Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jhet posted:

My biggest issue is they're not scoring even more. Defensively they've been great, but there are better defensive teams they're going to need to get through that I'm not sold yet. I think if they can handle business away from home in a decent style I'll be higher on them. Florida has the benefit of having that third game in the win column for me too.

Scoring 4 goals per game not enough anymore, ok

Even bad NHL teams don’t just get blown out every game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

I just need one pirate site that works with Airplay and then I'm in. Come on pirates have some pride in your work.

If you have a nice enough MacBook you can just screen mirror, I’ve done that before.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Duckman2008 posted:

At least they stoped the "live sports" and whatever after that verbal script. But the music is awful.

Oh god yes. I just mute it now until the game comes back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chad Sexington posted:

Even the highlights of the Canes game was boring.

Did we watch the same game? After a painfully dull first 2 games I thought game 3 was great. The Islanders actually play some drat great hockey when Roy doesn't make them turtle, apparently. They might just make a series of it yet if they play from behind all the way down. They should keep starting Sorokin to ensure it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dear NHL broadcasters,

Please locate a kindergarten teacher and ask them to help you learn the difference between the numeral 8 and the numeral 9.

There is a man who plays for the Carolina Hurricanes named Jesperi Kotkaniemi. He wears uniform number 82. He is not Evgeny Kuznetsov, who wears uniform number 92. Kuznetsov does not, in fact, play 24 minutes per game. They are different people.

Thank you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you have a nice enough MacBook you can just screen mirror, I’ve done that before.

My iPad will do it but I don’t like having by it sitting there, having to keep the screen on and not useable for 3 hours.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Did we watch the same game? After a painfully dull first 2 games I thought game 3 was great. The Islanders actually play some drat great hockey when Roy doesn't make them turtle, apparently. They might just make a series of it yet if they play from behind all the way down. They should keep starting Sorokin to ensure it.

Thanks for the jinx! Sweep incoming.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also boy howdy did DeAngelo look terrible yesterday. He's wildly out of position like 85% of the time, he plays like Mike Matheson but without Matheson's size or recovery speed

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also boy howdy did DeAngelo look terrible yesterday. He's wildly out of position like 85% of the time, he plays like Mike Matheson but without Matheson's size or recovery speed

I swear early in the game Buccigross said "DeAngelo is in for (whoever), he'll be a UFA this summer and will be making a loooooot of money on a new contract, he'll be highly sought"

and i'm like man you insane no one wants deangelo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He came in for Pesce who is out for the series and probably the playoffs. That probably sinks the Canes' Cup hopes, not that Pesce is a superstar, but they're not going to get away with playing DeAngelo against the Rangers.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Pesce is also who that announcer was talking about. He's probably going to be getting a lot more money next year from someone other than Carolina.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Looks like the Leafs coaching staff shares my opinion that Bruins goals 1 and 3 last game were on Liljegren, he’s coming out for Brodie. Who has sucked this year, and may be a bad call, but it also feels bad to keep the same D mix when they have so many options so :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, a quick glance at their Capfriendly page will tell you this is the end of Carolina's contending window. Half their good players are UFA this summer, most of the rest are UFA next summer, and they don't have the cap space to sign nearly all of them. And they are a surprisingly old team.

The Hurricanes have five (5) players signed beyond next season: Aho and Svechnikov (good!), their backup goalie, and then Kotkaniemi (as a result of their attempt to counter-troll Marc Bergevin a couple years ago) and Jordan Staal (who is washed up but signed for 3 more years).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 26, 2024

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, a quick glance at their Capfriendly page will tell you this is the end of Carolina's contending window. Half their good players are UFA this summer, most of the rest are UFA next summer, and they don't have the cap space to sign nearly all of them. And they are a surprisingly old team.

The Hurricanes have five (5) players signed beyond next season: Aho and Svechnikov (good!), their backup goalie, and then Kotkaniemi (as a result of their attempt to counter-troll Marc Bergevin a couple years ago) and Jordan Staal (who is washed up but signed for 3 more years).

