Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Supremezero posted:

Your reminder to watch the minis at the end of episodes, because Pencilgon is great.

Kinda surprised she made her avatar look exactly like her.

Also I love how straight they play the beginning of this episode just this group of PKers having this serious discussion about content centered around a cute rabbit and a unique monsterthat. Then you got Pencilgon remarking that they changed after the update patch hit without batting an eye. I love it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kinda surprised she made her avatar look exactly like her.

Also I love how straight they play the beginning of this episode just this group of PKers having this serious discussion about content centered around a cute rabbit and a unique monsterthat. Then you got Pencilgon remarking that they changed after the update patch hit without batting an eye. I love it lol.

Unique monsters are valuable development resources, given that you get a chunk of encounter XP just for showing up to lose. Since they haven't even all been encountered yet, it's worth chasing after anything that seems new.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

Unique monsters are valuable development resources, given that you get a chunk of encounter XP just for showing up to lose. Since they haven't even all been encountered yet, it's worth chasing after anything that seems new.

Not to mention Lycagon is special since it seems to be the only roaming one that can appear anywhere at any time. Knowing it's next spawn location or even having a hint can be a huge piece of info to setup ambushes either for it or for PvP.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I love Sunraku having such gamer brainrot that he overthinks a simple friend request to be something much more sinister. He's such a goon, it's great. :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

amigolupus posted:

I love Sunraku having such gamer brainrot that he overthinks a simple friend request to be something much more sinister. He's such a goon, it's great. :allears:

In this case he is justified, he got access to very very valuable information about the game that high ranking people DO in fact want. For different reasons, Animalia just wants dat bunny, but others do want what he's got and he knows it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

In this case he is justified, he got access to very very valuable information about the game that high ranking people DO in fact want. For different reasons, Animalia just wants dat bunny, but others do want what he's got and he knows it.

Animalia wants the bunny for the same reasons, namely permanent access to Rabbituza. It's what they'll do when they get there that's different.

:ohdear:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Doodles posted:

Animalia

Every time I see their name I hear this song in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlzVp6g5e8o

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Going through the manga again to check on some stuff that was in today's episode, and now I'm giddy to see what they'll do with chapter 28 when Sunraku goes back to that kusoge fighting game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Him desperately struggling to remember a name is so relatable. We all had this situation. Also it's nice that she finally managed to talk a few sentences with her crush, I genuinely did not expect her to do it, the way she was hiding behind that box. Though, I wonder how that conversation will go once she tells him her handle. "Oh you are that Sunraku-person I already befriended just the other day? What a big coincidence that is."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 3, 2023

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Only one party can fight an area boss at a time, they aren't instanced? SLF looking more like another trash game by the episode.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Only one party can fight an area boss at a time, they aren't instanced? SLF looking more like another trash game by the episode.
slf is supposed to be THE game everyone in JP plays too

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I thought about that too. I suppose there would have to be a lot of separate servers? But then it would have been even more impossible for Saiga and the others to cyberstalk Sunraku.
The more this progresses the more he learns that deep down, all games are trash games!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
saiga rei is pretty brave to go by psyger-0

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Gotta say, that area boss' name was exceptionally appropriate, because he clowned on that spooder.

\/\/\/\/ EDIT: If that had been Kumiko he'd killed, I would have cried like a baby.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 4, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Doodles posted:

Gotta say, that area boss' name was exceptionally appropriate, because he clowned on that spooder.

The boss wasn't voiced by aoi yuuki so there was no contest.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I thought about that too. I suppose there would have to be a lot of separate servers? But then it would have been even more impossible for Saiga and the others to cyberstalk Sunraku.
The more this progresses the more he learns that deep down, all games are trash games!

It might be like Ark where one group can fight a boss at a time(though that has several servers as well). Could be a combo of the world being MASSIVE and servers being location based(city x gets server y and so on).

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I know at this point of the story, the most likely reason Sunraku doesn't want to risk Emil dying is because she's the link to all his unique Rabituza stuff, but i hope that it eventually becomes more that he likes her as a character and that's why he doesn't want her to die. I'm also wondering what boss bunny gonna think about Sunraku and the others' plan, since Emil ran off so suddenly to tell him...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
He may have a critical gamer mind but he does seem fond of that little bunny. At least he'd be kind sad if she would permanently bite it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

taiyoko posted:

I know at this point of the story, the most likely reason Sunraku doesn't want to risk Emil dying is because she's the link to all his unique Rabituza stuff, but i hope that it eventually becomes more that he likes her as a character and that's why he doesn't want her to die. I'm also wondering what boss bunny gonna think about Sunraku and the others' plan, since Emil ran off so suddenly to tell him...

Even though we periodically get a "wow these NPCs are so lifelike" line from Sunraku when he meets someone new, at no point does he ever treat NPCs any differently than he does fellow players. I don't think "I need Emul to live so I can continue my unique quest" really factors into his decision making process.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Frankly, at this point he seems to be more attached to emil/vash than the quest itself, which he seems kinda fed up with after the hell-gauntlet with no real reward.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nemo2342 posted:

Even though we periodically get a "wow these NPCs are so lifelike" line from Sunraku when he meets someone new, at no point does he ever treat NPCs any differently than he does fellow players. I don't think "I need Emul to live so I can continue my unique quest" really factors into his decision making process.

It does and doesn't factor in. The quest isn't necessarily the only way to get at Lycagon, but it's pretty damned obvious that it will be tied into SLFs overall plotline (the game, not the anime) and if it does take Sunraku going through all the other unique monsters first to get to the bitch, he'll do it. It's why he's willing to put up with the quest chain, lovely rewards or no.

As it is, permanent access to an area nobody else can get to and stay (other quests in SLF that lead you to the area only allow you to be there on a temporary basis) is a really valuable resource in any MMO. Just ask an Eve Online addict. Rabbituza includes access to PEATZ! (sorry, I just like the guy), as well as any other unique merchants/services from the area. And brother, you're about to meet a lulu. It's why the PK clan is so zealous about protecting the monster only they have access to. It's their source of easy XP, because trying to do so elsewhere would get them attacked by bounty hunters. Since Emul is the only way Sunraku has to get to Rabbituza, he's going to protect "her" for as long as he can.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A cutscene viewer where your party can sit in on it even if they haven't unlocked the scene itself is a pretty interesting social tool in a game that seems to pride itself on player path diversity.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That smithing scene was actually quite cool. That stat requirement really hit me. It shouldn't have been a surprise, because of course that's how that works, but it was well done.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 10, 2023

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Well, Arthur wanted them to grind up, anyway, so he'll likely be able to use them when it comes time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Caught up and man Vash is the coolest boss bunny.

If there is one thing the anime is killing it at, it's knowing exactly how to accentuate the coolness of a character during certain scenes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Some A+ reactions in today's episode. Won't be long now before the big fight happens.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Watch out for those Rabbit-Eared Shoebills, I tell ya. :gaming:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So are we looking at Weatherman fight episode 15 maybe?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
at the current pace of this adaptation, yes

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sunraku Don't Skip The Tutorial Challenge (difficulty: impossible)

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
some good Emuls in this ep

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Considering that the Weazemon fight took a dozen chapters in the manga, it's about to be mighty shonen up in this piece, and if their animation quality holds up then it's going to look spectacular.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The dynamic between Sunraku, Pencilgon and Oicazzo is amazing. The casual level of trolling and poo poo-talking between friends is the most realistic part of this show.

Though I'm sad that the SLF Theater didn't go into what the dating sim was like. The game wanting you to micromanage every second you spend with the datable characters or else they'd all pack their bags to study how to make pizzas in Italy sounds like an amazing trainwreck.

Glazius posted:

The whole skill linking thing reminds me of how Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep had a similar mechanic. A lot of manga that takes place in a video game always feels like the writers never played a drat game in their lives, so details like that makes SLF stand out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Glazius posted:

Sunraku stepping into Firstia for the first time as the credits roll and then just

SHNAGRI-LA FRONTIER: END

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is this a reference to something or a specific artstyle? I've seen this kind of stylization multiple times in different animes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is this a reference to something or a specific artstyle? I've seen this kind of stylization multiple times in different animes.

Jojo.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Another detail I liked was how Cazzo used Repel Counter, a skill that Sunraku also has. It's a nice reminder that this is still an MMO and how players with different builds can still find themselves having a thing in common.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

amigolupus posted:

The dynamic between Sunraku, Pencilgon and Oicazzo is amazing. The casual level of trolling and poo poo-talking between friends is the most realistic part of this show.

Though I'm sad that the SLF Theater didn't go into what the dating sim was like. The game wanting you to micromanage every second you spend with the datable characters or else they'd all pack their bags to study how to make pizzas in Italy sounds like an amazing trainwreck.

I figured it was just a dating sim of the Tokimeki Memorial model where you could be playing the field but getting a bad reputation with someone would get you badmouthed to everyone. Too low of an introduction threshhold and too high of a bomb impact means your only options are FOREVER ALONE and x2 GANTT CHART INTO HAREM COMBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

The whole skill linking thing reminds me of how Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep had a similar mechanic. A lot of manga that takes place in a video game always feels like the writers never played a drat game in their lives, so details like that makes SLF stand out.

Glazius posted:

I figured it was just a dating sim of the Tokimeki Memorial model where you could be playing the field but getting a bad reputation with someone would get you badmouthed to everyone. Too low of an introduction threshhold and too high of a bomb impact means your only options are FOREVER ALONE and x2 GANTT CHART INTO HAREM COMBO.

The volume release actually explains the game. I'll post it when I get a break.