Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, one of the endearing things about SLF is that the author has clearly played a lot of MMOs and knows what makes them interesting. For example, a lot of authors would be tempted to add some melodrama to this current fight to up the stakes. Instead, it's just a lady with a dumb pun name getting over-invested in the lore, and relying on her idiot friends to tank good. It'd be fun thing to do in a real MMO, and it's a fun thing to watch in SLF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

And I LOVE it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I mean, the production clearly decided to go for a quality over quantity approach to the main runtime, filling the dead air with all the minis. But they've paced it pretty well around that limitation. I didn't care that the fight took four episodes because each episode was really loving cool in its own right.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Personally, my favorite example of this show defying gender norms is Pencilgon. She's a violent, poisonous woman who manipulates and murders her way into getting what she wants... and that's not a big deal because it's a loving video game. Just a troll having fun, just one of the bros, dude, relax. But, oh, she's also a big-deal IRL model and beautiful! But... that's not a big deal since it is, again, a video game. People literally make characters that look like her, its mostly just funny. Oh, and also also, her genuine friendship with an NPC pushes her to risk mockery from her genuine gamer bro friends to bring them in for help, driving the entire prior arc.

Seriously, just an outstanding character. Wouldn't change a thing.