Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love that the discussion got more and more serious about this shirtless bird guy and his talking rabbit friend. Everything really is more fun if you take it seriously.

Also I can't believe I didn't get the name "Arthur Pencilgon" until it was revealed that they used to go by "Pencil Knight"

Can you explain the joke to me. Like first name is clearly a Arthur Pendragon reference with Pencil in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

amigolupus posted:

I appreciate Sunraku's bit of self-reflection in this episode. Just playing trash games may have honed his reaction time and focus to a crazy degree, but it's also made him a bit complacent about taking losses when faced with a true challenge because he knows he'd just respawn from a checkpoint anyway.

And I dunno why Sunraku's so mad about not getting loot from this quest. The rabbit choker giving him several levels with 2.5x stat points earned is the best treasure to be had. :v:

Now he does not have the choker.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is this a reference to something or a specific artstyle? I've seen this kind of stylization multiple times in different animes.

Jojo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I also assume it introduces them to the proper plot and some starter quests.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is also the only Superboss that's feasible for him to fight.

It's gets stronger depending on Party Size so the fewer needed to fight him the better, It auto saps your levels so being at the level cap does not matter. From Pencilgon's experience given that her main allies don't want to try and actually beat the boss, Relying on people she knows and that are good at this type of game is the best move.

Also Sunraku is getting better at the game via having mechanics he missed explained to him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

taiyoko posted:

I'm hoping that they at least got some sweet unique loot out of this on top of the buckets of xp.

I don’t think Pencilgon will benefit from any EXP she was already max level I recall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Meme Emulator posted:

Didn’t this happen in EverQuest with an boss that was supposed to be unkillable until a server event happened

Unbeatable Bosses for a time have been in many MMOs.

I recall C’thun in WoW was one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah he sounds a lot like a Shangri Lab Unique (Minus that they sound like they are ultimately supposed to be beatable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

doomrider7 posted:

Reading some of the comments and reviews in other sites especially ANN make me laugh my rear end off with all of theorizing about the game being some kind of real actual world when it's in all likelihood the chuuni adult woman child CEO's fanfic turned into a game.

You mean the writer's story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine the unique monsters become more beatable if you have gear or knowledge from the previous ones in the order. According to extras before Wethermon got his nerf the intended victory path was that everyone in the party fighting him had to parry his final attack, and if any died the party would get wiped.