Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That made me curious who holds the record for career playoff games played, and I'm happy to report my first guess was right: Chris Chelios. Nicklas Lidstrom finished only 3 behind him, 266 to 263.

The active leader I didn't do so well at guessing, it's Creepy Rory at 204. My guess was Pavelski, he's 3rd on the active list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So much for all that extra prep time Tkachuk was going on about

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah but he hit two guys down 3, so that counts for something.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Crazy that McDonaugh is only 10 games away despite being 4 years younger. I guess those Rangers teams played a ton of long series and then traded him right as they stopped being good.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Evidently they wasted it preparing for the Leafs.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but he hit two guys down 3, so that counts for something.

Maybe instead of taking shots at a team he wasnt even playing he should have focused on taking more shots on net

yes I understand this joke sucks since he scored their only goal

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Turns out you don't need a #1 center if your goalie never allows more than 2 goals.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wow Keefe's system suddenly redeemed!!!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Feels worth mentioning that three years running the team that eliminated the leafs reached the SCF, and that I'm not mad, and furthermore that everyone else is in fact mad

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Wow Keefe's system suddenly redeemed!!!

BRENDAN SHANAHAN DONT LOOK AT THIS POST!!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tomanton posted:

Feels worth mentioning that three years running the team that eliminated the leafs reached the SCF, and that I'm not mad, and furthermore that everyone else is in fact mad

Bad news: Keefe said this year the Leafs beat themselves.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Koopa Kid posted:

Has this ever been proven true? Or even somehow tested?

Once you get a couple of nights sleep, I think both teams are on the same "rest" footing.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I tend to think "rest" is overblown as being important. At least between round 1 and 2. That's not to say it's unimportant, and a team that has more time off between the conference finals and the final I could see it being a difference, having gone through three series already, but I don't think it's as big a deal early in the playoffs as people make it out to be.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 7, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It presumably matters more the more beat up you get.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There is something to be said about the match-up in round 1, as well. Last year it sucked to draw the Wild since they couldn't actually play hockey and just hoped to beat the poo poo out of the Stars to win. Regardless of how many games that series went, a "pound of flesh" type series to start the playoffs can be a real pain, you might say.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1787542991370080667?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

great scouting by Florida to get him and Montour. gotta wonder what type of evaluation system they got that leads them to get those two and also pick up Marc Staal. or Colorado that leads them to identify and invest in Toews and Girard and also Jack Johnson. is it a alright we gotta get one for the culture third pairing type of thing?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So uhh, the Leafs really still have a coach?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1787542991370080667?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

great scouting by Florida to get him and Montour. gotta wonder what type of evaluation system they got that leads them to get those two and also pick up Marc Staal. or Colorado that leads them to identify and invest in Toews and Girard and also Jack Johnson. is it a alright we gotta get one for the culture third pairing type of thing?

I think most hockey teams still believe that it takes all types to make a good roster.. So you're going to always see jobs for 4th line / 3rd pairing character guys even on the highest performing / most analytically inclined organizations.

I was confronted with this listening to the 32 thoughts podcast today and hearing Friedman talk about how Vegas is such a progressive and analytically inclined organization who is going to try to get every edge possible from the numbers and incorporating analytics into every facet of their organization to stay in contention for Stanley Cups as long as they can and then in the next breath he's talking about how they've been trying to trade for Radek Faksa for years.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 7, 2024

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lol cats

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The active leader I didn't do so well at guessing, it's Creepy Rory at 204. My guess was Pavelski, he's 3rd on the active list.

Who's second? My guess is Sid.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Surprisingly, Sid is 4th.

Top 3
1. Perry
2. McDonagh
3. Pavelski

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Sid and Geno are actually fourth and fifth. second is someone I probably wouldnt have guessed with 30 attempts

Ryan McDonagh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So uhh, the Leafs really still have a coach?

Still? They haven't had a coach for going on 20 years.

Twin Cinema posted:

Surprisingly, Sid is 4th.

Not that surprising really. Sid has the 3 Cups, and they reached the conference final one other time (when they were on the business end of one of the most lopsided sweeps in NHL playoff history). Other than that they've gone out in the first or second round every year of his career, mostly the first, until they stopped making the playoffs altogether. Even the Thornton/Marleau Sharks made more deep playoff runs than the Crosby/Malkin Penguins did.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 7, 2024

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/colinsnewsday/status/1787873612667469947

If Chytil comes back tonight I'm gonna lose my mind (it'll probably be Brodzinski).