They're definitely about to get worse because they're tight on space already with a bunch of advantageous contracts, but Jarvis and Necas are RFA, a forward core of Aho/Svechnikov/Jarvis/Necas/Kotkaniemi should still be competitive (and they could still move Necas to make something work). I don't think they're doomed yet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

deety posted:

Pesce is also who that announcer was talking about. He's probably going to be getting a lot more money next year from someone other than Carolina.

got it, I wondered if I blanked on something and that makes a lot more sense

gently caress carolina

e: Rod is also at the end of his contract and if they dont' win the cup I wonder if they let him walk

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Carolina will definitely want Rod back but I do wonder if he'll want to stick around for the re-tool. For all he's been a super loyal Hurricane since they traded for him 25 years ago and he's the only major sports coach who walks past a statue of himself to work every morning, the fact he hasn't signed an extension suggests he at least is going to consider his options next summer and is going to expect the biggest coach contract ever.

As always with a highly coveted coach the sticking point is probably that he wants control over personnel moves/to be defacto GM.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

My theory is Brindamour is gonna coach the Leafs when they pay him 10 million a year

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Definitely the coach a team that perennially underachieves in the playoffs should target

e: More seriously though, Shahanan is still there and they just hired a GM, they won't be hiring any coach who won't accept the roster being made for him. Besides the fact they probably won't fire Keefe.

If he leaves the Hurricanes this summer it almost certainly will be to the Devils I think. I don't see what team in a better position than the Canes will be in the coach market. Kings maybe.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 26, 2024

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Am I the only person, granted not a full hockey fan, who thinks the Islanders are hosed from a long term perspective? Team is mid. No prospects. Lou handed out 7 and 8 year deals like candy...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Isentropy posted:

Am I the only person, granted not a full hockey fan, who thinks the Islanders are hosed from a long term perspective? Team is mid. No prospects. Lou handed out 7 and 8 year deals like candy...

no, everyone except the most die hard isles fans think that

e: I mean, you nailed it exactly. They have a few good young to young-ish players, but so does every team in the NHL. They have a ton of old and random players signed to big long contracts and just no clear direction to go to get younger and more talented quickly enough to at least make those big contracts hurt less so you can justify those overpaid guys as "support" for the young talent

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Islanders are going to join the Penguins in being the next Sharks and Ducks, but it might be a couple more years of finishing 3rd in the Metro yet before the Isles collapse.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Definitely the coach a team that perennially underachieves in the playoffs should target

e: More seriously though, Shahanan is still there and they just hired a GM, they won't be hiring any coach who won't accept the roster being made for him. Besides the fact they probably won't fire Keefe.

If he leaves the Hurricanes this summer it almost certainly will be to the Devils I think. I don't see what team in a better position than the Canes will be in the coach market. Kings maybe.

Keefe is toast if they don't beat the Bruins. Treliving gets to hire a coach.

Rumour locally all year has been Berube which fuckin lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If the Leafs were willing to hire a coach who wants to pick his own players, they'd probably be better off with Sullivan (who they likely could literally trade Keefe for) than Brind'Amour.

But they won't be, so yeah it'll be Berube or someone a lot like him. Maybe Evason if you're lucky. Todd McLellan if you roll a 1.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 26, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Isentropy posted:

It's going to take a lot of their players not deteriorating as they age and Sorokin un-pumpkining and a new coyotes style dumping ground to unfuck their current situation

Which is a lot to hope for I think

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Levitate posted:

Rod is also at the end of his contract and if they dont' win the cup I wonder if they let him walk

Rod isn't going anywhere. The last time his contact was up, he waited to sign until the team had taken care of his staff first, so this is probably just that again. The GM announced back around the trade deadline that they'd basically agreed on terms already.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Rod might be sick of getting strung along by an owner who doesn't think he needs to overspend on his staff

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Isles have a 26 year old Barzal, 23 year old Dobson, and 28 year old Sorokin. I don't think they'll be good any time soon because they're loaded down with terrible contracts and old players otherwise but I don't see them bottoming out any time soon with that core either. Sorokin alone would keep them mildly competitive.

