Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

While they can turn invisible/intangible when convenient (since they're basically ghosts of dead people no matter how much Saber hypes them up), they mostly walk around autonomously and stuff with something that approximates a normal tangible body. They strictly don't need to eat hamburgers and sleep on your sofa and such, but they can do so recreationally.

As I understand it, sleeping and eating helps conserve mana, so there's a practical purpose, but mostly they like to sleep and eat and otherwise do people things and as heroes of legend it's kinda hard to talk them out of doing whatever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i mostly just dismissed it as "sleeping and eating actually feel really good so you'd do it even if it wasn't strictly required"

i know i would

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still laughing at Ina Hololive trying hard not to be spoiled on Samurai Remnant only to do some new years pulls in FGO

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Always gacha with your eyes closed, it's what I do.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favourite thing about this game is that it happened because Kou Shibusawa, the creator of the Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdom game series, is a huge fan of FGO in general and Musashi in particular. So he went to Nasu and said "Hey, let's make a game with Musashi in it."

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kou Shibusawa's name being attached to Samurai Remnant was one of those things that made me sit up and take notice. Before I realised he was in there I was just expecting a straight up "cutscene before, run around a battlefield killing enemies, cutscene after" style musou (which I enjoy, mind), but what we got was so much more. For me at least, the game leans into being much more like Yakuza in its style than it does a straight musou.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I probably won't follow the LP for a while because I jsut got the game and am playing it too.

But I love it so far and will check it out when I get off my rear end and finish the game.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Fate Musashi is essentially a character from Sliders.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: Update time! :siren:

Episode 5 - A Journey of a Thousand Miles

When a lady with two berserkers tells you to go find out some intel for her, you definitely go do that. Iori and Saber have a name and now they have to figure out what that name means in Edo. They might not like what their investigation will turn up.

Kawaraban Issue 4: Okachimachi posted:

Soldiers on the Road to Success
Do you ever wonder when the area south of Kan'ei-ji, situated on the north-east of Edo Castle, earned the name Okachimachi, 'Soldier Town'? The origin of the name is clear enough - it refers to the many residences in the area for low-ranking samurai foot soldiers. But did you know other people live there as well?
There's the Osakite-gumi, in charge of Edo Castle's security and keeping the peace around town (and who are hated for the rough attitudes and eagerness to draw their swords), and the mounted Goshoinban-gumi, who act as guards for the Shogun and are galloping full speed towards promotion.
It might not be obvious based on their dress, but you'll surely be able to tell which group they belong to by the look on their faces. I'd avoid going near the Osakite-gumi if I were you.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 4, 2024

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

If the killing blow was dealt with one of Saber's solo Affinity Techniques it will count towards Sabers kills for unlocking stuff.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Funny that you guys talked about Makai Tensho, as the Fate universe has a pretty complete homage to it (in Fate/Grand Order), right down to the main villain wielding DARK JESUIT SORCERY. Pretty sure none of it's going to apply to this story directly though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jossar posted:

Funny that you guys talked about Makai Tensho, as the Fate universe has a pretty complete homage to it (in Fate/Grand Order), right down to the main villain wielding DARK JESUIT SORCERY. Pretty sure none of it's going to apply to this story directly though.

There is exactly one thing from that story that is relevant here and that is that Musashi was in it

Edit: FGO does not have Yagyu Jubei (yet...) but it does have his far less well-known father, who also appears in that story segment

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 5, 2024

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

One thing I've been wondering about Saber is why her sword has that wavy/flame-bladed motif. Isn't that primarily a thing with archipelagic SE Asia, eg the kalis or the keris? (Or is it just "everybody gets anime weapons, deal with it"?)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

One thing I've been wondering about Saber is why her sword has that wavy/flame-bladed motif. Isn't that primarily a thing with archipelagic SE Asia, eg the kalis or the keris?

Also central europe, though only for a relatively brief period.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

One thing I've been wondering about Saber is why her sword has that wavy/flame-bladed motif. Isn't that primarily a thing with archipelagic SE Asia, eg the kalis or the keris? (Or is it just "everybody gets anime weapons, deal with it"?)

It's a reference to the element of water that Saber controls, protecting the sword's true identity from being discovered and revealing its wielder's identity in turn. Fate/Stay Night did a similar thing, albeit with "wind" hiding the sword to make it look invisible.

Jossar posted:

Yeah, I didn't end up getting a chance to talk about Shimousa cause we shifted gears, but I figure I'll have chances later since there's lots of little stuff from there that's adjacent to what's going on in a lot of little symbolic ways, but largely because Shimousa was already a Makai Tensho homage there's no need to do it again and this story thankfully goes its own way.

Whammiewazzle posted:

If the killing blow was dealt with one of Saber's solo Affinity Techniques it will count towards Sabers kills for unlocking stuff.

Of that I had no doubt, I meant more when Saber teleports in and finishes off a combo for you and it just happens to kill someone. I will never find this out because I will never stop to check anyway so I will assume it is a mystery not for mortals such as I.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

roboky and i had a great time a few days ago talking about DARK JESUIT CONSPIRACIES including one where they allegedly sank the titanic in collaboration with Jay Pierpont Morgan in order to murder 3 guys and start world war 1

i look forward to jesuit shenanigans coming up more often tbh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah tofu does own, thank you

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Of that I had no doubt, I meant more when Saber teleports in and finishes off a combo for you and it just happens to kill someone. I will never find this out because I will never stop to check anyway so I will assume it is a mystery not for mortals such as I.

I started up a new game to see if i could figure this out, and while I couldn't get that specific event to occur in a way to confirm for certain, I'm going to assume it counts because every time Saber got the killing blow while I wasn't controlling them or using Affinity Techniques it did still count.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish Makai Tensho got translated. I can't find it in either english or french, the two languages I can read!

glocknar
May 17, 2017

Coolguye posted:

roboky and i had a great time a few days ago talking about DARK JESUIT CONSPIRACIES including one where they allegedly sank the titanic in collaboration with Jay Pierpont Morgan in order to murder 3 guys and start world war 1

i look forward to jesuit shenanigans coming up more often tbh

I never knew that this was a thing, and my day is much more entertaining now that I do know :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

glocknar posted:

I never knew that this was a thing, and my day is much more entertaining now that I do know :allears:

oh my god it's so loving good dude

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesuit_conspiracy_theories#Sinking_the_Titanic

quote:

The theory includes the claim that Captain Edward Smith was a "Jesuit temporal coadjutor".[28] The "accidental sinking" was arranged by having Smith's "Jesuit master", Father Francis Browne, board the Titanic and order Smith to run his ship at full speed through an ice field on a moonless night, ignoring any ice warnings including those from the lookouts, with the purpose of hitting an iceberg severely enough to cause the ship to founder and the three businessmen to drown.

to clarify the vocabulary word, a coadjutor is basically the vice-bishop of a diocese. they help out doing bishop things and are the designated successor if the bishop dies. "temporal", for religious contexts, means that the person involved has the position because they hold some other, usually more secular, position. something like "you're the holy roman emperor, so also you're functionally a cardinal in the church."

so apparently this utterly psychotic theory is that Captain Smith was, by virtue of being Captain, a Jesuit vice-bishop, and his superior, someone who was very much NOT a bishop, ordered him to do a disaster purely so the jesuits could murder 3 bankers who were in the way of JP Morgan's globalist banking philosophy. their elimination allowed for the creation of the Federal Reserve Bank (which the House of Morgan fiercely resisted) and allowed them to incite WW1 in order to weaken government institutions and suborn them to banks.

roboky and i laughed about it for 15 full minutes before a recording session once.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I absolutely adore this. I love hilariously overcomplicated schemes where a crucial part of the plan involves getting someone to do something unsafe and then just " hope we get lucky".

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm glad you took the time to define "temporal coadjutor" because given the nature of conspiracy theories, at first blush it looked like they were suggesting that the Jesuits have Time-Cops at their disposal to cause historically relevent disasters

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

French comic Adèle Blanc-Sec had the Titanic sank by a cult of Pazuzu-worshippers using their giant fake Iceberg boat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

I'm glad you took the time to define "temporal coadjutor" because given the nature of conspiracy theories, at first blush it looked like they were suggesting that the Jesuits have Time-Cops at their disposal to cause historically relevent disasters

when they say "human excellence", they also mean removing the human trash

ST. FRANCIS XAVIER: DEMOLITION MAN EDITION

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: New Update! :siren:

Episode 6 - The Victor Controls His Opponent

Time to learn what all this ley-line malarky is all about. Sounds like a whole lot of not wielding swords to Iori so it might take him some time to get used to one of Edo's biggest features. But he's going to need to master it if he's going to overcome his opponents in this fierce Waxing Moon Ritual. Luckily(?) he's about to make a new friend in this particular excursion.

Kawaraban Issue 6: Suidobashi posted:

Clean Water Thanks to the Waterworks
Our thirsts are quenched by virtue of the Kanda Waterworks, which draws water from Inokashira Pond and brings it straight to Edo.
It evidently used to be called Koishikawa Waterworks long ago when they drew water from the Koishikawa River. In any case, water shortages continue to grow as the number of people living in Edo increases. Every resident in Edo must have wondered at least once what would happen if a big fire broke out...
Fortunately, the authorities have plans for a new waterworks. It seems they intend to draw water from the Tamagawa in the west and send it all the way to Okido in Yotsuya. Construction could get started as early as next year, and that would certainly take a load off many minds.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I know just enough about FGO to recognize the basic designs of the newest addition, but couldn't remember the name until it was mentioned.

Also I think YT recommended the trailer for the first DLC earlier thanks to this. Didn't watch but I'm pretty sure I recognised the face on the thumbnail. :v:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Yeah Iori, might want to keep just a little bit of distance from that one, they can get a little bit obsessively attached.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Also I think YT recommended the trailer for the first DLC earlier thanks to this. Didn't watch but I'm pretty sure I recognised the face on the thumbnail. :v:

My biggest fear has been demonstration videos of Saber in FGO True Naming the hell out of them for the audience being listed in the recommendations (and more when the collab event kicks off sometime in the next week or so). Said host of the DLC is getting introduced next video, at least!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Aria looks like she is eternally stoned.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Aria looks like she is eternally stoned.

this may or may not be a cornerstone of the jokes i make her expense going forward

really though i'm a pretty big fan of the balance aria has been striking in the upcoming episodes. she's annoying as hell on a hundred levels, but she's actually extremely helpful in her own right. so i can make a bunch of mean jokes about her and then immediately have a reason to forgive her and not stay mad.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I already like her and fully expected the dynamic of "Aria why" followed by "Thank You Very Much Aria" just going back and forth constantly, so it's nice to hear I called that bit.

Also goddamn she small.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We do live in a golden age of tea

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

My biggest fear has been demonstration videos of Saber in FGO True Naming the hell out of them for the audience being listed in the recommendations (and more when the collab event kicks off sometime in the next week or so). Said host of the DLC is getting introduced next video, at least!
Yeah. I haven't had any trouble with recommendations on the LP videos specifically, but think I saw Saber's True Name somewhere else the other day, in a video title from someone whose non-FGO-related stuff I've watched before. Unfortunate but unavoidable. I can't be too salty about it.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 12, 2024

glocknar
May 17, 2017
Aria is such a goddamn treat. She is derp, helpful, and cute. The main reason she is mostly buffs instead of using that sword of hers? As shown in the anime adaptation, she wears it so its to far for her to reach the hilt! She even chases after it like a dog while making cute noises:roflolmao:!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

...that is actually a very valid application of the Rider class.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Be doubly careful as the FGO collab event with Fate/Samurai Remnant is coming out soon. They revealed the gacha lineup for the collab and it has a bunch of spoilers

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is kind of funny how one of the new servants isn't a spoiler and the other one is a pretty major one.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

...that is actually a very valid application of the Rider class.

"Carry me please it's my servant class" is a powerful argument.

glocknar posted:

Aria is such a goddamn treat. She is derp, helpful, and cute. The main reason she is mostly buffs instead of using that sword of hers? As shown in the anime adaptation, she wears it so its to far for her to reach the hilt! She even chases after it like a dog while making cute noises:roflolmao:!

That entire New Years broadcast was incredible and the animated sequences were cute as hell and incredibly on point in being in character. A lot of people really fell for Aria thanks to that sequence.

Runa posted:

We do live in a golden age of tea

Yet sadly we have missed the age of wabi-sabi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glocknar
May 17, 2017

TheLastRoboKy posted:

"Carry me please it's my servant class" is a powerful argument.
Hell, the Servants with B rank - not A rank, B RANK - in the Riding Skill can not only be perfect drivers of whatever they're controlling, whether it be horse or boat or motorcycle, they can outright make it pull off supernatural bullshit. I don't know if we have seen A Rank in action but it can only get wackier, like having the Master give them a piggyback ride being a legit strategy with tangible benefits in a Grail War.