Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Gotta say, the OP is one hell of a banger. Certainly one of the best this season.

Some of the naming schemes in this game are hilariously bad, like all the town names, but there's a few that are amusing, especially the rabbits. I didn't pick up on Vysache's pun until I hear him pronounce it himself. vicious Ah, how the Japanese love their puns. I was also amused to find out his VA is the same one who's the voice of Batou from Ghost In The Shell. Not sure about Emul's name, since I came up with several possibilities. It's the name of a plant, it's also a common contraction used for "emulsion" and it can always be short for "emulator." Last one seems most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Today's episode should be a delightful fustercluck at the gates of the third town, unless they spend the whole episode with Sunraku fighting that overblown mudskipper.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

doomrider7 posted:

She's the leader of the resident Furry Patrol. Were you expecting anything less?

Yeah... I know my people. If Animalia was ever to find their way to Rabituza permanently, they'd have to hire Arthur Pencilgon and every PKer in the game just to drive 'em off. And don't ask about their fanart.

Watching the forums discussion was hilarious. Pick any thread in Games and you'll find exchanges just like that with every new game that comes out, especially RPGs.

And the two minis with Emul were just... :discourse:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get mochii.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
So she's The Mittani? :holy:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Glazius posted:

Also I appreciate the idea of somebody who cultivates disabling skills for the sole purpose of posing with hostile monsters. That's a dream to chase.

The way she was licking her chops when Emul was in her hands suggests it was something other than posing she wanted to do. :gonk:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
May we all find someone who cares for us enough to take down a PKer with a single hit.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
PEATZ!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
What is the card for? Is it the birthday of Sunraku's voice actor?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Glazius posted:

I do wonder how many times Sunraku has played sportscaster while he was watching all the unskippable cutscenes in all those lovely games.
All of them. I know I would.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

In this case he is justified, he got access to very very valuable information about the game that high ranking people DO in fact want. For different reasons, Animalia just wants dat bunny, but others do want what he's got and he knows it.

Animalia wants the bunny for the same reasons, namely permanent access to Rabbituza. It's what they'll do when they get there that's different.

:ohdear:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Gotta say, that area boss' name was exceptionally appropriate, because he clowned on that spooder.

\/\/\/\/ EDIT: If that had been Kumiko he'd killed, I would have cried like a baby.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 4, 2023

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nemo2342 posted:

Even though we periodically get a "wow these NPCs are so lifelike" line from Sunraku when he meets someone new, at no point does he ever treat NPCs any differently than he does fellow players. I don't think "I need Emul to live so I can continue my unique quest" really factors into his decision making process.

It does and doesn't factor in. The quest isn't necessarily the only way to get at Lycagon, but it's pretty damned obvious that it will be tied into SLFs overall plotline (the game, not the anime) and if it does take Sunraku going through all the other unique monsters first to get to the bitch, he'll do it. It's why he's willing to put up with the quest chain, lovely rewards or no.

As it is, permanent access to an area nobody else can get to and stay (other quests in SLF that lead you to the area only allow you to be there on a temporary basis) is a really valuable resource in any MMO. Just ask an Eve Online addict. Rabbituza includes access to PEATZ! (sorry, I just like the guy), as well as any other unique merchants/services from the area. And brother, you're about to meet a lulu. It's why the PK clan is so zealous about protecting the monster only they have access to. It's their source of easy XP, because trying to do so elsewhere would get them attacked by bounty hunters. Since Emul is the only way Sunraku has to get to Rabbituza, he's going to protect "her" for as long as he can.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Well, Arthur wanted them to grind up, anyway, so he'll likely be able to use them when it comes time.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Watch out for those Rabbit-Eared Shoebills, I tell ya. :gaming:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Considering that the Weazemon fight took a dozen chapters in the manga, it's about to be mighty shonen up in this piece, and if their animation quality holds up then it's going to look spectacular.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
And then the user reviews are giving every episode 4 to 5 starts, because the show is precisely what they want.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Lots of stuff came out today, from the episode and the Mini (Rei's got more issues than a newsstand), to the preview of the second cour's opening and closing songs, but the wackiest has to be the two holiday shorts the studio posted. I don't think links to shorts work with SA's forums, but you can see them if you go to the YT channel for the series.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Just remove "/shorts" and that's the channel page.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Why should he, when the one in Rabbituza is likely to be better.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Who knew Sunraku was a furry?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

doomrider7 posted:

I mean to be fair,

:thunk: Okay, point taken.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Essentially, SLF is a VRJPRG and, from what we've seen so far, akin to what you'd find in FF16 or Xenoblade Chronicles. After 50 years, us cavemen in the present are used to very specific command structures in games (WASD movement, spacebar is jump, left mouse fire/attack, etc.)* and a future player like Sunraku who's been playing games for years will have all the basic controls down perfectly by now. So why is he training in a completely different game? Because of the unexpected.

Even with the foreknowledge of the battle that Arthur's providing, there's a decent chance that something nobody's experienced before will take place, especially as the battle gets close to the end. Think of the times you've been at the final 10-25% of a boss' HP and they suddenly pull an attack out of their rear end that you haven't ever seen before and one-shot's you. Especially for bosses where nobody has ever beaten them. What he's training now is his reaction time to such sudden changeovers. But AI is AI, and no matter what you do you learn those attack patterns to the point where they're second nature to beat.

So who do you fight to practice changing things up? Other players, of course. No matter what you do, there's always some schmuck who figured out a counter to it, or is assing around and makes a sudden discovery. The newbie he's facing off against at the end of the last episode is likely to be fresh meat, but it's also possible he'll try things others may not have and get in a few good shots if not a complete win. And he has to do it in a different game, since doing so in SLF will get him a massive PK flag. (There doesn't appear to be any arena where PVP is allowed. Pity.) It's also a great way to think outside of the box and see if something in BERP gives him an idea to try against Weazemon. Either way, just playing something different but familiar can be a good way to relax after grinding for hours in your chosen game.

*Different for controller players, of course. And most games also let you change controls if the defaults don't match what you like.

Egads, that's a lot of blather. Here: PENIS PENIS PENIS HAMDINGER WOODCHUCK POTATO :holy:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nemo2342 posted:

And we're back.

New OP still goes hard, and we got some more quality rabbit content this week.

Elke is so sweet, she'll sell you the clothes off her back. Wait, reverse that. She'll sell you your own clothes. And tell you it's on a discount. Loved it when Sunraku started imitating her speech patterns.

So now we have
Emul
Vysache
PEATZ
Beelach
and Elke.

We still haven't met the king(?) of Rabituza. I wonder if that will be this season?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
No episode this week, but here's a summary of the series so far in their YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2WzOuhZn2I

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Taima posted:

Is this anime 24 episodes in this cour/season?
25 according to AniChart. One more episode and probably a lot of aftermath from it. Being the first ones in SLF to beat a unique is going to draw a LOT of attention to them.

It was good to see that Emul's gift had a critical effect on the battle. The revelations from Weazemon's utterances show there's tons of backstory yet to uncover.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Awww... They're making him chocolate for Valentine's Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?fIg7xBEFW_E

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Looking forward to the most important part of the raid:

PHAT LEWTS :dogcited:

Now if this was an Ubisoft game, it'd be a slightly better weapon that you can buy a dozen different skins for at $20 a pop. :ubisoft:

And WB would charge $40. :shibe:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
"Who would have dreamed the core development staff would be fighting like preschoolers?"

John Carmack. :smug:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Something I just thought of:

Mentioning Weathermon to Emul triggered a reaction from her and Vysache. I'm surprised Sunraku didn't think to ask them about Bahaumut. Maybe he'll do that later, but I'd have brought it up as soon as I could.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The studio did a little presentation for kids at a shopping mall back in January and this is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyv6bXqJ_6Y

Corny as hell, but... I want a Sunraku headband, too.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Glazius posted:

Well, Sunraku already knows there's a fetch quest between him and "learning the truth of this world". More questions would probably just bounce.
Possibly, but he didn't know what mentioning Wethermon to Emul would trigger so I'd have expected him to give it a shot to check for these things now that he knows they happen. I'd have also mentioned that Setsuna called Emul "a child of Cinderella." Maybe he'd get a glass slipper. :mario:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That's fair. I still see people unaware that there's a second map for it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Taima posted:

That is definitely good to know! I mean, she was already instrumental in slaying Lycagon's illusion, which is around where I am in the manga so far. They're now getting onto the boat to slay the octopus, I assume that's where this character will shine the most. I'm actually surprised how quickly they are already going for a kill on the second unique enemy!

It was briefly touched on in the anime, but Ctarnidd was supposed to be the first boss players would take down in the game, and follow the chain of clues from that. So in a way they're unknowingly helping direct the game back to it's original course. No guarantees it'll stay that way.

Screwing up dev plans can be SUCH fun. Just ask Maple.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Based on what's in the second opening, they're going at least as far as the beginning of Chapter 58. Past that... Hope they keep making it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
If the new clan was going to play hockey, would they need a Wolfgang Puck?

THANK YOU! I'M HERE ALL WEEK! TRY THE WINE! YOU GET TO KEEP THE GLASS!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I'm not really giving anything away when I say I've read the manga and those costumes are only going to get worse. :holy:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I certainly hope so, but there's no way to be sure.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Yes, read the manga, because if for some misbegotten reason they don't do more cours, you'll miss out on getting to meet two of my favorite characters in the series who will be in the coming story arc.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I do hope they get to do more seasons. So many things I'd like to see animated:

The 2nd fight with Lycagon
Emul's brother Ceecrue and his PC ninja friend
and of course, A-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-AMEESE!!! :syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Be a tad silly if they don't, considering they show The Prof in the opening credits.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)