Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sir Lemming posted:

You have to give pwn some grace, they still care about late night TV so they obviously don't know what the kids are into these days

Lol the kids are absolutely not into threads. The only people into threads are those with something to sell or those lacking a soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol the kids are absolutely not into threads. The only people into threads are those with something to sell or those lacking a soul

I mean I wouldn't know what the kids are into either, but it's definitely a thing people have heard of

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Threads had hype for roughly 30 minutes before people spent the next few days laughing at it, realizing they couldn't delete their threads account without nuking their linked IG account, then forgot about it by a week later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lepAylfErvQ

No. 1 Holiday song right now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LividLiquid posted:

Despite the fact that we all already hated Twitter, hate him, and hate everything he's done to it, Twitter has only lost around 5% of users since Musk bought it.

Adam Conover recently did a video on this very thing, and it comes down to how it was so open and so simple to use that many, many public figures and organizations, like weather stations, news media companies, and even utilities and schools would have an official twitter account. It ended up actually being used a lot for things other than arguing with nazis (though that's prominent as well). Journalists in war-torn countries, where the media is strictly controlled by the government were using Twitter to get news out to the world.

He argues that it should be, or there should exist, a publicly owned and operated social network used by both individuals and organizations alike. I still get Twitter notifications about late buses in my area, and updates to the local school board, along with events in my town. It IS incredibly useful, but musk is doing everything he can to ruin it. If he makes it pay-to-use, I think that'll be the nail in the coffin for it, though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

im glad that the late night comedians and writers have finally figured out musk is a joke at least

pwn
May 27, 2004

Colbert's still healing up! Kimmel kicks off with comedians! Seth has Michael Shannon singing REM! And Charlamagne Tha God is doing another week of TDS? Ok!

Schedule for the week starting 2023.12.04
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Reruns

Kimmel
Monday - Ray Romano, Sebastian Maniscalco
Tuesday - Bill Burr, Lily Gladstone, Ray Walker
Wednesday - Mahershala Ali, Greta Lee, Grupo Frontera
Thursday - Adam Levine, Halle Bailey, Atarashii Gakko!

Fallon
Monday - Dua Lipa, Benny Safdie, Brad Paisley
Tuesday - Julia Roberts, Hasan Minhaj, TBA
Wednesday - J Balvin, Matt Bomer, TBA
Thursday - Olivia Rodrigo, Finalists from Squid Game: The Challenge, Ashley McBryde
Friday - TBA

Seth
Monday - Michael Shannon and Jason Narducy, Rachel Bloom
Tuesday - Elizabeth Banks, Jesse David Fox, Stephen Sanchez
Wednesday - Maluma, Tony Shalhoub
Thursday - Colin Jost, Gael García Bernal

TDS with Charlamagne Tha God

pwn
May 27, 2004

Colbert is healed and ready to return tonight! And in true shitlib fashion, he'll spend the night chatting with Liz Cheney, who is a horrible republican but doesn't like trump so she's cool now i guess. Wednesday is a lot better, with Robert Smigel sitting on the couch! Also Greta Gerwig will be there Thursday, she's cool. Kimmel's got Clooney tonight and QotSA on Thursday. Fallon's doing more 12 Days of Christmas Sweaters all week, and tonight Seth goes Day Drinking with Dua Lipa. And Kal Penn does another week at TDS.

Schedule for the week starting 2023.12.11

Colbert
Monday - Liz Cheney, Olivia Rodrigo
Tuesday - Taraji P. Henson, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
Wednesday - Jason Momoa, Robert Smigel
Thursday - Greta Gerwig, Andrew Scott

Kimmel
Monday - George Clooney, Kumail Nanjiani, Lenny Kravitz
Tuesday - Keegan-Michael Key, Charles Melton, Lainey Wilson
Wednesday - Carey Mulligan, Alan Ritchson, Sleater-Kinney
Thursday - Zac Efron, Jason Mantzoukas, Queens of the Stone Age

Fallon
Monday - Mark Wahlberg, Elle Fanning, Carín León
Tuesday - Hugh Grant, Sydney Sweeney, Tate McRae
Wednesday - Timothée Chalamet, David Blaine, Dogstar
Thursday - Billie Eilish, Claire Foy, Rebecca Shaw, Ben Kronengold, Gracie Abrams
Friday - Jessica Chastain, Alanis Morissette, Ken Burns

Seth
Monday - Day Drinking with Dua Lipa, George Stephanopoulos
Tuesday - Kate McKinnon, Carmelo Anthony and The Kid Mero, Leo Reich
Wednesday - Gov. Gavin Newsom, Danielle Brooks, Alexander Stewart
Thursday - Tracee Ellis Ross, Mike Birbiglia

TDS with Kal Penn

pwn
May 27, 2004

I got a fever, and the only prescription is tons of water, grapefruit, and bed rest. But before i pass out again here's your listings! Colbert will finally have jon batiste tuesday, the last rescheduled guest from the shows that got canceled when stephen got covid two months ago. On wednesday theres gonna be another one of those interminable "cartoons" that are ostensibly funny, tonight evie joins for first drafts and there will be another pre-taped performance from olivia rodrigo, and thursday louis cato and the band close out the week and the year. Kimmel's off until January. Fallon's on. Seth's on. Daily show is dark. Goodnight

Schedule for the week starting 2023.12.18

Colbert
Monday - Kenan Thompson, Olivia Rodrigo
Tuesday - Adam Driver, Jon Batiste
Wednesday - Nicki Minaj
Thursday - Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen, Louis Cato and the Late Show Band

Kimmel
Reruns

Fallon
Monday - Mandy Moore, Elvis Duran, Adam Blackstone
Tuesday - Bradley Cooper, Martha Stewart, Rufus and Martha Wainwright
Wednesday - Jon Hamm, Glen Powell, Chloe Flower feat. The Roots
Thursday - Travis Scott, Joe Keery, Mario the Maker Magician
Friday - Emma Stone, Kiefer Sutherland, Jay Jurden

Seth
Monday - Jeremy Allen White, Hannah Waddingham
Tuesday - Sarah Silverman, Greta Lee, Rick Martinez
Wednesday - Adam Driver, Gary Gulman
Thursday - Jack Antonoff, Bleachers

pwn
May 27, 2004

Few notes:

- Fred Armisen was supposed to be back at his job this week. He was absent tonight.
- Last week, every musical guest on Fallon had pre-taped their performance, which, outside of the pandemic episodes, might be a first. NOBODY who attended a taping last week got to see the guest band in person.
- TONIGHT, however, Adam Blackstone was extremely live, seemingly aware of the previous week and having something to prove, went up into the crowd for a significant portion of the performance.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

a letterman christmas tradition returns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shr8aESYZcY

pwn
May 27, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

a letterman christmas tradition returns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shr8aESYZcY

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1738095199979524166

pwn
May 27, 2004

It's that time of year, to put this on and marvel at how you can hear the same song 21 times and it never gets old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V2IrH1owdw

God bless you Don Giller for the amazing upload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBoSz61shOM
You can quick switch to this official vid from the Letterman channel for a pristine copy of the 1986 performance.

https://twitter.com/triumphicdhq/status/1606699723942817792?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw
And some bonus Love, both in and after the cartoon

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 24, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

After a couple weeks off, late night returns tonight!

On Colbert, he has Renee Rapp from the unnecessary new Mean Girls movie (it's all the jokes you loved 20 years ago! Again!), Gayle King and Charles Barkley promoting their new CNN show, getting more mileage out of the Barbra Streisand interview last year with a Colbert Questionert, and talking to the host of After Midnight, Taylor Tomlinson, tonight. At Kimmel, fresh Golden Globe winners Robert Downey Jr and Ayo Edebiri on Wednesday. And on NBC, Tiny Fey hits Fallon on Wednesday and Seth on Thursday.

And this week will be your last chance to catch those hilarious Byron Allen reruns from 2006 and 2013, because next week the panel show where comedians talk about internet stuff premieres.

quote:

CBS today announced its new late-night series, AFTER MIDNIGHT, hosted by Taylor Tomlinson, will premiere on Tuesday, Jan. 16 at 12:37 AM, ET/PT on CBS and streaming on Paramount+*, following a new episode of THE LATE SHOW with STEPHEN COLBERT.

AFTER MIDNIGHT, inspired by Comedy Central’s Emmy Award-winning series “@midnight,” is the smartest show on television about the dumbest things on the internet. With celebrated comedian Taylor Tomlinson at the helm and a panel of guests from the worlds of entertainment, comedy, music and beyond, AFTER MIDNIGHT is a late-night comedy series about what set the internet abuzz that day with a game show feel. Upcoming guests will be announced at a later date.

It starts Tuesday (since next Monday is MLK Jr Day), so I guess there will be one last classic two-punch from the outrageous Byron Allen on CBS next week. I'll provide listings as provided for who is appearing on the show. I'm not a fan of panel shows, so I doubt I'll be watching after the first week but we'll see.

Schedule for the week starting 2024.01.08

Colbert
Monday - Taylor Tomlinson, Barbra Streisand Takes the Colbert Questionert
Tuesday - Gayle King and Charles Barkley, Ebon Moss-Bachrach
Wednesday - America Ferrera, Reneé Rapp
Thursday - Emily Blunt, Colman Domingo

After Midnight with Taylor Tomlinson
Monday - Premieres
Tuesday - Next
Wednesday - Week
Thursday - !

Kimmel
Monday - Kaley Cuoco, Jake Johnson, Annie Bosko
Tuesday - Jodie Foster, Jeffrey Wright, Duff McKagan
Wednesday - Robert Downey Jr., Ayo Edebiri, Fridayy
Thursday - Natalie Portman, Chris Distefano, Turnpike Troubadours

Fallon
Monday - Seth MacFarlane, Mel B, JID
Tuesday - Daniel Kaluuya, Josh Hutcherson, Ariana Madix
Wednesday - Tina Fey, LaKeith Stanfield, Mitchell Tenpenny
Thursday - Matthew McConaughey, Lily Gladstone, Wyclef Jean feat. Pusha T, Lola Brooke and Capella Grey
Friday - Kevin Hart, Dan Levy, Zarna Garg

Seth
Monday - James McAvoy, Rachel Dratch
Tuesday - Dua Lipa, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
Wednesday - Kurt Russell and Wyatt Russell, David Chase
Thursday - Tina Fey, Andrew Scott

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 9, 2024

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The new Mean Girls movie is a musical now. For some reason they try to hide that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

The new Mean Girls movie is a musical now. For some reason they try to hide that.

Yeah. The clip they played on this morning's Today Show was just the same lines as the original with different actors and a lame meta gag tossed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V49kZJ0WJsk

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Steve Vader posted:

Well if there was a successful broadway version of any other unlikely Hollywood comedy like, The Producers or something completely random like that, you'd want to hide that it was successful on Broadway once you make a movie of that show so nobody knows they'll be singing.

It's just marketing 101. :smug:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The big question will be "Will After Midnight use the same 30 second clip of the audience every show, as is tradition?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wait... Seth and Dua have matching tattoos now?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The big question will be "Will After Midnight use the same 30 second clip of the audience every show, as is tradition?"

I hope they include a guy in a pig costume sitting there doing nothing!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I feel like I don't get the joke, but I'm a person who only wears black shoes

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pwn posted:

On Colbert, he has Renee Rapp from the unnecessary new Mean Girls movie (it's all the jokes you loved 20 years ago! Again!)

Steve Vader posted:

pwn posted:

Yeah. The clip they played on this morning's Today Show was just the same lines as the original with different actors and a lame meta gag tossed in.

LividLiquid posted:

Well if there was a successful broadway version of any other unlikely Hollywood comedy like, The Producers or something completely random like that, you'd want to hide that it was successful on Broadway once you make a movie of that show so nobody knows they'll be singing. It's just marketing 101. :smug:

the mean girls musical (the tina fey-written stage production) is dope. what this gently caress is all this :goonsay: poo poo

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I am down with it. I have no idea why they are hiding the musical aspect. That should be a selling point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Steve Vader posted:

I am down with it. I have no idea why they are hiding the musical aspect. That should be a selling point.

It's gonna be really funny when Wicked is coming out and they try to hide the songs from that in the trailers. (also for some reason it's getting the Part 1/Part 2 treatment. Which, OK, the show is 2 acts, but act 1 ends on Defying Gravity, which is the song everyone is there to hear.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the mean girls musical (the tina fey-written stage production) is dope. what this gently caress is all this :goonsay: poo poo
The answer to your question is "obvious sarcasm."

Like, I even acted like I didn't know The Producers exists. Come on, man. I get dragged enough for poo poo I actually did.

pwn
May 27, 2004

The week begins tomorrow, between the holiday and the Emmys being tonight (8/7c on FOX!) this is basically a second Sunday. As there has not been a guest list released yet for the new show, I'll post the listings tomorrow.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I’m excited for After Midnight. PFT on Wednesday’s show!

Part of me thought they’d book idk, tik tok people or some poo poo on this but the lineup of the first week looks like the old days.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yes, After Midnight premieres tonight. Here's the promos I captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loj6QbDRnc0

As Seth is a rerun tonight, there's no reason to not tune in. The premiere will rerun on Friday if you miss it or hate watching things online.

Elsewhere, everyone is back from LA, where they had their annual waltz into the buzzsaw that is Last Week Tonight/TDS. I kinda think voters don't really consider poo poo and just check the same boxes out of inertia each year. Kimmel will have Oliver tonight, and there are other guests on other shows, some of whom won Emmys last night. Time to hit Post.

Schedule for the week starting 2024.01.15

Colbert
Tuesday - Jeff Tweedy, Daniel Caesar, Nicki Minaj takes “The Colbert Questionert”, Special appearance by Taylor Tomlinson
Wednesday - Clive Owen, Juno Temple
Thursday - Common, Steven Wright

After Midnight with Taylor Tomlinson
Tuesday - Whitney Cummings, Aparna Nancherla, Kurt Braunohler
Wednesday - Paul F. Tompkins, Sophie Buddle, Carl Tart
Thursday - Max Greenfield, Ike Barinholtz, Robby Hoffman

Kimmel
Tuesday - John Oliver, Danielle Brooks, Pete Yorn
Wednesday - Rob Lowe, Ike Barinholtz, Kali Uchis
Thursday - Chrissy Teigen and David Chang, Sierra Ferrell

Fallon
Tuesday - Sofía Vergara, Eddie Izzard, Alaqua Cox, Bush
Wednesday - Jodie Foster, Christopher Briney, Alec Benjamin
Thursday - Jacob Elordi, Ariana DeBose, BJ The Chicago Kid ft. Chlöe
Friday - Natasha Lyonne, Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Dusty Slay

Seth
Tuesday - Rerun
Wednesday - Renée Rapp, Ian McShane, Black Pumas
Thursday - Clive Owen, Isla Fisher, Robert Smigel

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Excited for After Midnight!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
im digging after midnight cause i loved the original and i absolutely adore taylor tomlinson, but i dont know that the show can sustain an hour, i think it would work better as 30 minutes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m surprised she couldn’t get bigger guests for her first shows. Or maybe she didn’t want them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

First night impression: If I didn't have the ability to watch all networks, I would never miss Seth for AM. But I'll check it out if I like a guest. Eventually Tomlinson will get better so there's that to look forward to.

It was funny how much they straight up edit out Cummings' answers though. Hope they put that poo poo online (they will not put that poo poo online)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vegetable posted:

I’m surprised she couldn’t get bigger guests for her first shows. Or maybe she didn’t want them.

It feels like inviting these people sends a specific message: don’t worry millennials we’ll still have all your favorite former comedian/current podcast hosts/memoirs from the original

Eventually I imagine they’ll get to some younger comedians but I don’t think they’re gonna try super hard for the zoomer audience. Taylor is great though. it’s impressive how much Hardwick tanked his reputation among his old fanbase that he’s now more well-liked among old people who watch The Wall (the worst game show) than nerds. I’m not gonna say I never liked him (I went to a live @midnight at Comic-Con back in the day) but I’m glad I don’t ever have to think about him again

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I went to his stand up when he was here in Madison, WI and had a blast. He seemed like an extremely nice individual.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

"tanked his reputation" by apparently being a terrible loving person.

A friend and I would go to @midnight tapings once a month and always had a blast admittedly.

I'm a big fan of Tomlinson from seeing her stand-up a few years back, happy she's getting a larger platform.

But man, I am not sure they can consistently wring out a full hour of content every night here. A snappier half hour slot would have been preferable, definitely.

pwn
May 27, 2004

On YT in its entirety if you missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RI5tgjjwTA

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
A little irked that the P+ version is still censored for network TV, although it did make one of Whitney's jokes funnier when they had to bleep the word fentanyl.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DC Murderverse posted:

Eventually I imagine they’ll get to some younger comedians but I don’t think they’re gonna try super hard for the zoomer audience.

Trying to get zoomers to watch your late night, network tv show will never, ever go well.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 18, 2024

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It is shocking to me how not one piece of traditional media is even attempting to court that audience and never really has.

Like, it's too late now. They're all watching racist gamers and TikTok weirdos and poo poo. You blew it.

TV, movies, comic books... the only thing that even attempted it was video games.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I just think it's a bit funny @midnight started immediately when Attack of the Show ended on G4, and here we go again after midnight after another botched attack of the show.

People want to go around the net and see dumb Internet things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

It's not chat but it is late night network tv, SNL has been catering to, and winning, gen z quite effectively. As an Elder Millennial I kinda resent them for it but they got game.