Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Age only kinda matters but takes a huge backseat to pissing off agents and players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I think Bo Nix being aged like a fine wine is better because he's more mature and likelier to respond positively to Sean Payton's horrific machinations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think he's going to have like 70% accuracy in Payton's system that he set up for Russ sucking rear end and everyone will finally realize the QB accuracy stat doesn't matter

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
For QBs I care less about age and more about like total live game reps and time on task

Burrow was older but only really had two years of actual starts and followed the normal curve of QB development once he got playing time.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Doltos posted:

I think he's going to have like 70% accuracy in Payton's system that he set up for Russ sucking rear end and everyone will finally realize the QB accuracy stat doesn't matter
I just read this article: https://theathletic.com/5448295/2024/04/26/broncos-bo-nix-sean-payton/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=12901618

This bit specifically gets me curious:

quote:

Some things about Nix stood out immediately. His completion rate of 77.45 percent last season set an FBS record. The offense at Oregon called for a healthy diet of bubble screens and other throws near the line of scrimmage that allowed playmakers to operate in space. So Payton and Broncos general manager George Paton directed the team’s analytics staff to build a model that removed those short throws from the data set of every quarterback in the class. When the numbers bounced back — Payton didn’t share exact filters of the search — they showed Nix at or near the top of the class in efficiency with intermediate and deep routes.

I know there are tools out there - is this something we can replicate to see what he's seeing, if it's bullshit or not?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's not bullshit, but it's misleading.

He like Mac Jones and other college QBs have absurdly high "efficiency" deep and intermediate because he just never tries to loving throw it if it's not WAO.

I think he took like probably close to 40-45% less deep/intermediate shots than everyone but JJ McCarthy.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 26, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

He like Mac Jones and other college QBs have absurdly high "efficiency" deep and intermediate because he just never tries to loving throw it if it's not WAO.

Thank you. I felt something was off about that but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Dexo posted:

I think he took like probably close to 40-45% less deep/intermediate shots than everyone but JJ McCarthy.

Yeah, a pundit yesterday was lauding his accuracy and talking about how he broke Mac Jones record for college accuracy, without any reflection on how Mac Jones NFL career is going lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Doltos posted:

Quinyon stuff

That's a great showing in 1 on 1s for that drill even in the videos you posted. It's totally normal for wide receivers to cook DBs in such an unfair drill, but he only had a few reps where he really got lost, two in each video I would say. That was a nice performance overall imo.

More than that though, you see the traits. The fluidity, the quick plant and drive, the ability to get his head around and jump out of the gym to play the ball. The ability to disrupt routes with physicality. And most importantly the ability to recover from a bad position with agility and speed.

Granted, a few days of coaching is not going to teach someone press man technique and you can clearly tell he's not used to it. Even in the off coverage he normally plays he has some bad habits, and I was laughing at that speed turn like two yards from the line of scrimmage in one of those drills, pretty goofy. His propensity to open up early and do tons of speed turns is minorly concerning.

Press man is less common than ever though (although press zone less so perhaps), and even so I think he can learn it and perform well because everything you need to do that, he has. He's a truly special athlete.

Then you look at his performance in the game and it was really good. No cornerback is going to win every time, whether in drills or game action. Ignore the voice over if you like, but this guy is pretty good at his evaluation actually. Overall I loved what I saw from him, despite definitely needing some improvement/coaching in certain areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j58CXvCd-k

I like Terrion a whole lot too, don't get me wrong. I just really really like true speed in my cornerbacks, to match up against these insanely fast wide receivers we have in the league. I like guys who can flip their hips/plant and drive in an instant, I like guys with fast feet, and I like guys who can frequently put themselves in a position to make a play on the ball and who get their heads around to find it. To me, he has all that at a pretty high level.

Even given all that, I can acknowledge that Terrion could be a better fit in some schemes. Overall though, I'm putting my money on Mitchell and Wiggins to be the best corners from this class. It'll be fun to see how right or wrong I am

Play fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 26, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's why despite footwork laziness from time to time I love Drake Maye, his brain is wired right to be a potentially elite QB in the NFL.

