Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Romo has sucked rear end for the vast majority of his time as a commentator. He's got a phlegmy voice and once the novelty of him identifying route and defensive concepts wore off I'll take anyone over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like Kenny Albert

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i dont like tirico because he will also cover tennis and then is just awful at that

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
for my sins, I’ll take Peyton Manning shaking his head and grimacing out “get rid of the BALL” on ESPN 2 over just about any usual commentating

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Peyton's the most relatable because he acts like most fans do when they're watching their lovely QB in action

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Soul Glo posted:

for my sins, I’ll take Peyton Manning shaking his head and grimacing out “get rid of the BALL” on ESPN 2 over just about any usual commentating
The Manningcast is the absolute best when it's both brothers disgustedly watching lovely QB play. It seems to offend them on a personal level.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't mind Collinsworth

*ducks*

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Collinsworth is possibly the worst flavor of folksy announcer I've ever heard, it's incredibly tedious to listen to and makes anything but the best SNF games a chore to watch with him droning in the background

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think we all have guys that infuriate us for whatever reason. I'll take Collinsworth droning on about nonsense a hundred times before suffering through Joe Buck personally

At least he gets excited

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Honestly as much as I've loved him in the past Al Michaels is currently my least favorite active announcer, he's made the worst, most boring and aimless possible calls on a bunch of major Jaguars game-winning plays several times in the last couple years

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I mostly missed the worst of Joe Buck, so his modern announcing persona is entertaining in that strange anti-charisma way without all the baggage shadowing it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think Buck has definitely taken the criticism to heart and tried to emote lately so I'll give him that

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The337th posted:

Collinsworth is possibly the worst flavor of folksy announcer I've ever heard, it's incredibly tedious to listen to and makes anything but the best SNF games a chore to watch with him droning in the background

Him fluffing Tyson Bagent and saying stuff like how he could teach Fields a thing or two about leadership was extremely gross

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Good loving riddance to McDaniels

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

MrQwerty posted:

Rest in piss

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The337th posted:

He's got worse right? I remember kind of liking him back in like ~2010, a fondness you'd have for a dork uncle.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

He's got worse right? I remember kind of liking him back in like ~2010, a fondness you'd have for a dork uncle.

Colinsworth has absolutely gotten worse.

I get that he’s just trying to keep the casual fan engaged, or keep people watching if it’s looking like a blowout. But he doesn’t even try anymore.

/chuckling

“I mean, Patrick Mahomes. Ya know?”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Collinsworth said this word for word on a nationally televised game: “How about a little taste of Landon Dickerson … coming right down your throat.”

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

BlindSite posted:

I like Kenny Albert

Kenny Albert, Siriugasa and i forget who the 3rd member of that team was, were always my favorite trio and every year they were voted among the worst announcing teams on Awful Announcing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

syzpid posted:

Kenny Albert, Siriugasa and i forget who the 3rd member of that team was, were always my favorite trio and every year they were voted among the worst announcing teams on Awful Announcing.

Kenny moose and goose

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, Kenny, Moose, and Goose I thought were fine when they were together.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

MrQwerty posted:

No worries he'll land on his feet in another HC gig soon

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The real game is to see who wants a new head coach in 2025.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Collinsworth said this word for word on a nationally televised game: “How about a little taste of Landon Dickerson … coming right down your throat.”

that's good

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

indigi posted:

that's good

I agree 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yX9bw2TrkQ

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Greg Olsen is underrated as a broadcaster. Roughly as much as he was underrated as a player.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

Greg Olsen is underrated as a broadcaster. Roughly as much as he was underrated as a player.

Never got this hype. He's fine but not remarkable IMO.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The list of "remarkable" announcers is like two

Kevin Harlan
Another person who isn't Kevin Harlan

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My day does get a little better when I hear Kevin Harlan announcing, just on the off chance he spots an animal or a fan running on the field

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

fsif posted:

Never got this hype. He's fine but not remarkable IMO.

This is literally the bar to clear to put him in the upper tiers

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

kiimo posted:

The list of "remarkable" announcers is like two

Kevin Harlan
Another person who isn't Kevin Harlan

Mike Breen

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My hot take is that NFL announcing has gotten extremely good in the past decade, to the point where there's very few people I'd consider actively bad. Even guys I used to hate, like Mark Schlereth, is now oddly charming as an old-school meathead.

To put it another way, I do not miss the days of Phil Simms/Dan Dierdorf/Joe Theismann making GBS threads up my TV every Sunday.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’m convinced that Phil Simms era was just to put old people to sleep so they’d wake up during sixty minutes and never change the channel.

Steelers grinding out some 12-3 win against the bengals while phil struggled to talk and oh look it’s leslie stahl.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Benne posted:

My hot take is that NFL announcing has gotten extremely good in the past decade, to the point where there's very few people I'd consider actively bad. Even guys I used to hate, like Mark Schlereth, is now oddly charming as an old-school meathead.

To put it another way, I do not miss the days of Phil Simms/Dan Dierdorf/Joe Theismann making GBS threads up my TV every Sunday.
I generally agree with this. Moose Johnston is another one I'd put in the Schlereth category.

The problems seem to be with the higher profile guys (Collinsworth, Romo) who have devolved into a drunken Madden parody. Maybe that was the issue too with color commentators back in Madden's era who were trying to keep up. There will only ever be one John Madden.

Also I have to bring up Kornheiser and Dennis Miller as to how bad things were for a minute. I mean really you could wave your hands at ESPN/ABC for the better part of 2 decades. Absolutely dire.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

shyduck posted:

Also I have to bring up Kornheiser and Dennis Miller as to how bad things were for a minute. I mean really you could wave your hands at ESPN/ABC for the better part of 2 decades. Absolutely dire.

Weird that I can’t find the clip of an inebriated Christian slater not giving a gently caress at all as a celebrity guest on MNF.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Replace all commentators with sound bites of John Madden

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When ESPN had SNF in the 90s (which used to be the throwaway game before NBC bought it), their announcing crew was warm dogshit.

Theismann, Paul Maguire, Mike Patrick of "what is Britney doing with her life" fame. Just putrid television.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Weird that I can’t find the clip of an inebriated Christian slater not giving a gently caress at all as a celebrity guest on MNF.
An Awful Announcing article I found from 10 years ago said the Mouse had clips wiped from Youtube

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

shyduck posted:

An Awful Announcing article I found from 10 years ago said the Mouse had clips wiped from Youtube

Lol, meanwhile Eminem’s college moment in the sun remains up

https://youtu.be/B9PCJqgfR3I?si=CHJoLmYPtkHRW2rI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

My day does get a little better when I hear Kevin Harlan announcing, just on the off chance he spots an animal or a fan running on the field

in the early 90s he announced a fight that broke out and it was amazing.

There's a left! There's a right! Now there's BEER on the fight!