Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hatebag posted:

right, i was just thinking of how it would work, though. you'd have to remove dendritic connections from billions of neurons from brain cells that are micrometer-scale. thus, tiny robots.
probably a more realistic "cure" would be zygote selection or gene therapy on infants before their brains get all gummed up

The 'cure' is to just put some effort in and be normal and stop trying to be the center of attention and disrupt everyone else because you have to be special. Whenever people talk about a cure they really mean you should just be 'normal'. Sometimes they also mean eugenics or magic pills, but those are just ways to push people to be normal

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

they see autism as something that should be managed or cured, when in reality we are god's chosen people

And while I know this is sarcastic, the flipside of the 'just be normal' approach is the 'autism is a super power and I'm better than other people', which I understand where its coming from but its also toxic in its own way. Its hard to find positive ways to exist with autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

the adhd-autism super combo is powerful but society needs some normal autists to balance things out

I am tired of being so powerful

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ive known too many people, both personally and professionally, who were just complete assholes about being superior. Your sorting system is thorough but impenetrable and you're riddled with trauma, thats not a super power. Professionally I know whatever I ask for will be excessively complete and I'll just need to pare it down a bit. Personally I am loving begging you to leave the spiral notebooks full of optimized solutions at home during board game night because its killing the group. The worst is when someone thinks autism means objective, so they can pick the best strategies without the prejudice of neurotypical social hierarchy. lmao we have own own prejudices and weird rear end social hierarchies.

This is not a rejection of the value of autism (or adhd's) differing perspectives and methods of interactions. I like the way I understand the world, and mostly just wish the world sucked less poo poo and took my perspective into consideration

But lmao at anyone who thinks we should let the autistic engineers run the world

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

is spaz a slur

Its short for spastic, which usually refers to the fidgeting or repetitive self soothing motions a person with autism can make. I wouldnt say its a term loaded with historic weight for isolating and devaluing a person, but its also not a kind word. I'd say its more of an insult than a slur, if that distinction means anything to you.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

For every neurotypical I will have four autisms to compensate

I long to become a robot alien

transhumanism ftw

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I understand this is an extremely autistic thing to make a distinction over, but Ive always thought of slurs as things you say to indicate to someone that you would seriously hurt or kill them if it were socially acceptable while insults are much lesser things. Like pointing a gun at someone versus flicking pebbles at them. Obviously your experiences may vary

E: so, in my experience and in the parts of history I am aware of, calling someone a spaz has never inherently included a threat of violence. But I could be wrong

VVV yeah, different experiences

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Nov 30, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

so is it that being trans makes you autistic or does being autistic being trans because there's way too much overlap for me to think it's coincidence

for evidence see everyone ITT

My wife's done some reading that suggests 'autistic people are less attached to traditional gender norms' but can't come up with a citation for it. Maybe because gender as a social construct relies a lot on neurotypical framing? And maybe if you're less attached to the external social construct it becomes easier to resolve the internal tension? I'm just guessing.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Doctor switched my wife from focalin 3xday to concerta extended release because focalin hasnt been available for months here. She doesnt care for the concerta, its not as effective and she can feel it wearing off as the day goes on. Maybe it builds up with time?

Also shes mad at me because earlier this year I destroyed a felony drug possession's worth of focalin she had built up over the last year from missed doses. Otherwise she could have coasted on her stash for months.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

We had like 30 bottles of various missed doses, some controlled substances. I didn't actually get rid of all of it, just got rid of some of the oldest stuff. She also got better at taking all her pills this year so the stash stopped growing as quickly. She still has about 3 months worth of focalin stashed

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

without her permission?

No, she agreed the pill stockpile was getting to be a bit much. We had a whole shelf filled with bottles. We pared back a bit. She's not really mad at me, more mocking me for ever believing the world wasn't always on the edge of catastrophe. She's more of a doomer than I am.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FirstnameLastname posted:

id fr resent someone for a long-rear end time if i had to go months without effective meds bc they threw em out lol

She never went without meds, that's why we have a stash!

E: we went from well over a thousand to merely several hundred focalin. She hoarded a lot from last year because she was between jobs and, even though we never lost insurance or didn't have income, was worried everything would fall apart forever any day. Cutting back the stockpile was part of dealing with that fear after a few months at her new job

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Dec 22, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

We were fine in Massachusetts until 2 months ago. I wonder if it's from everyone switching their prescription around to whatever is available?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have a full luxurious head of hair that, judging by the men in my family, will last until the day I die, probably from another bout of cancer - again, judging by the men in my family.

But during the lock down phase of the pandemic I skipped getting my hair cut for over a year and it never so much as brushed my shoulders. It just keeps getting bushy and curly and piling up on top of itself. I will never have hair down my back and that makes me a little sad.

I did have to take scissors to keep my hair off my ears though, because I can't stand the feel of hair on or over my ears. It has to be tucked back or it drives me nuts, I can't stop being aware of it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FirstnameLastname posted:

take biotin, your hair will grow like 4x as fast and be healthier and stronger, also fingernails

if you want tips for scissor cuts i can tell u how to make sure it doesn't look like a hackjob & is even and stuff like that

It grows very long, it just gets curlier the longer it gets so it asymptotically approached my shoulders while becoming an increasingly unruly bush. I suppose I could straighten it if I really wanted, but that moves into the realm of too much effort to maintain. Also the hack job I do with scissors is rarely visible because it just gets tucked behind my ear anyways

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

yea i didnt get anyone anything this year, but i feel very guilty about it

I did ask my parents what my young nephew wants and just got that, but beyond that its total paralysis

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

if you have autism you don’t have to care what other people think

I have the wrong kind of autism because Im constantly worried about what other people think and what Ive done to upset them. Maybe its a skill issue? How do I unlock cold indifference?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

that sounds like social anxiety disorder, not autism. sorry

Probably! I can only handle social situations for a few hours before I need to retreat to a quiet place

These tricks suck. Get two and sync them up so they overlap in the middle while spinning, thats a quality trick

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So the problem is that I havent ascended to become a higher being yet. Troubling. I thought it was just bad brain wiring. I will meditate and say some mantras and see how it goes.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

i agonize over every post i make because i don't want to wast anyones time and only make possibly useful comments. but so often i want to just post something dumb or a smiley and i type them and look for a while and then close the window because i am scared that it will seem weird or mean and make anyone unhappy. and then i worry that i should have posted it! i have self esteem and like myself and the stuff i do but i always want to make good vibes posts i just wish i was better at not being nervous all the time. i don't know why that is so difficult.

anyways don't get covid, it's like a hurricane blowing through your mind knocking over all the arranged bookcases of thoughts you had organized and dredges up all the emotional problems you had built up around. also it doesn't seem to happen to everyone so you ask other people if they feel weird and lovely and they're like, nope i feel fine! so you can't even commiserate with them about having problems lol

I'd say :justpost: but I start a lot of replies, decide the comment doesnt add enough to the conversation or that the joke may not be funny enough and then just close the window. Sometimes I hit post anyways and just hope for the best.

Also, if you think getting covid is bad, wait til you have the joy of long covid!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its fine to not burn your self out in pursuit of more money. Do enough to stay alive in reasonable comfort and spend the rest of your hours obsessing about trains or whatever it is that fits your special interest

E: VVV The trick is to drastically lower your standards and not feel bad about it

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Dec 25, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

unwantedplatypus posted:

People who:

- Modify their cars to be louder
- Play extremely loud music in public
- Have their phones at maximum volume at all times

Should be hunted for sport

Death to anyone who had installed big rear end speakers in their cars

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Do you personally apologize to everyone in a forty foot radius for inflicting your dumb bullshit on them everywhere you go?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

May you be driven from the public sphere and made to feel shame as smoking and vaping were

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Just turn your poo poo off *before* you enter a residential area

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I got very lucky to meet my wife out of a mutual friend group, although at the time my friends were trying to set her up with someone else who was better on paper. I don't think I'd survive in the dating app environment. If I had to do it now I think I'd probably disclose ND despite the stereotypes purely because the prospect of explaining myself to others from scratch or helping them come to terms with themselves (because anyone I can get along with in a relationship is also going to be some level of ND, whether they know it or not) just seems exhausting at this point in my life.

Our collective dating experience is a decade out of date now, but one thing to be careful about is anyone who seems to be *too* into all of your interests and idiosyncrasies without any adjustment period. Real interest usually involves a learning curve and likely some friction as your partner has to shed some previous beliefs and develops their own views, or if they were already into something the friction comes as you synthesize your perspectives.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RHase posted:

With hobbies and art for me, the biggest issue has always been when I hit a plateau after starting to improve a good bit or when I feel like I'm not making any progress to begin with, which ends up getting to a point where I just get frustrated with what I'm doing and end up quitting for a while. I love repetition when it comes to things that I feel more confident with, like whenever I learn a new song on keyboard I can play that same song over and over for weeks on end and have a blast doing it each time (especially when it's something that I'm proud to be able to play), or when I was really into baking earlier in the year I loved to make bread in a routine, having a specific one to bake on certain days of the week and never really straying beyond the 3 or so recipes I really liked to do. Even outside creating stuff, I've always been the type of person who loves to listen to the same handful of bands, rewatch the same handful of movies, and replay the same handful of games over and over and over again. Sort of a comfort with familiarity thing, I guess.

I think every ADHD person has the remains of dozens of hobbies they got really into for a few weeks or months then hit a plateau and lost interest in

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Dunno who this is and if you want me to interpret facial expressions you might want to remember I spent my childhood posting

Its from the movie Falling Down, where a white guy becomes increasingly violent and belligerent but blames it on everyone else. At the end of the movie the cops chase him down for crimes and he has a moment of realization that he isnt a lone bastion of decency and humanity standing against the scum of the world, hes actually the bad guy.

Thats his face as he says 'I'm the bad guy?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmuF-0P4tk

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The people you meet at a bar are going to be the kind of people who go to bars to meet people. While theres nothing wrong with that, if you're not a bar kind of person maybe going out with a bar person is not an ideal match?

Consider going out to do things you do like, or things that look interesting, and meet people who inherently share at least one interest?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Meet people who also like basements using the internet

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Saying 'the drugs have made me incredibly normal' but Im so high it comes out in an unintelligible slurred mumble as I piss myself

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The secret to socialization is that most people are only being polite and waiting until they can talk about themselves. If you rehearse a few interesting anecdotes and share just enough to check the 'participation' box everyone else will just forget you exist so they can be the center of attention without the stigma of being the quiet weirdo who never shares. Anyone who approaches you afterwards probably wants to actually listen to you instead of just performing socially obligated small talk

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

Albert Einstein was autistic. Plato was autistic. Da Vinci. Lenin. Tesla. We lowkey run the loving world

*Exactly* like workers run the world under capitalism

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ol sakkman posted:

What the gently caress

Yeah I do see distinct facial parts lol is hyperawareness not an autistic thing tho? Cos I def got that

Being bad at attenuating signals is an autistic thing, yeah. Non autistic people tend to be much better at tuning out or sifting through sensory input, so things like the lights being too bright or someone's keyboard being too loud or a shirt being too scratchy don't bother them as much. They'll notice it if you point it out, but after a few moments they'll go back to being oblivious again while you just have to live with the awareness.

As for eye contact, I can usually focus on some other aspect long enough to fulfill my face to face obligations and most people can't tell. It takes effort though, so I'm on a timer in social situations until I need to eject and find a quiet place. Its like being Darkman except instead of super powered rage I just get tired and cranky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

biggest annoyance about it is that we know they'd be happier if they just allowed us to design the system, they dont actually want to do it, that's why they're so insistent on believing "free market" rhetoric, it absolves them while they get to pretend they're the responsible ones. they'd be freer and happier in an autistic world system.

lmao if you don't understand that letting autistic people run everything leads to technocratic libertarianism. What are laws even for? Surely everyone will make the rational choice according to established economic theory to just oh no the fascists have taken over

You gotta have some people understanders as well as big brained categorizers and organizers or it all falls apart