Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

haypliss posted:

Hiroko Utsumi has directed multiple other shows outside KyoAni that you could already watch and make whatever this strange-sounding judgement is. SK8 was even an original series rather than an adaptation.

I might check out Bucchigiri now SK8 kicks rear end.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SK8 ruled and theres going to be a second season announced any day now.

Yep, any day now...

:smith:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Furnaceface posted:

SK8 ruled and theres going to be a second season announced any day now.

Yep, any day now...

:smith:

Uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CbAN4hL_ls]

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's still accurate if you consider announcement to be a hard date and not a we're working on it guys we swear. I for one am willing to be cautiously optimistic, remember other shows have gotten season 2 announcements only to be indefinitely delayed due to production difficulties.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it should be in production now that bungo is done

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
yay mashle

also, yay cute robot assassins on mars

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Solo Leveling in particular will live and die by its fight scenes because its story is honestly just bad. I say this to everyone, but it's a weird story that feels less than the sum of its parts; the individual arcs are kinda fun but when you put them together they make no sense. I honestly don't understand the rabid following the original manhwa had. The art was fantastic but the story was derivative, the character were forgettable (if not by you then certainly by the plot) and more than a few plot hooks were just forgotten.

It's a shame the Returner's Magic adaptation was crap because that manhwa was actually pretty fun and the cast quickly grows on you.

Solo leveling is really bad, but it seems like most Manwha are just ripping off it and its dumb cliches at this point. The writing is just so lazy and thoughtless.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
First episodes of the season might get postponed thanks to today's quake. Please don't go ballistic goons.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am just here, praying that Sengoku Youku will be good. Satoshi Mizukami deserves at least one good anime adaptation, c'mon! :pray:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I am just here, praying that Sengoku Youku will be good. Satoshi Mizukami deserves at least one good anime adaptation, c'mon! :pray:

Technically, Planet With counts? It's an anime-original, but it's still pure Mizukami.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
what was wrong with Biscuit Hammer

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Pretty much everything besides the voice acting and underlying story. Terrible directing, action animation, character animation, music, pacing, etc.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Already reading on a few confirmed casualties in Japan. Just hoping the people there are okay overall.

In other news, the first episode of "Fluffy Paradise" has dropped. It's nice and sweet and cute and I'll keep watching because Bob knows it looks to be one hell of a clusterfuck of a year coming and I could use the relief.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
No snow at all here on the east coast so far. Usually that’s the only thing I have to worry about, but that’s been gone for a few years

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We've been getting snow intermittently and it doesn't stick more than one or two days.

Last year we had crazy snow for the region though.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

When does Senpai.moe normally update?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dunno but livechart has the same functionality

https://www.livechart.me/timetable
https://www.livechart.me/winter-2024/tv

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

oh the timetable page is a good replacement for senpai, thanks for this

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I saw that one show from this season (maybe more - I just noticed this one) aired a premiere today and I can report that Fluffy Paradise begins exactly as you'd expect, and if a child petting a tiger sounds fun to watch then it's not terrible. I assume some over-serious exposition of the grand plot (through adventure? Politicking? Weirdly placed shonen power battles?) will occur, but so long as it's got a cure child petting a cute tiger and it doesn't get weird, it's slotting solidly into the category of popcorn I'll watch if there's not a ton of competition this season.

We need a Knife-kun vs Overwork-kun vs Truck-kun three way over-under bet each season for isekai origin stories.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

And oh yeah, that's this post, the live chart is solid - thanks for the link.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pork never goes bad posted:

I saw that one show from this season (maybe more - I just noticed this one) aired a premiere today and I can report that Fluffy Paradise begins exactly as you'd expect, and if a child petting a tiger sounds fun to watch then it's not terrible. I assume some over-serious exposition of the grand plot (through adventure? Politicking? Weirdly placed shonen power battles?) will occur, but so long as it's got a cure child petting a cute tiger and it doesn't get weird, it's slotting solidly into the category of popcorn I'll watch if there's not a ton of competition this season.

We need a Knife-kun vs Overwork-kun vs Truck-kun three way over-under bet each season for isekai origin stories.

Yeah they've dropped some heavy hints that there's going to be an underclass of extremely oppressed/persecuted animal people and the entire conceit of the show is that a god sent her to this world to judge whether the humans need to be wiped out for the horrible poo poo they've been doing so we can kind've guess where this is headed

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Fluffy Paradise ep1 was pretty alrite for the first episode. Might be under 'first anime watching of the season' lens. But I give it a few episodes.

Tier of Isekai methods:

1) Truck-kun
2) Overwork-kun
3) Knife-kun
4) Just going to sleep after gaming-kun

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GateOfD posted:

Tier of Isekai methods:

1) Truck-kun
2) Overwork-kun
3) Knife-kun

You forgot "thrown/pushed into a metro/rail track by a begrudged person just as the train is reaching the station"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i put that under knife-kun/and add misc. on that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s also “VR machine induced coma” as seen in SAO (though that could probably fall under the fourth category), and older ones like “falling down a well and getting sent to the past” (Inuyasha)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Or just walking out of a convenience store at night (Re:Zero)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
the OP of Fluffy Paradise is very cute

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GateOfD posted:

Fluffy Paradise ep1 was pretty alrite for the first episode. Might be under 'first anime watching of the season' lens. But I give it a few episodes.

Tier of Isekai methods:

1) Truck-kun
2) Overwork-kun
3) Knife-kun

Idk I would rather die gaming than getting run over/stabbed/crushed by the cruel reality of the world.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
protect that smile

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GateOfD posted:

protect that smile

Looks cute, how’s the show itself so far?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Idk I would rather die gaming than getting run over/stabbed/crushed by the cruel reality of the world.

The other methods at least offer a chance at inflection and growth for a character. I feel like "gamer wakes up as their overpowered character" doesnt really have that option.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Are there any other ironic deaths like Bookworm's "crushed under a mountain of her own books during an earthquake"?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
crushed by a vending machine maybe

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Larryb posted:

Looks cute, how’s the show itself so far?

It's a trash isekai but it's a comfy, slightly above average trash isekai which I know isn't saying much. At the very least the character's super isekai magical ability is not crazy powerful, non-humans really like her and that's it. No god tier mana levels or anything.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Are there any other ironic deaths like Bookworm's "crushed under a mountain of her own books during an earthquake"?

There's one where a chef is killed when his giant cake falls on him.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I prefer no deaths for my isekai but I'll take ironic ones if I have to. Truck-kun and knife-chan are lazy excuses used by hacks. Not that many people are run over or stabbed in Japan but if you went by isekai media they're the leading cause of death in Japan.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I havent seen the cake isekai, nor will i most likely, but I always got the impression that that was basically just ascendence of a bookworm but with baking instead of books, right down to the mentioned ironic death isekai-ing

I feel like as cool as cakes are they're a much less interesting thing to promote in a fantasy world compared to books and literacy. Sooo im not surprised that one didn't take off as much as bookworm. still, i'm all for more isekai protagonists getting buried by an avalanche of their personal obsession

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 2, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Knights and Magic guy got hit by a car after buying a new gunpla iirc, I guess even the author realized that buried under a mountain of injection molded plastic wasn't realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kwyndig posted:

The Knights and Magic guy got hit by a car after buying a new gunpla iirc, I guess even the author realized that buried under a mountain of injection molded plastic wasn't realistic.

There are plenty of people who own enough backlog to bury them but I'm not sure they're dense enough to kill.