Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
lmao I cannot loving believe that we are still technically fighting this dude through to next week

This is a FOUR episode fight. That is approaching the length of an actual movie just fighting one dude.

Though, to be fair the narrative structure dictates that the fight will be over near the beginning of next episode (likely involving the pendant saving Sunraku from death) and then we'll probably get most or all of the aftermath then.

I honestly can't decide if this is epic or the biggest episode pad in modern history. I love the show, and am trending towards it being Epic, but I kind of feel like the animation and dynamics in this fight should be a level or 2 higher considering that this is basically a movie, feature-length encounter. It's fine though, and the episode went very quick and was super fun.

It is possible that JJK has made my expectations for battles way too high.

Haystack posted:

And I LOVE it.

I'm mostly trending that way too- I think it's going to be really awesome when the show can be binged. I'm just amazed we're a month into this fight.

Actually more because of the break, like 5 or 6 weeks? lol

Is this anime 24 episodes in this cour/season?

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Great episode and the SLF Theater was amazing too. And oh man the super high quality shading on Emul in the pre-intro was so smooth. I have to admit, I didn't love the concept of a rabbit sidekick at first, but Emul completely won me over. Sunraku-san! Sunraku-san! Daijoubu!

What really struck me (and I'm kind of amazed no one has talked about it) is how this episode felt like an entirely different anime, was it directed by a different director or something?

The animation, art, shading, angles and perspective shots... they went so all-out for this episode that it almost felt out of place!!

If they could maintain that level of shading, art and direction for every episode it would be out of this world, but that's ok- I have really enjoyed this anime and I'm looking forward to seeing the loot they get.

Kinda wondering if I should just read the manga after this season is over...

AtomikKrab posted:

The pacing was honestly impressive, not to short given the level of the enemy in weight of the story, not overly drawn out either. Given that Kirin was effectively a second major battle, 4 episodes was a very good amount and really showed off Wethermon's move's in the detail that those attacks needed.

I don't know how much I can cosign on a 4 episode boss fight being "impressive pacing" but it was very fun and now I am ready to get moving on more story, to say the least. More Emul please

AtomikKrab posted:

If you notice the ID fragment actually caused him to switch to secret hard mode. This is now an achievement run done on maximum difficulty. Probably without it he would have just timed out and collapsed or something, but the ID fragment has caused his spirit to awaken and now you actually have to kill his rear end

That's interesting, I didn't notice that- do they get anything for doing the Hard Mode?

If I understand right they just defeated the hardest boss anyone has ever fought, a class of enemy which no one has killed before now. And on top of it they did it on hard mode. The Loot Factor is off the charts.

I hope the other party members get their own awesome bunny companion or something equally dope considering all they've accomplished. If they aren't sporting the best loot in the game something is seriously broken with their drop system.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 13, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Doodles posted:

PHAT LEWTS

Did they even show the loot or explain it at all? I was waiting all episode. This was a fun one but seriously, this show's ability to not get to the loving point is unparalleled, lol

Like everyone, I've seen more than my share of anime padding but this poo poo is next level. We are literally like 7 episodes into this fight including prep and the final death, and we don't even KNOW THE LOOT

I'm giving this show a pass because I really do think it's wonderful but if this show gripped me even 10% less I would seriously consider dropping it. Then Emul says SUNRAKU SAN SUKRAKU SAN! and it's like... poo poo. I'm in.

I'll keep watching and will read the manga after. I just wish that the episodes were longer or something to account for how long doing literally everything takes and how much is just stop motion dialog over looped animations or just a mostly static drawing. I'm curious if you guys agree because sometimes I am mesmerized by how actions and narrative threads that would take 10 minutes in many animes take like 3 episodes in this one.

e: and for the record, the way everyone is studiously ignoring the loving loot of the first unique monster ever killed in the game, is so unrealistic it makes me want to drop the show lol. This show is supposedly about MMO behavior and expectations. The actual nanosecond that loot dropped, it's all anyone would be thinking about, period, in a real game. Ow, my immersion :( hopefully there just wasn't loot, or something, because that's the only way any of this makes sense.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 18, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ah ok, that's good to know. Just curious- are you implying that the loot for this boss won't be addressed anytime soon?

If so, that's ok. I can recalibrate my expectations. I just thought an important aspect of the show was its authenticity re: MMO behaviors and tropes.

If the loot doesn't matter then the loot doesn't matter. I am along for the ride and despite my gripes, will finish out and will read the manga as long as yall think the manga is good.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't understand why this shiw does this to people. It's meticulously gone over every other aspect of the game. It's clearly just more interested in the character bits and fallout that's more immediately pressing than going over loot at this second.

You're complaining about padding and asking for it to stuff in more stuff where it doesn't need to go.

I'm not sure how to respond to this as you're just kind of saying I shouldn't/can't have an opinion, but thank you for responding, cheers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

I am absolutely mystified that people are hung up on them not checking loot immediately.

People exist who have played mmo games, so this reads as immediately unrealistic. You kill a boss mob of this almost unprecedented magnitude, you are checking the loot an attosecond later, period.

Anyways can I ask a manga question? I’m at the part where he cops gilta brille and Sunraku says he doesn’t have the level to use it, then the very next chapter he… uses it? What am I missing here?

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 29, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks to both of you!

AtomikKrab posted:

The missing stat is like the hp stat which is granted by armor. So he... buys the waist armor he was showing off so he has enough to use it.

Ah ok, I see what happened here, it's a little "in the weeds" but:

1) obtains Gilta but thinks he can't use it due to the VIT requirement
2) he realizes that the HEAD item he got from unlocking the armor has enough VIT for him to use it, so he does on the area boss with the support beams.
3) then AFTER that, he gets the waist item, so that he can equip Gilta WITHOUT having the head item, if I'm understanding correctly.

Turns out it was just nerd minutae that confused me in the moment, but makes sense on re-read. As an aside, I love the weapon creativity on display here but Gilta is designed rather strangely, with the big side crystals jutting out almost as far as the scorpion pincer. So idk how the weapon is supposed to pierce with two crystals straddling it, but I'm just being intentionally unreasonable at this point. It doesn't really matter how it looks

The manga has surprised me, by the way- I just started reading it yesterday. The length of the chapters are extremely impressive. Is it made by a single person? I am stunned that someone is putting out a chapter of this manga every week given how long it is.

Overall this manga has been loving awesome, the only thing I am iffy on is the cut away from the manga to focus on side stories, like spending several chapters playing the mech game with Rust. I get it, I guess, it's clear that she is very important to the story, but given that this is 1 chapter a week, the mecha battles took several weeks of real time, which would have probably annoyed me.

Where I am now they just fought Lyca for the second time and are I guess going to a gaming tournament, so I guess we'll have another quasi-break away from SLF for another while. Hopefully it works better than the mechs for me (I think it will because them meeting in real life feels somewhat important-ish).

I'm nowhere near caught up so I am going to give these side stories the benefit of the doubt for now.

Overall I have been absolutely loving the anime and despite that one thing, the manga has been so, SO good. Happy to enjoy with yall <3

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh ok that makes so much sense. I don't read much manga, if you can't tell... :) one of the only mangas I actively read is JJK and it's such trash compared to SLF at this point in the story that I feel totally spoiled getting not just long chapters in SLF, but also so much bonus stuff like the explanations of the world and the stats and abilities. It's obvious how much the author loves their work.

AtomikKrab posted:

The side stories mostly end up being important.

Like Rust girl is the in for the next unique Sunraku is going to be facing with, highly important actually.

That is definitely good to know! I mean, she was already instrumental in slaying Lycagon's illusion, which is around where I am in the manga so far. They're now getting onto the boat to slay the octopus, I assume that's where this character will shine the most. I'm actually surprised how quickly they are already going for a kill on the second unique enemy!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh 100%, that is such a fun part of the story, and SLF pulls it off really well so far, from what I've read/seen.

I remember this anime, can't remember the name, where there is a similar conceit (game developers and you're in some kind of created/virtual world) but the developers were more like... spirits or weird gods, like little bunnies or something? That just had this awful concept and color palette. It was awful.

SLF avoids that by using two major characters to represent the two halves of the game development, which simplifies the whole thing and allows the developers to have personalities too. It's a solid approach.

Overall I think that is the core thing that makes SLF work, it's just so drat solid in every conceivable way, and comes off as so genuine especially in the manga with all the extra content. It feels extremely well considered while simultaneously releasing every week. It's easy to cheer for and appreciate. I was genuinely surprised when I learned that this was a weekly property. I thought for sure, before looking, that it was every 2 weeks or even more.

Another thing that caught me off guard with how much I liked it, is how genders are completely fluid because it's a video game and of course you can be whatever you want. It's almost never mocked and there is never a single thing that can't be accomplished regardless of your avatar. That's cool as hell and a real solid message for younger readers in particular. And it strikes close to home because I've always played female characters for no reason that I can discern, despite being an otherwise completely boring run of the mill straight dude :shrug:

I'm just about to read the part where it looks like the main trio are meeting for the professional game tournament in person, so I guess they'll meet irl??? That's huge

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 1, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Omg yes Bofuri! lmao.

Don't get me wrong it didn't ruin my enjoyment or anything but it was just like WHY though

/
If the design wasn't horrific enough they are also fully CGI. It's so bad that I actually feel bad making fun of it because I'm sure they... tried... really hard, or whatever?

Pastel Bunny Poofballs wearing what loosely seem to be... pastel baby pajamas for circus performers... I guess that's what we're doing... here... presumably someone got paid to, you know, make these, I suppose

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You may prefer the manga to the show.

The show is amazing. Don't get me wrong. And it's fantastic to see it get the treatment it deserves. But the manga is REALLY great and reads extremely well.

In contrast, the show can be a little slow and spends a huge amount of its runtime explaining things that are a lot more elegant in manga form.

Having read both I feel like it's totally ok to read this manga and then go appreciate the anime for its strengths too, because they are both good in different ways.