He scrambles to throw, he takes deep shots to questionably covered receivers(and was doing it until Tez returned to marginal talent) and protects the ball on those throws still. His actual throwing motion is good, so you don't have to gently caress with that, you just have to fix his lower half.

And even then he was accurate on high volume intermediate and deep shots.(His misses were very ugly tho lmao). With those footwork and timing problems.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

That's a great showing in 1 on 1s for that drill even in the videos you posted. It's totally normal for wide receivers to cook DBs in such an unfair drill, but he only had a few reps where he really got lost, two in each video I would say. That was a nice performance overall imo.

More than that though, you see the traits. The fluidity, the quick plant and drive, the ability to get his head around and jump out of the gym to play the ball. The ability to disrupt routes with physicality. And most importantly the ability to recover from a bad position with agility and speed.

Granted, a few days of coaching is not going to teach someone press man technique and you can clearly tell he's not used to it. Even in the off coverage he normally plays he has some bad habits, and I was laughing at that speed turn like two yards from the line of scrimmage in one of those drills, pretty goofy. His propensity to open up early and do tons of speed turns is minorly concerning.

If I read everything you just said I wouldn't conclude with 'absolutely dominated the senior bowl'.

The athleticism is all there but he didn't disrupt any plays and his physicality was pass interference. He also had to keep recovering from bad positions, which is bad. It's concerning that he doesn't have any clue at what WR's intent is at their break. He bites way too hard on Rice's head fakes and is way behind on several pedestrian breaks to the inside. I'd say that he'd be a complete liability if he's used in man coverage. I really don't understand the love for the guy outside of the athleticism.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

Yeah, a pundit yesterday was lauding his accuracy and talking about how he broke Mac Jones record for college accuracy, without any reflection on how Mac Jones NFL career is going lol

Not saying the reasoning is wrong, but one wonders how Jones's career would be going if 1) he weren't a cheap shotting prick and 2) Matt Patricia hadn't been involved.

Only throwing down the field when it's wide rear end open might be an improvement over only throwing over the middle if it's an outlet to Samaje Perine. But "better than Russ and Stidham at least" doesn't win a lot of playoff games so Payton had better be right about his mental acuity.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

If I read everything you just said I wouldn't conclude with 'absolutely dominated the senior bowl'.

The athleticism is all there but he didn't disrupt any plays and his physicality was pass interference. He also had to keep recovering from bad positions, which is bad. It's concerning that he doesn't have any clue at what WR's intent is at their break. He bites way too hard on Rice's head fakes and is way behind on several pedestrian breaks to the inside. I'd say that he'd be a complete liability if he's used in man coverage. I really don't understand the love for the guy outside of the athleticism.

Can't say I grind Toledo tape, but the only draftnik I can find who is as low on Mitchell as you are is the dumbest Eagles beat reporter

I wanted Arnold personally so check back in 3 years

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I find that most philly fans are insanely stupid homers so I'm assuming the dumbest draftnik for the Eagles is probably the one who disagrees with them

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
I'm glad the Chargers didn't let Herbie have a nuclear WR. The rest of the division is grateful.

I guess the Raiders are running a 12 personal base offense!

Most mocks have us addressing O-line in the 2nd which sounds about right.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Alright, you caught me using some hyperbole but he performed very well in the senior bowl drills, extremely well in the game itself, and yes his athleticism and consistent ability to be close to the receiver and in a position to contest the catch (and then doing so with his head turned around) is what I love about him. As well as his physical traits and the way he moves. There is an element of projection it's true, he has things to learn, but the traits are all there and traits have resulted in the some of the best cornerbacks in recent history. Even apparent reaches at taller, faster, more athletic corners have tended to turn out positively recently. L'Jarius Sneed, Tariq Woolen, Jamel Dean, and probably some others I can't remember right now were all project guys with great traits.

I also don't agree that he committed any PI in that game, in general he's excellent at contesting catches and being physical without fouling.

It's funny, I remember you and I had a similar disagreement over Sauce Gardner vs Derek Stingley with my being for Sauce and you for Stingley. In the end both of those guys turned into very good players, I'd probably argue that Sauce is a bit better but it's close enough that it doesn't really matter. So I'll try to remember this and we can circle back in a year or two and see who had it right.

solarjetman posted:

Not saying the reasoning is wrong, but one wonders how Jones's career would be going if 1) he weren't a cheap shotting prick and 2) Matt Patricia hadn't been involved.

Only throwing down the field when it's wide rear end open might be an improvement over only throwing over the middle if it's an outlet to Samaje Perine. But "better than Russ and Stidham at least" doesn't win a lot of playoff games so Payton had better be right about his mental acuity.

I don't think Jones was ever going to be very good. Extremely limited athletically, extremely limited in arm talent, and not nearly as accurate or as good a processor as he has sometimes been made out to be. He was the only reason I was happy the niners drafted Trey Lance, just because they DIDN'T draft him. Obviously that didn't work out either, but that's how much I disliked Mac Jones as a prospect.

That being said, yes, he could perform adequately with a good enough team around him. Which is true of almost any professional quarterback.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dexo posted:

McCarthy was taking more of those shots on third and long. Michigan ran on first and second down so much and they were good at grinding it out, but they were predictable and sometimes they got stuffed. So McCarthy wasn't throwing much, but when he did it was third and long and everyone in the stadium knew it was going to be a pass and he had to throw it even it the receiver was not wide open. McCarthy actually had plenty of attempts on third and long. (McCarthy had 49, Penix had 60, Maye 53, Nix 46, Caleb 44, and Daniels only 29). What he didn't have was a normal number of attempts on first down, or on second and short.

McCarthy's success converting third and long was by far the best in this class. 55% converted to a first down. Nobody else was above 38%. McCarthy also had by far the highest QB rating on third and long, and by far the highest percentage of passes completed while scrambling. This was why the analytics guys started getting hot for him despite the low usage numbers.

I don't know what McCarthy is, but probably isn't Mac Jones 2.0. Nix, on the other hand....

predicto fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 26, 2024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/WestsideFetti/status/1783923174263947372

I love the Legette pick a lot more now that I know he's Carolina Boomhauer

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Every single one of the first round QBs at the very least have better traits than Mac Jones. I'm sure one or two (or more) will be busts, but really all of them are better prospects than Mac Jones ever was. Even Nix.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

The falcons must be playing some 4D chess where they plan to trade a QB to another team mid-season for big picks or whatever IDK.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Fat Jesus posted:

The falcons must be playing some 4D chess where they plan to trade a QB to another team mid-season for big picks or whatever IDK.
They’re gonna trade Qirk back to the Vikings, of course.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Albert Breer is reporting that Penix was the third QB on the Falcons board, which like...I know they leaked that as a "look how high we were on him!" detail, but to me it makes the move even funnier? It's not like he was their top guy and they simply had to prioritize talent over team needs, which would be a very strange evaluation but hey, I guess you gotta listen to your scouts.

Instead the Falcons were like "Holy poo poo, QB3 fell into our laps...this is a once-in-a-generation opportunity that we absolutely have to leap on, because there's no other way we'll be able to get ourselves back into this position during Cousins's tenure"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Albert Breer is reporting that Penix was the third QB on the Falcons board, which like...I know they leaked that as a "look how high we were on him!" detail, but to me it makes the move even funnier? It's not like he was their top guy and they simply had to prioritize talent over team needs, which would be a very strange evaluation but hey, I guess you gotta listen to your scouts.

Instead the Falcons were like "Holy poo poo, QB3 fell into our laps...this is a once-in-a-generation opportunity that we absolutely have to leap on, because there's no other way we'll be able to get ourselves back into this position during Cousins's tenure"

QB3 in this draft really is unique to most drafts, I believe that. I think this draft will result in more full time starters than we've seen from a single draft in a LONG time.

I'm guessing they liked Williams, Maye, then Penix just based on what it seems they were looking for.

But yeah, it definitely is a bit funny. Still I appreciate their candor.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I think it will be the same as usual. One or two functional qbs taking into account that Caleb will bust because he was drafted by the bears.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Has there been a faster combine 40 duo than Hollywood/worthy? Sweet Jesus who needs an offensive line when all you need is 2-3 seconds to huck a ball down field.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think it will be the same as usual. One or two functional qbs taking into account that Caleb will bust because he was drafted by the bears.

Two would still be more than normal right?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say three, at least half of these first round QBs will get a starting contract after their rookie deals end.

No matter what happens it'll be great for fans, it's always so fun to see new prospects at qb, one of my favorite things about watching this sport.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Crunkjuice posted:

Has there been a faster combine 40 duo than Hollywood/worthy? Sweet Jesus who needs an offensive line when all you need is 2-3 seconds to huck a ball down field.

The ol Miami method eh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

predicto posted:

McCarthy was taking more of those shots on third and long. Michigan ran on first and second down so much and they were good at grinding it out, but they were predictable and sometimes they got stuffed. So McCarthy wasn't throwing much, but when he did it was third and long and everyone in the stadium knew it was going to be a pass and he had to throw it even it the receiver was not wide open. McCarthy actually had plenty of attempts on third and long. (McCarthy had 49, Penix had 60, Maye 53, Nix 46, Caleb 44, and Daniels only 29). What he didn't have was a normal number of attempts on first down, or on second and short.

McCarthy's success converting third and long was by far the best in this class. 55% converted to a first down. Nobody else was above 38%. McCarthy also had by far the highest QB rating on third and long, and by far the highest percentage of passes completed while scrambling. This was why the analytics guys started getting hot for him despite the low usage numbers.

I don't know what McCarthy is, but probably isn't Mac Jones 2.0. Nix, on the other hand....

I wasn't saying any of that.

I just said it to show how few attempts Nix had.

I should have used percentage of total attempts but figured shorthand would be fine. As JJ had low counting totals

JJ as a percentage is far better and not Mac Jonesque

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

xbilkis posted:

The Broncos also said Bo Nix was their QB3 and they were the team faking trading up to 10 in order to force the Vikings to trade up.

Why? Who knows. Only the Jets gained on that one.

https://twitter.com/dailybroncos/status/1783916378015035773?s=46

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Broncos also said Bo Nix was their QB3 and they were the team faking trading up to 10 in order to force the Vikings to trade up.

Then puppet master defense for picking bo nix

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

wandler20 posted:

I'm gonna guess the Bills end up with Keon Coleman. He'd be fun with Josh Allen.

:smug:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diva Cupcake posted:

Bo Nix is absolutely nobody's QB3

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

"Tricking" a team you would only play every 3-4ish years (and not this year) to give extra picks to a team you are playing this year (and many other years) seems like a very bad decision making process.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hey that doesn't mean it was a good decision. but dammit you were right

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Gully Foyle posted:

"Tricking" a team you would only play every 3-4ish years (and not this year) to give extra picks to a team you are playing this year (and many other years) seems like a very bad decision making process.

Who cares its the Jets lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

spending a number 12 overall pick on a third string quarterback is what's known as going "bears mode"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

spending a number 12 overall pick on a third string quarterback is what's known as going "bears mode"

yeah I wish we could've fleeced the Panthers too but not everyone is so lucky

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

When Bo Nix gives you guys a frp next year you can trade it and let some team pick like Quinn Ewers or some poo poo.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It’s really breathtaking how the Panthers secured franchise QBs for both Chicago and Houston while botching their own QB choice all with one trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Docjowles posted:

It’s really breathtaking how the Panthers secured franchise QBs for both Chicago and Houston while botching their own QB choice all with one trade.

Bears gotta build Tepper a statue at their new stadium