Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Periodic reminder to keep it civil and if you feel yourself getting heated - understandable considering the subject - put the phone down and go take a breath outside. The poster you were about to call an rear end in a top hat will still be there in ten minutes.

Nobody in this thread has any control over the ongoing events.

Nobody in this thread is trolling or arguing in bad faith, and if they are, they’re getting bounced as soon as a mod or IK becomes aware.

As usual, post about current events, not current posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

CNN reporting that US intelligence officials claim Iran was surprised to learn of Hamas's attack.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/11/politics/us-intelligence-iran-hamas-doubt/index.html

It’s not impossible that part of the Iranian government helped, but it’s also not impossible that they didn’t.

I’m leaning towards they didn’t, because they’re such a popular bogeyman, but I’d put it as “unconfirmed” until we get anything solid either way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Move on from the dead babies unless a major news source confirms or disproves it, thank you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Y’all. You can do better than this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Arione posted:

You do understand the difference between race and religion right? Not all Arabs are muslims and not all muslims are arabs.

Hey don’t even start with this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Remind me what’s the difference between a war crime and a crime against humanity?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Targeting civilians predate strategic bombing. Heck, even if the action wasn’t aimed at them, an army on the march would loot everything on its path - “foraging” was how they fed themselves, there wasn’t much of a logistics train.

If you want an example from classics, look at Carthage or the Gallic wars. Hell, the Trojans didn’t have a great time.

The mongol invasions weren’t especially pleasant either from what I heard.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The line between civilians and military personnel also blurs in some historical period; uniforms only became a thing in what, the 1700’s?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

IK mode engaged:

Cugel the Clever posted:

But this all veers wildly from the topic at hand, which is that Israel is committing atrocities in Gaza and appears on the verge of taking things up a few notches.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Just a reminder that this thread - and indeed the rest of GIP - isn’t reserved only to regular GIP.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How are they getting SRBM into Gaza? I thought Israël had the place tightly locked down.

I’m not doubting it, just curious about the mechanics of it from a professional viewpoint.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Christ, I can't remember the last time I had to carpet bomb a page like that. Don't PM me, I don't care, they're all sixers. (Edit: Actually one of y'all's queued for more)

Don't say racist poo poo, if you're going to make comments about commonly held beliefs in a community without some solid sources I'm going to assume you're saying racist poo poo.

If another poster said something you disagree with, either refute it like a grown up, or if it's offensive, IDK report it or reach out to a mod / IK.

Thank you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

In this forum people are knowledgeable about the LOAC, right?

International law is more of a set of guidelines, there’s no enforcement mechanism.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Victim / deaths / deceased / dead persons is one of those things that are going to be touchy to translate in any language pairs, so there’s going to be some editorial decisions to be made.

Source doesn’t seem reputable and this debate is getting silly. Move on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That Reuters piece is going to be seen by way more people than that ad.

But yeah maybe they hosed up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Careful y’all.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to offer sperm banking to those entering IDF?

It’s ethically and logistically simpler.

But then you don’t get the cum QRF.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I can’t get over the Jizz SWAT team, sorry.

Like, you’re in a war for your survival, but that is what you’re worried about?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great. If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate.

That’s Catholicism though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

esperantinc posted:

I had forgotten about that thing and looked it up. Talk about a swing and a miss:

Man Lego, when are you releasing this as a set instead of another loving Star Wars thing?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Also, if you see someone arguing in bad faith or trolling, report them and move on, there’s no need to engage.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ok so how it works:

Company X, in this case a company registered in the Isle of Man, buys a ship. They register it somewhere, in this case the Bahamas. Not my first choice, but heh, perfectly fine flag state.

Company X doesn’t want to deal with the business of actually running the ship, so they bareboat charters it to Company Y, also an Isle of Man company with the same mailing address as company X. This makes company Y the disponent or beneficial owner. Company X is basically just a shield / liability cut out, so you can forget it exists.

Company Y then hires company Z to do the technical management of the ship - hiring a crew, doing repairs, etc. This is the company the poor saps onboard work for. In this case, Z is based in Greece, but this doesn’t mean that’s where the crew is from. (They might also work exclusively for Y and it’s parents company but that doesn’t make a difference really).

Now the PCTC market is mostly a liner trade, this means the customers want long term, scheduled regular routes. So you’ve got some big names in those spaces and they have most of the business, and in order to get in there, Y charters the boat to one of them, in this case company W out of Japan. W pays them for use of the boat by the day, pays for the fuel, and goes on to sell space onboard to whoever needs to move cars and poo poo between Turkey and India. That’s the commercial arrangement.

Insurance wise, there’s three types of insurance at play: cargo coverage (if anything happens to the cargo underway) is usually the shipper’s problem, or the liner operator. Anyway it’s either W or their customers. Hull and Machinery - damage to the boat - is the disponent owner’s problem, so Y pays for that. P&I or protection and indemnity is basically liability coverage, both Y and W would have a policy, but most of it is going to be on Y. Kidnap and ransom and other piracy coverage falls on Y, they would have gotten it because that area is on the Joint War List. They might have reinvoiced W for It, dépends on the charter.

Long story short? The owners of the ship is covered, the cargo owners are SOL and no one cares about the crew.

Y and X (and maybe Z) may have Israeli shareholders, but lol, lmao, the time charter clock is still running so they’re not losing a dime in this mess. Maybe their insurance deductible. I’m sure their thoughts and prayers go out to the crew’s fam ahahahaa sorry I can’t.

Al-Saqr posted:

houthis announce that many of the crew aboard the ship they captured were Israelis using dual passports, which is a common practice for israelis because theyre all colonialists.

That’s a really surprising claim, and I’m very doubtful about it. Boat’s FOC’d to hell and back, it’d be very weird to have people from a developed country onboard.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Reuters via Gcaptain - https://gcaptain.com/israel-reports-houthi-forces-seized-two-cargo-ships-in-the-red-sea/

quote:

Japan’s Nikkei newspaper reported there were 22 crew on board including Bulgarians and Filipinos but no Japanese nationals.

quote:

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said a ship – which it did not name – had been seized. There were no Israelis aboard and Israel was not involved in its ownership or operation, his office said.

That’s a half truth, because I’m pretty sure some of the beneficial ownership is in Israel, but heh, legally speaking he may not be wrong.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Is it fair to say, then, that one of the drawbacks of using a flag of convenience is that you're basically on your own if someone decides to hijack your ship (in the sense that most countries with this scheme barely have coast guards, let alone navies)?

Yes, theoretically, but it doesn’t happen very often and you have insurance anyway so… the calculus still works out in favour of the FOC.

The Maersk Alabama was an outlier, and there’s still a part of me that thinks it was where it was on its own on purpose to motivate / justify US intervention in the Somalian piracy situation. Because while I understand the political silliness of the USAID food program… it’s an impressive gently caress up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nobody’s making $100k a day on an FOC, these days capesizes are going for $23k/pd and everything else is going 13-18k/pd depending on region.

Tankers may or may not be going for more at any given time, but the wet market is a weird loving thing.

(Yeah the margins are tiny, hence why there’s questionable decision making at times)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Notahippie posted:

The whole story of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia is interesting from a political standpoint, because nobody involved really cared al that much about piracy except the shipping businesses.

We didn’t care all that much, for what it’s worth. We have insurance.

Also a fact I forgot to mention, that I think adds quite a bit of context and flavour to my previous effort post - the ship has Company W’s logo painted on the side.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lol she’s in ballast, there’s no cargo onboard. The schedule’s already knackered so the charterer is going to be very low on fucks to give already.

The owner’s going to be annoyed because they can’t just cash out the H&M but they probably have loss of hire coverage so…

Oh yeah, the crew’s hosed. Someone should do something about the crew.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

Yeah this seems like a nothing burger unless you're a member of the crew (or their family most likley back in the Philippines, India, Ukraine, etc depending on their pay getting sent home - which is probably stopped)

Pay doesn’t stop while being held in a hijacking, unless the ship manager goes under for whatever reason.

quote:

If you want a depressing read on how hosed these guys could be, look up the poor Syrian guy who got stuck alone on the MV Aman for 4 years when the ship owner abandoned him in Egypt

Completely different situation, the guy’s employer had gone bankrupt and the Egyptian government wouldn’t let him leave.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

Yeah but I figure your ability to send it home is interrupted, although I guess that depends on the specific setup the crew and/or company is using.

You’d normally have it set up as direct deposits, the company payroll folks should be in contact with the family if there’s any issue.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

This war is extremely phallo-centered.

Like… more than usual.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

just wanna say the boatposts were rad

Aw it’s nice to be appreciated.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is probably for another thread so I’ll keep it one off, but you have made me curious: Were the colonists on some kind of mission? Like, what changed over 200ish years between the Wampanoag and the colonists - why did they expand into Wampanoag lands instead of spreading out, which would surely have been easier and less likely to end up dead from your former buddies.

When you start a colony in inhabited land, you’re gonna have to do some light genocide as part of the ramp-up process.

They were never “buddies” except when it suited the colonists.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

october 7th footage of two hamas guys scaring the poo poo out of a dozen and a half IDF troopers

https://twitter.com/megatron_ron/status/1727722015774142870?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

What does this video bring to the discussion?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So seeing media reporting that the Houthis have grabbed (Or are actively trying to grab, reporting isn't clear) a tanker off Yemen, the MV Central Park, 2015 built, 20k DWT, Liberian flag, British company. The owner of the company that owns the tanker is an Israeli citizen living in Monaco. Dude's worth about 20 billions according to Bloomberg, and he's assuredly got more boats. And, again, insurance.

Boat's last port was Safi, Morocco, and she was transiting southbound through the Red Sea squawking "For order" as a destination so it looks like not only was she empty, she wasn't even on charter.

There's a crew onboard - 12-20 people - but I don't know what nationality or if they're ok, because see above RE people giving a gently caress about crews.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Further information came out in MV Central Park, she’s carrying a full load of phosphoric acid. Crew of 22, captain is Turkish but other crew members are a mix of Russian, Vietnamese, Bulgarian, Indian, Georgian and Filipino.

Phosphoric acid is mostly used for fertilizers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Latest reporting is that the hijacking of the Central Park was unsuccessful, and the attackers might have been Somalis.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ok enough discussion of whether or not the IDF gunship fired on the crowd, until more evidence comes out either way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

BUUNNI posted:

Can we still talk about the zionist gene seed harvester squadrons

I get annoyed when y’all talk about anything else.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ok, that's enough, the thread has gotten to the point where I can't be arsed to read it, so we're going back into dystopian mode.

For all the newcomers, here's a reminder of the subforum rules:

quote:

GIP is not a "FYAD Lite" -- This means that inline NSW images or racism will be punished; normal SA rules apply.
Do not violate OPSEC! -- If you see a post that you believes violates OPSEC please report it AND PM me.
Blanket Racism/Slur/Inclusion Rule-- I want GiP to be a place for everybody, and I want it to be inclusive of people and conducive to discussion. Slurs are ugly nouns used to define a group based on one or more of their inherent characteristics, that is characteristics that they cannot change. Slurs are not allowed here. I will punish you very, very hard for using slurs. Same goes for dog whistles. Bad faith posting and signalling are not hard to see through.
Be excellent to each other and party on, dudes -- Arguments will happen, but attacks on posters instead of their arguments are frowned upon. Partying on is optional. You cannot use this as a shield if you're not arguing in good faith. If you're just blatantly pissing people off and they respond accordingly, I'm likely going to push buttons on you and not them.
Shitposting in the Get Help Thread is forbidden -- Please do not cause trouble in a thread meant to be a resource for troubled goons.
The Current Events Thread is for current events -- Discussions and even heated debate will inevitably occur there and that's fine, but sustained discussions on politically-charged topics should go into a thread dedicated to that topic.
Mod Discretion Exists -- These rules are more like guidelines and I have zero patience for "I'm not touching you!" games where you cleverly rules-lawyer yourself a post that technically doesn't break any of these rules but it still goes against the spirit of them.
Don't Post Snuff - What constitutes snuff will come down to mod discretion but if the whole point of what you're posting is to show death then don't post it.

Further, as in the current event thread, the thread is for discussion of current events, not other posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I can’t believe I’m posting in this loving cesspit of a thread again, but stay on topic y’all.