Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

LividLiquid posted:

So is a show called The Daily Show going down to once a week? Do I have that right?

Or will there be another host the other four nights of the week?

Stewbeef on Mondays, correspondents on Tuesdays through Thursdays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9_MloJmXpE

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Pictionary host Jerry O!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

Your full-throated support and adoration of noted piece of poo poo James Corden comes to mind.

That’s just a matter of bad taste; I was referring to the Jimmy Fallon abusive workplace story and pwn going into gross defensive “don’t believe them” mode a few months back.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mo 1/29: Jerry O'Connell, Arden Myrin, Mary Lynn Rajskub
Tu 1/30: Suzi Barrett, Matt Walsh, Vanessa Gonzalez
We 1/31: Sasheer Zamata, Joyelle Nicole Johnson, John Hodgman
Th 2/1: Thomas Lennon
Fr 2/2: Atsuko Okatsuka, Josh Johnson, Doug Benson (R 1/23/24)

I see they're stalking the deck for Thomas Lennon to win this time.

Vvvv I know, Lennon was a producer on the show and the running joke for the first 18 or so months of regular appearences was that he never won his own show.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 29, 2024

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Tom Lennon was the original host of @midnight in the test phase, before they realized that Hardwick was a better fit. I went to a ton of tapings back in the day (free comedian shows, often with drink promos!) and there were countless jokes where when someone dropped last minute they'd call Lennon to come in. Him and Posehn, I think, were basically on speed dial.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Hardwick's ability to just bulldoze through the show's pacing was sort of the glue of the original show. You don't need to make a point of throwing points; it quickly became just saying "points!" (which the Workaholics guys use now on their podcast), and that fit with the slapdash nature of the show.

I legit didn't realize it was an entire hour. I'm watching it on Paramount+ because I've killed live TV, but that explains why it's so loving interminable when the comedians aren't game or can't hang with the spirit of the show - which is basically making GBS threads on it and all the precepts. If you're not quick enough to riff in real-time (I know there was some pre-scripting on the show for those that needed it), just burn it all down. The most hilarious @Midnights were the ones where multiple comedians just knew it was all a farce and decided to enjoy themselves.

I adore Taylor, and I want this to be A Thing for her, but god drat is it lurching from moment to moment right now. Later episodes are feeling tighter, I guess, and I fuckin' LOVE that they've stuck with the complete lack of score continuity -- I think the implication originally was that they had to cut the answers for censorship reasons, but now I just think it's because of time?

It's bad, but I'm still going to watch after like 20 episodes queue up and I want to put it on while I'm working or something. I think a lot of favors are being pulled to get some guests and they don't need that, but I know ratings are almost a thing (CBS doesn't give a poo poo about the 12:30 hour ratings, just if they can sell ads on it). It sucks and is bad, but I sorta want it to be good?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I'm not going to analyze it at all but I've watched several episodes and they were funny. I like a late night show it's fun to watch more than just clips from it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish the entire episodes were up on youtube. I've only seen the first one.

C'mon, CBS, get that youtube ad revenue.

Goons, I highly recommend youtube revanced so that you can get most of the features of YouTube premium without buying youtube premium.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm not sure if the show is getting better or I'm just subconsciously lowering my standards, but I'm starting to enjoy After Midnight when I need a break and a 5-8 minute clip of something funny.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

It seems like they're getting more comfortable letting the guests get weird. And the stuff they have been doing in front of the podiums has been cracking me up.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wish the entire episodes were up on youtube. I've only seen the first one.

C'mon, CBS, get that youtube ad revenue.

Goons, I highly recommend youtube revanced so that you can get most of the features of YouTube premium without buying youtube premium.

Not as a singular video, but they do put together an in-order playlist of each episode - https://www.youtube.com/@AfterMidnightCBS/playlists - that seems to be essentially the complete episode

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I assume they won’t put up both full episodes and clips because it would make them both appear to have less views. Clips for a show like this make so much more sense so that wins out.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I assume the main reason for the show existing at all is to make viral clips for social media

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

After Midnight is still better than the repeats of Comics Unleashed, even though we are three weeks in and some of the recurring gags aren't landing. (Earpiece to James, "no points, but satisfaction", slight improv skit as a prize or in elimination)

I do think Taylor is really good when she's going off script, or when a joke really lands that she's naturally having a good time.

I think it's still finding its footing, but I'm loving the slow growth of the "talk show portion of the show"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

I assume they won’t put up both full episodes and clips because it would make them both appear to have less views. Clips for a show like this make so much more sense so that wins out.

My understanding is that the algorithm hides "repeat" content so you are basically forced to choose one or the other.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Possibly relevant to this thread's interests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiwvEtimLzQ

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's a morning show puff-piece, but here's an 8-minute interview with Jon Stewart and coming back to teevee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHLLxc2nuNM

tl;dw: he basically says that he wants to yell about the US elections, and feels he is good at it

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I guess this the Daily Show thread?

I have massive reservations about Stewart coming back, I feel like he left on top and his finale was kinda perfect.

Comedy Central execs not willing to find a permanent host is incredibly telling.

Edit: It's been a solid ep so far his uninterrupted 20 minute mission statement/monologue really reminded me why I watched this show in the first place.

Even his world weariness is used effectively at least this episode.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 13, 2024

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Jon is still the best host of The Daily Show, but I do think The Problem would have been better with Trevor Noah.

I think the big problem is simply the target demo of college students aren't watching Comedy Central anymore. They aren't watching six hours of South Park and whatever mid 2010s comedy movie is on anymore.

And that's just late night talk show in general, I think the only reason Oliver does well is "the main story" being on YouTube.

I hope they can move the ship and keep this going, but it's going to be tough, even though Stewart is the perfect person for the job.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It really wouldn't surprise me if they aren't going for that demo anymore. And more of those people in HS/College that just aged with him and now might be more consistently voting.

Cause like who is Comedy Central's demo these days??

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
There’s a Comedy Central?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cross-posting it here from the GBS thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpBPm0b9deQ

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jiro posted:

It really wouldn't surprise me if they aren't going for that demo anymore. And more of those people in HS/College that just aged with him and now might be more consistently voting.

Cause like who is Comedy Central's demo these days??

Yeah I watched him religiously when I was in college. I'm 40 now. I have a feeling they're trying to get people like me back. And for at least one night, it worked. I watched. We'll see how it goes moving forward.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That sort of encapsulates it. Jon Stewart, the guy who got most famous for yelling at Bush the Second, and for good reasons, is absolute nostalgia fuel for people our age. (Let's face it every goon posting here is 40-ish by now) I like his angry, ranty delivery and he's funny to me, but he's the comedy equivalent of a NES cartridge brought to life. People who grew up with that stuff have extremely positive memories of the NES cartridge, and people who got drunk or high to laugh at Jon Stewart 20 years ago have good memories of that experience.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Rappaport posted:

That sort of encapsulates it. Jon Stewart, the guy who got most famous for yelling at Bush the Second, and for good reasons, is absolute nostalgia fuel for people our age. (Let's face it every goon posting here is 40-ish by now) I like his angry, ranty delivery and he's funny to me, but he's the comedy equivalent of a NES cartridge brought to life. People who grew up with that stuff have extremely positive memories of the NES cartridge, and people who got drunk or high to laugh at Jon Stewart 20 years ago have good memories of that experience.

Not trying to dismiss this post at all but as someone who's in there late 20s and who only has seen a few clips of Jon stewarts daily show I really enjoyed this episode! Very funny and finally feels like someone in the media is at least trying/starting to tell it like it is, which is insanely refreshing.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Confusedslight posted:

Not trying to dismiss this post at all but as someone who's in there late 20s and who only has seen a few clips of Jon stewarts daily show I really enjoyed this episode! Very funny and finally feels like someone in the media is at least trying/starting to tell it like it is, which is insanely refreshing.

Wait real quick, I need to show you Phil Collins "in the air tonight"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I think I sorta figured out After Midnight at this point.

(Not in a "it's a panel show" or in a "it's a fake fake show"

The game style and selection that it sort of plays the note the same every episode.

ACT ONE: (100 pts)
*Group Chat (trending videos)
*Hashtag Wars

ACT TWO: (200 pts)
*Talk Show Segment
*"A Game Based On A Meme" (like the ones on Twitter from years ago or the also outdated TikTok style)
*"Actual Game Show Feeling Thing" (Name the Celebrity, This or That, something that feels like a thing from Dr GameShow)

ACT THREE: (300 pts)
*Experimental Game - this is just like the "elimination game" - sometimes it's a parody of a game show, other times it's a "quick caption" other times it's an attempt at a fake quiz. This most likely will always be new, because it's meant to set-up and fail. If it's not in this act for 300 points, it's in the penultimate act.
*Jackbox Style Game (It's the improv game, but also it's a "funny caption", slide show, talk over this, draw something, guess who did this)
*"One to All" (a YouTube video, TikTok, Wikipedia, etc, each get one try, fourth and final is on the buzzer)

ACT FOUR: (??? points)
*The Game Where They are All Away From Podium
(Either work as a team to cooperate, or individual, but typically not for points for a gag like "affirmations" or a punishment like "standing next to this

ACT FIVE: (??? points)
*Elimination Game (this varies, but so far "whisper the wager" being a recurring gag, see "experimental game in act 3 as well)
*Elimination Humiliation (Do this in the style of...)
*FTW

ACT SIX:
*FTW Result,
Conclusion.

so what does this mean?
I'm really bored, and I hate fun.

But also, the reason it feels "off" is simply put the flow of the show.

@midnight, even though it was half an hour, always felt like something was happening. There were two "speed rounds" (one was hashtag, the other was the elimination game) the breaks each had a "caption this" for bonus points, and the games were typically one per act, not two or three.

It has nothing to do with the hosting ability of Taylor Tomlinson or Chris Hardwick

It's simply put, the way the show was paced.

I think the show is still trying to figure out itself. But I remember how painful @midnight was during the 2016 election cycle. And all I could think of this cycle is getting podcast comedians or stand ups to try and do improv comedy (when they are not improv comedians) to try and do a mock debate where one is Shrek, one is Lex Luthor and one is Garfield and one of them never saw Shrek, so they just sort of have to plow through a 5 minute segment saying "I'm green and uhh... I'm a cartoon" and then go through the same callbacks from earlier rounds.

And that's when you start feeling like Kliph Nesteroff, and once you know most of the stuff is written for the people, and the comedy crutches people use (call backs, going blue, etc) it just feels stale REALLY quickly, even if it's a better alternative to another late night talk show.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I've only seen the youtube clips but, the show works on the strength of the guests riffing game. Like how good a stand up is at instantly putting down a heckler [e. to thunderous laughter] is a good measurement. And when they heckle eachother, it comes alive. Aaand why Ta-To is the perfect host to lead it.

If they could get a smaller group (you know who I mean) as permanent alternating guests it would work perfectly.
Or as good as it could ever work on CBS with censorship, advertising, and guests who have a filter before repeating the hosed up things the devil puts in their brain

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 15, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wasn’t a fan of the original show so when I realized that’s what this was instead of a talk show I kind of wrote it off. But I like Taylor Tomlinson so I have seen a few episodes or at least parts of them. And as best as I can tell the best thing going for the show is that there always seems to be one actor who doesn’t really get the show or at least pretends not to as their full bit. Which apparently amuses me more than when the format is working.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The playlists they put together for each episode have become one of my background noise options now. They're okay. More than I can say for any of the other late night options from the last several years. It depends a lot on the guests. I like Reggie Watts and his non-answers he did. But that joke is really only gonna work once and someone else is eventually going to try it and its going to suck.

I guess I'm saying what I've always said; bring back Craig Ferguson.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This talk about After Midnight got me thinking about British panel shows. While I don't like that the American version of Would I Lie to You? only lasted one season, I also didn't watch it, but intended on checking it out.

Sort of off topic, but does anyone remember when they rebooted To Tell the Truth with John Ohurley? Man, I loved that show.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This talk about After Midnight got me thinking about British panel shows. While I don't like that the American version of Would I Lie to You? only lasted one season, I also didn't watch it, but intended on checking it out.

Sort of off topic, but does anyone remember when they rebooted To Tell the Truth with John Ohurley? Man, I loved that show.

There was another reboot of To Tell the Truth just recently, with Anthony Anderson as host. The few episodes I saw were fine, though I'm not a huge fan of Anderson shoehorning his mom into everything he does.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

There was another reboot of To Tell the Truth just recently, with Anthony Anderson as host. The few episodes I saw were fine, though I'm not a huge fan of Anderson shoehorning his mom into everything he does.

I never really enjoyed any of his stuff, he'd just get on my nerves for whatever reason, but then I saw him as Antoine Mitchell in The Shield, and that man has earned my attention for life.

I'm still not watching Kangaroo Jack, though.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1758936934716465491

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Kimmel didn't even need the real one as his Santos impersonator is excellent. MyPillow guy owns too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress. How is reality funnier and more ironic than written jokes about this guy?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
On the third day of the trial, Santos' lawyer will casually drop a comment suggesting he invented the game of tennis. This will lead some journalists down a rabbit hole that ends with them learning he isn't a lawyer at all, never passed the bar, and made up all this credentials. The case will be thrown out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I watched Taylor Tomlinson’s new special (great, deeply relatable to me specifically) and halfway through her bit about Hugh Jackman I realized that I was literally at that performance of The Music Man she describes where she buys Hugh Jackman’s glove. I know because I remember her being on tour when I was there and also she mentions Jake from State Farm who was at the Nets game I went to the night before.

I’ve been at some special tapings before but I’ve never been at the advent of a whole joke

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ve been at some special tapings before but I’ve never been at the advent of a whole joke

Pretty sure you were at your own birth

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Okay Ronny Cheng's interview with Awkwafina was such a beautiful trainwreck, from him having her intro him using his own words to the fact that I don't think he asked her a single question about her part in the movie she was there to plug. His shtick sorta ran its course by the end of his run of episodes this week, but he has (and all the correspondents have during this second run of them finishing out the rest of the week's episodes) done a great job.

It's not surprising that the best candidates have largely been current/former correspondents, since this is their whole thing, but if Stewart's plan was basically to draw attention back to them during this election year stint instead of more famous names (I know, probably just wishful thinking given that he was probably instantly offered a boatload of cash by Comedy Central once The Problem was killed by Apple), it was a smart one. It's just a shame it couldn't have happened while Roy Wood, Jr. was still on the show because he really did deserve the permanent gig behind the desk - more than Hasan, and I actually really liked Patriot Act and the Muslim-American perspective he brought to some of the topics there could have been cool in this basic cable context.