They'll probably just end up finishing 10th a bunch of times soon.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

My theory is Brindamour is gonna coach the Leafs when they pay him 10 million a year

This reminded me of when Babcock was coach,

so I looked it up and Keefe has coached roughly the same number of games as Babcock did for the Leafs:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aces High posted:

Which is funnier, Tampa getting swept when they were President's Trophy winners, or getting swept after Kuch had a 100 assist season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz3lq6HUdGc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

This reminded me of when Babcock was coach,

so I looked it up and Keefe has coached roughly the same number of games as Babcock did for the Leafs:

same amount of success, too

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Ginette Reno posted:

The Isles have a 26 year old Barzal, 23 year old Dobson, and 28 year old Sorokin. I don't think they'll be good any time soon because they're loaded down with terrible contracts and old players otherwise but I don't see them bottoming out any time soon with that core either. Sorokin alone would keep them mildly competitive.

They'll probably just end up finishing 10th a bunch of times soon.

This is the most realistic scenario. Our future is as a perennial bubble team finishing at WC2 or just outside of it. It's what would have happened this year too if the Flyers didn't implode in predictably Flyers fashion down the stretch. Maybe Roy will whip this weird-rear end roster into shape with a full season of his style, but I could see Lou tossing him next year if we end up missing the postseason.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Fish posted:

This is the most realistic scenario. Our future is as a perennial bubble team finishing at WC2 or just outside of it. It's what would have happened this year too if the Flyers didn't implode in predictably Flyers fashion down the stretch. Maybe Roy will whip this weird-rear end roster into shape with a full season of his style, but I could see Lou tossing him next year if we end up missing the postseason.

this is the kind of roster management that turns you into the 2016-2024 Detroit Red Wings

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I really thought Wahlstrom was gonna break out a few years ago. Someone like that hitting to give them any bit of depth would be a world of difference but maybe Holmstrom still will

The other looming question is how many healthy seasons does Horvat have left in him

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

this is the kind of roster management that turns you into the 2016-2024 Detroit Red Wings

I have to wonder why Roy stepped on this grenade. Lou's son is corporate management there, you're going to be fired when this ends. Geoff Molson wouldn't have minded helping you out bud

Especially given we now know: Bergevin hated any Hab who was better than him being in the building. GUY LAFLEUR was banned!!

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I really thought Wahlstrom was gonna break out a few years ago. Someone like that hitting to give them any bit of depth would be a world of difference but maybe Holmstrom still will

The other looming question is how many healthy seasons does Horvat have left in him

I could see Holmstrom turning into a solid middle-sixer. Defensively responsible and a nice finishing touch on the penalty kill doesn't hurt. I weep for Wahly, it really seems like that ACL tear from last season completely derailed his career. He just hasn't been able to convert the way he did previously, and it doesn't look like he's found the rest of his game beyond an admittedly killer shot.

Bo is a stud and I want to keep him around forever. I don't care what kind of cybernetic enhancements that'll take. Make him look like he just finished an internship with the Adeptus Mechanicus, i don't give a gently caress.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Caps are done

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Caps are done

They all keep talking about Ovi needs to get going and how as the star leader he’s the key for the Caps and it’s just like…nah, he’s cooked. If you’re relying on him to somehow turn back the clock and be a difference maker then the caps are certainly doomed

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Levitate posted:

They all keep talking about Ovi needs to get going and how as the star leader he’s the key for the Caps and it’s just like…nah, he’s cooked. If you’re relying on him to somehow turn back the clock and be a difference maker then the caps are certainly doomed

Ovi is still very good for how old he is, IMO, but yeah he can't be the guy driving the bus. And if it's not him, then who? Carlson? Strome? Both of them are excellent players, but probably not guys you would want to say are your #1 player. No one else is even worth mentioning. At least they kept the scores kinda close while they got swept, I guess.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah I love Ovie but if the Capitals are serious about winning while he's still playing then he can't be a featured player any more.

I've said it like a billion times but they need to trade Tom Wilson now before the league figures out he's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah I love Ovie but if the Capitals are serious about winning while he's still playing then he can't be a featured player any more.

I've said it like a billion times but they need to trade Tom Wilson now before the league figures out he's bad.

Yeah they could have gotten a serious haul for Wilson last summer. He's the kind of player GMs lose their minds over. Just look at what Jeannot got. I get why they kept him but man, sometimes I wish they were more ruthless about trading players the way Vegas/Tampa are.