Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Coaaab posted:

watched ep 1 when it premiered, and then blitzed through the manga in two days afterwards and then peeked at some of the ~900 chapter webnovel. if the anime maintains a healthy production schedule, it'll end up being a really cool series about the vicarious thrill of watching some guy be better than you me at video games

If he inspired Let Me Solo Her(web novel predates Elden Ring), I should hope he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

I've binged the manga, considered the webnovel but decided to wait for the manga to get there. I am ENJOYING the anime but I think they could up the pace a little bit,

I am a huge fan of our friendly shoot first, ask questions later archer newbie

No idea if they appear more in the WN, but I really hope they become recurring characters.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

To be clear, I wasn't saying he did, just noting down the obvious parallel - naked dude in funny headgear outplays the game's biggest challenges. If you found something that says so, feel free to share, but most of what I found links Let me solo her's aesthetic to a meme series of Dark Souls 3 videos with a similar vibe.

LOLMAO. Was expecting either him or Lost my Sanity's Pale Man series.. There's also people like Prod who often wears the most absurd possible headpiece he can find(unless his face is over the top ridiculous). I was just making a statement that if he possibly inspired one of modern gamings greatest folk hero's, he really should be as good as implied.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

CrazySalamander posted:

This is great. I’m tired of everything having to be the fate of the world/galaxy/universe. Just people being happy playing video games.

Also I love the sky in this anime. It was great how it was accentuated in the big fight this episode, but I like how they put effort into it no matter what scene it is.

I 100% agree and I think it's an overall issue with the "greater fandom" where a series has to have "tension, stakes, drama, etc" for it to be good or worthy of existing instead of just being cool or relaxing stuff with little in the way of those things.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's exactly one (1) girl in the entire world that likes sunraku romantically and she's kind of weird.

To be fair, that's kind of obligatory.

Nemo2342 posted:

Finally we start getting some quality Emul time. And I really dig that background music that started up when they were talking about Pencilgon.

Lot of comments on Emul being super cute and adorable as well as comments requesting to be stepped on by Pencilgon. Katzo's voice was super to me and jothing like I envisioned.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

Watching the show in English as well now that there are dubs, its hitting pretty good in English

How far up is it?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

the absolutely INTENSE desire from Animalia, it's loving perfect

She's the leader of the resident Furry Patrol. Were you expecting anything less?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

This show is fun and quite pretty, but yeah, those episodes feel like they pass by in an instant. Maybe it's better to wait until the end of the season and binge them at once.
I do like Emul, I had worries she might be an annoying mascot character, but she's genuinely delightful.

Wait til you meet her many siblings

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

Latest episode is absolutely loving lit.

Also I stan for Mia and drawing her bow at other players.

Some day we will read about her legendary PK exploits.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Here's the best description for Pencilgon I've found.

quote:

And so the anime community is introduced to Pencilgon, the woman whose background story involved her being such a video game supervillain that she literally became the final boss of Rust.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

I love how they give the throne room door to Pencil Knight a fog door effect. It's like, everybody knows what it's supposed to be.

Also I appreciate the idea of somebody who cultivates disabling skills for the sole purpose of posing with hostile monsters. That's a dream to chase.

It does also make for a really good build in general if you think about it. All of those status effects hitting at once is gonna down ANYONE.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

The way she was licking her chops when Emul was in her hands suggests it was something other than posing she wanted to do. :gonk:
She's just happy to see Emul.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 9, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

I really appreciate how this adaption is expanding on Rei's POV.

Agreed. I could already infer she was in Judo, but it's actually nice to actually see it expanded upon.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

Some real good Sunraku faces this episode. I love how by the end, he was completely brainblasted but insisting he's got the Download Complete bit that FGC players like to joke about.

The official manga has some end of volume stories written and the Epic of the Toxic Eagle was one of them. It's exactly as epic as it sounds.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

What is the card for? Is it the birthday of Sunraku's voice actor?

It's the characters canon B-day.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

I appreciate Sunraku's bit of self-reflection in this episode. Just playing trash games may have honed his reaction time and focus to a crazy degree, but it's also made him a bit complacent about taking losses when faced with a true challenge because he knows he'd just respawn from a checkpoint anyway.

And I dunno why Sunraku's so mad about not getting loot from this quest. The rabbit choker giving him several levels with 2.5x stat points earned is the best treasure to be had. :v:

He only went up like 2-4 levels if even that. The title DOES come with some great benefits though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

Unique monsters are valuable development resources, given that you get a chunk of encounter XP just for showing up to lose. Since they haven't even all been encountered yet, it's worth chasing after anything that seems new.

Not to mention Lycagon is special since it seems to be the only roaming one that can appear anywhere at any time. Knowing it's next spawn location or even having a hint can be a huge piece of info to setup ambushes either for it or for PvP.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I thought about that too. I suppose there would have to be a lot of separate servers? But then it would have been even more impossible for Saiga and the others to cyberstalk Sunraku.
The more this progresses the more he learns that deep down, all games are trash games!

It might be like Ark where one group can fight a boss at a time(though that has several servers as well). Could be a combo of the world being MASSIVE and servers being location based(city x gets server y and so on).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

The dynamic between Sunraku, Pencilgon and Oicazzo is amazing. The casual level of trolling and poo poo-talking between friends is the most realistic part of this show.

Though I'm sad that the SLF Theater didn't go into what the dating sim was like. The game wanting you to micromanage every second you spend with the datable characters or else they'd all pack their bags to study how to make pizzas in Italy sounds like an amazing trainwreck.

The whole skill linking thing reminds me of how Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep had a similar mechanic. A lot of manga that takes place in a video game always feels like the writers never played a drat game in their lives, so details like that makes SLF stand out.

Glazius posted:

I figured it was just a dating sim of the Tokimeki Memorial model where you could be playing the field but getting a bad reputation with someone would get you badmouthed to everyone. Too low of an introduction threshhold and too high of a bomb impact means your only options are FOREVER ALONE and x2 GANTT CHART INTO HAREM COMBO.

The volume release actually explains the game. I'll post it when I get a break.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Found it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I can't help but enjoy the ANN reviews for this series for unintentionally hilarious they are. It's like they picked the person least knowledgeable on videogames and videogame culture to review a series all about that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

rodney mullenkamp posted:

maybe you could link to the channel they're on, because searching for things on the internet is dead

And sometimes it's hard if it's in Japanese.

Edit: It just now occurred to me that Rei is just like Kou from Wotakoi. Both are insanely awkward gamer girls who have little to no interpersonal skills with their crushes and suffer all of the cringe.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 24, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lamebot posted:

Makes sense because the titular game in this series looks like it was conceived by someone who's only had second hand exposure to video games. Like someone had to make a fake video game that was the focus of an SVU episode.

I dunno, pretty much everything seen and done in the series including the titular game has a real life equivalent in real life and the writer being enough of a Turbo Gamer that they wanted to buy Armored Core 6 on the company dollar as a business expense. Ditto for taking numerous breaks that coincided with the releases of BotW, Elden Ring, TotK, Armored Core, and several other games.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Episode 13 Illustration

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Emul and Sunraku are getting married.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

Who knew Sunraku was a furry?

I mean to be fair,

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

Honestly I wish we'd get more behind-the-scenes stuff at the game company.

Yeah they kind of skipped that. There was supposed to be a scene of the head dev gloating how no ines beaten any of the bosses. It might've been moved though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Supremezero posted:

Pretty sure that's just Vysache.

Nah, Emul mentions a brother who rules Rabituza as king. We have no real idea what Vysache's role in Rabituza is.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

claw game handjob posted:

I'm a little behind, but the US release adds a "bonus chapter" of what's clearly WN at the end of each volume, and they do cover Pencilgon's sibling, so it seems like that might just be something excised until relevant in adaptation.

Which one is this? I think I missed it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

If you notice the ID fragment actually caused him to switch to secret hard mode. This is now an achievement run done on maximum difficulty. Probably without it he would have just timed out and collapsed or something, but the ID fragment has caused his spirit to awaken and now you actually have to kill his rear end

The ID tag doesn't actually do anything of note except trigger some lore dialog from him not too disimilar from how wearing the Captains Hat vs King Ikana triggers dialog in Majora's Mask or completing the Deathroot Questline in Elden Ring. And yeah like Sindai said, the fight spanned like 2 volumes worth of manga on the fight alone not counting the aftermath.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 4, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlowBloke posted:

A very long time ago, there were gaming mags that didn't act as a paid for advert to activision or EA. I remember getting MMO stuff news and tips on paperback when i was a kid.

Same. I remember getting strats and guides from old Nintendo Power and EGM for bosses and areas way back in the day.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Taima posted:

Great episode and the SLF Theater was amazing too. And oh man the super high quality shading on Emul in the pre-intro was so smooth. I have to admit, I didn't love the concept of a rabbit sidekick at first, but Emul completely won me over. Sunraku-san! Sunraku-san! Daijoubu!

What really struck me (and I'm kind of amazed no one has talked about it) is how this episode felt like an entirely different anime, was it directed by a different director or something?

The animation, art, shading, angles and perspective shots... they went so all-out for this episode that it almost felt out of place!!

If they could maintain that level of shading, art and direction for every episode it would be out of this world, but that's ok- I have really enjoyed this anime and I'm looking forward to seeing the loot they get.

Kinda wondering if I should just read the manga after this season is over...

I don't know how much I can cosign on a 4 episode boss fight being "impressive pacing" but it was very fun and now I am ready to get moving on more story, to say the least. More Emul please

That's interesting, I didn't notice that- do they get anything for doing the Hard Mode?

If I understand right they just defeated the hardest boss anyone has ever fought, a class of enemy which no one has killed before now. And on top of it they did it on hard mode. The Loot Factor is off the charts.

I hope the other party members get their own awesome bunny companion or something equally dope considering all they've accomplished. If they aren't sporting the best loot in the game something is seriously broken with their drop system.

Best part, the VA's actually got married recently!

And yeah the quality was VERY extra for this whole battle, but ESPECIALLY this episode and yes you should pick the manga up and read it from the start since some volumes actually include little side bits of info and trivia not shown in the series(other poo poo games Sunraku has played, item and lore explanations, character bios, etc).

The pendant...actually doesn't do anything exactly as stated. It doesn't unlock any secret hard mode it just makes Wethermon realise he's fighting someone who's made contact with "The Divinity" or someone familiar with that time. It's like the Deathroot quest and Maliketh.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Setsuna of the Bygone Days and Wethermon the Tomb Guardian(with Sunraku and co in an unseen corner)

https://twitter.com/hiroyuki_taiga/status/1756848055327023455?t=KGMMlj_x-PDeXjbuuhp7SQ&s=19

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomisland posted:

theyve been dragging the show out the entire boss battle why stop now

I mean I disagree since the fight both looked awesome and felt well paced and It was long as hell in the anime too.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

claw game handjob posted:

A couple are based on some volume extras (like the "interview" with Pencilgon) but I think the majority are original.

The one where he picks up a poo poo game is also partially based on another as well except he actually DOES have to fight a horde of other Kusoge Hunters. The best ones are still the one about the idol who's friends with Pencilgon and the origin story of the Professor.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Reading some of the comments and reviews in other sites especially ANN make me laugh my rear end off with all of theorizing about the game being some kind of real actual world when it's in all likelihood the chuuni adult woman child CEO's fanfic turned into a game.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

You mean the writer's story?

Yes.

Nemo2342 posted:

Having only read the manga, it's tough to really call it for sure. On the one hand, we have seen/will see the devs and know that there's some human elements here. On the other hand we're also dealing with magical NPCs who act like real people and die permanently. I would be entirely unsurprised to find out that the game is somehow tapping into another world.

Possible. I'm thinking Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds might be at play here. I'm part of the discord and could ask, but would rather not be spoiled since I have accidentally seen some already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

Yeah I'm so deep into the manga at this point that I kind of don't want to mess with any WN spoilers.

New Chapter is out for those that know where to look.

We finally meet Psyger-100 Momo Saiga IRL