Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So are there any good modern isekai shows out there while we’re on the subject? They seem to be churning out a lot of them as of late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

wdarkk posted:

There are plenty of people who own enough backlog to bury them but I'm not sure they're dense enough to kill.

Thank you, that's what I meant. Each kit weighs a few ounces, you'd need a few thousand to do any real damage to a person. I've personally been buried under somebody else's unfinished gunpla collection and the only thing that was hurt was my pride.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Larryb posted:

So are there any good modern isekai shows out there while we’re on the subject? They seem to be churning out a lot of them as of late

there's some decent ones but the problem is that kadokawa pumps out so many that a lot of the ones with more fun ideas and writing don't get much love production-wise. shokei shoujo is a fun cheesy action adventure thing that manages to do fun stuff with what was clearly a pretty tight schedule and magical revolution adds some fun new scenes on top of okay to decent source material.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And Konosuba comes back soon, if you like comedy, explosions, fanservice, and explosions.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Larryb posted:

Yes

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

The Colonel posted:

there's some decent ones but the problem is that kadokawa pumps out so many that a lot of the ones with more fun ideas and writing don't get much love production-wise. shokei shoujo is a fun cheesy action adventure thing that manages to do fun stuff with what was clearly a pretty tight schedule and magical revolution adds some fun new scenes on top of okay to decent source material.

World's Greatest Assassin was... okay... it definitely had some fun ideas but also got occasionally pretty weird with it, but never weird enough to completely write it off. It's one that I definitely enjoyed well enough but probably wouldn't recommend.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

People seem to like Eminence in the Shadow.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Haystack posted:

People seem to like Eminence in the Shadow.

Eminence in the Shadow is the ultimate in isekai stupidity, taking everything to 24/10, forget 11/10, but on purpose, as a joke. It's not a parody, not really, but it is very much in on the joke. There's also now a series of nearly 20 2-minute shorts on Kadokawa's Youtube channel.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like Saga of Tanya the Evil but like a lot of isekai the wait for a second season has been so long. Lowkey the real problem with the glut of isekai, unless they're insanely popular the wait for a second season takes a long time, if ever.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Srice posted:

I like Saga of Tanya the Evil but like a lot of isekai the wait for a second season has been so long. Lowkey the real problem with the glut of isekai, unless they're insanely popular the wait for a second season takes a long time, if ever.

thats just anime in general now, every competent studio and team is booked out 2 or 3 shows ahead, so if the producers didnt commit to season 2 from the start then it's a long wait from the back of the queue

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That's another plus for Eminence In Shadow, it already got a 2nd season and they just announced a film

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tales of Woe posted:

thats just anime in general now, every competent studio and team is booked out 2 or 3 shows ahead, so if the producers didnt commit to season 2 from the start then it's a long wait from the back of the queue

And despite that the studios are still taking on too much work if stuff like the Mappa horror stories is any indication

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

The Knights and Magic guy got hit by a car after buying a new gunpla iirc, I guess even the author realized that buried under a mountain of injection molded plastic wasn't realistic.

wdarkk posted:

There are plenty of people who own enough backlog to bury them but I'm not sure they're dense enough to kill.

Kwyndig posted:

Thank you, that's what I meant. Each kit weighs a few ounces, you'd need a few thousand to do any real damage to a person. I've personally been buried under somebody else's unfinished gunpla collection and the only thing that was hurt was my pride.

Technically there's something directly adjacent to the generalized model building hobby that they could use, and that's 3D printing (for the purposes of building additional parts for kits - or even complete models). Where, uh, don't go doing that in an unventilated room. But not sure how much that's caught on in Japan yet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Yea definitely, in my book it's just a bigger factor for isekai in general because it makes them feel extra disposable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic is a lightweight-but-entirely-competent fantasy adventure, if you want some decent modern isekai this season. Of course, how modern is modern? The current genre has been going for well over a decade - the Log Horizon anime, for example, started airing in October 2013.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Database database I'm watching all this database database I cannot stop the database database now that it's in my head database database somebody kill me database database

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

At the very least the character's super isekai magical ability is not crazy powerful, non-humans really like her and that's it. No god tier mana levels or anything.
Oh, I dunno about that. It's painfully clear from the opening and ending credits that she's going to make a friend/pet of that dragon, and I'd call that OP as gently caress.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

yea definitely gonna be one of those 'seems mid, but is actually the most op ever'
like how 'oh just able to farm good...wait a minute...'

Wouldn't mind a wave of earth isekais with fantasy characters coming to earth and having regular jobs. I know we had Dragon Maid, Maou-sama, but I know there's plenty of more in existence in manga land.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

GateOfD posted:

yea definitely gonna be one of those 'seems mid, but is actually the most op ever'
like how 'oh just able to farm good...wait a minute...'

Wouldn't mind a wave of earth isekais with fantasy characters coming to earth and having regular jobs. I know we had Dragon Maid, Maou-sama, but I know there's plenty of more in existence in manga land.

Welcome to Japan, Ms. Elf is getting an anime.
I hope they are brave enough to only animate the earth stuff, but just flash up a "and some poo poo happened in the other world" message for the rest.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The whole death thing in isekai is weird (especially what it implies about the psychology of the assumed audience). Older portal fantasy didn’t need this; the protagonists walked through a magical doorway while exploring an old mansion, or fell asleep under a magical tree, or were transported by a magical storm, or astrally projected themselves to Mars somehow, or got spirited away in the middle of their daily lives. What does the death thing add, beyond tropes-for-the-sake-of-tropes? One explanation I’ve seen is that it prevents the protagonist from even trying to get back home; though I’m not sure why this is necessary either.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Silver2195 posted:

One explanation I’ve seen is that it prevents the protagonist from even trying to get back home; though I’m not sure why this is necessary either.
Isn't that explanation enough? Most people would at least have it as a goal to get back. Unless the character absolutely hates their old life and has no attachment to it, but that's not much different from the death from overwork/the modern world versions.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean it's notably not a thing in ones like shokei shoujo and re:zero. in yakuza reincarnation it's an explanation for why the princess is a character from a yakuza game, in something like slime witch or one of the several notable yuri reincarnation stories the misfortune and dreams the main character had in life influence their behavior towards others in the fantasy world. typically if it's used as the framing and isn't really factored in any meaningful way that is just the regular thing of the story being bad

lots of the popular old isekai stories also have their pretty strong fundamental differences with the more recent wave. something like rayearth, dunbine or escaflowne did very actively factor the main character's connections with the real world into the writing, in dunbine's case half of the show's narrative doesn't even take place in the fantasy world and has a more active interest in what chaos ensues when people get dragged back and forth between the two

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 2, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Need some good old fashioned John Carter astral projection Isekai

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think it's just a no-effort way to get a modern protag into a fantasy world that lets you focus on the fantasy world without having to write a protag that was born there or really justify much of what they do or what goes on. Like, in a sense it's lazy. In another sense it lets you (as reader or as writer) skip to the fantasy wish fulfillment that you wanted from the story in the first place, fully knowing that it makes the story less valuable from the perspective of literary or artistic criticism and thumbing your nose at the high-brow and nobrow at the same time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would say there's some interesting ideas you could explore in it at least. The idea of being forcibly being stuck in a new body with all your memories of relationships you'll never be able to experience again is kinda terrifying and I feel like you could write some interesting character beats around it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I favor the villainess starts out like a typical Isekai set-up but the final volume flips it on it's head in a rather unique way

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mycot posted:

Isn't that explanation enough? Most people would at least have it as a goal to get back. Unless the character absolutely hates their old life and has no attachment to it, but that's not much different from the death from overwork/the modern world versions.

I’m tempted to say that it’s more interesting if the protagonist does want to get back, because that’s a least a motivation, and one that can either lead to other motivations or conflict with them. For example: what if multiple people get isekai’d together, and some are more interested in getting back home than others? What if the protagonist finds a way back home almost immediately, but it comes at a price he’s not willing to pay?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Silver2195 posted:

I’m tempted to say that it’s more interesting if the protagonist does want to get back, because that’s a least a motivation, and one that can either lead to other motivations or conflict with them. For example: what if multiple people get isekai’d together, and some are more interested in getting back home than others? What if the protagonist finds a way back home almost immediately, but it comes at a price he’s not willing to pay?

Yeah Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Silver2195 posted:

i mean there's a bunch of isekais with all those what ifs, but it all depends on if the author has any desire for it, they don't so they close the routes off right at the bat.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is good

ffta is one of the games i want to get remade/remastered because i almost think its plot is more interesting today than it was back then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Silver2195 posted:

i mean there are several stories like this already. it's one of the fundamental ideas in dunbine, show finds his way back home relatively early on but the situation that gets him there is so chaotic it effectively ruins his life. meanwhile a lot of the bad guys are people who got summoned in and either got to thinking about how they could dominate this world or bring technology back from it to dominate earth and do whatever they want

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the whole crux of rayearth's split between part 1 and part 2 is that the magic knights do end up going back home but the situation they left cephiro in was so bad they feel obligated to go back so they can properly set it right

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Colonel posted:

the whole crux of rayearth's split between part 1 and part 2 is that the magic knights do end up going back home but the situation they left cephiro in was so bad they feel obligated to go back so they can properly set it right

That sounds awesome though, and now I feel like I should watch it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Rayearth is good and you should read the manga as well (the second part of the anime and the second part of the manga are two completely different stories)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

The whole death thing in isekai is weird (especially what it implies about the psychology of the assumed audience). Older portal fantasy didn’t need this; the protagonists walked through a magical doorway while exploring an old mansion, or fell asleep under a magical tree, or were transported by a magical storm, or astrally projected themselves to Mars somehow, or got spirited away in the middle of their daily lives. What does the death thing add, beyond tropes-for-the-sake-of-tropes? One explanation I’ve seen is that it prevents the protagonist from even trying to get back home; though I’m not sure why this is necessary either.

They're Buddhist, op.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

Are there any other ironic deaths like Bookworm's "crushed under a mountain of her own books during an earthquake"?

Not sure if it's ironic but Konosuba's "too much of a neet so had a heart-attack saving a girl from an oncoming tractor and then his entire family pissed themselves laughing at how dumb of a death that was at the hospital" is great.

Theres also Youjo Senki's "killed by a guy he heartlessly fired."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

it's decent. the anime kinda has too much padding though and the manga is funnier

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

To me, it mostly seems to be an excuse to give them superpowers in the reincarnation process that they wouldn't otherwise have. Like, the Pevensie siblings had nothing superhuman about them period (or, to go further back, Hank Morgan didn't either), John Carter was superhuman only inasmuch as he was an Earthling now operating under far lesser gravity, Kagome was from a shrine family to begin with (and had the Shikon jewel within her from the beginning), etc, etc.

The recent(ish) trend has all been they die and then get some incredibly absurd cheat to help them out in the new place rather than doing it on their own. Natsuki Subaru is probably one of the closer examples to the older trend, since his specific ability doesn't specifically enhance his own abilities, it just lets him prepare repeatedly for dealing with whatever (at painful cost). Also, unless I'm misremembering, he didn't actually die either - or at least not in the process of moving to another world.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

To me, it mostly seems to be an excuse to give them superpowers in the reincarnation process that they wouldn't otherwise have. Like, the Pevensie siblings had nothing superhuman about them period (or, to go further back, Hank Morgan didn't either), John Carter was superhuman only inasmuch as he was an Earthling now operating under far lesser gravity, Kagome was from a shrine family to begin with, etc, etc.

The recent(ish) trend has all been they die and then get some incredibly absurd cheat to help them out in the new place rather than doing it on their own. Natsuki Subaru is probably one of the closer examples to the older trend, since his specific ability doesn't specifically enhance his own abilities, it just lets him prepare repeatedly for dealing with whatever (at painful cost). Also, unless I'm misremembering, he didn't actually die either - or at least not in the process of moving to another world.

Hank Morgan is effectively superhuman - like many isekai protagonists, he applies his modern knowledge in ways that make no logistical sense. And John Carter was already unaging (for some reason) before going to Mars.

But yeah, getting an overpowered ability as a bonus on top of being transported is an obnoxious trope, generally the result of being afraid to let the protagonist actually face challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lord Koth posted:

Like, the Pevensie siblings had nothing superhuman about them period

Well, until Father Christmas gives them magical items for the final battle against the White Witch's army.