Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Finding out that Bucchigiri is by the Free director has got me really curious. If it turns out good then it's going to add fuel to my big hairy anti-Kyoani biases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
No offense meant to fans of the comic, but does it ever stop being the same handful of jokes about misadventures in elf weight control?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i'm a fan of the term video game bullshit

both in general and in reference to storytelling from fantasy web novels and the like that borrows a little too liberally from RPGs

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The only shonen series that ends with a marriage that I can think of that was pretty satisfying is Fullmetal Alchemist and a certain other series that has been disqualified from consideration due to the author being a real creep

In both of those series the romance element was a bit more... not prominent, exactly, but less rote? The romantic interests feel less like a arbitrary requirement from editorial;, anyway. Also it's just the the protagonist who gets married and not one where every random loving side character hooks up and produces offspring like it's Fire Emblem Awakening. Speaking of creep authors, I feel the Harry Potter ending really kicked this trend into high gear.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Furnaceface posted:

It is honestly amazing that my brother and I have such opposite taste in anime. He wouldnt stop bugging me to watch Solo Leveling, Classroom of the Elite, and Undead Adventurer. So I gave all of them a 3 episode test and didnt find much in any of them. Also I really hate shows with video game stuff like menus and inventory and leveling now apparently.

Meanwhile I ask him to watch Sign of Affection and Dark Gathering and he wont even watch one episode calling them girly and childish, respectively.

I'm big into the Dark Gathering manga but the anime...

I haven't actually properly watched it, so it might be good, but it doesn't LOOK good.

Then again I'm still mad about the Azumanga Daioh anime so maybe I just have unreasonable expectation for cartoons about my favorites

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've been enjoying the hell out of Dungeon Meshi but I do think that it's a show that is not very conducive to hype, in the sense that it is not a "blockbuster" style show full of jump up and tear your shirt off moments.

I understand being enthusiastic about good poo poo, but I think some people need to learn that mellow material needs to be matched with mellow enthusiasm, otherwise you're setting people up for something completely different.

Then again asking for temperance on the internet is probably a failing proposition in general, much less from people who are excited about a thing.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It could be the smaller size of the mahjong audience, but there have been other weird mahjong things that were licensed before

But considering Mahjong Soul was tied into the online platform it might've been half a commercial VS something that someone had to pay a license for

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I randomly decided to run through Sasaki and Peeps and I'm struck by two things
1) They keep adding new types of anime to this anime and I'm not sure why. And for some reason I like it better as a genre mashup than I did Recreators

2) why do the action parts look so weirdly bad

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think One Piece is the only prominent show that is streeeetching source material past the point of breaking at this point, which makes the fact that it's getting a second, ongoing adaptation while the original anime is still running high-llarious

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't made Spy Family into an ongoing concern, given it's popularity and it's format being 85% hijinks-of-the-week 15% plot progression. It could easily turn into a Detective Conan-esque show where the plot in both the manga and the anime are at a standstill while the parties involved just rake it in.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but Astro Note feels like the Gintama anime director and the Carol & Tuesday character designer doing Urusei Yatsura fanfiction, and I mean that in a complimentary way

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I know that there's a lot of bad localized titles here in the English Anime Zone in 2024, but man, that rascal poo poo sounds almost machine translated

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Fan translations are like any other hobby; some people take them seriously enough to equal or surpass professional jobs, and some are like something someone did while scrolling on their phone and watching netflix at the same time

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
everyone remembers the controversial finale of Heroman that takes place in Benghazi

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched the first episode of Bucchigiri and it looked great but there was not a single character that was even kinda appealing, except maybe the djinn guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
how yall gonna talk about 3D anime and not mention Trigun Stampede

I know Lustrous is the same folks and arguably more... Ambitious? Interesting? Visually, because of it's unique subject matter, but Stampede was the first CG TV anime that I never once questioned the aesthetic of even a little.

Orange is in a class of their own. That poo poo looked better than a lot of big budget CG movies, frankly.