Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Valgaav posted:

I find it interesting that Coolguye refers to Saber as 'she' while Roboky seems to use 'they'. If Anime has taught me anything, it's to assume that anyone gender-ambiguous in media is a guy.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm obfuscating like a CHAMPION.

yeah, it's this, actually.

i heard roboky use 'they' early on, and the first few times i used 'she' in an attempt to see if he would switch pronouns on me. he didn't, denying me the data point. that was a conscious experiment on my part.

of course, by the time i was sure he wasn't going to switch, it became obvious that Saber identifies with food more than any gender and would probably put down pronouns as "any/all/what the gently caress are you talking about" and i keep using 'she' because the voice actress has a very feminine voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yeah, it's this, actually.

i heard roboky use 'they' early on, and the first few times i used 'she' in an attempt to see if he would switch pronouns on me. he didn't, denying me the data point. that was a conscious experiment on my part.

of course, by the time i was sure he wasn't going to switch, it became obvious that Saber identifies with food more than any gender and would probably put down pronouns as "any/all/what the gently caress are you talking about" and i keep using 'she' because the voice actress has a very feminine voice.
Historically accurate. Japanese didn't have a gendered third-person pronoun until the 19th century.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the gendering came through before that in suffixes and usage. when it gets down to it japanese is a pretty sharply gendered language, and unlike many other languages that have gender threaded through it very heavily (like german), all of those gender attributions are incredibly impactful on all levels.

pronouns in the way english-speakers think of them were just not that important in japanese until relatively recently, when mass communications started making it relevant.

i haven't been listening THAT closely to Saber's word choice because she's got a tendency to talk really fast in many situations and i'm actually pretty bad at japanese. i pick up on more of iori's statements because he's pretty clearly written to be a brooding type - he rarely uses two words when one will do. which has the side effect of making his language pretty gender-neutral. i suspect this was part of the point.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 19, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Quick and dirty Saber speech pattern analysis:

personal pronoun is "watashi" - technically gender neutral but leans feminine in casual speech since dudes tend to lean strongly into "boku" or "ore"
uses "kimi" to refer to "you" - gender neutral, indicates that the speaker believes themselves to be of equal or higher status than those spoken to
uses -zo as a sentence ender for emphasis - leans masculine iirc but not as much as -ze
uses some archaic word choices such as "yoi" instead of "ii" - meant to emphasize that Saber is from an older time period
I think Saber's general manner of speech is also indicative of nobility rather than samurai, as opposed to Iori's (and Yui's, incidentally) samurai speech style

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 19, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So the servants are real bodies that can interact with the normies? Having never got into Fate/, I kinda figured servants were like Stands

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So the servants are real bodies that can interact with the normies? Having never got into Fate/, I kinda figured servants were like Stands

They do what they want. But ‘being real’ and ‘doing things’ costs mana, which their summoner needs to be able to provide.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Servants can essentially go invisible if/when needed.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

While they can turn invisible/intangible when convenient (since they're basically ghosts of dead people no matter how much Saber hypes them up), they mostly walk around autonomously and stuff with something that approximates a normal tangible body. They strictly don't need to eat hamburgers and sleep on your sofa and such, but they can do so recreationally.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

roboky and i did an episode recently that is so much of an infodump on those sorts of specifics that the game visibly goes from midday to evening to nighttime as it goes on.

ultimately iori is even more clueless than even new people to the FATE franchise than you could hope to be so he'll be asking a lot of questions like that.

e: to be clear, i'm not suggesting that folks don't bother asking or hold off. you're here to chat, so chat. it's more to say "you're not alone here."

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 20, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Unless I'm missing something, the original F/SN isn't on Steam. Is there anywhere else to pick it up?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Episode 3 - Blundering Through the Flowerbed

With a bottomless chasm to feed now, Iori sets off for Yoshiwara in the hope that a bodyguard job will net him some rice-and-miso money.

Unless I'm missing something, the original F/SN isn't on Steam. Is there anywhere else to pick it up?

Wish I could tell ya, but I got no idea. I think you're probably going to have to go digging through fan translation stuff to get it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Of the voluminous officially translated Fate stuff, for whatever reason, the original VN (or, more accurately, Realta Nua, since the original original release is probably never going to again see the light of day) has never officially been translated into any other language.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

On the Kaminarimon - the area is definitely still called Asakusa. Asakusa Station is literally a block away from that gate

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 22, 2023

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
It's been loving years since I last posted and what the gently caress was that. loving Fate poo poo, goddamnit.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Sure! Why not! We'll do that!

fate.txt

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Tarezax posted:

On the Kaminarimon - the area is definitely still called Asakusa. Asakusa Station is literally a block away from that gate

Yeah, I've realised that and corrected myself in a future episode. Then I go rooting around in tourism blogs and learn most of the places are still named as such.

Edit: Oh and I should probably mention I've added the Kawaraban we've picked up to lore post I set up. I was kind of initially torn on how I would do things like character profiles by and large because of the importance of many identities being kept hidden for so long, so it kind of rode the line of being unimportant or being massive spoilers. So instead I'm going with the Kawaraban because they give you stuff that supplies some background to the setting without really diving into spoilers.

Gonna just add them here as well for those not inclined to read those posts:

Issue 1: Asakusa posted:

Try the Ise Special, Honeyed Rice Cakes!
With the delicious aroma of rice, a hardy crunch, and a sweetness that fills the mouth, the Honeyed Rice Cake is Available in Asakusa for the first time ever!
Said to have been first sold in the town outside of Ise Shrine by an official of Kinoshita, this snack has a light flavor that will appeal to people of all ages and really sticks to the ribs.
Could something that good truly exist, you ask? If you don't believe it, come line up at a food stall in Asakusa and see for yourself. But beware, you may find yourself drawn to Senso-ji every day for another bite!

Issue 2: Asakusa posted:

Who Dwells in the Haunted House?
Set on a back street in the residential area of Asakusa, this "haunted house" doesn't have a single ghost inside. But it's so shabby that the house itself might turn into a ghost!
Rumours say that a young man started living in this ramshackle, old house not too long ago, so I asked around to see what kind of weirdo this guys is. Inside there's apparently a book that can fly, the laughing voice of a girl that shouldn't be there, and the sounds of swinging swords night after night...
Maybe I shouldn't have asked in the first place! Well, I certainly won't be going near that spooky place again.

Issue 3: Yoshiwara posted:

Takao Dayu the 2nd, a Femme Fatale?
Though not spoken of outside the gates, rumors stirring in Yoshiwara say a lord drew his sword on Takao Dayu for not bending to his will.
True or not, there is no shortage of jealous fools who would spread lies about the number on courtesan of Yoshiwara. On the other hand, some lords are so obsessed with Dayu that they'd happily empty their coffers for her.
With news of another family scandal involving the pleasure quarter recently making the rounds in Edo, it might be best to take drinking and women in moderation - fly too close to the sun and you might get burned.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 22, 2023

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
at first sight of Takao Dayu's 3d model, I thought she was sticking out her tongue

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 22, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I honestly expected the game to cut back to the timid debtor after their discussion and there would just be a dotted outline of him and a dust cloud.

Kind of disappointed that they didn't.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know Coolguy's stumbled onto people posting pics and memes of Fate Musashi on discord in the past but never with any context (because most of the people already familiar with Fate wouldn't need that extra context) so basically, CG just saw a vaguely familiar pink-haired swordswoman wearing probably more clothes than he's ever seen her in, given the popularity of her summer bikini costume, and his brain had about five seconds to catch up before he realized what just happened.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Everyone who plays FGO at that moment: Hell yeah!

Everyone else: Huh? What the gently caress?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Even in the wide panoply of weird social situations that have cropped up in various Type Moon media over the years, Iori's meeting with pink-haired lady might rank Top 5 weirdest

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The only reason I figured out who it was immediately and didn't go "what the gently caress" was because I was aware of the Fate franchise's penchant for going "this hero dude is a lady servant now"

The three exceptions I'm aware of are the heroes who fulfilled the roles of Lancer and Berserker (names withheld because it's more fun that way) from Fate/Stay Night (and one of the Archers), as I'm pretty sure they haven't had female servant forms.

Yet.

Not 100% confident, though. I'm never 100% confident about anything regarding the Fate franchise and the physical appearance of servants.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 25, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fate is a gacha game now. Waifus are compulsory.

(I mean they started well before that, but that's just Nasu)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Runa posted:

I know Coolguy's stumbled onto people posting pics and memes of Fate Musashi on discord in the past but never with any context (because most of the people already familiar with Fate wouldn't need that extra context) so basically, CG just saw a vaguely familiar pink-haired swordswoman wearing probably more clothes than he's ever seen her in, given the popularity of her summer bikini costume, and his brain had about five seconds to catch up before he realized what just happened.

i generally treat the fate stuff in the time warriors discord somewhat like i treat vtuber stuff - it's a massive world that i have no understanding of so it passes through my brain with barely a whisper.

granted, i did have a vague memory of the giant loving smile that FATE musashi is apparently famous for, but no way was i agile enough to put all that together in the short time i had.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'm a bit more careful at the moment in regards to Fate-posting in Coolguye's direction because while I know what's currently in F/SR there's apparently three whole big DLCs coming the entirety of this year so I don't know who is getting added and I don't want to spoil the guessing games.

Also as a Christmas present they updated the game this week, adding two more difficulty modes (I think an extremely easy one and extremely hard one?) and a new function to a feature we won't be seeing for quite a while so look forwards to that!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Episode 4 - Demonic Revelry

This one's very exposition heavy to start, but at the end we'll have all we need in order to appropriately go out stabbing our enemies in confidence in this Waxing Moon Ritual. Perhaps now these two clowns will start taking this whole battle to the death thing more seriously?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I noticed you mentioned "the late writer of Type Moon" when talking about Musashi, but Nasu ain't dead last time I checked,

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find the fifth shrine considering where it is.

Something to note about the Mad Enhancement communication issues, even if all they do is yell and grunt they may still be trying to say something articulate. Fate/Extella's Berserker side story was mostly there to show what he was trying to say behind the grunts during the main story.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

One small detail of note is that at the end of the previous episode, Takao Dayu spoke rather formally in a courtesan dialect. For this conversation, she's entirely dropped it and speaks casually.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Draga posted:

I noticed you mentioned "the late writer of Type Moon" when talking about Musashi, but Nasu ain't dead last time I checked,

I actually said "lead writer" on that one!

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I actually said "lead writer" on that one!

Now that you've said that, I hear it when I just went back

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I'm pretty sure they don't actually mention Rogue Berserker's True Name during the mainline quest of the game at all...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Valgaav posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't actually mention Rogue Berserker's True Name during the mainline quest of the game at all...

They definitely do but it might be contingent on finishing all his sidestories

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Valgaav posted:

Tarezax posted:

They definitely do but it might be contingent on finishing all his sidestories

It will be revealed in time, that I can guarantee!

Tarezax posted:

One small detail of note is that at the end of the previous episode, Takao Dayu spoke rather formally in a courtesan dialect. For this conversation, she's entirely dropped it and speaks casually.

They really do nail mannerisms of speech and action in this game really well, having Coolguye around to point out the Japanese word usage/context is enhancing my re-experience.

Whammiewazzle posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find the fifth shrine considering where it is.

Something to note about the Mad Enhancement communication issues, even if all they do is yell and grunt they may still be trying to say something articulate. Fate/Extella's Berserker side story was mostly there to show what he was trying to say behind the grunts during the main story.

Yeah, it's not to say that a Berserker is an incomprehensible mess of violence that you can never understand, it's perhaps more that understanding is much more difficult (and if you manage to achieve it you've done well).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They really do nail mannerisms of speech and action in this game really well, having Coolguye around to point out the Japanese word usage/context is enhancing my re-experience.
it's as surprising to me as anyone else that their word choices are generally simple enough that even i can pick it up. not to belabor the point that i've mentioned in the LP once already, but i am not fluent in Japanese, nor am I even really that good at it. I have, generously, a 2nd or 3rd grader's understanding and usage of it.

If I pick up on something, the writers put enough thought into that point that they really wanted you to notice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Assuming of course they weren't an incomprehensible mess of violence before Mad Enhancement.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Well, they just added Saber to Fate/Grand Order in Japan with more to come later in January with a collab, but more importantly the first DLC for Fate/Samurai Remnant is coming out in February. I have no idea where this DLC will sit in regards to the rest of the game so I have no idea how I'll be incorporating it into the LP pray for me the game has already forced me to wipe my save game files once.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Well, they just added Saber to Fate/Grand Order in Japan with more to come later in January with a collab, but more importantly the first DLC for Fate/Samurai Remnant is coming out in February. I have no idea where this DLC will sit in regards to the rest of the game so I have no idea how I'll be incorporating it into the LP pray for me the game has already forced me to wipe my save game files once.

You want my opinion, just finish the game as you normally would, do the DLC as it comes out, and, if their setting is chronologically important to the main story, just set those episodes as interstitials in the normal episode list.

Also, yes, FGO is not making any attempt to hide Saber's name, so I wouldn't look up anything about FSR content in FGO.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
As of last week the official website for Fate/Samurai Remnant isn't hiding the name either, it's just outright told to you if you dare to go into the character section. I guess they figured enough time had passed that they're not going to bother anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fortunately i don't use the internet