Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
In case anyone else wants it, there's a full-length lyric video (flashing lights warning) for the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Finally we start getting some quality Emul time. And I really dig that background music that started up when they were talking about Pencilgon.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Patware posted:

never read the novel or the manga. this show's cool but i do hope more of the cast starts arriving soon

We should just about be at the end of Sunraku being mostly solo; after this he'll spend more time working with other people.

Also, here's an 8-bit remix of the OP if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GrZrCgvw6o

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm glad they've spent no expense on showing just how extra Emul can be.

And I'm still really digging the incidental music.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I really appreciate how this adaption is expanding on Rei's POV.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

latest episode is up,

Mia Still pointing the bow, still absolutely perfect EVERY TIME

I appreciate that they keep this going.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
They're really letting Rei shine in this adaption and I am loving it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Going through the manga again to check on some stuff that was in today's episode, and now I'm giddy to see what they'll do with chapter 28 when Sunraku goes back to that kusoge fighting game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

taiyoko posted:

I know at this point of the story, the most likely reason Sunraku doesn't want to risk Emil dying is because she's the link to all his unique Rabituza stuff, but i hope that it eventually becomes more that he likes her as a character and that's why he doesn't want her to die. I'm also wondering what boss bunny gonna think about Sunraku and the others' plan, since Emil ran off so suddenly to tell him...

Even though we periodically get a "wow these NPCs are so lifelike" line from Sunraku when he meets someone new, at no point does he ever treat NPCs any differently than he does fellow players. I don't think "I need Emul to live so I can continue my unique quest" really factors into his decision making process.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Some A+ reactions in today's episode. Won't be long now before the big fight happens.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

rodney mullenkamp posted:

maybe you could link to the channel they're on, because searching for things on the internet is dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFNZzbQ8tVI is the closest thing I can find (it's a cour 2 preview).

Also a shorts page: https://www.youtube.com/@TV-kt7jx/shorts

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

I don't play video games so if someone can explain what a "realistic full dive VR MMO" would be like compared to what Shangri la Frontier is showing us that would be great.

Real MMOs trace their origins back to RPGs, so being good at them is some combination of 1) knowing the right abilities/spells to use 2) building your character in specific ways and 3) hitting your buttons fast enough.

Additionally these games will have finite development time and resources, so there are going to be a lot of constraints on how you can interact with the world that will further limit the ways your characters can be good at the game. For instance, you can't throw a fireball at your feet to propel yourself upwards in World of Warcraft, or duck a monster's swing to let it damage another enemy in Final Fantasy 14.

Fantasy MMOs (especially the VR ones) tend to throw out all the restrictions that should be in a game, and instead claim that the game models the real world to such an exacting degree that you can do anything you can think of. That's because it's way more interesting as a casual viewer to see the protagonist pull off crazy off-the-cuff ideas than to watch them perform the same set of abilities in a specific order for 10 minutes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
And we're back.

New OP still goes hard, and we got some more quality rabbit content this week.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Doodles posted:

Elke is so sweet, she'll sell you the clothes off her back. Wait, reverse that. She'll sell you your own clothes. And tell you it's on a discount. Loved it when Sunraku started imitating her speech patterns.

So now we have
Emul
Vysache
PEATZ
Beelach
and Elke.

We still haven't met the king(?) of Rabituza. I wonder if that will be this season?

I wouldn't count on it we've yet to see him in the manga.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
New episode!

Mia continues to own; so glad they keep using her as a running gag.
The deal with Orcelott and Pencilgon being siblings appears to be new material that wasn't in the manga (though maybe it was in the WN?)
Weazamon fight looks like it's going to be pretty drat good.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

I do appreciate the running gag they've got going with Mia.

And hey, they finally made it to the fireworks factory. I like how Pencilgon's big gambit also cut off the one place Asura Kai was expecting to run, didn't catch that detail on the first read.

The manga doesn’t make that as explicit as the anime does. After Pencilgon watches the raid on Asura Kai start it shifts focus to the Tombguard fight until that is completely resolved.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I love how they're managing to keep up with the series' humor during this battle.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Hello new dumb hat and goodbye new dumb hat.

bean mom posted:

i raided in a top 100 guild for nearly a decade and this was pretty much how progression content always went, especially in the vanilla days before the developers decided to make things much more painless

This episode definitely shows that the author has put in their time with progression groups. Every one of these idiots feels very familiar to me.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

I honestly can't decide if this is epic or the biggest episode pad in modern history.

To be fair, this fight is very true to the manga. It’s a ton of chapters spent on just this fight.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
What a fantastic episode; I especially loved the music going on during the Kirin fight. Just a very satisfying fight all around.

Also another great SLF mini poor Rei just cannot win, even against herself.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I keep rewatching it, and I just love how the stadium rock kicks in right as Pencilgon kills herself to replace her arm.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Just like every raid I've ever been in, someone in the group just has to make jokes while the ending cutscene plays.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Loot chat:

We're currently like 95% through chapter 45, which ends volume 5. The loot gets revealed in chapter 47, so we've possibly got 1 more episode to wait depending on how they want to organize things.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Reading some of the comments and reviews in other sites especially ANN make me laugh my rear end off with all of theorizing about the game being some kind of real actual world when it's in all likelihood the chuuni adult woman child CEO's fanfic turned into a game.

Having only read the manga, it's tough to really call it for sure. On the one hand, we have seen/will see the devs and know that there's some human elements here. On the other hand we're also dealing with magical NPCs who act like real people and die permanently. I would be entirely unsurprised to find out that the game is somehow tapping into another world.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Yes.

Possible. I'm thinking Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds might be at play here. I'm part of the discord and could ask, but would rather not be spoiled since I have accidentally seen some already.

Yeah I'm so deep into the manga at this point that I kind of don't want to mess with any WN spoilers.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

New Chapter is out for those that know where to look.

We finally meet Psyger-100 Momo Saiga IRL

What a delightful update.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Finally some loot.

Also an S-tier episode for dumb faces.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

cant cook creole bream posted:

Those stupid idiot developers are great.
They were legitimately anticipating that people would battle this secret superboss for the next decade without making any headway and only progress the game's story line once that is finished. I think it's a complete coincidence that this game turned out great, rather than being a complete trash game. Or maybe it's just the good PR?

They definitely remind me of some people I used to code with back when I worked on MUDs. "What do you mean it's not fair that my super-special quest NPC can one-shot players in a game with limited lives? They should just do the quest perfectly on a blind run."

As for the story progress, it seems that the story-line dev wanted them to tackle the superbosses in a very specific order, but players are being players and getting fixated on the wrong boss (Schwarzer Wolf) or keeping the boss secret so they can use it to farm xp (Ashura Kai).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

Another thing that caught me off guard with how much I liked it, is how genders are completely fluid because it's a video game and of course you can be whatever you want. It's almost never mocked and there is never a single thing that can't be accomplished regardless of your avatar. That's cool as hell and a real solid message for younger readers in particular. And it strikes close to home because I've always played female characters for no reason that I can discern, despite being an otherwise completely boring run of the mill straight dude :shrug:

While I know partly it was just to keep Sunraku from recognizing Rei as his classmate, I really appreciate that her character is completely decked out with full plate and a 2-handed sword, instead of being something that pandered to the old gross stereotypes.

Also new episode: we get a bit of a breather with the trio of idiots, and then a lead-in to the start of the next arc.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Supremezero posted:

Impossible. Just actually straight up impossible. Getting to the Lycagon rematch from here is almost literally as long as the entire show thus far. For Manga reference, Lycagon rematch starts in chapter 83. And it doesn't even end until 94. We're at the end of chapter 49 at the end of this episode.

The absolute latest I can imagine it going to is the gold scorpion fight, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended with the big clan meeting or getting the magic visor thing

We're partly through 49 right now, and we have 4 episodes left. We've not really cut anything from the manga, and OP shows some of the stuff from chapters 51-53. However we won't get to the character featured prominently in the OP until 58.

I'm going to guess it ends at the end of chapter 58, because that last panel makes a great cliffhanger for a season 2. The big clan meeting is chapter 63, so I feel like that'd be a good thing to have early in Season 2 to help recap Season 1.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
What a fantastic SLF Mini we got this week.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
This episode provided the perfect summary of the show:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mikeycp posted:

if i read a comic i don't tend to watch it when it's adapted though

For me, it depends on the show and how stacked the season is. If it's a really excellent manga I'm more than happy to go through the story again, especially if it's something like SLF that has multi-chapter action scenes.

More middling mangas I'll prefer to read rather than watch, since they're unlikely to get the budget to produce anything really good.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mikeycp posted:

Where does the manga live? I've been solely in the sj app bubble long enough I don't know what sites even exist anymore

I believe it is published on https://kmanga.kodansha.com/ and the volume releases can be purchased from the usual places like Amazon. Mangadex has up through chapter 132 when people stopped fan translating it, and of course there are aggregator sites where people upload the chapters taken from kmanga.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Lots of loving around and finding out today. I'm sad there's only one more episode to go.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
We definitely nailed the ending by introducing two over-the-top characters in the final episode.

And hell yeah, Season 2!

Nemo2342 posted:

We're partly through 49 right now, and we have 4 episodes left. We've not really cut anything from the manga, and OP shows some of the stuff from chapters 51-53. However we won't get to the character featured prominently in the OP until 58.

I'm going to guess it ends at the end of chapter 58, because that last panel makes a great cliffhanger for a season 2. The big clan meeting is chapter 63, so I feel like that'd be a good thing to have early in Season 2 to help recap Season 1.

Called it:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

My prediction, we end things just before the tourney arc and that's the hook for the next season.

I think that's the safest bet. We did 58 chapters in 25 episodes, but another 58 chapters would put us 1 chapter into volume 13 and it's kind of an awkward place to stop. Chapter 110 is a good stopping spot if you want to devote all of season 3 to the 3rd arc, though going to 115 will end the volume and give everyone an idea of just what season 3 would be about (for better or for worse).

Season 3 is going to be rough though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

New Chapter is out if you know where to look.

This week's chapter gives us a smidge more progress.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Besides the...actually you know what, Inwas gonna say something about Rust being one of my favorite characters, but everyone in this series is my favorite character. Asking me to pick one over the other is like asking me to pick which is of my dinos in ARK I love the most when I love them all equally.

Edit - There's being a bro, then there's Kei levels of being a bro.

I'm sure it's all part of his plan to recruit Sunraku into being a pro-gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
New update! Looks like it's time to see some more VR games, because we had too much plot recently.