Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Best From game imo, bummer that nothing has matched how good the sword combat feels in this game. The aggressive pacing and mechanics was way more my vibe than how avoidant their other games can be in comparison.

It's one of those games where surviving a duel by the skin of your teeth having pulled every dirty trick you can think of, or completely trouncing your opponent who can't even touch you are both incredibly satisfying and cathartic.

That said, clowning on the young lord from the very start of the game multiple times till his final defeat is a very special kind of heaven :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harold Halibut this adventure game is a hidden gem. It was so good, I loved the characters, environments, soundtrack, and art style. Its made entirely in stop motion, every character and object rendered in the game is real, and it just looks amazing. If you have Game Pass, absolutely do not miss this game. Its a 10 - 12 hour game that is well paced.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Harold Halibut this adventure game is a hidden gem. It was so good, I loved the characters, environments, soundtrack, and art style. Its made entirely in stop motion, every character and object rendered in the game is real, and it just looks amazing. If you have Game Pass, absolutely do not miss this game. Its a 10 - 12 hour game that is well paced.

Completely agree. Without spoiling anything, I also appreciated how "normal" everything was, with major plot points consistently subverting expectations.

That said, you must go into it expecting very low interactivity to enjoy it.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Just finished Pentiment and really loved it. Felt a small dip in interest after starting Act 3 but pushed through and felt it ultimately stuck the landing and was a great and very unique experience. Perfect game for the Steamdeck, too. I think my biggest accomplishment was getting the blacksmith to marry and have kids? Was reading on reddit that there's a ton of failure states to it that I completely side stepped by never speaking negatively about Andreas' marriage to him. Though maybe it was as simple as just encouraging him to go find his true love.

I could see myself doing another playthrough in a year or two, feel like it's best that I forget as many details about the story and town, though I really hope I remember to enable and max out big head mode on a second go around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pentiment is so loving good, I played through it multiple times and the different things that can crop up in the final mural continually surprised me.

:lol:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Replayed Sin & Punishment for the thousandth time. Rare example of a perfect video game; the gameplay is incredibly solid, the levels are constantly varied and packed full of little nuances and bits of interactivity, the graphics look great and are visually clear even at the busiest times, the soundtrack is full of good songs, and even the story is perfectly suited to a short score attack game, with its media res narrative that makes more sense every time you watch it. Everything comes together into a single package so perfectly, I genuinely can’t think of a single thing that would improve it. It’s just a densely packed hour of flawless design.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Snake Maze posted:

Replayed Sin & Punishment for the thousandth time. Rare example of a perfect video game; the gameplay is incredibly solid, the levels are constantly varied and packed full of little nuances and bits of interactivity, the graphics look great and are visually clear even at the busiest times, the soundtrack is full of good songs, and even the story is perfectly suited to a short score attack game, with its media res narrative that makes more sense every time you watch it. Everything comes together into a single package so perfectly, I genuinely can’t think of a single thing that would improve it. It’s just a densely packed hour of flawless design.

The old earth will die soon, killed by the very people it fed.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Jerusalem posted:

Pentiment is so loving good, I played through it multiple times and the different things that can crop up in the final mural continually surprised me.

:lol:
Aw man, that's way better than the one I got where he just got married lol

I think the only mural portion I was genuinely bummed about was Vacslav being burned at the stake, really enjoyed his conversation in Act 3.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i beat a couple short and sweet lil games recently

children of the sun - good, and very cool, but ultimately i think the incredible premise is a little bit wasted on what ends up being a lot of trial and error gameplay. i think the game could have done many more cool things with it. and the story was, idk, what the gently caress happened? who cares? zzz

it's good but the kind of game that's like a 7/10 but with a 12/10 premise. zooming around as a sniper's bullet is, in fact, cooler than hell.

yellow taxi goes vroom - very good. i really liked the way the taxi controlled and the way you're constantly trying to exploit the geometry of the level to make these massive jumps into a brake backflip to try and reach lots of seemingly unreachable areas. i thought the levels were generally really fun and the dev clearly knows how to pack a million collectibles into every corner of the map, with every ramp or stairs or hill leading to something. the levels were also really cool - the city levels in particular were a standout for me.

furi - really good up until the very last twist which kinda makes the plot boring in retrospect. i wish they would have never explained anything and just kept it weird and vague and abstract. we don't need to know.

the gameplay is super fun though, it's a bullet hell/character action/boss rush game and imo the game really nails the flavour and design of the bosses. there's a couple of weird things like the i-frames of the dash not being instant but that just means you need to play a bit more deliberately. a lot of the bosses are hard but you get several retries per boss phase, and you restock retries when you beat a phase, so i managed to first try a few of them once i got the mechanics under my belt. some of the other ones took a lot more tries, including the very last boss who is ridiculous. nice game. fun way to spend a lazy holiday afternoon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eiyuden Chronicle you eventually get a character that lets you control the battle music during combat.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I just 100% Gone Home. Funnily, I finish 8 of the 10 achievements almost a decade ago when it come out, but something came up (and playing this game fell to the waist-side). Now I finally manage to finish the speedrunning and developer commentary achievement.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just beat Withering Rooms, which has a thread here. Really good and weird survival horror rpg with light roguelite elements and a fascinating vibe/story. Deserves more attention for sure.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Played through Botany Manor today and it was a joy. Quick game that I finished in a couple sessions on the same day. Fun puzzles, nothing too hard that I needed to use the internet to help solve tho. Bright and crisp graphics and a nice story that doesn't try to overshadow the gameplay. Played it on Gamepass and definitely recommend to anyone that likes Puzzle games or plants.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just beat Hollow Knight after bouncing off it years ago, getting 87% completion. I'm really glad I stuck with it! I love a good metroidvania but for whatever reason the combat didn't click with me before, probably because I didn't play Ducktales as a kid so the unlimited power provided by pogoing hadn't yet been revealed to me.

I'll probably try to find the secret ending that the achievements hint at and maybe finish the Grimm Troupe stuff but it sounds like there's a ton of stuff in the game that's way above my skill level. At the very least I'm ready for Silksong, which is coming any day now... right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Party Boat posted:

I just beat Hollow Knight after bouncing off it years ago, getting 87% completion. I'm really glad I stuck with it! I love a good metroidvania but for whatever reason the combat didn't click with me before, probably because I didn't play Ducktales as a kid so the unlimited power provided by pogoing hadn't yet been revealed to me.

I'll probably try to find the secret ending that the achievements hint at and maybe finish the Grimm Troupe stuff but it sounds like there's a ton of stuff in the game that's way above my skill level. At the very least I'm ready for Silksong, which is coming any day now... right?

They've been waiting for you to finish it, we've all been VERY patient with you! :gonk:

But yeah, game's great, can't wait for Silksong! No. Seriously. I can't wait :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I haven't finished it yet despite putting 35 hours into it way back in 2017 :eyepop: