Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Taima posted:

The manga has surprised me, by the way- I just started reading it yesterday. The length of the chapters are extremely impressive. Is it made by a single person? I am stunned that someone is putting out a chapter of this manga every week given how long it is.
The manga is probably made by a couple people. The main artist Ryosoke Fuji and a couple assistants to do grunt work like inking and backgrounds.

The story is based on a web novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The side stories mostly end up being important.

Like Rust girl is the in for the next unique Sunraku is going to be facing with, highly important actually.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh ok that makes so much sense. I don't read much manga, if you can't tell... :) one of the only mangas I actively read is JJK and it's such trash compared to SLF at this point in the story that I feel totally spoiled getting not just long chapters in SLF, but also so much bonus stuff like the explanations of the world and the stats and abilities. It's obvious how much the author loves their work.

AtomikKrab posted:

The side stories mostly end up being important.

Like Rust girl is the in for the next unique Sunraku is going to be facing with, highly important actually.

That is definitely good to know! I mean, she was already instrumental in slaying Lycagon's illusion, which is around where I am in the manga so far. They're now getting onto the boat to slay the octopus, I assume that's where this character will shine the most. I'm actually surprised how quickly they are already going for a kill on the second unique enemy!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Taima posted:

That is definitely good to know! I mean, she was already instrumental in slaying Lycagon's illusion, which is around where I am in the manga so far. They're now getting onto the boat to slay the octopus, I assume that's where this character will shine the most. I'm actually surprised how quickly they are already going for a kill on the second unique enemy!

It was briefly touched on in the anime, but Ctarnidd was supposed to be the first boss players would take down in the game, and follow the chain of clues from that. So in a way they're unknowingly helping direct the game back to it's original course. No guarantees it'll stay that way.

Screwing up dev plans can be SUCH fun. Just ask Maple.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh 100%, that is such a fun part of the story, and SLF pulls it off really well so far, from what I've read/seen.

I remember this anime, can't remember the name, where there is a similar conceit (game developers and you're in some kind of created/virtual world) but the developers were more like... spirits or weird gods, like little bunnies or something? That just had this awful concept and color palette. It was awful.

SLF avoids that by using two major characters to represent the two halves of the game development, which simplifies the whole thing and allows the developers to have personalities too. It's a solid approach.

Overall I think that is the core thing that makes SLF work, it's just so drat solid in every conceivable way, and comes off as so genuine especially in the manga with all the extra content. It feels extremely well considered while simultaneously releasing every week. It's easy to cheer for and appreciate. I was genuinely surprised when I learned that this was a weekly property. I thought for sure, before looking, that it was every 2 weeks or even more.

Another thing that caught me off guard with how much I liked it, is how genders are completely fluid because it's a video game and of course you can be whatever you want. It's almost never mocked and there is never a single thing that can't be accomplished regardless of your avatar. That's cool as hell and a real solid message for younger readers in particular. And it strikes close to home because I've always played female characters for no reason that I can discern, despite being an otherwise completely boring run of the mill straight dude :shrug:

I'm just about to read the part where it looks like the main trio are meeting for the professional game tournament in person, so I guess they'll meet irl??? That's huge

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 1, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

I remember this anime, can't remember the name, where there is a similar conceit (game developers and you're in some kind of created/virtual world) but the developers were more like... spirits or weird gods, like little bunnies or something? That just had this awful concept and color palette. It was awful.

If it's pixie bunnies, you are likely thinking about bofuri.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Omg yes Bofuri! lmao.

Don't get me wrong it didn't ruin my enjoyment or anything but it was just like WHY though

/
If the design wasn't horrific enough they are also fully CGI. It's so bad that I actually feel bad making fun of it because I'm sure they... tried... really hard, or whatever?

Pastel Bunny Poofballs wearing what loosely seem to be... pastel baby pajamas for circus performers... I guess that's what we're doing... here... presumably someone got paid to, you know, make these, I suppose

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 2, 2024

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Taima posted:

Omg yes Bofuri! lmao.

Don't get me wrong it didn't ruin my enjoyment or anything but it was just like WHY though

/
If the design wasn't horrific enough they are also fully CGI. It's so bad that I actually feel bad making fun of it because I'm sure they... tried... really hard, or whatever?

Pastel Bunny Poofballs wearing what loosely seem to be... pastel baby pajamas for circus performers... I guess that's what we're doing... here... presumably someone got paid to, you know, make these, I suppose

That's a quite accurate representation of every gamedev I've ever met, I don't know what the issue is.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

Another thing that caught me off guard with how much I liked it, is how genders are completely fluid because it's a video game and of course you can be whatever you want. It's almost never mocked and there is never a single thing that can't be accomplished regardless of your avatar. That's cool as hell and a real solid message for younger readers in particular. And it strikes close to home because I've always played female characters for no reason that I can discern, despite being an otherwise completely boring run of the mill straight dude :shrug:

While I know partly it was just to keep Sunraku from recognizing Rei as his classmate, I really appreciate that her character is completely decked out with full plate and a 2-handed sword, instead of being something that pandered to the old gross stereotypes.

Also new episode: we get a bit of a breather with the trio of idiots, and then a lead-in to the start of the next arc.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Personally, my favorite example of this show defying gender norms is Pencilgon. She's a violent, poisonous woman who manipulates and murders her way into getting what she wants... and that's not a big deal because it's a loving video game. Just a troll having fun, just one of the bros, dude, relax. But, oh, she's also a big-deal IRL model and beautiful! But... that's not a big deal since it is, again, a video game. People literally make characters that look like her, its mostly just funny. Oh, and also also, her genuine friendship with an NPC pushes her to risk mockery from her genuine gamer bro friends to bring them in for help, driving the entire prior arc.

Seriously, just an outstanding character. Wouldn't change a thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is where I initially thought the double-wide would stop, on the escape scene. It seems like a good place for a dynamic season break, though there are definitely a few things to set up from here.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

This is where I initially thought the double-wide would stop, on the escape scene. It seems like a good place for a dynamic season break, though there are definitely a few things to set up from here.

And I'm pretty sure we still got another 4 episodes left so the train keeps chugging along. Trying to think where the endpoint will be.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

given how it was hyping up lycagon i would expect it to end with that fight although that's farther than i expected it to get, but i suppose they do have four more episodes

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's supposed to be 25 episodes.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Based on what's in the second opening, they're going at least as far as the beginning of Chapter 58. Past that... Hope they keep making it.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah actually the part i mentioned is way later than i remember it being, no chance unless they greatly modify the story

i guess we'll see

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think the second season is going to be heavily focused on two things

Lycagon rematch and the tourney

This means that I think Ctarrnid will be season 3?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
guess it depends on whether it will be another 2 cour order or just 1 cour

and also how slavishly adapted from the manga it wants to be for the next go around

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AtomikKrab posted:

I think the second season is going to be heavily focused on two things

Lycagon rematch and the tourney

This means that I think Ctarrnid will be season 3?

Lycagon rematch is likely the end of the season, tournament will be next season if it ever gets greenlit.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
If the new clan was going to play hockey, would they need a Wolfgang Puck?

THANK YOU! I'M HERE ALL WEEK! TRY THE WINE! YOU GET TO KEEP THE GLASS!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SlowBloke posted:

Lycagon rematch is likely the end of the season, tournament will be next season if it ever gets greenlit.

Impossible. Just actually straight up impossible. Getting to the Lycagon rematch from here is almost literally as long as the entire show thus far. For Manga reference, Lycagon rematch starts in chapter 83. And it doesn't even end until 94. We're at the end of chapter 49 at the end of this episode.

The absolute latest I can imagine it going to is the gold scorpion fight, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended with the big clan meeting or getting the magic visor thing

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 3, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Supremezero posted:

Impossible. Just actually straight up impossible. Getting to the Lycagon rematch from here is almost literally as long as the entire show thus far. For Manga reference, Lycagon rematch starts in chapter 83. And it doesn't even end until 94. We're at the end of chapter 49 at the end of this episode.

The absolute latest I can imagine it going to is the gold scorpion fight, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended with the big clan meeting or getting the magic visor thing

I didn't say the end of the fight, just that the event would be a nice cutoff point. There are still three episode to fill for this season and I remember only grind/filler inbetween weathemon and lycagon 2 that could be done swiftly. A second season would have to include the lycagon fight and the tournament, which would be doable with the same number of episodes of s1, but no way in hell to get to ctarnid in without cutting the two main arcs.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 3, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

I didn't say the end of the fight, just that the event would be a nice cutoff point. There are still three episode to fill for this season and I remember only grind/filler inbetween weathemon and lycagon 2 that could be done swiftly. A second season would have to include the lycagon fight and the tournament, which would be doable with the same number of episodes of s1, but no way in hell to get to ctarnid in without cutting the two main arcs.

Ctarnid would be a good season 3

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Supremezero posted:

We're partly through 49 right now, and we have 4 episodes left. We've not really cut anything from the manga, and OP shows some of the stuff from chapters 51-53. However we won't get to the character featured prominently in the OP until 58.

I'm going to guess it ends at the end of chapter 58, because that last panel makes a great cliffhanger for a season 2. The big clan meeting is chapter 63, so I feel like that'd be a good thing to have early in Season 2 to help recap Season 1.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Coaaab posted:

guess it depends on whether it will be another 2 cour order or just 1 cour

and also how slavishly adapted from the manga it wants to be for the next go around

We better be getting another 2 cour season, damnit!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
What a fantastic SLF Mini we got this week.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Nemo2342 posted:

What a fantastic SLF Mini we got this week.

Truly there is no escape

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I'm all for the upcoming shenanigans Sunraku is going to go through with the area you shouldn't adventure in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Vorpal Bunny Don't Blow Your Cover By Talking In Public Challenge (difficulty: impossible)

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I'm not really giving anything away when I say I've read the manga and those costumes are only going to get worse. :holy:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is this how he gets cloths now?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Should've called it the Bunny Buster instead of the Rabbit Gun imo

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
This episode provided the perfect summary of the show:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Must be weird to be an NPC trying to come to grips with your average MMO player's attitude to pain, death, and respawns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the worst vrmmo stories are the ones where npcs don't already know. the players have to constantly hide and/or explain what is going on with them. it's always very tedious and dumb.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i'm gonna miss this show so much :(

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

mikeycp posted:

There is a manga you can read along with.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
if i read a comic i don't tend to watch it when it's adapted though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mikeycp posted:

I feel like there's no way this doesn't get a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I certainly hope so, but there's no way to be sure.