Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

This was a crazy year for good animated things. As I build my list I'm shocked at how much of the list they compose. Still haven't caught up on the second season of Pantheon though, so trying to get that done before I finish my list, just in case it still utterly rocks and I need to add another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So much to watch and I'm not caught up on everything I want to. So sorry to things I didn't get a chance to see which I'm sure are great, like Fargo! Maybe a few of these animated titles would have fallen a bit if so. Or maybe not!

Honorable Mentions. A lot of these were really close to the list but may have just been edged out by things like my preference for feel good over tense or miserable, despite how much I enjoyed them:
Upload, For All Mankind, Beef, Pluto, The Last of Us, One Piece, Foundation, The Legend of Vox Machina, Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, The Bear,
The Devil's Plan, Slow Horses, Silo, Deadloch, Last Week Tonight

10 - Spy X Family - The premise for this continues to have a lot of mileage left for telling fun, quirky, feel good stories that put a smile on your face.

9 - Reservation Dogs - Great cast. I love seeing them in other things, like Echo, which it seems many of them ended up in.

8 - Star Trek: Lower Decks - I feel like this just continues to get better. It would be the best Star Trek in ages if not for the other one on this list.

7 - Hilda - After a two year absence the third season dropped with a bang. Still fantastic. I loved the further exploration of the world and these characters.

6 - Poker Face - What is not to love? This Columbo reboot is firing on all cylinders. I hope they keep making this forever.

5 - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - This is not only the best Trek in years. But honestly, it is trying hard to become the best of all time. If this is allowed to run its course, it could get there.

4 - Loki - What an amazing journey for this character. What a satisfying conclusion to this story.

3 - Frieren: Beyond Journey's End -

I didn't know this existed until someone put it on their list. So thank you! I did not know I needed a story of a long lived elf outliving her party after they defeat the big bad and the ways in which she grows and changes over long time scales. But I did. I normally don't love montages in tv shows, but Frieren makes exceptionally good use of them to show us moments from the passing time. It is great.

2 - Pantheon -

Wow. The saddest thing about this entry, which is one of the greatest sci fi things I've ever watched, is how few people will ever see it due to the network fuckery. If you have any interest at all in well told science fiction stories do yourself a favor and try to find a way to watch this. This is a complete tale, told in 16 episodes(8 per season). The heights that they stretched for by the end of the second season were just crazy. And it all landed fantastically.

1 - Scavengers Reign -

This could not have been more made for me if I made it myself. Back when the original short came out I was already a huge fan. When it was announced they were making it into a series my hype level was off the scale. I was afraid it would get canned before it released due to all the things going on at the network, but thankfully it made it across the finish line. Despite my incredibly high hopes and expectations for this, it exceeded them all. I don't know that I've ever seen anything else like this on TV. It is not only the best thing I watched this past year, but it is certainly in the running for one of my favorite things ever.