Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mikeycp posted:

if i read a comic i don't tend to watch it when it's adapted though

For me, it depends on the show and how stacked the season is. If it's a really excellent manga I'm more than happy to go through the story again, especially if it's something like SLF that has multi-chapter action scenes.

More middling mangas I'll prefer to read rather than watch, since they're unlikely to get the budget to produce anything really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You may prefer the manga to the show.

The show is amazing. Don't get me wrong. And it's fantastic to see it get the treatment it deserves. But the manga is REALLY great and reads extremely well.

In contrast, the show can be a little slow and spends a huge amount of its runtime explaining things that are a lot more elegant in manga form.

Having read both I feel like it's totally ok to read this manga and then go appreciate the anime for its strengths too, because they are both good in different ways.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Where does the manga live? I've been solely in the sj app bubble long enough I don't know what sites even exist anymore

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mikeycp posted:

Where does the manga live? I've been solely in the sj app bubble long enough I don't know what sites even exist anymore

I believe it is published on https://kmanga.kodansha.com/ and the volume releases can be purchased from the usual places like Amazon. Mangadex has up through chapter 132 when people stopped fan translating it, and of course there are aggregator sites where people upload the chapters taken from kmanga.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Nemo2342 posted:

I believe it is published on https://kmanga.kodansha.com/ and the volume releases can be purchased from the usual places like Amazon. Mangadex has up through chapter 132 when people stopped fan translating it, and of course there are aggregator sites where people upload the chapters taken from kmanga.

thanks!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Yes, read the manga, because if for some misbegotten reason they don't do more cours, you'll miss out on getting to meet two of my favorite characters in the series who will be in the coming story arc.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Lots of loving around and finding out today. I'm sad there's only one more episode to go.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Nemo2342 posted:

Lots of loving around and finding out today. I'm sad there's only one more episode to go.

One more episode of season 1. Plenty more manga to adapt.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've started the manga and gently caress it's good

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Kvantum posted:

One more episode of season 1. Plenty more manga to adapt.

Yeah, but i haven't seen any announcements of a season 2 coming yet. Not even a "date: tba" kind. I don't wanna be a pessimist, but i also don't wanna have to hope i haven't forgotten about this series (or just read the manga and spoiled myself) if they announce that it's gonna be 2025 before we get a season 2.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
A S2 announcement wouldn’t happen before the first season ended, and there’s still one more episode of this season

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I do hope they get to do more seasons. So many things I'd like to see animated:

The 2nd fight with Lycagon
Emul's brother Ceecrue and his PC ninja friend
and of course, A-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-AMEESE!!! :syoon:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

I do hope they get to do more seasons. So many things I'd like to see animated:

The 2nd fight with Lycagon
Emul's brother Ceecrue and his PC ninja friend
and of course, A-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-AMEESE!!! :syoon:

100% YES to that last one. I was hoping(still am) that we get to the Professor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Be a tad silly if they don't, considering they show The Prof in the opening credits.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

Be a tad silly if they don't, considering they show The Prof in the opening credits.

I mean they showed Akane and I'm still not sure if they'll show her.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I could see including Akane in like a season-ending montage. They don't show up in the story quite yet, though this is around when they start canonically playing the game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I love that Sunraku being such a huge dumbass resulted in an entire episode of hurling his corpse into a meat grinder and it was still good times to watch where a sloppier show would have only turned in "filler" for this.

I kept expecting a hotfix to the way the Inventoria worked as the capstone. What we got was so much better.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dynamite Bone-In Muscle Burst...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

pengilgon is a griefer after my own heart

mad respect

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

claw game handjob posted:

I love that Sunraku being such a huge dumbass resulted in an entire episode of hurling his corpse into a meat grinder and it was still good times to watch where a sloppier show would have only turned in "filler" for this.

I kept expecting a hotfix to the way the Inventoria worked as the capstone. What we got was so much better.

"No! NO!

"I had sploits enough to get it! SPLOITS ENOUGH AT LAAAAST!"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Well I'm caught up with the comic now.

My life feels empty without chapter

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Anyone here read the web novel, and if so, how do you feel about it? I love the anime but if I'm going back to the source, I would be inclined to go aaaall the way back to the source rather than read the manga.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Anyone here read the web novel, and if so, how do you feel about it? I love the anime but if I'm going back to the source, I would be inclined to go aaaall the way back to the source rather than read the manga.

I've not, but the discord I belong to for the series has all kinds of info on the series from the WN including artwork of stuff from MUCH later.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That sounds super cool. Any chance you could PM me an invite URL for the discord?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

the official manga has short bits of writing from the author at the end of volumes if you want to get a taste.

personally i don't care for the prose, at least in translation

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Second season has not only been confirmed, but it's right arounf the corner dropping this October

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
We definitely nailed the ending by introducing two over-the-top characters in the final episode.

And hell yeah, Season 2!

Nemo2342 posted:

We're partly through 49 right now, and we have 4 episodes left. We've not really cut anything from the manga, and OP shows some of the stuff from chapters 51-53. However we won't get to the character featured prominently in the OP until 58.

I'm going to guess it ends at the end of chapter 58, because that last panel makes a great cliffhanger for a season 2. The big clan meeting is chapter 63, so I feel like that'd be a good thing to have early in Season 2 to help recap Season 1.

Called it:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Keep on posing into oblivion for love, error-miss. Not that you'd let anyone stop you.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Oh God. The professors voice is so much better than I could have expected. It has to be the best casting in the entire show.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

doomrider7 posted:

Oh God. The professors voice is so much better than I could have expected. It has to be the best casting in the entire show.

Hearing that voice out of that body is as hilarious as I had hoped it would be.

EDIT
Gotta save that for October. :holy:
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Doodles fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 31, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

Hearing that voice out of that body is as hilarious as I had hoped it would be.

Super hoping they introduce his wife to add to the dissonance since she's basically Helck.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

holy poo poo october is closer than i could've ever hoped for

i wonder what all and how they'll make things fit into a second season

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

mikeycp posted:

holy poo poo october is closer than i could've ever hoped for

i wonder what all and how they'll make things fit into a second season

My prediction, we end things just before the tourney arc and that's the hook for the next season.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

My prediction, we end things just before the tourney arc and that's the hook for the next season.

are we ending before underwater adventures too then?

a number of plot threads all intertwining is gonna make them have to work a bit for what to get into the season

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

I think that's the safest bet. We did 58 chapters in 25 episodes, but another 58 chapters would put us 1 chapter into volume 13 and it's kind of an awkward place to stop. Chapter 110 is a good stopping spot if you want to devote all of season 3 to the 3rd arc, though going to 115 will end the volume and give everyone an idea of just what season 3 would be about (for better or for worse).

Season 3 is going to be rough though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter is out if you know where to look.

Rei really is the most absolute BEAST player in the game. She's like a combination of the "Can't stop (Havel) The Rock", "Tarkus is better than you", and Giantdad all rolled into one and it's awesome.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sunraku... is in danger, the sexy kind of danger, but danger none the less

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Rei's only slightly OP...

In other news, there's going to be an interview streamed on YT with the story's author and FZMZ, which I'll post a link to below. Any Japanese speakers around who can take a few quick notes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7TnPGv7Yo

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Overcoming physical resistance by powerbombing one guardian into the other guardian's burning corpse sure is one approach to the problem.

Collide those big numbers, Rei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

Overcoming physical resistance by powerbombing one guardian into the other guardian's burning corpse sure is one approach to the problem.

Collide those big numbers, Rei.

That's why she's the Attack Holder.