Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

Latest episode is absolutely loving lit.

Also I stan for Mia and drawing her bow at other players.

Some day we will read about her legendary PK exploits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love that the discussion got more and more serious about this shirtless bird guy and his talking rabbit friend. Everything really is more fun if you take it seriously.

Also I can't believe I didn't get the name "Arthur Pencilgon" until it was revealed that they used to go by "Pencil Knight"

Can you explain the joke to me. Like first name is clearly a Arthur Pendragon reference with Pencil in it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Can you explain the joke to me. Like first name is clearly a Arthur Pendragon reference with Pencil in it.

That's basically it, just changing Pen->Pencil since they're both used for writing. Like Reese Witherspoon/Reese Withoutherspoon.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Here's the best description for Pencilgon I've found.

quote:

And so the anime community is introduced to Pencilgon, the woman whose background story involved her being such a video game supervillain that she literally became the final boss of Rust.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
So she's The Mittani? :holy:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The Best Worst Person

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I cannot get over how good this show looks. The manga is just behind Attack on Titan on K Manga so it must be fairly popular, but I still didn’t expect such high quality animation. I really hope this isn’t a one and done adaptation and we continue to get this wild stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love how they give the throne room door to Pencil Knight a fog door effect. It's like, everybody knows what it's supposed to be.

Also I appreciate the idea of somebody who cultivates disabling skills for the sole purpose of posing with hostile monsters. That's a dream to chase.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

I love how they give the throne room door to Pencil Knight a fog door effect. It's like, everybody knows what it's supposed to be.

Also I appreciate the idea of somebody who cultivates disabling skills for the sole purpose of posing with hostile monsters. That's a dream to chase.

It does also make for a really good build in general if you think about it. All of those status effects hitting at once is gonna down ANYONE.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Pencilgon and the others' shenanigans in Unite Rounds sounds like a goon project to troll an MMO. :allears:

I also love how Sunraku and Pencilgon trash-talk each other the second they meet in SLF, as close friends do. It's stuff like this that makes it seem like the author has a lot of experience playing games with friends online.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sunraku and pencilgon sharing a laugh about his dumb joke before fighting was great, absolutely mmo friend/rival behavior

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Glazius posted:

The way she was licking her chops when Emul was in her hands suggests it was something other than posing she wanted to do. :gonk:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

The way she was licking her chops when Emul was in her hands suggests it was something other than posing she wanted to do. :gonk:
She's just happy to see Emul.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 9, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Exceptionally lewd 100% NSFW episode of SLF. protect your children/Emul

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Psyger-0 is best girl

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
May we all find someone who cares for us enough to take down a PKer with a single hit.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I really appreciate how this adaption is expanding on Rei's POV.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

I really appreciate how this adaption is expanding on Rei's POV.

Agreed. I could already infer she was in Judo, but it's actually nice to actually see it expanded upon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The reveal that he stubbornly bashed his head against the poopbird 115 times was really funny.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

The reveal that he stubbornly bashed his head against the poopbird 115 times was really funny.

Some real good Sunraku faces this episode. I love how by the end, he was completely brainblasted but insisting he's got the Download Complete bit that FGC players like to joke about.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

Some real good Sunraku faces this episode. I love how by the end, he was completely brainblasted but insisting he's got the Download Complete bit that FGC players like to joke about.

The official manga has some end of volume stories written and the Epic of the Toxic Eagle was one of them. It's exactly as epic as it sounds.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

latest episode is up,

Mia Still pointing the bow, still absolutely perfect EVERY TIME

Ending of the episode is even better.

we 100% a horror anime now.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 19, 2023

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

latest episode is up,

Mia Still pointing the bow, still absolutely perfect EVERY TIME

I appreciate that they keep this going.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
PEATZ!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I'm not gonna lie, the friendly vorpal bunnies (and others) are my favorite part of the story. Mostly because they play into roles that are neat for the story but which player characters might not be willing to take up (and if they were, interacting with them would compromise Sunraku's opsec.)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Happy Birdday

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
What is the card for? Is it the birthday of Sunraku's voice actor?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

What is the card for? Is it the birthday of Sunraku's voice actor?

It's the characters canon B-day.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I appreciate Sunraku's bit of self-reflection in this episode. Just playing trash games may have honed his reaction time and focus to a crazy degree, but it's also made him a bit complacent about taking losses when faced with a true challenge because he knows he'd just respawn from a checkpoint anyway.

And I dunno why Sunraku's so mad about not getting loot from this quest. The rabbit choker giving him several levels with 2.5x stat points earned is the best treasure to be had. :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Titles are always worth it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

I appreciate Sunraku's bit of self-reflection in this episode. Just playing trash games may have honed his reaction time and focus to a crazy degree, but it's also made him a bit complacent about taking losses when faced with a true challenge because he knows he'd just respawn from a checkpoint anyway.

And I dunno why Sunraku's so mad about not getting loot from this quest. The rabbit choker giving him several levels with 2.5x stat points earned is the best treasure to be had. :v:

He only went up like 2-4 levels if even that. The title DOES come with some great benefits though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

amigolupus posted:

Now he does not have the choker.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

He only went up like 2-4 levels if even that. The title DOES come with some great benefits though.

tbf an entire mmo playerbase would absolutely go to war over 2 levels of extra stats

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
They're really letting Rei shine in this adaption and I am loving it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Great episode, it was absolutely fantastic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Emul completely striking out on live commentary was a fun gag.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Infighting is something you don't see a whole lot in MMOs for, well, exactly this reason. People like Mr. Staring Vulture Mask over here can just swoop in and scoop up the spoils, because it's not like the fighters want them.

Of course, if you try and code around it you can run into problems, like people training AoE attackers into a world boss fight to invalidate the rewards, or your own weapon's random poison chance not being recognized as your own damage. City of Heroes, for all that I'll talk it up, went this way too... kind of. There weren't really significant item drops to speak of, but you did lose out on a proportional-to-damage share of XP. Not a problem if there are a few rumbles mixed into the overworld spawns to add color - just keep going down the block, you'll get another one. But it really bit the low-damage crowd control archetypes, who could confuse a boss into destroying their own posse but wouldn't get much of a payoff from it, even if they jumped in immediately.

...oh, and there's this one occasional event where giant monsters show up and beat on each other, but because monsters have a tremendous regeneration rate it was tough for small teams to do a significant enough chunk of the total damage to be counted with defeat credit for the "I helped beat the giant monster" achievement. Fortunately that's one of the things the private server guys got on top of pretty quickly.

But the Prismatic Forest Grotto is probably just the devs wanting to put on a show and not caring too much about the game balance in overworld area 4 out of plenty.

I do wonder how many times Sunraku has played sportscaster while he was watching all the unskippable cutscenes in all those lovely games.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 27, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Your reminder to watch the minis at the end of episodes, because Pencilgon is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Glazius posted:

I do wonder how many times Sunraku has played sportscaster while he was watching all the unskippable cutscenes in all those lovely games.
All of them. I know I would.