Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stan488
Mar 18, 2005

Back to degree chat for a little bit. At least on the non-flying side aviation feels like one of the last industries you can have a great career trajectory without a degree, or even any formal schooling if you get your A&P through work experience.

Two of the airlines I have worked for had CEOs that started their careers as mechanics and eventually worked their way to the top.

In my case, after getting my A&P and first set of MAC tools for effectively free courtesy of the city of Memphis 13 and a half years ago I've had a great career so far. I've gone from a mechanic at a heavy maintenance facility, to a lead at a hangar, to a mechanic at an airline, to a maintenance supervisor at an airline, to a structures engineer at an airline and finally a major repair embodiment engineer for a multinational aviation consortium.

Many of the airlines currently have apprenticeship programs and partner with A&P schools as there just aren't enough licensed mechanics in the US right now. Its not uncommon to be able to go straight from school to a Major airline and very common to be able to go straight to a budget airline out of school. When I got out of school it was almost impossible to even get hired at a regional airline without 3-5 years of experience. And starting pay is almost triple what it was when I got out of school.

A few months back UAL was offering a $75,000 signing bonus and would start you a few rungs up the pay scale to try and hire people in San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU