBC outlet. Earl Wilson left the program in July. And that month the producers decided to visit only one city a night on remote pickup instead of three or four.

From the beginning, the great whale of Tonight! America After Dark flopped around, spouted foul air, and beached itself in its own shallows. Some advertisers had left the Tonight Show the moment Allen departed. Some waited around, on a discount basis, to see if the new format would deliver the same old or better audiences for their products. One by one they began cutting back and canceling because they didn't like the program or more importantly because the program was losing audience and slipping badly in the ratings. Before the program was finally canceled, one executive guessed it had easily chased five million dollars worth of advertising back into magazines. (The sudden change in viewership couldn't happen today, according to Dick Pinkham. He believes that the Tonight Show, now, has so much momentum a chimpanzee could run it for six months without losing a viewer.)

By the time "Jazzbo" Collins had taken over for Lescoulie, the program had changed. On July 17, for example, America After Dark started with a singer, went to Gardner's "Face to Face" feature, another musical number, an interview with cat-care people in New York, "Hy Gardner Time," a switch to a square dance in Greenwich Village hosted by Hugh Downs, an interview with women's rights spokespeople, "The World Tonight" news segment, man-in-the-street interviews, "Considine's Corner" and good night.

Through it all, there were no entertainment breakthroughs, no news-making incidents, no scandals or items of gossip worth mentioning, on or off the program. The members of the cast wandered through the show as if it were an NBC white paper on anesthesia. It was a big yawn and it was contagious and what viewers were left throughout the coun try clicked off their sets or turned back to the eighteenth rerun of Charlie Chan-and-the-Copra-Caper.

From the second night out—or thereabouts—NBC executives who had been so enthusiastic about the new show suddenly began to write memos disassociating themselves from the offering. There was a major scramble to abandon any involvement with it. Confident, boisterous programmers who had been saying America After Dark was their idea now had other shows to produce, other cities to be in, other poor fish to fry. Once again it was red alert time in the NBC programming department. Dick Linkoum, the producer, was told to get a new show and get it in that late night slot fast. The smell of panic spread. Up in Bronxville, New York, an out-of-work daytime game show host who had failed at just about everything he had ever tried sniffed one day and picked up the telephone. It was NBC calling.

Dick Linkroum made the call. It was to Jack Paar. Paar and Linkroum decided to meet. They did and talked about the new program. Paar said that although he had been out of work for some time he knew, just knew, he could make it if Linkroum would just please give him a chance. Linkroum, who was trying to clamber out of the America After Dark ruins, said he'd see what he could do. He suggested Paar to NBC programming head Mort Werner and the other programming executives and Werner was enthusiastic. Werner felt that Paar was good, was soft-sell enough to get the audience and the advertisers coming back. They said okay, they would hire Paar as the host of the to-be-revamped Tonight Show. When he was told about his new job, according to one source, Paar shouted, "That Linkoum, he's great, he's a genius, I'll always be eternally grateful to him." Six months later Paar was to totally change his attitude toward Linkroum, who was barred from the studio and eventually fired from the network.

The last showing of Tonight! America After Dark was on July 26, 1957. The regulars were down to "Jazzbo" Collins, singer Judy Johnson, the Guarmieri Quartet and columnists Hy Gardner and Bob Considine from New York and Paul Coates from Los Angeles.

On that last night, Gardner interviewed Dagmar, one of the original stars of Broadway Open House, predecessor of the Tonight Show. Then Metronome magazine's musician of the year, an accordionist named Matt Matthews, played a number. The camera switched to the West Side Manhattan apartment of Edie Adams and Ernie Kovacs to look at gold-leaf pianos, two-dollar cigars and twenty-some rooms where the velvet was cut and the costs were not. Then a cut away to California and the San Fernando swimming pool of program associate director Gordon Wiles, where people splashed, swam, sang songs and said good-by. Ah yes, there was also a magician named Richard Himber who did some magic tricks on the show.

One trick he did not try was to make the show and its cast disappear.

NBC had done that before he was booked.

I got this book about 20 years ago and it is a compact tome of rare info on those mostly-lost first 20 years of the show, from before Johnny took the show to Hollywood and made sure to keep the tapes from NBC's eager wiping boys. Pick it up if you're lucky enough to ever come across a copy.

<3 al!

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I've started listening to Strike Force Five and I'm sad it ended before Conan could be on... and I half wonder if the strike went on longer they would eventually get to CraigyFerg.

Anyway, great job on the OP! Thank you for doing it!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thank you pwn for a great op

I have had this in my paste stuff for awhile now, so

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The good shows were Colbert, Stewart, and Conan :okboomer::corsair:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Ferguson.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

God-tier.

He should've gotten The Late Show and Colbert should've taken over The Tonight Show.

Fallon can take over a dumpster behind a Taco Bell.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Fallon should have a 45 minute late night show once a week where he forces a C list celebrity to play a VR game until they puke or trip over themselves.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The funniest part is that Conan’s clueless gamer segments were exponentially funnier than like 95% of Fallon’s games. Looking forward to the Conan abroad series

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

(and Corden's, RIP)

Nah, gently caress Corden and his dopey rear end. I'm glad he's gone.

LividLiquid posted:

God-tier.

He should've gotten The Late Show and Colbert should've taken over The Tonight Show.

Fallon can take over a dumpster behind a Taco Bell.

While I agree that Fallon is worthless, I don't think that CraigyFerg would have worked at 11:35 p.m. His show became great when Geoff Peterson was added, and then when Josh Robert Thompson began voicing him live, the show became something completely special. By the end, Ferguson's LLS was basically a one-hour live-action Pee Wee's Play House, and after reading his autobiography, American on Purpose, I think he would have really chafed at having to turn his act down instead of being able to just embrace sheer absurdity for so many years.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Timby posted:

Nah, gently caress Corden and his dopey rear end. I'm glad he's gone.

drat it! Now I feel awful. drat you, Timby.

Here we go! First full week of shows in five damned months. Despite the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike, there are a lot of actors on this week, though not promoting shows or films—Matthew McConaughey is pushing his children's book, for instance. Hopefully that strike is resolved soon.

Schedule for the week starting 2023.10.02
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Neil deGrasse Tyson, Louis Cato
Tuesday - John Oliver, boygenius
Wednesday - Anderson Cooper, Japanese Breakfast
Thursday - Bob Odenkirk

Kimmel
Monday - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
Tuesday - Kathy Griffin, Luenell, Glen Hansard
Wednesday - Wanda Sykes, Cassidy Hutchinson, LANY
Thursday - Dax Shepard, Nicole Avant, BoyWithUke

Fallon
Monday - Matthew McConaughey, John Mayer
Tuesday - Taraji P. Henson, Geri Halliwell-Horner, Jelly Roll
Wednesday - Chelsea Handler, Carly Pearce
Thursday - TBA, Maluma
Friday - Killer Mike feat. Robert Glasper and Eryn Allen Kane

Seth
Monday - Special hour-long edition of A CLOSER LOOK
Tuesday - Tracy Morgan, Chris Hayes
Wednesday - Nick Offerman, Siobhan Fallon Hogan, Jungle
Thursday - David Byrne, TBA

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It took me a minute to realize Jon Oliver and boygenius were two separate things.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
However, Anderson Cooper is indeed a popular dish in many Japanese households.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jimmy Fallon, McConaughey and John Mayer in the same room is like a sampler platter of different kinds of douchebags

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

I've started listening to Strike Force Five and I'm sad it ended before Conan could be on... and I half wonder if the strike went on longer they would eventually get to CraigyFerg.

Anyway, great job on the OP! Thank you for doing it!

It honestly might be worth throwing Strike Force Five in there, pwn, just because it's so incredibly relevant to the thread topic, explores all the shows in depth and is generally just a really good peek into all their lives during something this historic (as you mentioned in the OP and they mention in the podcast, even during the pandemic, they were still doing shows, and there was no Worldwide Pants-style production loophole to get people back to work without writers this time around).

I would have LOVED to get some kind of oral history of Craig's Late Late Show. I still miss it and always welcome getting a peek behind the, uh, two-person horse costume.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roy-wood-jr-quits-daily-show-after-losing-out-on-host-gig

roy wood jr quit daily show

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I wonder if the executives will ever realise just how large a mistake they made

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I wonder if the executives will ever realise just how large a mistake they made
You just know their entire line of thinking here was "we gave the show to a black man and viewership dropped, so we're not doing that again."

But I noped out when Trevor started tut-tutting me for being too hard on Trump, I'm sure I'm not alone, and oh right, literally every show's ratings are dropping as viewership gets more fragmented and cable television becomes irrelevant beyond old people and sports.

Roy was the best choice. I'll likely never watch the show again.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ronny Chieng rubbing his hands together like Anthony Adams right now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In case you didn’t listen to Strike Force Five there’s a New Yorker piece that is mostly about how Fallon is a dumbass on the podcast. At one point he texts the other cohosts to tell them he wants to end the podcast and Colbert calls him out. It’s a fun read.

So Long, “Strike Force Five”  https://www.newyorker.com/culture/podcast-dept/so-long-strike-force-five

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AndyElusive posted:

Ronny Chieng rubbing his hands together like Anthony Adams right now.

I was about to correct you and say it's Anthony Anderson but holy poo poo.... It's not.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Ronnie is like the only other person who could make the daily show funny, but.
But if someone doesn't like Roy they'd like Ronnie even less. I mean ffs if the wandering toaster of lactose Minhaj was seriously considered, whoever actually got it could start a creamery

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vegetable posted:

In case you didn’t listen to Strike Force Five there’s a New Yorker piece that is mostly about how Fallon is a dumbass on the podcast. At one point he texts the other cohosts to tell them he wants to end the podcast and Colbert calls him out. It’s a fun read.

So Long, “Strike Force Five”  https://www.newyorker.com/culture/podcast-dept/so-long-strike-force-five

I've been gradually making my way through the podcast when I have nothing better to do, and my 2 biggest takeaways are:

1) None of these guys are as effortlessly funny as Conan.
2) All of them are far more effortlessly funny than Fallon.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i honestly skipped it because of the lack of conan.

Colbert couldve been great but he needs someone to play with, and Conan is probably the only one who wouldve been the guy to fit that bill.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've listened to all the episodes as they came out and they're great. It made me love them all, yes, Fallon included. I'm hoping the final episode is titled "And Conan makes Six" but I'm not holding my breath.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

They already released a post announcing the end of the podcast and apologizing to Conan, who had agreed to do it, for not getting him the potential available dates to do it before the strike ended.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Steve Vader posted:

They already released a post announcing the end of the podcast and apologizing to Conan, who had agreed to do it, for not getting him the potential available dates to do it before the strike ended.

Matt Damon cackling that finally a host understands how he feels

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

:piss:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vegetable posted:

episode 5 is so funny. Fallon wrote his questions while drunk, it’s the only explanation lol

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lol Fallon is such a dweeb

I only listened to the SFF episode with Letterman and it was good, but also enough

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Has Colbert mentioned why he went back to saying Trump's name and doing the impression after, what, 2 years (?) of not doing either?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Has Colbert mentioned why he went back to saying Trump's name and doing the impression after, what, 2 years (?) of not doing either?

He gave up on his personal ban on Trump voice before the strike.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Last week I did NOT post listings. Wow. And I was too distracted and didn't do an snl thread. Is my brain ok? Was it ever?

Anyway for posterity here is last week's listings.

Schedule for the week starting 2023.10.09

Colbert
Monday - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Metric
Tuesday - Kerry Washington, Rep. Maxwell Frost
Wednesday - Sen. John Fetterman, Melissa Villaseńor
Thursday - John Mulaney, Darius Rucker

Kimmel
Monday - Amy Poehler, Bert Kreischer, Wilco
Tuesday - Billie Eilish and Finneas, Whitney Cummings, Grace Potter
Wednesday - Sean Penn, Nicole Byer, Megan Moroney
Thursday - Josh Duhamel, Gerry Turner, Mĺneskin

Fallon
Monday - Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells, Nate Bargatze, Ian Lara
Tuesday - Pete Davidson, Troye Sivan and comedian Josh Johnson
Wednesday - Seth Meyers, Joe La Puma, Alexander Stewart
Thursday - Leslie Odom Jr., Chloe Fineman, Raye
Friday - Kelly Clarkson, Henrik Lundqvist

Seth
Monday - Amy Sedaris, Colin Quinn
Tuesday - Bob Odenkirk, Marcello Hernández, Aparna Nancherla
Wednesday - Reba McEntire, Werner Herzog, Tom Odell
Thursday - Bowen Yang, Jason Blum

And this week, the Daily Show returns, that's cool! Without Roy Wood Jr, that's not cool! Also pretty lovely that Dulce doesn't get to finish her week. No specific guest data but Michael Kosta is guest hosting.

https://twitter.com/thedailyshow/status/1712879614383542680

Elsewhere, Fallon has 2/3 of the remaining Rolling Stones on Wednesday and Friday. Colbert is scoring, kicking off the week with Jada Pinkett Smith, Talking Heads on Wednesday (not performing but drat cool anyway), and ends the week with chat and music from Jon Batiste.

Schedule for the week starting 2023.10.16
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Jada Pinkett Smith, Ricky Velez
Tuesday - Rachel Maddow, Caroline Polachek
Wednesday - Talking Heads, Daniel Caesar
Thursday - Keegan-Michael Key and Elle Key, Jon Batiste

Kimmel
Monday - Christina Aguilera, Al Michaels, Lil Yachty
Tuesday - Simu Liu, Myke Towers
Wednesday - Martin Scorsese, Mike Epps, Musical Guest Chelsea Cutler
Thursday - Snoop Dogg, Ms. Pat, October London

Fallon
Monday - Uma Thurman, Lil Rel Howery, Feist
Tuesday - Paris Hilton, Jared Freid
Wednesday - Ronnie Wood, Issa Rae, David Kushner
Thursday - Bad Bunny, Sam Heughan, Victoria Monét
Friday - Keith Richards, Canelo Álvarez, 2 Chainz and Lil Wayne Present ColleGrove II

Seth
Monday - Kelly Clarkson, Erin Andrews, Ryan Beatty
Tuesday - Josh Gad, Joe Pera, Chef Ayesha Nurdjaja
Wednesday - Nathan Lane, Lauren Schuker Blum and Rebecca Angelo
Thursday - TBA, Christine and the Queens

TDS with Michael Kosta
Monday - TBA
Tuesday - TBA
Wednesday - TBA
Thursday - TBA!!

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 16, 2023

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

so daily show was supposed to do lewis black hosting before the strikes happened, any word if hes being scheduled for later?

he was pretty pissed off he wasnt asked earlier iirc

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I thought he did a guest host already?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

He absolutely shouldn’t get the regular job but I’m very pumped for Desus to get back on my TV screen. Maybe someday he and Mero can figure things out and get back to what they were meant to do

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Colbert will be remote at least for today after testing positive for COVID.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Timby posted:

Colbert will be remote at least for today after testing positive for COVID.

He really should stop kissing Kimmel.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Colbert's canceled tonight, I'm guessing he's too sick to even do it from home

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1714345688815804680

My aunt had it last week and it laid her up for a few days. She was fortunate enough to get good medicine. Tonight is rerun of Fetterman ep from last Wednesday, tomorrow is still scheduled to be new but I would be surprised if the show comes back this week.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Roy Woods Jr. interview. He’s asked about Hasan Minhaj. I think he’s being as diplomatic as he can be, but he eventually relents and calls Minhaj a liar.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/roy-wood-jr-the-daily-show-host-hasan-minhaj-trevor-noah-comedy-1234852383/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

And like we saw so often during the pandemic, the seams of television production are laid bare. Caroline Polachek, who was supposed to perform on tonight's Late Show, actually taped the performance earlier. Since tonight's show got canned they just put it up on Youtube. It could have been edited into the rerun for all I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsIcDivsls