Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I love Taylor, but I can’t get through a segment on After Midnight.

Hopefully it’s just new show awkwardness and they work out the kinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm not sure who saw the original and thought "This should longer, later and have stricter S&P"

It kind of feels like the American Whose Line where Drew Carey wanting to participate more rather than just hosting messed with the rhythm.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 19, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/-NmnffmY4KI?si=5a3xcYCvPZQSM5Lx

https://youtu.be/tY7LvcD-7jk?si=l3RoHgrREQFk8opG

Renee needs to just go on Late Night every few months to update Seth on all the poo poo she’s done and what’s new in queer zoomer culture, they have such inexplicable chemistry.

edit: he’s like at the exact midpoint between fun uncle and relatable therapist and she delights in making him say dumb zoomer poo poo, truly an iconic combination

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 20, 2024

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've actually been a bit surprised about the lack of @midnight censorship. I mean it ain't Comedy Central but they've gotten away with a few jokes I thought for sure wouldn't make it in.

But turning it into a 40 minute show is DIRE. 20 minutes is light, breezy, "throw it on while I dick around at work" energy. 40 minutes is a goddamn slog, even with the best host and comedians you could imagine.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Schedule for the week starting 2024.01.22
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Trevor Noah, Ruby Bridges
Tuesday - André 3000, Jelani Cobb
Wednesday - Austin Butler, Kingsley Ben-Adir
Thursday - Martin Scorsese, Future Islands

After Midnight
Monday - Chad Daniels, Kelsey Cook, Milana Vayntrub
Tuesday - Atsuko Okatsuka, Josh Johnson, Doug Benson
Wednesday - Guy Branum, Lisa Gilroy, Marcella Arguello
Thursday - Natasha Leggero, Moshe Kasher, Jon Daly

Kimmel
Monday - Kate Hudson and Oliver Hudson, Joey Graziadei, Charley Crockett
Tuesday - Jason Momoa, Lisa Ann Walter, Alkaline Trio
Wednesday - Snoop Dogg, Tom Segura, Mammoth WVH
Thursday - Milo Ventimiglia, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, Vacations

Fallon
Monday - Dakota Johnson, Chloë Sevigny, Gaby Moreno and Oscar Isaac
Tuesday - Kevin James, Sarah Sherman, Eladio Carrión
Wednesday - Naomi Watts, Michelle Yeoh, Dustin Ybarra
Thursday - Justin Timberlake, Molly Ringwald, Flo Milli
Friday - Ken Jeong, Dwyane Wade, Pete Lee

Seth
Monday - Common, Tom Hollander
Tuesday - Sarah Paulson, Punkie Johnson, Brad Meltzer
Wednesday - J. Smith-Cameron, Baby Tate
Thursday - TBA, Ronny Chieng

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think a 40 minute After Midnight could work if it was split between the game show and a more traditional panel on a couch chat show, but yeah this format is not great as-is.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've actually been a bit surprised about the lack of @midnight censorship. I mean it ain't Comedy Central but they've gotten away with a few jokes I thought for sure wouldn't make it in.

But turning it into a 40 minute show is DIRE. 20 minutes is light, breezy, "throw it on while I dick around at work" energy. 40 minutes is a goddamn slog, even with the best host and comedians you could imagine.

I think a 45 minute (with commercials) version would be the sweet spot.

I adore Taylor Tomlinson so much so I hope this show works out, but it can definetly use some fine tuning.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really hope they turn the comments off for the youtube clips of Vayntrub's episode.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Milana mentions the "Reddit Incels" commenting lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the mean girls musical (the tina fey-written stage production) is dope. what this gently caress is all this :goonsay: poo poo

Update: I saw The Mean Girls (2024) tonight. It was very cool, and also good. Please disregard my prior thoughts on the matter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jonny Stew is back hosting The Daily Show.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-24/jon-stewart-is-returning-to-comedy-central-s-the-daily-show

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

LOL goddamn how much money did they pay him. Only once a week but at least this gives us SOME stability.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Oh. Oh my. Having seen the apple show, and noting that Jony Boy is to the left of Bernie now like the rest of us, oh heavens oh my, this might not go quietly by.
Make me say my my my

(I wish I was a little bit taller)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I only saw bits of the Apple show but I seriously doubt Stewart’s gone full communism now. That show wasn’t barbed by any stretch of the imagination. Also it wasn’t funny, which seems like a bigger problem.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Awww, I was hoping CBS who rope him into refreshing You Wrote It, You Watch It for the 12:30 slot.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Would someone kindly paste the article for those of us not subbed to Bloomberg? :)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’m still amazed they didn’t give it to Roy Wood Jr

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Comedian Jon Stewart is returning to The Daily Show after a nine-year absence, to lead the satirical news program through the 2024 US presidential election cycle.

Starting Feb. 12, Stewart will host the Comedy Central program every Monday night with a rotating lineup of performers anchoring the rest of the week, the network said in a statement Wednesday. Stewart will also serve as an executive producer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

whydirt posted:

I’m still amazed they didn’t give it to Roy Wood Jr

They pretty clearly wanted Minhaj and then the controversy over him making poo poo up basically forced them to drop that and... they somehow didn't have a backup plan?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I've only watched maybe half the posted clips of After Midnight, and generally agree with the thread and haven't posted because I had nothing to really add. But I just wanted to say the Marcella, Lisa and Guy clips from (I think?) last night were actually really fun. The three of them had great chemistry.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

They pretty clearly wanted Minhaj and then the controversy over him making poo poo up basically forced them to drop that and... they somehow didn't have a backup plan?

What a loving nothing-burger of a controversy too. Headlines and media circus were out in full force. I thought maybe he had done something like Aziz Ansari - evidence of a very sketchy maybe non-consensual sex life.

But nope! He just... embellished stories in his STAND UP COMEDY.

I'm hoping things with Stew-Beef work out, and I would have been happier still with Roy Wood Jr. But still. drat.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

What a loving nothing-burger of a controversy too. Headlines and media circus were out in full force. I thought maybe he had done something like Aziz Ansari - evidence of a very sketchy maybe non-consensual sex life.

But nope! He just... embellished stories in his STAND UP COMEDY.

I'm hoping things with Stew-Beef work out, and I would have been happier still with Roy Wood Jr. But still. drat.
Hey stupid, read the details. He falsely accused his prom date of having a racist family, used her photo in his act and got death threats sent to her. That’s not his only incident of reckless poo poo, and that’s not mentioning the obvious poo poo that “They sent anthrax in my mail for speaking truth to power” is not the same thing as “My wife gives me no respect.” He also cast out staffers who urged him to be more factually accurate in his act.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I've only watched maybe half the posted clips of After Midnight, and generally agree with the thread and haven't posted because I had nothing to really add. But I just wanted to say the Marcella, Lisa and Guy clips from (I think?) last night were actually really fun. The three of them had great chemistry.

I’m looking forward to watching that one because Lisa Gilroy fascinates me because I don’t know how her brain works. She’s amazing.

Also I don’t really know why they renamed the show from @midnight and even less so why they still kept the @ in the logo, so I’ve decided I’ll simply refer to it as Atfer Midnight as a compromise.

pwn
May 27, 2004

@midnight is not fun to search for, or put in file names, so I approve of the name change.

Edit: also confusion with the old show. And that it's not @ midnight, it's @ 12:37:30. That is to say, it's... after midnight

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 26, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vegetable posted:

Hey stupid, read the details. He falsely accused his prom date of having a racist family, used her photo in his act and got death threats sent to her. That’s not his only incident of reckless poo poo, and that’s not mentioning the obvious poo poo that “They sent anthrax in my mail for speaking truth to power” is not the same thing as “My wife gives me no respect.” He also cast out staffers who urged him to be more factually accurate in his act.

Ironically, most of these accusations seem to have been themselves exaggerated

https://youtu.be/ABiHlt69M-4?si=5MQoV0-fpvctzOKE

pwn
May 27, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Ironically, most of these accusations seem to have been themselves exaggerated

https://youtu.be/ABiHlt69M-4?si=5MQoV0-fpvctzOKE

Huh.

When that whole thing went down and eventually he was officially out of the running for TDS, I had the thought, "oh poo poo, what if the story was a plant? Like maybe CC didn't like how much Hasan was asking to take the job and they wanted a way out of it without looking bad. These Manhattan liberals all run in the same circles, it wouldn't be hard to ask your buddy who's an editor at the New Yorker to have an underling have another underling go digging, at the least you can take away some leverage and at best you'll be able to wash your hands of him altogether and keep looking for someone more desperate." Then I realised this is the same poo poo that fans of someone always say when that someone gets caught, lord knows, and I (rightly) shelved the notion. Even if the theory was true, the story is still the story, however it was borne.

But the story wasn't the story. The New Yorker ignored what didn't fit, including stacks of receipts, and made it sound like Minhaj was a serial liar. Now I've no idea what the editorship of the New Yorker is like, beyond the bits I've seen of David Remnick on Seth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKXpYHi34-w

So as much as it may be an insidious smear job blah blah blah, it could just as well be a much simpler explanation: Chasing clicks and some of that street cred. Sucks but what are you gonna do. That CC probably had to back up a dump truck filled with money to get Stewpot back once a week also undermines the conspiracy theory. Of course it's very possible that paying Stewart for a year pales to how much more Minhaj would have cost than Kal Penn :pwn:

But the main takeaway is that Hasan isn't a psycho. And we lost out on a great Daily Show host because of this dumb poo poo

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 27, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Of course, it’s the dipshit thread starter who’s defending the lovely behavior of late night hosts again. And of course the exculpatory evidence is… the host himself, talking at a camera.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also Minhaj already had his own Daily Show-esque thing on Netflix. And it was fine but also nothing special.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

pwn posted:

These Manhattan liberals

:dafuq:

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Of course, it’s the dipshit thread starter who’s defending the lovely behavior of late night hosts again. And of course the exculpatory evidence is… the host himself, talking at a camera.

Yeah, this is like the second time in as many months that pwn has tried to corkboard-and-string away gross behavior if it conflicts with their watching of television, and it stinks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"manhattan liberals" lmao

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The dastardly cabals of New York. Your man must be from Boston

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Haven't seen Doug Stanhope in a while, hadn't realized he's started cosplaying Val Kilmer.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

pwn
May 27, 2004

Squishy shitlibs who are right-of-center. It's an attack from the left, not the right.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Yeah, this is like the second time in as many months that pwn has tried to corkboard-and-string away gross behavior if it conflicts with their watching of television, and it stinks.

Ignoring your ignoring of everything in the video, what's the supposed other time?

This has nothing to do with anti-semiticism. Jesus christ.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

Ignoring your ignoring of everything in the video, what's the supposed other time?

Your full-throated support and adoration of noted piece of poo poo James Corden comes to mind.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I just want to know what comedians are going to be on After Midnight next week thanks in advance

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I don’t even particularly like Hasan Minaj and didn’t want him to host TDS but that New Yorker article was clearly some bullshit and the emails he presents in the video he posted make it pretty clear that someone had an idea for a story and ignored a bunch of facts while writing it that didn’t fit that story. He got a raw deal. I don’t think it was some big conspiracy or anything, just a bad piece of journalism.

Like the fact alone that he *didn’t* lie about the prom invite racism and has receipts should be enough to put the rest of what was written there in question.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I just want to know what comedians are going to be on After Midnight next week thanks in advance

Assuming a genuine request…

AFTER MIDNIGHT, CBS

Mo 1/22: Chad Daniels, Kelsey Cook, Milana Vayntrub
Tu 1/23: Atsuko Okatsuka, Josh Johnson, Doug Benson
We 1/24: Guy Branum, Lisa Gilroy, Marcella Arguello
Th 1/25: Natasha Leggero, Moshe Kasher, Jon Daly
Fr 1/26: Paul F. Tompkins, Carl Tart, Sophie Buddle (R 1/17/24)

Mo 1/29: Jerry O'Connell, Arden Myrin, Mary Lynn Rajskub
Tu 1/30: Suzi Barrett, Matt Walsh, Vanessa Gonzalez
We 1/31: Sasheer Zamata, Joyelle Nicole Johnson, John Hodgman
Th 2/1: Thomas Lennon
Fr 2/2: Atsuko Okatsuka, Josh Johnson, Doug Benson (R 1/23/24)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So is a show called The Daily Show going down to once a week? Do I have that right?

Or will there be another host the other four nights of the week?