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Public service announcement in case other folks are as dumb as me and thought the comments about posting here for loser teams were jokes, there actually is a loser team thread but it's hard to spot because it doesn't use the NHL icon. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058745

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I really like Jeremy Swayman's game. Dude is boring, and for a goalie that's a compliment. He has the quick-twitch to make good split-second-reaction saves, but mostly what he's all about is just very quickly getting into the optimal position for whatever's going on in front of him and staying there. If you can snipe it past me, power to you, buddy, but you're not going to catch me out of position or failing to seal my post.

It would get him killed playing for the Penguins or Maple Leafs, but with a defensively great team like Boston in front of him it works wonderfully.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

Public service announcement in case other folks are as dumb as me and thought the comments about posting here for loser teams were jokes, there actually is a loser team thread but it's hard to spot because it doesn't use the NHL icon. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058745

I just discovered this last night. I appreciate how well the October thread title has aged.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I really like Jeremy Swayman's game. Dude is boring, It would get him killed playing for the Penguins or Maple Leafs, but with a defensively great team like Boston in front of him it works wonderfully.

The Leafs have generally been good defensively even in the regular season (this season was an outlier) and especially in front of calm, positionally sound goalies (Campbell before he fell apart, Woll when he's healthy), so I'm unclear why this narrative that leads to stacking the team with Benoits and Lyubushkins at the deadline won't die. Like every year they lose in the playoffs from lack of scoring.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Whew, I'm glad that was just a misconception. Looking forward to the vast improvement in the Penguins defensive play when Sheldon Keefe becomes their coach.

More seriously, the Leafs were 2nd in goals scored and 19th in goals allowed this year. Tied with the Islanders for the 2nd worst defensive team among the 16 playoff teams. Yes, I know the fancystats insist their team defense is good and it's just that their goalies are terrible. No, I don't buy it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs under Keefe swarm the puck in the corners and below the goal line, and if they ever lose the battle then there's massive gaping holes in their coverage (just like every iteration of the swarm). People only remember goals, not all the plays where nothing happens, so the Leafs can simultaneously be a good defending team by most metrics and also look awful to fans.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You don't need fancystats to tell you that Samsonov is dogshit, Eric, or to look up playoff or previous regular season stats.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

The Leafs under Keefe swarm the puck in the corners and below the goal line, and if they ever lose the battle then there's massive gaping holes in their coverage (just like every iteration of the swarm). People only remember goals, not all the plays where nothing happens, so the Leafs can simultaneously be a good defending team by most metrics and also look awful to fans.

Very Hakstolian

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Exactly the poo poo Mike Johnston did too, the two hallmarks of his lovely juho system were swarming the puck and never taking the puck more than 5 feet from the boards except to try to pass it to someone in the slot

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

What do you guys feel about Columbus? Any thoughts on their roster going into next year? What about the coaching staff?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

What do you guys feel about Columbus? Any thoughts on their roster going into next year? What about the coaching staff?

I don't tend to think about Columbus.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Cocaine Bear posted:

They have some promising young talent, but they also have weird pieces. And I'm not 100% sure about their development? I don't have a ton of thoughts on their coaching, but they still seem a few years away. Fantilli, Sillinger, Marchenko, Voronkov, Kent Johnson, Jiricek, Gavin Brindley, etc. all seem good. But Laine and Gaudreau might not ever be what they want to be, and they also have Severson longterm who will probably check out until they have a good team. Jenner will probably be aging out of when they're competitive. Provorov they probably shouldn't re-sign, nor Gudbrandson. So that's a lot of turnover while they still have a lot of young guys. I think they're at least another 2 years out. They'll have another high pick this year, and they'll probably have one again next year, which is good for them. Starting in 2026-2027, it should be something like:

Gaudreau-Fantilli-(top pick)
Marchenko-Johnson-Brindley
Chinakov-Sillinger-Dumais
Voronkov-x-Chinakhov

Werenski-Severson
Mateychuk-Jiricek
x-x

Elvis
x

And that's not counting any FAs they might be able to get. They're in a good position. They absolutely need to retain Werenski (he's signed but make sure they don't trade him), hope Gaudreau/Severson pick it up once they have a chance at being good, and find another goalie.

They're going to have another high pick this year, probably another one next year, and possibly one the year after that. If they hit on another high pick--especially a defenseman--it'll really help them. Brindley-Dumais have high ceilings, but I think they need one more killer top 6 guy and 1 more top end defenseman. They should stay the course and tank again. Scott Wheeler @ The Athletic ranks them 3rd for prospects.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, any other loser rear end teams you guys wanna talk about in this, the loser rear end team thread?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I don't tend to think about Columbus.

Westworld it doesnt look like anything to me.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, any other loser rear end teams you guys wanna talk about in this, the loser rear end team thread?

gently caress me, I'm a moron. I thought this was a genuine ask lmao. I should have known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

gently caress me, I'm a moron. I thought this was a genuine ask lmao. I should have known

Don't apologize for high quality effort posts! :justpost: