Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
1. Survive another year at place of employment
2. Spend money on all health issues with no limit for this year out of HSA
3. Max out 401k, After tax -> Roth transfers and HSA transfers for th eyear.
4. Increase personal ratio of (emergency money + investment acct + checking account)/loan of house to 0.4
5. Move finance plans forward with girlfriend

I would like tech to be more stable this year but I don't really have control over that. Instead my goal is to be able to allocate enough investment savings to the house (not paying mortgage early) such that in an emergency I can decrease the size of the mortgage. Especially with an interest rate of 2.5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Life changes or loss of job/revenue stream.

I work in a paritularly high paying industry that may or may not be sustainable and mortgage sizes are quite large to match. I would like the maximal financial freedom to make lifestyle changes while not being restricted by income. As a result, mortgage debt still is a risk. Borrowing against home equity makes less sense because is an even larger amount of money to pay back. After all, a house is supposed to be a place to live, not an investment property.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Why do you think that I want to prepay it?

The argument that you are making presupposes that treasury rates would be 2.5% many years down the line and that investments at that specific point are immediately going to have 2.5% return YOY for those specific years. But of course if finances allow I'm not going to pay down the mortgage. However, if salary isn't sufficiently high at that point, then there are certain conditions which would make sense for paying down a mortgage faster. Sometimes, goals in life may not involve winning on every single investment.

Anyway, this is the financial goals thread so lets switch discussion back to that.