Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't play video games so if someone can explain what a "realistic full dive VR MMO" would be like compared to what Shangri la Frontier is showing us that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

Real MMOs trace their origins back to RPGs, so being good at them is some combination of 1) knowing the right abilities/spells to use 2) building your character in specific ways and 3) hitting your buttons fast enough.

Additionally these games will have finite development time and resources, so there are going to be a lot of constraints on how you can interact with the world that will further limit the ways your characters can be good at the game. For instance, you can't throw a fireball at your feet to propel yourself upwards in World of Warcraft, or duck a monster's swing to let it damage another enemy in Final Fantasy 14.

Fantasy MMOs (especially the VR ones) tend to throw out all the restrictions that should be in a game, and instead claim that the game models the real world to such an exacting degree that you can do anything you can think of. That's because it's way more interesting as a casual viewer to see the protagonist pull off crazy off-the-cuff ideas than to watch them perform the same set of abilities in a specific order for 10 minutes.

trucutru posted:

But since that kind of combat would be really loving boring to watch and SLF is set in the future anyways the company behind the game has built a fast paced action game with almost unlimited freedom that is also massively multiplayer.

Why should those restrictions/limitations be present in a game that literally processes what you're thinking into actions?

Guyver fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 25, 2023

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You could probably have better reflexes in magic future VR because human reaction time's bottleneck is the eye's ability to send information to the brain not your ability to process it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Taima posted:

It is possible that JJK has made my expectations for battles way too high.

More studios should actively try to kill their animators.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They thought it would take a decade because he's supposed to be like the fourth or fifth beaten. The story in the game moves every time any unique monster gets defeated.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm sorry to say but video games have poisoned your brain.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Taima posted:

The manga has surprised me, by the way- I just started reading it yesterday. The length of the chapters are extremely impressive. Is it made by a single person? I am stunned that someone is putting out a chapter of this manga every week given how long it is.
The manga is probably made by a couple people. The main artist Ryosoke Fuji and a couple assistants to do grunt work like inking and backgrounds.

The story is based on a web novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's supposed to be 25 episodes.